Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Stones Book
Posted by: wtravis ()
Date: January 15, 2019 16:27

Re: New Stones Book
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 15, 2019 17:40

not interested in this period. But Thanks for the info, anyway.
Jeroen

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 15, 2019 18:11

Please, no more. No more books on Brian's 'murder'. No more books on their social impact in the swingin' 60s.

Date: January 15, 2019 18:22

This book is neither about Brian's murder nor the Stones social impact of the 1960s. It's not boorish academia, tired biography, or historical analysis. It's fun romp through an exciting period when the Stones and London were buzzing with creativity. It's written in active snappy prose, so you get the feeling you're there, a fly on the wall, digging the music and the vibe of swinging London.

If you like this period, you'll dig this book.

Date: January 15, 2019 20:04

Please, please please. No more.
jeroen

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 15, 2019 22:37

Date: January 15, 2019 22:39

wtravis
This book is neither about Brian's murder nor the Stones social impact of the 1960s. It's not boorish academia, tired biography, or historical analysis. It's fun romp through an exciting period when the Stones and London were buzzing with creativity. It's written in active snappy prose, so you get the feeling you're there, a fly on the wall, digging the music and the vibe of swinging London.

The Brian Jones Stones were the best. That is when they were the Rolling Stones. Good band without him but the natural magic was gone.

Date: January 15, 2019 22:41

wtravis

Oh.just to make some quick money..
Oh yeah ioh okay allright oh bye pmmg
Jeroen

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2019 23:05

… Give the guy a break .. it might be a good read ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 15, 2019 23:08

Carnaby
wtravis

The Brian Jones Stones were the best. That is when they were the Rolling Stones. Good band without him but the natural magic was gone.

Unfortunately for him he made himself non-essential to the band. He should never have put down his guitar.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 15, 2019 23:12

Rockman

smileys with beer

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 15, 2019 23:33

Cristiano Radtke
Rockman

smileys with beer

thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 15, 2019 23:50

Agreed, Terry. I'll wait until I can read it before judging it.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 16, 2019 01:56

Rockman

Indeed.

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: January 16, 2019 02:02

Personally, the only period of the Stones i’m truly interested in is the Brian era,in particular 1966/67, so i for one look forward to this!

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 16, 2019 02:09

I ordered this book nearly 2 years ago !! NEVER got it & after many many emails all they said was "it has been delayed" I think these folks are a RIPOFF...they took my $ & never sent me anything...deal with them at your own risk...RIPOFF...

Date: January 16, 2019 02:54

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 16, 2019 03:16

24FPS
Carnaby
wtravis

Unfortunately for him he made himself non-essential to the band. He should never have put down his guitar.

How could anyone get bored with the guitar just after a hand full of years is beyond me. You have a good point.

Date: January 16, 2019 03:38

detroitken
I ordered this book nearly 2 years ago !! NEVER got it & after many many emails all they said was "it has been delayed" I think these folks are a RIPOFF...they took my $ & never sent me anything...deal with them at your own risk...RIPOFF...

Books are delayed for a number reasons, having worked in book publishing. I've contacted the publisher and they are firming up a delivery date for this year.

Date: January 16, 2019 06:38

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 16, 2019 10:01

24FPS

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
This can't be but a teaser... "he should never have ..." How (eventually) boring LPs like Aftermath and Between the Buttons would have been if Brian's contribution would only have been his guitar playing.
At his peak he was the most beautiful (musical) flower, but a flower destined to bloom only for a short time. Luckily that beauty is all stored on records, so by just closing your eyes that beauty can still be enjoyed at any time. No filter...
smileys with beer

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 16, 2019 10:22

wtravis
detroitken

Books are delayed for a number reasons, having worked in book publishing. I've contacted the publisher and they are firming up a delivery date for this year.

That made me laugh for a number of reasons. And then I sighed…

Um, as the author of this ponderous must-have tome, I would think you might have a little more specific knowledge as to why the book has been delayed. Of course, one doesn’t have to be a rocket scientist or even a ‘veteran Rolling Stones historian’ to fathom the reason – pitifully weak pre-order sales. But they’re ‘firming up a date,’ huh? Ok, but in the meantime how about a 20-page excerpt and a small expression of gratitude to detroitken?

Date: January 16, 2019 11:23

More Hot Rocks

How could anyone get bored with the guitar just after a hand full of years is beyond me. You have a good point.

An over simplification.

Points to consider:

He was never just a guitarist.

He didn't play guitar on either side of their debut single.

He had always been and continued to be interested in different sounds.

His playing is fine and present right up to and including the 1966 USA tour.

He injured his hand circa September 1966.

