Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-ish: Free VPNs?
Date: March 12, 2017 05:46

Does anyone know any free, effective VPN programs for PCs? I'd prefer one that requires very little add-ons and isn't a free 7-day trial... Thanks in advance!

Re: OT-ish: Free VPNs?
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: March 12, 2017 12:22

CyberGhost works okay for me, if you use the the free version you'll have to wait around 1 minute for it to connect to and it disconnects by itself after 2 hours but it's still decent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-12 12:25 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: March 12, 2017 18:24

It depends on if you are just trying to make it look like you are from somewhere other than where you actually are or if you want or need a reasonable degree of privacy.

If you are just trying to make it look like you are from somewhere other than where you actually are,there is the UltraSurf add-on / extension for Chromium based browsers such as Chromium itself,Iron Browser,Google Chrome (which is very privacy invasive), and also the SlimJet Browser.

UltraSurf MAY also work with the Yandex Browser,the Spark Browser,Comodo Dragon (not IceDragon),Opera above version 30, and Vivaldi stable.

The latest versions of UltraSurf do now open a second browser tab with some UltraSurf web-page in addition to the tab with your home page when you launch the browser which has the add-on. You would have to close that tab each time you start the browser.

If you want or need a reasonable degree of privacy,maybe consider running Subgraph O.S. off of a DVD-R or off of a USB stick. It can be run with or without installation. You could also run Refracta O.S. by the same method and execute this shell script : [github.com] .

Otherwise,maybe VPNkeys [www.vpnkeys.com] or VPNbook [www.vpnbook.com] .

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: March 12, 2017 19:21

Mr. Winning Ugly,
I take mon chapeau off to you! At last! An easy to follow tutorial on VPNs! Buy that man a voddie!

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: March 13, 2017 16:53

I've tried a lot of free VPN and they just didn't suit my needs.
If around $40 USD is in your budget, I'd recommend Private Internet Access.
They will take any type of gift card as payment, (truly private) and you can install the app on 5 devices, Windows, iOS (yuck) or Android. It's installed on my laptop, phone and tablets.
I use it for *ahem* tradersden, banking or being in Canada, US youtube for SNL.

See privateinternetaccess.com

I know you're looking for a free one, but I've subscribed for 3 years now. No throttling or bandwidth cap.
Good

Date: March 13, 2017 23:50

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Date: March 14, 2017 14:30

dennycranium
I've tried a lot of free VPN and they just didn't suit my needs.
If around $40 USD is in your budget, I'd recommend Private Internet Access.
They will take any type of gift card as payment, (truly private) and you can install the app on 5 devices, Windows, iOS (yuck) or Android. It's installed on my laptop, phone and tablets.
I use it for *ahem* tradersden, banking or being in Canada, US youtube for SNL.

See privateinternetaccess.com

"Private" internet access under inherently security porous operating systems distributed by giant corporations (Microsoft and Google) who track you under their their respective browsers and O.S.'s.

Android "apps" compromise security and therefore privacy.

Windows even has a built in back-door which (for obvious reasons) they refuse to close. That is in addition to its high vulnerability to tens of thousands of different malware.

So,no solution under those operating systems is going to be the optimal way to go if you actually need or want a reasonable degree of privacy.

Date: March 14, 2017 14:49

A minimal effort option just to make it look like you are somewhere else :

Opera Browser 43.0.2442.1144 (stable) actually has its own VPN but,it is disabled by default.

In order to enable it,Menu >>>> Settings >>>>> Privacy and Security >>>> check off "Enable VPN" >>>>> close the browser >>>>>> re-open the browser.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: March 14, 2017 18:04

Thanks for the information.
I don't think I'm doing anything too sinister.
Living in Canada, lots of US content is blocked on Youtube or Netflix.
I'm fortunate to own a home in the southern USA which we rent out.
It has a directv satellite.
To use the directv "anywhere" app,on a phone or tablet, I have to look like I'm in the USA while in Canada.
Our cable provider in Canada also has an "anywhere" app for mobile devices that only works when I'm in Canada or using a Canadian VPN address while in the USA.

I own a BlackBerry Android device which is pretty much the most secure device available.

I paid for my service using a Best Buy gift card and I gave no personal information to the service.
You can use any gift card to pay for the service, being as anonymous as one can.
I've used free VPN services and grew frustrated at bandwidth limitations or throttling speeds. I spend enough time in various airports using the free wifi to justify the expense of VPN. (I may have gotten the odd letter from one of my internet providers suggesting I don't use bittorrent. I might have :-) )
My phone also logs in automatically to any public wifi such as McDonalds, Starbucks, etc. My VPN service is pretty much on all the time on my mobile phone.
I do as much as I can to maintain my privacy.
Nothing's perfect, I guess but I get good value for my $40.00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-17 00:27 by dennycranium.

Date: March 14, 2017 23:20

I was just putting it out there that it's not that hard to avoid Microsoft Windows and Android to achieve a higher degree of privacy while still being able to connect via a VPN.

This could appeal to people who need or want the highest possible degrees of privacy. (Nothing is infallible.) People seeking private medical treatment,concert bootleggers,people looking to avoid a stalker or an abuser, people with bad gambling debt, people looking at job opportunities who may not want their current employers to become aware of the situation. Google employees. Who knows ?? Different people are in different situations.

If your set-up works for your situation,then no need to change unless you want to experiment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home