Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Would it be nice to have to have each song with its outtakes together
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 31, 2018 12:32

Just a thought.
For instance.

The official tie you up and thrn its 4 or 5 outtakes.
Undercover..and its 8 outtakes etc.

I have got all these different takes splattered over god knows how many cds.
Whats your view.
Jeroen

Re: Would it be nice to have to have each song with its outtakes together
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: August 31, 2018 13:16

You just got my vote - I can't believe that no one else thought of it

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: August 31, 2018 13:19

sounds like you're on to something....this list may help you do that

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 31, 2018 13:27

Hi Jeroen,

I live to get all of this material together but it never happens. I collect it all and have it in a folder on my Hard drives.

The recent Heart of Stone thread caught my attention. I started going through my collection to see how many times I have Heart of Stone. There may be fifty! I started copying them in one folder. Then it's back to my job and other life time consumers. Didn't get finished.

My objective is to find out how many versions of each song exist and which are in the best quality.

It's not as easy as it sound since songs get remixed and remastered and regurgitated over and over.

I spend more time downloading than I do sorting and comparing.

Great idea, Jeroen. I'll get back to everyone on how many times I have Heart of Stone from official releases and bootlegs. Paint It Black is an interesting song sort through.

My favorite Some Girls is - RS 1978 OFFICIAL - Some Girls CD TOCP-66456 Japan 2006. I love the mix, especially in Miss You. I can hear more nuances ( nuance is defined as "a subtle distinction or variation") in the 2005 TOCP-66456 release.

After you collect every release of each song then, which has the best sound? How many versions of each song are there? Is it different if it has 2009 or 1986 remastering (yes it is!)?

How many versions of Winter are there? There's a different outtake that sounds much like the official release. I'd like to find that one again. Oh well, back to the job to pay some bills.

[991.com]

Date: August 31, 2018 14:11

Hullo!!
Thanks for your replies.
If we all work together, we might achieve something great. would be nice to get this IORR project of the ground.

will keep you posted when i have some kind of stuff done.
jeroen

Date: August 31, 2018 14:28

exilestones
Hi Jeroen,

I live to get all of this material together but it never happens. I collect it all and have it in a folder on my Hard drives.

The recent Heart of Stone thread caught my attention. I started going through my collection to see how many times I have Heart of Stone. There may be fifty! I started copying them in one folder. Then it's back to my job and other life time consumers. Didn't get finished.

My objective is to find out how many versions of each song exist and which are in the best quality.

It's not as easy as it sound since songs get remixed and remastered and regurgitated over and over.

I spend more time downloading than I do sorting and comparing.

Great idea, Jeroen. I'll get back to everyone on how many times I have Heart of Stone from official releases and bootlegs. Paint It Black is an interesting song sort through.

My favorite Some Girls is - RS 1978 OFFICIAL - Some Girls CD TOCP-66456 Japan 2006. I love the mix, especially in Miss You. I can hear more nuances ( nuance is defined as "a subtle distinction or variation") in the 2005 TOCP-66456 release.

After you collect every release of each song then, which has the best sound? How many versions of each song are there? Is it different if it has 2009 or 1986 remastering (yes it is!)?

How many versions of Winter are there? There's a different outtake that sounds much like the official release. I'd like to find that one again. Oh well, back to the job to pay some bills.

[991.com]

Yeah exile, thats what i mean.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-31 16:04 by corriecas.

Date: August 31, 2018 16:10

Martin elliotts book can be a great help.just as aeppli and nicozentgraffs site ofcourse.but now to get all the diff.tskes of the ind.songs together...
My god.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-31 16:11 by corriecas.

Date: August 31, 2018 16:13

blakeeik

Thanks blakeeik
Jeroen

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: August 31, 2018 21:06

I have started to store all my Stones stuff on hard drive under recording session dates. This way you can listen to each recording session and each different take of a song in a rough chronological order.
It takes a long tome though to sort out and I do it through long winter evenings.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: August 31, 2018 23:11

The 50 Years Of Dirty Work torrents sorted chronological order, it's possibly a good start

Date: August 31, 2018 23:12

Kingbeebuzz
I have started to store all my Stones stuff on hard drive under recording session dates. This way you can listen to each recording session and each different take of a song in a rough chronological order.
It takes a long tome though to sort out and I do it through long winter evenings.
smileys with beer
Jeroen

Date: August 31, 2018 23:13

midimannz
The 50 Years Of Dirty Work torrents sorted chronological order, it's possibly a good start

Thanks!
jeroen

Date: September 1, 2018 15:08

corriecas
Kingbeebuzz
smileys with beer
Jeroen

I download and rip everything. Currently I'm copying all of the Heart of Stones in to one folder. Then I want to narrow down the best sound of each version.

One issue is that Stones songs have been remastered and remixed. How many times has each song has been remixed or/and remastered. Which has true stereo versions or fold down stereo or a true mono mix?

Here's a task in itself to figure out how many mixes of each song exist. Here's a question, "How many versions of Paint It Black are there?' The 1986 (I think it's 1986 aka 'Old Abko' is a great mono version, the most powerful version. The 1986 CDs sounds like crap over all BUT Japan's POCD catalog numbers used the Old Abkco mixes and put those mixes out in great sound. This is why the black banner on the bottom of the CD cover with the red pring "Digitally Remastered are on the Old Abkco and the POCD releases.