Bill noted a change in his personality circa late 1966.

The whole Anita thing happened in spring 1967.

The police went for him numerous times 1967 - 1968.

Regarding the split from Anita: "He changed suddenly and alarmingly from a bright and enthusiastic young man to a quiet and morose an inward looking young man... In our opinion he was never the same boy again!" - Lewis Jones

Regarding pressures from police: "It ruined him! He just couldn't take it!" - Mick Jagger

On life in general: "He just seemed to lose all heart." - Stu

Brian just seemed to lose interest in The Rolling Stones. Pressures and personal issues overtook him and his musicianship on all instruments suffered. Through all of this, he still played guitar at home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-16 11:26 by His Majesty.

Date: January 16, 2019 11:42

And he played brilliantly on Beggars Banquet. Soulful and from the heart. On Still A Fool as well.

One more point: When Mick and Keith started to find their way with the songwriting, the music scene had somewhat changed toward a more pop-ish sound in England. Brian was a blues guitarist. As we can hear on Aftermath, it's on numbers like Doncha Bother Me (a blues) where he shines the most on guitar.

He might have had trouble adjusting to some of the new stuff on guitar, and he might have mastered other instruments better for that type of music.

The stuff he came up with on other instruments deserves more credit from fans, imo. Hence, it's too easy to claim that he was fed up with the guitar.

Date: January 16, 2019 13:37

I will give him more breaks.
Jeroen

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 16, 2019 13:53

“He should never have put down his guitar”

Thanks to the 67 Drug Bust, we got; “We Love You”, Brian Jones on Mellotron! For me one of their Greatest Stones Songs ever!

Date: January 16, 2019 14:20

Swayed1967
wtravis
detroitken

Um, as the author of this ponderous must-have tome, I would think you might have a little more specific knowledge as to why the book has been delayed. Of course, one doesn’t have to be a rocket scientist or even a ‘veteran Rolling Stones historian’ to fathom the reason – pitifully weak pre-order sales. But they’re ‘firming up a date,’ huh? Ok, but in the meantime how about a 20-page excerpt and a small expression of gratitude to detroitken?

I have all the knowledge as to why the book was delayed, but I wouldn't out of respect for myself and the publisher discuss this in an open forum. However, I am happy to take responsibility and sincerely apologize for to those who are waiting for the book.

An excerpt will be forthcoming.

The only reason I posted the link was to see what kind of response for the book I would get from this forum. I'm not interested in pre-sales - no one makes money from pre-sales until the book is published. It was interesting to see how some thought it was a book on Brian's murder or the social impact of the Stones in the 1960s, neither of which is true. The book is fun - it's about an exciting and unique time in the group's career. I just have to make sure to potential readers that it's clear what this book is about. Thanks for all your feedback.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 16, 2019 14:36

DandelionPowderman
And he played brilliantly on Beggars Banquet. Soulful and from the heart. On Still A Fool as well.

One more point: When Mick and Keith started to find their way with the songwriting, the music scene had somewhat changed toward a more pop-ish sound in England. Brian was a blues guitarist. As we can hear on Aftermath, it's on numbers like Doncha Bother Me (a blues) where he shines the most on guitar.

He might have had trouble adjusting to some of the new stuff on guitar, and he might have mastered other instruments better for that type of music.

The stuff he came up with on other instruments deserves more credit from fans, imo. Hence, it's too easy to claim that he was fed up with the guitar.

Just of curiosity - how much did BJ contribute of songwriting?

Date: January 16, 2019 14:39

mtaylor

Just of curiosity - how much did BJ contribute of songwriting?

Not much, if anything, but lots to arranging.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 16, 2019 15:40

wtravis
Swayed1967
wtravis
detroitken

I have all the knowledge as to why the book was delayed, but I wouldn't out of respect for myself and the publisher discuss this in an open forum. However, I am happy to take responsibility and sincerely apologize for to those who are waiting for the book.

An excerpt will be forthcoming.

The only reason I posted the link was to see what kind of response for the book I would get from this forum. I'm not interested in pre-sales - no one makes money from pre-sales until the book is published. It was interesting to see how some thought it was a book on Brian's murder or the social impact of the Stones in the 1960s, neither of which is true. The book is fun - it's about an exciting and unique time in the group's career. I just have to make sure to potential readers that it's clear what this book is about. Thanks for all your feedback.

William,

With all due respect...
you posted a new thread in an open forum.

You didn't disclose that you were the author or even what the book was about.
If your sole intent was to "see what kind of response" you would get then you really can't be surprised by the reactions above.

detroitken deserves an apology and the truth. Please respect his request and let us all know what the real deal is here...

Thank you.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1391
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home