Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Highwire CD with Full Count-In
Posted by: nick ()
Date: March 6, 2017 06:10

If anyone has a copy, I will trade you anything off my eBay listings. [www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-06 07:08 by nick.

Re: Highwire CD with Full Count-In
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: March 7, 2017 11:23

I can't find any information about what the count-in on this particular track actually is. Can you clarify? I'm interested to know how this "version" differs to the other commercially-released ones.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: March 7, 2017 12:00

nick
If anyone has a copy, I will trade you anything off my eBay listings

No one has a cd unless you want a bootleg cd. The official version with count-in was only released on 12" vinyl.

Date: March 7, 2017 12:05

stonesman87
I can't find any information about what the count-in on this particular track actually is. Can you clarify? I'm interested to know how this "version" differs to the other commercially-released ones.

It's the same version with someone, I assume Mick, counting "1,2,3" at the beginning of the track.

Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: March 7, 2017 12:47

It appears on "Lostpoint" (Glimmer Twins001) but I'm not sure I can post it here because of official containt.
[www.dbboots.com]
I agree with you for the counting ....certainly MJ
If you interesting on a copy let me know and I will send it to you directly
Norbert O.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 7, 2017 14:12

blakeeik
nick
If anyone has a copy, I will trade you anything off my eBay listings

No one has a cd unless you want a bootleg cd. The official version with count-in was only released on 12" vinyl.
Is it any different form the one from Austrian CD single?

The Rolling Stones
Highwire
Year: 1991
Record Label: Rolling Stones Records
Distributed by: Sony Music Entertainment (Holland)
Catalogue #: Col. 656756 9
Matrix: 01-656756-14 11 A1 MASTERED BY DADC AUSTRIA

Tracks:
1 Highwire (Full length version) 4:47 [With count in]
2 Highwire (7" Version) 3:41
3 I Just Want To Make Love To You (Live) 3:55
4 Play With Fire 3:41

See
[iorr.org]
[www.ebay.de]
[www.discogs.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-07 14:47 by ironbelly.

Date: March 7, 2017 19:32

Thanks iornbelly. I stand corrected. That is new to me!

Date: March 7, 2017 20:03

I have catalog# 656756-9 and 656756-2 but nothing. However the scan shows 656756-3 on the sleeve but -9 on the disc if I see that correctly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-07 20:07 by nick.

Date: March 7, 2017 20:58

nick
I have catalog# 656756-9 and 656756-2 but nothing. However the scan shows 656756-3 on the sleeve but -9 on the disc if I see that correctly.
There are three European versions of 5" CD single Highwire
1 - Catalog # 656756 2. CD made in UK. Single in paper sleeve.
[www.discogs.com]
Highwire 7" version 3.41

2 - catalog # 656756 5. CD made in UK. Single in paper sleeve
[www.discogs.com]
Highwire full length w/o count in 4.46

3 - catalog # 656756 9. CD made in Austria. Single in slim jewel with J-card
[www.discogs.com]
Highwire full length with count in 4.46
Highwire 7" version 3.41

I am 100% positive that Catalogue #: Col. 656756 9, Matrix: 01-656756-14 11 A1 MASTERED BY DADC AUSTRIA contains count-in version. I own all three of those (but, unfortunately, no spare).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-07 20:59 by ironbelly.

Date: March 8, 2017 06:09

ironbelly
[www.discogs.com]
Highwire 7" version 3.41

I am 100% positive that Catalogue #: Col. 656756 9, Matrix: 01-656756-14 11 A1 MASTERED BY DADC AUSTRIA contains count-in version. I own all three of those (but, unfortunately, no spare).

I was wrong and I do NOT have 656756 9 but am at discogs marketplace now taking care of it. I have a promo where the count in starts at 2 and that was pissing me off. Thank you so much for the correct Cat #.

Date: March 8, 2017 11:36

nick
ironbelly
[www.discogs.com]
Highwire 7" version 3.41

I was wrong and I do NOT have 656756 9 but am at discogs marketplace now taking care of it. I have a promo where the count in starts at 2 and that was pissing me off. Thank you so much for the correct Cat #.
Well...
Actually it is like this.
'One' (almost inaudible), clack, 'two', clack, 'one, two, three' ('three' is buried in the beginning of the song).
I never heard different version on CD.

Date: March 8, 2017 12:26

I found the track "somewhere out there" and had a listen. I trimmed it to just the count-in (just under 4 seconds) and turned the volume right up. ironbelly, I agree with your sequence, and yes, the "three" is probably obliterated by Charlie's drum beat. And with the volume right up, I have no doubt that it's Mick's voice, with the initial "one" now sufficiently audible.

