Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: POST: Voodoo Lounge Songwriting Sessions - Vol 01 (StonyRoad/Glimmerman SGP 01)
Posted by: 1fatum ()
Date: September 11, 2021 09:03

Thank You

Re: POST: Voodoo Lounge Songwriting Sessions - Vol 01 (StonyRoad/Glimmerman SGP 01)
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 11, 2021 10:39

smileys with beer

HMN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 11, 2021 11:47

Couple of useless remarks :

- "Breakin'" returns! Keef did it in 85, he reworked it in 87 then in 93 he offers it to Mick. To me track "01-04 sounds like Mick solo on drum machine and keyboards trying to figure out what he could do with the song...

- I really like "Look Out Baby" and its swirling melody. Too bad it sounds like "Continental Drift" a bit too much...

- if you're broad-minded "Mick's idea #2" could be a distant precursor to "Baby Break It Down".

I really hope vol.2 will include another version of "Randy Whore". I always loved that track!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-11 13:09 by dcba.

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: September 11, 2021 11:53

Again, a really nice project!
Thank you StonyRoad and all your partners in crime.
thumbs up

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: September 11, 2021 12:40

Thanks for sharing those gems! Can't wait for Vol. 2 and 3! Could Mick's idea 1 maybe be an early version of Blinded by Rainbows?

Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: September 11, 2021 13:09

dcba

I really hope vol.2 will include another version of "Randy Whore". I always loved that track!
they're on Vol 03 (with Charlie)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-11 13:10 by StonyRoad.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 11, 2021 13:16

What's strange is that Keith doesn't sound relaxed at all, unlike Mick, it had already struck me on the 2002 "Trouble" rehearsal where he nervously goes on about "3' pop single" stuff and the intro he can't nail again. Same here with the "sounds like Disney" on "Keith's Idea #1". Not the "cool Keith" he played in interviews. Now of course he may have been on "stimulants" ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 11, 2021 14:12

Thanks

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 11, 2021 14:32

dcba
Couple of useless remarks :

- "Breakin'" returns! Keef did it in 85, he reworked it in 87 then in 93 he offers it to Mick. To me track "01-04 sounds like Mick solo on drum machine and keyboards trying to figure out what he could do with the song...

- I really like "Look Out Baby" and its swirling melody. Too bad it sounds like "Continental Drift" a bit too much...

- if you're broad-minded "Mick's idea #2" could be a distant precursor to "Baby Break It Down".

I only hear computer drums and synthesizer percusions, no Charlie.

There's indeed a coupl eof Baby Break it Down guitar licks in there.

Mathijs

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: September 11, 2021 14:45

Mathijs

Mathijs

He will later appear in all his glory (on Vol. 3 and 4). But at first we only have Mick & Keith and a dreadful drum computer...

20th April - mid-May 1993: St. Philip, Barbados, West Indies, Blue Wave Studios.
Writing and demo sessions by Mick JAGGER (voc, gtr, keyb, bass), Keith RICHARDS (gtr, voc, p, bass) and Charlie WATTS (dr, perc, April 30 onwards; for the two last volumes).

N

Date: September 11, 2021 15:15

Mathijs

Mathijs

Can I have your expert ear on "Make It Now"?
I hear computer drums and piano by Keith. Wouldn't be a premiere to hear him play a machine?
And in retrospect the 09.15 version of "Make It Now" that was on "Voodoo Residue" could also be recorded with a drum machine (sth that completely eluded me back in 1996 or so : I thought it was Charlie dabbling in calypso beat).

"What's strange is that Keith doesn't sound relaxed at all, unlike Mick, it had already struck me on the 2002 "Trouble" rehearsal where he nervously goes on about "3' pop single" stuff and the intro he can't nail again. Same here with the "sounds like Disney" on "Keith's Idea #1". Not the "cool Keith" he played in interviews. Now of course he may have been on "stimulants"

G. maybe it's what people pompously call "inner creative tension" : Keith feels a song in formation inside of him and he doesn't want to mess up the process and miss the song.
Around 95-96 in interviews he explained his idea of songwriting : opening your antenna and getting the creative "signal" the best you can.

He also told how "Thru and Thru" came to him : after a night in town with Pierre he went home when he suddenly said "Incoming! Incoming Pierre!". And they went to the studio instead of going to bed.
Maybe that's that kind of tension that broods in him on these private recordings...?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 11, 2021 15:39

dcba
Mathijs

Mathijs

Can I have your expert ear on "Make It Now"?
I hear computer drums and piano by Keith. Wouldn't be a premiere to hear him play a machine?
And in retrospect the 09.15 version of "Make It Now" that was on "Voodoo Residue" could also be recorded with a drum machine (sth that completely eluded me back in 1996 or so : I thought it was Charlie dabbling in calypso beat).

