Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1972 American Tour Appreciation Thread
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: April 25, 2020 03:28

I wish I could get up on my Promopub Pulpit and verily say unto the Church of Dietrich Movies and Closeup Boogies, what the really meaningful parts of the tour were.

Which songs at which shows surpassed anything they'd played live. Before I begin my short statement, I have to finally get something off of my chest: I know it makes me sound like an inveterate snob, but it's kinda sad and even more annoying when Jose Ph yew see kay eye and gee grabs a tailgate from 72 in 2010, and announces to the world that THEY and THEY alone, invented a cocktail named Tequila Sunrise, Ladies and Gentlemen! Yes indeed! And The Rolling Stones, during the 7 weeks of just doing their nightly job of blowing away 20,000 fans, discovered this magic elixir and their lives were forever changed!

I was there. I was 13 and lived in Hicksville, Long Island, New York. Everybody talked about the shows.

It's people, 40+ years later, thinking they can smile sky ward and some of the lustre of the 72 tour will fall on them, and then they start talking about things like they were actually there. And they're so full of crap, getting all the facts wrong, that I just want to give them the two fingered salute, and go put on the Bay City Rolllers.

But what was your favourite part of the tour, musically? The beginning, when the songs were fresh, but the band was adapting to the massive amplification, the sports areanas packed to the gills with devotees.

The "Texas Dip," as I refer to it.

Or the second month of the tour? I remember getting stoned and listending to Charlotte. Whoa! Just whoa! The closest I ever felt to being at one of the shows.

Or the final frantic two weeks, when the band was taking longer and longer to go on, because they couldn't take it anymore. Once they walked out there, the energy from the audience pushed them through the hour and fifteen minutes.

But I'd like to hear from everybody who has an opinion, good and bad, about the Summer of 1972, the year The Stones threw the gauntlet down, and said, "Old? Us? Not on your @#$%& life!!!"

Re: 1972 American Tour Appreciation Thread
Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 08:11

At Washington DC, July 4, when the fires in the street made them play the final four faster than ever before. Something they must have learned in Scandinavia and Germany years before, when the fans rioted and threw chairs.

Date: April 25, 2020 09:28

What do you mean 'fires in the street"?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 25, 2020 17:20

The closest I’ll get is listening to the recordings and reading STP. Unless I saw them in a past life, I suppose.

My dad said he skipped seeing them because he didn’t have the money. He said he still regrets not finding a way, and he isn’t a man known for regrets. They played all around our area: Detroit, Akron, even Indianapolis wouldn’t have been too far.

At least he saw them in ‘69 as a senior in high school and they blew his mind.

Date: April 25, 2020 21:27

The DC show is said to have been concluded hastily because there was race rioting in the city, and fires had been started. No?

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: April 26, 2020 00:51

Wrong Forum for this Post should have been on 'Tell Me" 'Great as 1972 Tour was I prefered 1973 European Tour. They peaked then. Is there a better perfomance from 1972 than Brussels 1973. ? I have not heard it yet IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 00:57 by Tonstone.

Date: April 26, 2020 02:47

andrews27
The DC show is said to have been concluded hastily because there was race rioting in the city, and fires had been started. No?

No, that it not true. One wise precaution Mick took was to avoid wearing the big leather belt that he wore until "Midnight Rambler." It would have been too easy for some crazed nutter to push themselves onto the stage and wrap their hand around that belt and throw Mick into the crowd, making him England's freshest condiment for a hot dog.

You'll notice the audience member circled in white in the first pic. Just to show you why it was wise to take extra security precautions, the stage was 12 feet, or 3,7m, high.

Date: April 26, 2020 02:50

Tonstone
Wrong Forum for this Post should have been on 'Tell Me" 'Great as 1972 Tour was I prefered 1973 European Tour. They peaked then. Is there a better perfomance from 1972 than Brussels 1973. ? I have not heard it yet IMO.

I don't know anybody over in "Tell Me," Tonstone. Call my lawyer. smiling bouncing smiley

I'm surprised to hear you say that about 73. I always thought they sounded tired, drunk and burnt out in 73. Which UK/Europe shows stand out for you? I'll give them a listen as soon as I see your reply.

Date: April 26, 2020 06:08

Here's an article from somebody who was at DC on July 4, 1972. She cites cops tear gassing the crowd; but she also says they played over 2 hours and took 3 encores...

[ezinearticles.com]

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: April 26, 2020 10:06

HEILOOBAAS
Tonstone

I don't know anybody over in "Tell Me," Tonstone. Call my lawyer. smiling bouncing smiley

I'm surprised to hear you say that about 73. I always thought they sounded tired, drunk and burnt out in 73. Which UK/Europe shows stand out for you? I'll give them a listen as soon as I see your reply.

Ok no problem about the 'Tell Me' so I won't be calling your lawyer Lol! I also don't post there too often. I gave you a show Brussels ?. London 8th, September early show, London 9th September Birmingham Sept 19th, Glasgow 16th September - Glasgow 17th September [Ok you probably have not heard this one] Hey it's all about opinions, as I said the 72 tour was great and maybe they were more consistent overall, but I think when they clicked in 73' that was their live peak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 21:31 by Tonstone.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 27, 2020 16:58

1971one was the best

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: April 28, 2020 19:42

In 2002 I wrote "Some people are still not back from the 1972 Rolling Stones tour." Still kinda true. I was lucky to see 17 shows, often from Keith's boot.

May I take this opportunity to issue a challenge to the great community here on iorr:

I want a posed photo of the 1972 stage band. Not the whole crew photo in Rolling Stone magazine.Admittedly, I have not read every book on The Stones but rest assured I have looked for such a photo.

Happy Hunting!

Living In A Ghost Town

Date: April 28, 2020 21:11

Glimmerman, who the neuk do you think the Stones are, Donny and Neuking Marie? THEY DON'T POSE. However, this is the best I could do for you a short notice.

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: April 28, 2020 21:49

Haha! Thanks, I almost added that I realize they were hardly poseurs in those days. But come on...no offstage picture of the Exile band exists??

Posted by: Darin75 ()
Date: April 29, 2020 05:31

I’m favorite shows are LA Forum June 11th 1st show, Toronto July 15th 2nd show. Superb audience recordings that capture their respective shows. They jam hard on You Can’t Always Get What You Want and Midnight Rambler!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home