Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stonesvault DAC 073 CD 02 lossy or not?
Posted by: hj3009 ()
Date: April 21, 2017 15:21

Hi!
While working on DAC 073 and checking the files with EAC, I noticed that CD 01 was lossless and CD 02 lossy sourced.
I had WAV files. So, I just downloaded DAC 073 here:

[iorr.org]
DAC 073 1973.09.08 1st+2nd Comeback To England, Empire Pool London.part1.rar [www.filefactory.com]
DAC 073 1973.09.08 1st+2nd Comeback To England, Empire Pool London.part2.rar [www.filefactory.com]

I've got the same result!
Can somebody please tell me if DAC could have used a lossy source for the 2nd CD?
Just find this strange ... eye popping smiley

Cheers
Hervé

Re: Stonesvault DAC 073 CD 02 lossy or not?
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 21, 2017 15:38

Some programs just do not work properly with rips.
For example, I can name 4 official CD's which rips will not pass lossless/lossy test.
1. The Rolling Stones - London 820 047-2, the 1st pressing from 1984
2. Let It Bleed - London 820 052-2, the 1st pressing from 1986
3. Exile On Main Street - CBS 450196 2 for Europe, but actually no matter what pressing: Japanese, Austrian or US
4. Goats Head Soup - Virgin CDV 2735 or any equivalent. Yes, this one was mastered by Bob Ludwig.
If you test the CD - it is OK. But try to test the rip and you'll get 95% MPEG.

I believe this has something to do with production/mastering. Either some high frequency limiter was used or aggressive noise reduction was applied during mastering. Otherwise the frequency pattern of the initial tape show a cut off that puzzles the test program. As a result the program evaluates the source as lossy.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 21, 2017 16:31

I only have a cdr copy of the boot; to me it seems the bootleggers cut off the "high" frequencies, here's Happy, all tracks look like this:

Date: April 21, 2017 16:32

TLH check:

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: April 21, 2017 16:39

Rank Stranger
I only have a cdr copy of the boot; to me it seems the bootleggers cut off the "high" frequencies, here's Happy, all tracks look like this:

I get the same result from my CDr copy. Usually with lossy, it cuts off around 12.000 KHz, but here all tracks on that disc 2 (the other is just fine) cut off at 7.000 KHz. (never seen this before on all the suspected lossy discs I checked until now)

So I guess we'll have to wait for someone who has the silvers to check...

Chris from Belgium

Date: April 21, 2017 16:47

coowouters
but here all tracks on that disc 2 (the other is just fine) cut off at 7.000 KHz. (never seen this before on all the suspected lossy discs I checked until now)

So I guess we'll have to wait for someone who has the silvers to check...

I don't think this is the only DAC boot where the frequencies are cut off like this.
But at this moment I don't feel like checking all my boots...

Date: April 21, 2017 16:51

Rank Stranger
Seem to be HF limiter.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 21, 2017 18:32

The try to make it sound as good as possible. What's the problem?

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: April 21, 2017 20:40

Monsoon Ragoon

The "problem" is that hj3009 is asking if it could be possible that DAC used a lossy source for this release. So if someone knows it, he gets his answer and is happy :-)

IMHO, someone, somewhere along the chain (could be the final one, being DAC) cut of everything above 7,000 KHz, thus taking the easy way (instead of remastering a bit) to make a recording listenable.

The audio quality between the recording of the 1st show and the one from the 2nd show is BIG; I just listened to a couple of tracks of both discs and judging from what I hear on disc 2, nothing is lost by the frequency cut. (if that's what happened)

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: hj3009 ()
Date: April 21, 2017 21:29

Hi!
Thanks for all these answers.
One reason I was asking this question is: if you want to share what you've got @ Dime or TTD or elsewhere, you'll be asked if it's lossy or not. If lossy, it'll be forbidden.
The second reason is: I'd like to be sure (but unfortunatly it's difficult) to recognize if it's lossy or not. Sometimes I bought Boots and thought they were lossy sourced...
Anyway, thanks!

Date: April 21, 2017 21:31

I just checked another forum. It seems that a couple of tracks from the 3rd CD of Led Zeppelin BBC sessions suffers the same issue. I.e. nothing above 7 kHz. Apparently this is a mastering trick when one work on poor quality recordings. For sure there was nothing like mp3 convertors in the early 70's but there were bad tapes and recording conditions.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: April 22, 2017 04:12

I'm all for sound quality but I have a question?
When dealing with an audience or otherwise poor quality recording, can one hear a difference in lossless vs lossy?

I will play flac files on my computer but I personally have a tough time discerning a flac vs mp3 on an audience recording.Especially when streaming bluetooth to my car or at the gym using headphones.

I do notice a difference based on what headphones I use.
I have an inexpensive bluetooth pair and I have B&O wired and a wired Bose pair. (My fav!)
The bluetooth, while convenient, have the poorest sound quality.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 22, 2017 10:24

coowouters
Monsoon Ragoon

The "problem" is that hj3009 is asking if it could be possible that DAC used a lossy source for this release. So if someone knows it, he gets his answer and is happy :-)

IMHO, someone, somewhere along the chain (could be the final one, being DAC) cut of everything above 7,000 KHz, thus taking the easy way (instead of remastering a bit) to make a recording listenable.

The audio quality between the recording of the 1st show and the one from the 2nd show is BIG; I just listened to a couple of tracks of both discs and judging from what I hear on disc 2, nothing is lost by the frequency cut. (if that's what happened)

I am no Hi-Fi expert. The quality difference is big; I own the DAC. But I don't think they used a lossy file or something. It's just a poor tape for the evening show. The taper was standing far from the stage and/or used a poor recorder and/or microphone probably. I cannot imagine DAC to download and release crappy tapes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-23 00:00 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2261
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home