Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ATLANTIC CITY '89 - REMASTERED FM REBROADCAST?
Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: April 29, 2019 07:02

I recall that maybe a couple of weeks after the live broadcast, WXRT radio here in Chicago (and presumably many other radio stations) rebroadcast the show with remastered sound. This may have coincided with the Fox-tv broadcast that included the 3-D tracks.

I recall the mix didn't seem as strong as the original with the guitars a bit subdued but the background instruments a bit more prominent.

So does anyone recall this and is there a boot of this available anywhere??

Thanks,
Steve

Re: ATLANTIC CITY '89 - REMASTERED FM REBROADCAST?
Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: April 29, 2019 14:50

My recollection of the 3-D TV broadcast is that guitars were replaced with sweetened dubs, which, I thought at the time, was a trashy move.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 29, 2019 17:50

sbetz
I recall that maybe a couple of weeks after the live broadcast, WXRT radio here in Chicago (and presumably many other radio stations) rebroadcast the show with remastered sound. This may have coincided with the Fox-tv broadcast that included the 3-D tracks.

I recall the mix didn't seem as strong as the original with the guitars a bit subdued but the background instruments a bit more prominent.

So does anyone recall this and is there a boot of this available anywhere??

Thanks,
Steve

This has never been booted. VH-1 did a rebroadcast with remastered sound and video. The easy marker is in Sad Sad Sad. The original broadcast Bobby's first note of the sax solo is way down in the mix. It was remastered by Bob Clearmountain.

The Fox 3-D has the remixed songs but many songs are missing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-02 03:43 by exilestones.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: April 30, 2019 01:57

I recorded in 1990 on VHS the Fox Channel 5 in New York, free re-broadcast of the Atlantic City pay per view originally performed on December 19th, 1989.

The rebroadcast was on May 30th, 1990, sponsored by Budweiser.

It was remixed, edited as a shorter concert, had commercials, and contained a 3 song 3-D segment that utilized special glasses obtained prior from 7 eleven here in the states .
My recollection was that the 3 3-D songs were not from 12/19, but rather from the next day show 12/20, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I'm re watching it now to recall.
Here's Sad Sad Sad to analyze the mix. Mick's guitar is very prominent, and Bobby Keys sax is quite clear and up front.

I don't recall any radio station audio re broadcast of the original show. But of course the original pay per per view has been bootlegged on CD for many years in excellent stereo quality with pre and post show segments.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-30 01:58 by deardoctortake1.

Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: April 30, 2019 06:28

Whatever comparisons are accurate, the 3-D was a botch job for fans, and is only valuable as a completist-collector artifact.

Date: May 1, 2019 03:55

The VH-1 Rebroadcast was not the Fox 3-D.

Date: May 1, 2019 03:59

The Fox 3-D was very cool being remixed. I believe the Fox 3-D aired before the VH-1 Rebroadcast. It also included three songs shot in Tokyo 1990 which gave us another soundboard and pro-shot 2000 Light Years From Home as well as It's Only rock and Roll and Paint It Black.

Date: May 1, 2019 04:00

None of the boots out there have the soundtrack from VH-1 Rebroadcast or the Fox 3-D. They all have the pay-per-view mix.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: May 1, 2019 16:44

wasn´t the Mid Valley release "Cocaine and Kiss" taken from one of the re-broadcasts ? sounds really different to the TSP or CC realeases to me

Date: May 2, 2019 03:42

Dorn
wasn´t the Mid Valley release "Cocaine and Kiss" taken from one of the re-broadcasts ? sounds really different to the TSP or CC realeases to me

The easy marker is in Sad Sad Sad. The original broadcast Bobby's first note of the sax solo is way down in the mix.

Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: May 3, 2019 16:12

Dorn, based on exilestones' comment about the markers in the rebroadcast audio, do you think that the 'Cocaine And Kiss' is in fact the remastered version?

Thanks

Date: May 4, 2019 01:02

sbetz
Dorn, based on exilestones' comment about the markers in the rebroadcast audio, do you think that the 'Cocaine And Kiss' is in fact the remastered version?

Thanks

Did you check the first note of Booby's solo on Sad, Sad Sad?

Date: May 4, 2019 01:10

If you have the Fox 3-D, VH-1 Rebroadcast and Flashpoint, then you have almost every track remixed by Bob Clearmountain.

There is a Atlantic City '89 that was streamed on Wolfgang's Vault but the sound is thin (for lack of a better word).

You can tell the FOX 3-D because the set list is different. The main thing to check is if It's Only Rock and Roll, Paint It Black and 2,000 Light Years From Home are together in the set list. Of course those three songs are from Tokyo 1900 rehearsals and not Atlantic City '89.

Posted by: Ya-Yas ()
Date: May 4, 2019 11:09

Hi,
I´ve been looking for the gramophone recods of the infamous Tokyo 1900 rehearsals for ages! Is there a kind soul who could share it or perhaps send me a telegraph spinning smiley sticking its tongue out?

Matti XVI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-04 11:38 by Ya-Yas.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: May 4, 2019 12:23

sbetz

Thanks

i have compared now SSS of the TSP, CC and MV releases as well as Flashpoint. Bobby´s solo on the unofficial releases seems to be identical, low in the mix and in the middle, whereas on Flashpont it is much clearer and more in the right channel

Date: May 6, 2019 17:50

Cocaine and Kiss MV-187-88-89

MV 1.32 First note(s) of Bobby's solo, before "I get a cold chill" is buried which says it's from the pay-per-view. It's so far down in the mix you can't really hear it.

Date: May 8, 2019 05:21

Dorn
sbetz

Thanks

i have compared now SSS of the TSP, CC and MV releases as well as Flashpoint. Bobby´s solo on the unofficial releases seems to be identical, low in the mix and in the middle, whereas on Flashpont it is much clearer and more in the right channel

I look for a good example of what I'm talking about when U get a little time next week. I'm so use to watch my VHS video tape and watching Bobby blow that first note that can't be heard and then the second note he's up in the mix. On the MV release (what I checked) the whole sax is lost and it's very hard to tell what I'm talking about. Until next time..

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: May 8, 2019 05:28

In searching my archives , I still can’t find any reference to a VH-1 program regarding AC 89.
However I did find and now recall a tape recording of the Fox 5/30/90 show that was simulcast on ABC radio. It’s a high quality wide stereo simulcast of the show, with the same TV commercials.j
I don’t know if this radio broadcast has been booted.
After listening to this stereo simulcast, I can say that the Sad Sad Sad marker does have Bobby Keys first solo note up in the mix.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home