Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
My remaster of The Nicaraguan Benefit Concert LA 1973
Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: April 3, 2020 08:53

This is one of those pet projects of a favorite show that has been going on for over 10 years.
The source for this was the "All Meat Music" CD that was a rip of the TMOQ original Vinyl. I think it was the NO Label CD.

The tracks were joined together and I went to town from there - de-clicking / hum reducing / adding depth / tweaking EQ / trying to find Bill's bass in there / making Charlie clearer / Endless list of things I wanted to improve.

The TMOQ rip vinyl has a few flaws - the middle of the original recording sounds best and responded best to the clean up. This whole journey started because I wanted to see if I could make Route 66, It's All Over Now, and No Expectations sound better.

There is low vinyl rumble on the quieter parts where Mick is talking on some of the rougher tracks - again this is drawn out from the original vinyl so apologies for this. I still need to clean the low end up.
It is also a bit bright in spots due to the original having so much crackle to reduce and then trying to bring the highs back out after reducing crackle.

These files are MP3 - I am still working on the multitrack AIFF file that is massive.
So if there is some love I will upload a pure FLAC file when I eventually get it finished.

Enjoy,
Soundboard

Link Good to April 10

[we.tl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-03 09:34 by soundboard.

Re: My remaster of The Nicaraguan Benefit Concert LA 1973
Posted by: fdajef ()
Date: April 3, 2020 09:47

Thx smiling smiley

Posted by: Peterdv ()
Date: April 3, 2020 10:58

tx will have a listen immediately, kr Pete

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: April 3, 2020 11:04

Thank you. I have listened to every incarnation of this show extant. This is by far the cleanest version I've heard. Please continue on this project, as it would do the most justice to this show.

One question, and you'll want to kill me, I know. I for one would be fascinated by a song by song account of what technique(s) you utilised in improving upon the original.

Cheers

Posted by: Andrea82 ()
Date: April 3, 2020 11:06

Thanks! I would like to have FLAC ..

Posted by: intercepter ()
Date: April 3, 2020 13:39

thanks!!!!!

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: April 3, 2020 13:39

Thanks!

Date: April 3, 2020 15:31

Andrea82
Thanks! I would like to have FLAC ..

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 3, 2020 16:14

Thank you! It sounds great on my little laptop speakers, I'll hook it up to my monitors in a bit and crank it!

A few questions:

Are the other digital versions ripped from vinyl as well? I guess I'm just curious as to why you chose that particular source.

Isn't there a rumor they played Midnight Rambler as an encore? I seem to remember this show and Perth (another favorite that deserves cleanup) weren't totally complete.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: April 3, 2020 16:23

Thanks a lot .

Date: April 3, 2020 16:36

I just noticed Taylor uses a slide on happy. I don't recall him using one on the 1972 tour.

Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: April 3, 2020 16:57

Yes, please upload a FLAC set when finished. THANKS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-04 06:11 by andrews27.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 3, 2020 17:02

TravelinMan
A few questions:

Are the other digital versions ripped from vinyl as well?

Silkcut1978_ did a vinyl rip long time ago:

[iorr.org]

CVBS 051

Posted by: westonkeef ()
Date: April 3, 2020 18:57

Thank you! Looking forward to the FLAC version.

Date: April 3, 2020 23:13

Rank Stranger
TravelinMan
A few questions:

Are the other digital versions ripped from vinyl as well?

Silkcut1978_ did a vinyl rip long time ago:

[iorr.org]

CVBS 051

It seems with this version the tracks reworked to sound their best.

Date: April 3, 2020 23:39

Thanks Everyone for your positive comments.
I will answer more questions in detail tonight eastern time.

Regarding the source - I heard that the original tape for this show was lost and the vinyl is the only source.
The Vinyl that was ripped and released was supposed to be a pretty clean copy.
There may be a cleaner copy / earlier pressing out there somewhere that could be ripped.
If anyone has more info feel free to speak up.

I need to check Silkcut78's rip as a reference.

Thanks again for the kind comments!
More tonight.

Soundboard

Date: April 4, 2020 00:56

TravelinMan
Thank you! It sounds great on my little laptop speakers, I'll hook it up to my monitors in a bit and crank it!

A few questions:

Are the other digital versions ripped from vinyl as well? I guess I'm just curious as to why you chose that particular source.

Isn't there a rumor they played Midnight Rambler as an encore? I seem to remember this show and Perth (another favorite that deserves cleanup) weren't totally complete.