The Old Abkco mixes I think are great overall (Under My Thumb may be best here too) but it was all lost on poor sounding the CDs from the mid 1980s.

I ask How many times has each song been officially released under each master? How many masters of each song are out there in the world officially? I found there was more information on masters from the last twenty years. Before that time, it would all have to been done by ear like Starycat58 did in the Heart of Stone thread [iorr.org] .

Even with Kingbeebuzz's excellent work, these songs have been remixed time and time again. I sorted through every Miss You and every Paint It Black to find the best ones.

Someone who didn't know the Stones as well as we do once said to me, "I love PAINT IT BLACK. I think it's their best song!" I thought, "Which version of Paint It Black?" The long version with narrow stereo which I think was rereleased in the 2004 singles. Or the a long Hot Rocks version. Maybe a short version from Old Abkco or what about the guitar hero version with the hard longer ending? I don't like the stereo version as much, like 2000 Light Years from Home, Paint It Black isn't as powerful in stereo.

So, a question is how many remasters/remixes are there of each song and album? We know for example with Abkco the Stones were remastered/remixed in the mid 1980s and again in 2002. There's two.

Is the 2011 Singles Box another remastered. It says it is on the box.

One big division is the Abkco and post Abkco songs for remixes.

How about the 2009 post Abkco remasters? Are they any good. I thought Goats Head Soup mix sounded like crap (especially Mr. D) and the overall sound was bad but Black and Blue was awesome!

I can't tell you off hand how many Sticky Fingers CDs I have!

She's a Rainbow was released officially how many times on an LP and as a single? I'm not talking each and every catalog number but each remaster. Usually you can go by the year it was released to look for an LP version and a single but not with She's a Rainbow. It's well know that Satanic Majesties had a mono, stereo and fold down stereo version early on.

This 1978 rerelease probably had it's own mix. I don't really know.

see [www.discogs.com]

First I'd like to have a list of each basic version of each song as started by great Stones fans on this very thread.

Still want to find that other version of Winter that is similar to the official release.

A couple of more notes... My favorite You Can't Always Get What You Want comes from the Wide Stereo London (aka West Germanany mid 1980s). Favorite Sympathy (studio) come from one of second releases of The London Yearsconfused smileyingles Collection (corrected speed and best sound) 2007. There was something extra great sounding on a mid to late 1980 Rolled Gold but I can't remember what song! I'm thinking Out of Time.

I remember the best Honk Tonk was on a bootleg Westwood One but that was a while back but it was better sounding than what was official at that tome (1990s). You can tell by the solo. My favorite get Off My Cloud was on a Sister Morphine release but that was a while ago too.

How many Out of Times are there? I'll check Jeroen's notes. Hey, Jeroen, Do you have a website ;0)?

I also remember some of the best sounding songs such as Happy and Gimme Shelter were on 40 Licks but Grrr! may be better. I never really compared them. So many Stones projects, so little time.

One thing for sure is that you'll never run out of Stones projects for the rest of your life!

Thanks everyone for contributing. We not only have the best Stones fans on IORR but some of the best and coolest people ever!

No time to proof as I have to go to work.

Date: September 1, 2018 16:18

Hullo Exile..no i dont have a website.
Plan to do some research on my harddisc and maybe start this weekend for diff outtakes etc
All help is welcome but i think it will take a long long time.
Thank you kindly.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-01 16:21 by corriecas.

Date: September 2, 2018 00:11

corriecas
Hullo Exile..no i dont have a website.
Plan to do some research on my harddisc and maybe start this weekend for diff outtakes etc
All help is welcome but i think it will take a long long time.
Thank you kindly.
Jeroen

From Jeroen's research and PDF file:

Yes, I think it will take a very long time. I collect everything I can. If you
are interested in expanding your Heart of Stone section of your PDF file
here's some you can research: [wetransfer.com]

I'm not sure which version of Stones songs are in stereo. Maybe someone can help sort it out.

From the above download:
The track number before the song title indicates where that particular version
of Heart of Stone came from (with a few exceptions).

Track 4 = Rolling Stones NOW

Track 5 = Metamorphosis

Track 3 = Hot Rocks

Track 8 = Big Hits High Tides and Green Grass

Track 09 = GRRR!

Track 15 = The London Years

all others are from unofficial releases.

The information after the song title gives the catalog number or name of the
unofficial recording.

Here's my list so far and there's more! I suspect more slight variations when you go through this pile of Heart of Stones. I'll be glad to answer any questions or provide scan of covers, etc...

Examples:

15 Heart of Stone 844481 (Abkco) - Singles Collection - The London Years - 2002 3-CD Europe - Heart of Stone is track #15.

02 Heart of Stone P25L-25047 London Records - Hot Rocks 1989

04 Heart of Stone 8822892 SACD hybrid - Remastered Digipak 2002

The Rolling Stones Now Japan SHM-CD (Mini LP replica) UICY-93782

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 2, 2018 02:46

blakeeik

Great job as usual, blakeeik. Thanks for sharing! smileys with beer

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: September 2, 2018 03:31

Cristiano Radtke
blakeeik

Great job as usual, blakeeik. Thanks for sharing! smileys with beer

+1! Thanks for sharing it here! thumbs up

Date: September 2, 2018 17:24

Thanks a Lot, Blakeeik.
Jeroen.

Date: September 3, 2018 16:39

corriecas
Thanks a Lot, Blakeeik.
Jeroen.

Too funny!

Thanks, Jeroen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home