Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

30 Years Of Rolling Stones Bootleg CDs
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 13, 2018 23:02

30 years ago the 1st Rolling stones bootleg CD was released: LIVE IN LONDON 1963-65 on Document Records. I read somewhere that it was on Jan. 13, 1988, but can't find the link anymore.
Due to copyright gaps these discs were available in normal record shops back then.

See here: [dbboots.com]

Re: 30 Years Of Rolling Stones Bootleg CDs
Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: January 14, 2018 02:33

the first one (according to dieter hohffmann's "weissbuch") was "live in london 1963-65" on document records (dr 007) which came out in january 1988

this was a copy of the "stones at the beeb" bbc radio programme from november 1985 which included an hour of 'lost' stones bbc sessions from 1963-1965

first stones studio bootleg ever

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 14, 2018 04:41

midnrambler
30 years ago the 1st Rolling stones bootleg CD was released: LIVE IN LONDON 1963-65 on Document Records. I read somewhere that it was on Jan. 13, 1988, but can't find the link anymore.
Due to copyright gaps these discs were available in normal record shops back then.

And for a while after that too.....I remember buying Voodoo Kiss in my local record shop in 1995.........

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 14, 2018 09:09

midnrambler

What an ugly bullshit release. The first bootleg CD years were a desaster anyway. Most releases were taken from used LPs and had all the same stuff. Most concerts were incomplete. Complete new stuff like Basel 1990 sounded pretty awful and got awful covers. It got better in the middle 90s with VGP. But the Japan CDs were very hard to find then, and therefore very expensive.

Today a lot of first class bootlegs are being released and only a few crap issues, like the WLR boxes which are sometimes necessary nevertheless. The prices are cheaper than in the 90s because there are much fewer collectors. Most former CD collectors have given up (or died).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-14 09:29 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: January 14, 2018 12:57

I am happy to see I have a digital copy but sorry to see it is onlt 15.5 kHz
Ofcourse it can not be posted here

Posted by: fortilix ()
Date: January 14, 2018 13:59

Monsoon Ragoon
midnrambler

What an ugly bullshit release. The first bootleg CD years were a desaster anyway. Most releases were taken from used LPs and had all the same stuff. Most concerts were incomplete. Complete new stuff like Basel 1990 sounded pretty awful and got awful covers. It got better in the middle 90s with VGP. But the Japan CDs were very hard to find then, and therefore very expensive.

Today a lot of first class bootlegs are being released and only a few crap issues, like the WLR boxes which are sometimes necessary nevertheless. The prices are cheaper than in the 90s because there are much fewer collectors. Most former CD collectors have given up (or died).

I don't agree with you... In the first years I bought Swingin' Pig CDs that were really great releases. The Atlantic City boxset for instance was a treat in those years. And before that TSP-CD-003 1963-1965 Get Satisfaction - BBC,
TSP-CD-007 1964-1967 Conquer America,
TSP-CD-010 1963-1965 Bright Lights, Big City ...

I wouldn't call these disasters...

Date: January 14, 2018 15:15

fortilix
Monsoon Ragoon
midnrambler

I don't agree with you... In the first years I bought Swingin' Pig CDs that were really great releases. The Atlantic City boxset for instance was a treat in those years. And before that TSP-CD-003 1963-1965 Get Satisfaction - BBC,

Of course there were also usefull releases then. But if you compare with nowadays it was a dark era. There are very few releases from around 1990 that are still necessary.

Date: January 18, 2018 16:54

And here is the list to this thread: [workupload.com]

Posted by: toomanycds ()
Date: January 18, 2018 17:59

Are the 1st 2 songs from Oct. 27, 1962 Curly Clayton Sound Studio available on any bootlegs? Soon Forgotten and Close Together?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 18, 2018 19:46

toomanycds
Are the 1st 2 songs from Oct. 27, 1962 Curly Clayton Sound Studio available on any bootlegs? Soon Forgotten and Close Together?

Only in our dreams!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: toomanycds ()
Date: January 18, 2018 19:59

Deltics
toomanycds

Only in our dreams!

Thanks for the quick reply. I saw it listed on Felix's RS webpages and checked out the three boots listed for the session and each only had You Can't Judge a Book. Glad to know I'm not missing anything. Always fun tho to go back to those earliest cds.