"What's strange is that Keith doesn't sound relaxed at all, unlike Mick, it had already struck me on the 2002 "Trouble" rehearsal where he nervously goes on about "3' pop single" stuff and the intro he can't nail again. Same here with the "sounds like Disney" on "Keith's Idea #1". Not the "cool Keith" he played in interviews. Now of course he may have been on "stimulants"

G. maybe it's what people pompously call "inner creative tension" : Keith feels a song in formation inside of him and he doesn't want to mess up the process and miss the song.
Around 95-96 in interviews he explained his idea of songwriting : opening your antenna and getting the creative "signal" the best you can.

He also told how "Thru and Thru" came to him : after a night in town with Pierre he went home when he suddenly said "Incoming! Incoming Pierre!". And they went to the studio instead of going to bed.
Maybe that's that kind of tension that broods in him on these private recordings...?

I noticed it too, and I fully agree with you, Keith doesn't sound relaxed and it appears that he is annoyed by the drum machine and the synth sounds, which indeed are quite awful. At parts he is trying to find a melody but Mick keeps messing up on the piano and synth, playing the wrong chords and this annoys him as well.

Mathijs

Date: September 11, 2021 16:20

StonyRoad
dcba

they're on Vol 03 (with Charlie)

Thank you Norbert!
Btw I'm beginning to wonder if "Randy Whore" II (03.58) actually has Charlie on drums, not Mick. The drumming is better, classier than on "Randy Whore" I and it has a roll at the very end.
Would MIck be able to do that on top of putting rough vocals while drumming?

Posted by: joguema ()
Date: September 11, 2021 17:59

Thank you very much for all your work and for sharing it with us!

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: September 11, 2021 21:25

Thanks a lot for your work!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 11, 2021 23:20

wow thanks voodoo lounge just keeps giving we've just had a terrific year and a half of studio leaks hope they keep coming
looking forward to future volumes

Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: September 12, 2021 09:40

This looks great. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: September 12, 2021 13:11

Now also uploaded by The Glimmer Stone (not to be confused with Glimmerman) on YT.

[www.youtube.com]

I can't blame him for not giving credit and normally his (video) uploads are great, but am I the only one who thinks that (lossy audio) uploads of outtake collections suck?

N

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: September 12, 2021 17:01

NeddieFlanders
Now also uploaded by The Glimmer Stone (not to be confused with Glimmerman) on YT.

[www.youtube.com]

I can't blame him for not giving credit and normally his (video) uploads are great, but am I the only one who thinks that (lossy audio) uploads of outtake collections suck?

N

Actually he credited verbally Glimmerman and StonyRoad for sharing the tapes and for reworking and uploading the stuff! He also copied the IORR posted text by Norbert, so nothing to be said here.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: September 12, 2021 18:00

THX

Posted by: anco ()
Date: September 12, 2021 21:10

thank you very much!!!!

Posted by: toomanycds ()
Date: September 12, 2021 22:22

Thank you for all of these meticulous curated projects

Posted by: rayrad ()
Date: September 13, 2021 12:02

StonyRoad
rayrad
this looks great!

many thanks!

but am i being dense? can't see a dl link

Sorry, It seems that after these holidays I had lost the habit!

ah, no worries!

thanks so much!

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: September 13, 2021 12:38

Thank you very much
smileys with beer

Posted by: finn ()
Date: September 13, 2021 14:21

Thank You

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: September 17, 2021 12:17

Also availabel in Stonesvault

The Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge Songwriting Sessions - Vol 01 (StonyRoadGlimmerman SGP 01)
[www.filefactory.com]

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: September 18, 2021 11:34

stonesmuziekfan
Also availabel in Stonesvault

The Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge Songwriting Sessions - Vol 01 (StonyRoadGlimmerman SGP 01)
[www.filefactory.com]
Missed the WT link for Volume 1, so thanks for this!!!

Posted by: toomanycds ()
Date: September 25, 2021 17:39

Many thanks for all 4 volumes of this diligent labor of love.

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: December 7, 2022 22:02

I was just about to send this to a friend when I realised, I don’t have ‘em any more.

Please would someone upload to WT.

Thank you.

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: December 8, 2022 14:52

sandandglue
I was just about to send this to a friend when I realised, I don’t have ‘em any more.

Please would someone upload to WT.

Thank you.

[we.tl]

Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: September 10, 2021 15:02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-08 14:53 by StoneZP.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home