Here's something to think about. Could Mick have also said "four", also obliterated by Charlie? By comparison, Paul McCartney famously went to four at the start of The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There", any number of others the same. It's a standard. We can probably only speculate, but I'd reckon Mick went to four as Charlie set off a frac early, not that it mattered much at all.

STOP PRESS .... I listened to it again. Charlie does two loud drum beats after Mick's second "two". I bet the first one hides Mick's "three" and the second hides Mick's "four". Make sense? Tell me I have too much time on my hands, and I'll tell you I was sufficiently interested AND I actually had some spare time. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 12:32 by stonesman87.

Date: March 8, 2017 13:04

stonesman87
I found the track "somewhere out there" and had a listen. I trimmed it to just the count-in (just under 4 seconds) and turned the volume right up. ironbelly, I agree with your sequence, and yes, the "three" is probably obliterated by Charlie's drum beat. And with the volume right up, I have no doubt that it's Mick's voice, with the initial "one" now sufficiently audible.

Here's something to think about. Could Mick have also said "four", also obliterated by Charlie? By comparison, Paul McCartney famously went to four at the start of The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There", any number of others the same. It's a standard. We can probably only speculate, but I'd reckon Mick went to four as Charlie set off a frac early, not that it mattered much at all.

STOP PRESS .... I listened to it again. Charlie does two loud drum beats after Mick's second "two". I bet the first one hides Mick's "three" and the second hides Mick's "four". Make sense? Tell me I have too much time on my hands, and I'll tell you I was sufficiently interested AND I actually had some spare time. winking smiley
I agree about count 'three', but I can not hear 'four'. If 'four' is there it is buried in the music. Like Paul winking smiley. And for sure no complains about the way you spent your time. This is very important not-profit scientific research for humanity winking smiley.

Date: March 8, 2017 13:10

ironbelly
stonesman87

I agree about count 'three', but I can not hear 'four'. If 'four' is there it is buried in the music. Like Paul winking smiley. And for sure no complains about the way you spent your time. This is very important not-profit scientific research for humanity winking smiley.

Probably only a dog would have a chance of hearing Mick saying "four", woof winking smiley That's why I can only speculate about Mick saying it as Charlie belted out beat #2.

I'm flattered that you think my time has been well-spent. Indeed, it's important for scientific research. Stones scientific research, to be specific winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 13:14 by stonesman87.

Date: March 8, 2017 13:22

Next point of speculation. I wonder why the count-in is only on 656756 9. Anybody without a care in the world and plenty of time to waste, err, make that "spend worthwhile", come on in and add to the trivial pursuit.

Date: March 8, 2017 13:45

stonesman87
Next point of speculation. I wonder why the count-in is only on 656756 9. Anybody without a care in the world and plenty of time to waste, err, make that "spend worthwhile", come on in and add to the trivial pursuit.
I believe there are a lot of things like that. The first couple that came to my mind is
1 - 'Cough' in the end of In My Time Of Dying from Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti. Barry Diament claimed he left the 'cough' and studio chat on the tape. But the 1st runs of Atlantic US and Japnese CD's and all German CD's from Alsdorf came w/o 'cought'. I.e. the song clocks 10.58 instead of 11.04. Later the 'cough' was restored for the second run on the US and Japanese CD's (but not for German).
2 - Remains of Ticket To Ride in the very end of the 1st pressing of Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd. That 'Holy Grail' Japanese CP35-3017 CD with so called Sony mastering had TTR cut off. But it was restored for later Toshiba/EMI pressings. Although audiophiles do not like Toshiba/EMI mastering at all winking smiley
I guess this is just 'post production' mastering. The initial tape of Highwire was with count-in. It was sent for production to Austria DADC plant and to UK PDO plant. In Austria they cut CD using tape as is. In the UK somebody thought that count in is a kind of junk and cut it of. Call it human factor. Easy as that.

But this is my speculation. At least for the cases of LZ and PF nobody have a clue why 'cough' and TTR disappeared.

Date: March 8, 2017 15:18

I need to make a rip of my Promo CD for you guys to hear. There is a count in but it is missing 1 all together.

Date: March 8, 2017 16:04

nick
I need to make a rip of my Promo CD for you guys to hear. There is a count in but it is missing 1 all together.
I'll give you a hint.
If you'll try to rip the CD with EAC you'll get the following
RSR 656756 5 full length w/o count in - length 4:46.05
RSR 656756 9 full length with count in - length 4:46.55
I suppose to have somewhere rip from CSK 73742 (2 Track CD Single USA) but I can not locate it at the moment. So no info on that one.

Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: March 8, 2017 16:46

to extend the fun

here the famous "count in" amplified
[we.tl]

Norbert O.

Date: March 8, 2017 16:53

StonyRoad
to extend the fun

[we.tl]

Norbert O.
This is it.

Date: March 8, 2017 23:19

StonyRoad
to extend the fun

[we.tl]

Norbert O.

Good job! That's what I heard from the "take" that I found as well. Has Mick audibly saying "one" at the start, but just a bit softer, like a fade-in.

Date: March 8, 2017 23:50

Mine starts almost AFTER 2
CSK 73742
[we.tl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-09 01:58 by nick.

Date: March 8, 2017 23:51

I have ordered 656756 9 from Discogs

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 9, 2017 08:09

Date: March 9, 2017 11:13

nick
CSK 73742
[we.tl]
Ha! This is funny. They cut count in differently for the US release. Another representation of 'human factor' and pain for collectors.

Guess blakeeik has two additions for his Rarities Done Right winking smiley

Date: March 9, 2017 12:31

ironbelly
nick
CSK 73742
[we.tl]
Ha! This is funny. They cut count in differently for the US release. Another representation of 'human factor' and pain for collectors.

Guess blakeeik has two additions for his Rarities Done Right winking smiley

I wondered about that as well. blakeeik has posted in this thread, so he might have thought about it. But maybe there's a qualification whereby it doesn't make the cut, and that's that it's only a verbal count-in, and not really a different musical mix. So, ironbelly, in terms of your earlier inspired comment, maybe some more scientific thought and research needs to go into this. Blake, if you're reading this, have a think about it. If you decide not to include both "versions" as an addition to your RDR, I wouldn't hold it against you. I'm OK with it missing your cut, but it's been interesting reading all the analysis. Plenty of Mensa-qualified scientific research IORR contributors have made interesting contributions.

Lastly, if any canines are reading this, have your say about whether you can hear Mick saying "three ... four'' when Charlie belts out his first two drum beats. That should just about complete the analysis of 4 seconds of informal intro, IMHO.

Date: March 9, 2017 14:24

After going back and checking, it seems as though I had 656756 9 and never realized it had the Full Version. I also have 656756 2, and 656756 1 (which only has the 7" version). I do not have the actual 12" Version, but got the information about the count in from The Ultimate Guide [aeppli.ch].

Thanks to Nick I have a copy of "Album Version" from CSK 73742 with a short count-in. And ironbelly has checked 656756 5 with NO COUNT IN, just like the CBS, VIRGIN, and UM releases (I checked mine, including the one on the 45CD Complete Singles).

There is also the single TCSDS 8184 (Japan). Does anyone have this to check? According to the time listed on Discogs, it is probably just the Single version.

I don't like counting these minor differences as different versions. Do you know how many different fade outs of "Tell Me" exist?

...but it's certainly a footnote! Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-09 14:28 by blakeeik.

Date: March 9, 2017 14:45

blakeeik
After going back and checking, it seems as though I had 656756 9 and never realized it had the Full Version. I also have 656756 2, and 656756 1 (which only has the 7" version). I do not have the actual 12" Version, but got the information about the count in from The Ultimate Guide [aeppli.ch].

Thanks to Nick I have a copy of "Album Version" from CSK 73742 with a short count-in. And ironbelly has checked 656756 5 with NO COUNT IN, just like the CBS, VIRGIN, and UM releases (I checked mine, including the one on the 45CD Complete Singles).

There is also the single TCSDS 8184 (Japan). Does anyone have this to check? According to the time listed on Discogs, it is probably just the Single version.

I don't like counting these minor differences as different versions. Do you know how many different fade outs of "Tell Me" exist?

...but it's certainly a footnote! Thanks!
Pleeeeeeeeese, do not start that Tell Me sortie winking smiley I counted 3 different versions/takes and 6 different fade outs/edits for the most common take.

Unfortunately, most books and most I-net sources are not complete or carry certain amount of incorrect information. That is why the research like you did on Rarities Done Right is very important for collectors.

Date: March 9, 2017 15:00

ironbelly
That is why the research like you did on Rarities Done Right is very important for collectors.

Thanks! RDR

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: March 9, 2017 17:16

on wlr 2114 the white master
are two versions of the cds highwire :

disc 4 track 9, single edit cds 3'45

and

disc 5 track 13 full lenght cds 4'48
listenend to it: full count in

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home