Date: January 19, 2018 09:19

midnrambler

Wow. This is a working basis. But it's not perfect. I already noticed that it misses the VGP of both Toronto 72 shows, Standing At The Kitchen Door or the 5CD The Legend Of Emerald which has the three outtakes 1961-66 releases by Mayflower collected. Probably some more. A lot of errors are still included, most possible cross references are unfortunately missing. In many cases it remains unclear which release is actually the best of a certain show. Many sound quality gradings are wrong. It's a great idea, but can still get better.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-19 10:02 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: January 19, 2018 11:10

Monsoon Ragoon
midnrambler

Wow. This is a working basis. But it's not perfect. I already noticed that it misses the VGP of both Toronto 72 shows, Standing At The Kitchen Door or the 5CD The Legend Of Emerald which has the three outtakes 1961-66 releases by Mayflower collected. Probably some more. A lot of errors are still included, most possible cross references are unfortunately missing. In many cases it remains unclear which release is actually the best of a certain show. Many sound quality gradings are wrong. It's a great idea, but can still get better.

Yes of course you are right. I have started the list years or even decades ago when it had only a fraction of the size as now. In the last years it became slowly too much for me, so I only tried to keep up with adding the new releases without any cross references. I have also now taken the event of the 30 years anniversary as an occasion of stopping updating this list. So this is some kind of the final version from my side, with all the errors and flaws.

PS. Here you have the original Word document of the file: [we.tl]
Feel free to correct it as you like!

Date: January 19, 2018 11:38

midnrambler
Monsoon Ragoon
midnrambler

Yes of course you are right. I have started the list years or even decades ago when it had only a fraction of the size as now. In the last years it became slowly too much for me, so I only tried to keep up with adding the new releases without any cross references. I have also now taken the event of the 30 years anniversary as an occasion of stopping updating this list. So this is some kind of the final version from my side, with all the errors and flaws.

PS. Here you have the original Word document of the file: [we.tl]
Feel free to correct it as you like!

Despite some reservations - you and your friends did a great job. People like me will always find mistakes ;-) I found a lot of information already which I didn't have before.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 19, 2018 16:56

Boy, this really brings back some great memories for me of the first boots I ever purchased back in the mid 70's-early 80's. I used to go to local record stores in my hometown and they would openly sell bootlegs from popular artists like the Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Springsteen. It was at these record shops that I purchased Stones titles like "Liver Than You'll Ever Be", "Honolulu 73", and "Bedspring Symphony", "Garden State" along with Beatles titles like- "Get Back to Toronto", etc. Then there was a time when I was ordering stuff in the mail from various boot labels I would find in various underground music publications. I was like a kid in the candy store when I received the Stones 3 album box set "Tour of the Americas." Sadly, more often than not, a lot of the titles I purchased had crappy sound (the internet had not been invented and you were not able to get decent reviews from collectors).

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: January 23, 2018 17:21

fortilix
In the first years I bought Swingin' Pig CDs that were really great releases. The Atlantic City boxset for instance was a treat in those years. And before that TSP-CD-003 1963-1965 Get Satisfaction - BBC,

Couldn't agree more with you!!!
Swingin' Pig CD's were/are great! My first bootleg was the Get Satisfaction... CD recorded on a cassette tape. I own the CD now and I still love to listen to it! And the Atlantic City box set is an essential release. Get the 4CD Anniversary Edition that includes the radio shows leading up to the live broadcast. That's the other bootleg I go back to quite often. QUALITY RELEASES in the 90's!
And let's not forget Vigotone! All of their CD's are gems!!! I don't think it can get any better than the 3 Voodoo sets! That's the holy grail in Stones Land! No doubt about it! (No, the holy grail is not the officially released Brussels.)
[Vigotone]
Saying that bootleg CD's were crap in the 90's is just silly... Who's driving your plane? hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-23 17:41 by frenki09.

Date: January 23, 2018 17:58

frenki09
fortilix
In the first years I bought Swingin' Pig CDs that were really great releases. The Atlantic City boxset for instance was a treat in those years. And before that TSP-CD-003 1963-1965 Get Satisfaction - BBC,

Couldn't agree more with you!!!
Swingin' Pig CD's were/are great! My first bootleg was the Get Satisfaction... CD recorded on a cassette tape. I own the CD now and I still love to listen to it! And the Atlantic City box set is an essential release. Get the 4CD Anniversary Edition that includes the radio shows leading up to the live broadcast. That's the other bootleg I go back to quite often. QUALITY RELEASES in the 90's!
And let's not forget Vigotone! All of their CD's are gems!!! I don't think it can get any better than the 3 Voodoo sets! That's the holy grail in Stones Land! No doubt about it! (No, the holy grail is not the officially released Brussels.)
[Vigotone]
Saying that bootleg CD's were crap in the 90's is just silly... Who's driving your plane? hot smiley

Please read carefully and don’t insult people! I didn't say that ALL early bootleg CDs were crap. But unfortunately by far the most. Just take a deeper look in this 140 page list (link above) and you will see, that the releases have improved as the years went by. Swingin' Pig and Vigotone are two of the VERY FEW really good early underground CD labels. I'm glad we're now in the era of high-class bootlegs (although still a lot nonsense is being released).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-23 18:09 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home