It isn't a rumour it's fact and it's been covered to death in this forum. No audience source exists bit it's highly likely a soundboard version exists that we probably won't hear. Why not just enjoy the concert for what it is instead of chasing after a more than likely dull version of MR? If you finally acquire it, what else will you want.
After that, what will you want?

Date: April 4, 2020 05:46

HEILOOBAAS
TravelinMan

A few questions:

It isn't a rumour it's fact and it's been covered to death in this forum. No audience source exists bit it's highly likely a soundboard version exists that we probably won't hear. Why not just enjoy the concert for what it is instead of chasing after a more than likely dull version of MR? If you finally acquire it, what else will you want.
After that, what will you want?

Chill out with the large red font. It was just a point of discussion to confirm this was the show that MR was the encore. I wasn’t asking for it. It’s a unique show–like I noticed today–the first one Taylor plays slide on Happy.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 4, 2020 06:10

I have an old Mickboy remaster of the vinyl. I am going to dl this and compare the two just for lack of anything else to do. Thanks for the opportunity and your work on it!

jb

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: April 4, 2020 17:48

Thanks Soundboard!

Date: April 4, 2020 19:06

HEILOOBAAS
Thank you. I have listened to every incarnation of this show extant. This is by far the cleanest version I've heard. Please continue on this project, as it would do the most justice to this show.

One question, and you'll want to kill me, I know. I for one would be fascinated by a song by song account of what technique(s) you utilised in improving upon the original.

Cheers

Hi HEILOBAAS,
Thanks again for your kind comments.
I used two programs - first Soundsoap - good tools for cleaning up vinyl.
The other Amadeus Pro - many features in this software,
All tracks were joined into one massive file.
Then normalize the volume across the entire file.
Created separate tracks using EQ to try to extract more of certain instruments.
From there see what tweaks work across the entire file and then focus on portions that may need more.
Added some depth with echo and reverb across the entire file in another track.
Then mixed levels.
It's really a crap shoot seeing what tools work.
But a fun project - it just takes time..

Posted by: britstones ()
Date: April 5, 2020 02:09

Thank you.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 5, 2020 03:28

If you are doing a lot of work to make the best sound, then why mp3?

Date: April 5, 2020 03:33

What do you use to add echo and reverb?

Thanks

Date: April 5, 2020 06:59

exilestones

Hi ExileStones,
I have not finished the project yet - with the downtime right now I thought maybe it was a good time to get some opinions to see if I am on the right track. I still need to address rumble in a big way.
MP3 was fast and easy = for FLAC I want to take more time to mix down and share then.

For reverb and echo - in Amadeus Pro there are some options - you can also create your own settings within these tools.

Thanks for checking it out.
Soundboard

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: April 5, 2020 10:51

Thank you very much smiling smiley

Date: April 5, 2020 23:05

soundboard
exilestones

Hi ExileStones,
I have not finished the project yet - with the downtime right now I thought maybe it was a good time to get some opinions to see if I am on the right track. I still need to address rumble in a big way.
MP3 was fast and easy = for FLAC I want to take more time to mix down and share then.

For reverb and echo - in Amadeus Pro there are some options - you can also create your own settings within these tools.

Thanks for checking it out.
Soundboard

Thanks. I'll give it a spin.

Date: April 5, 2020 23:10

I'll post some pics from this concert if you need them.

Date: April 23, 2020 05:50

Can you reup this, please? I reckon there's quite a few site members who missed this post.

Thanks!

Date: April 23, 2020 07:24

Here's a new wt link:

https://we.tl/t-u2610cxsWp

soundboard
This is one of those pet projects of a favorite show that has been going on for over 10 years.
The source for this was the "All Meat Music" CD that was a rip of the TMOQ original Vinyl. I think it was the NO Label CD.

The tracks were joined together and I went to town from there - de-clicking / hum reducing / adding depth / tweaking EQ / trying to find Bill's bass in there / making Charlie clearer / Endless list of things I wanted to improve.

The TMOQ rip vinyl has a few flaws - the middle of the original recording sounds best and responded best to the clean up. This whole journey started because I wanted to see if I could make Route 66, It's All Over Now, and No Expectations sound better.

There is low vinyl rumble on the quieter parts where Mick is talking on some of the rougher tracks - again this is drawn out from the original vinyl so apologies for this. I still need to clean the low end up.
It is also a bit bright in spots due to the original having so much crackle to reduce and then trying to bring the highs back out after reducing crackle.

These files are MP3 - I am still working on the multitrack AIFF file that is massive.
So if there is some love I will upload a pure FLAC file when I eventually get it finished.

Enjoy,
Soundboard

Link Good to April 10

[we.tl]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home