Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Good VHS-to-Digital Converting Software
Date: July 8, 2016 23:16

I have boxes of old VHS tapes ranging from Bruce Springsteen concerts to the Three Stooges to local band performances, so obviously many of these aren't available. The software I used to use is on a 'dead' computer, and it won't operate on my OS, Windows 10. Do any of you have any suggestions for good conversion software? I already have the red/yellow/white cables and a conversion cable. As much as I hate to say it, freeware will work just as well.

Re: OT: Good VHS-to-Digital Converting Software
Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 8, 2016 23:29

buy a recordable dvd

Date: July 9, 2016 01:38

I'm not too sure if you mean discs or a player. I do have DVD-Rs, but I need a way to transfer the VHS tapes.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 9, 2016 02:07

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I'm not too sure if you mean discs or a player. I do have DVD-Rs, but I need a way to transfer the VHS tapes.

What do you have to play the VHS tapes........VHS player with USB or audio/video jacks?

I've got a VHS / DVD recorder combi............

You can get them refurbished on Ebay..........[www.ebay.co.uk] ..... there are more of the same type all different prices etc.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-09 02:11 by EddieByword.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 9, 2016 09:42

vancouver
buy a recordable dvd

I bought the Philips DVDs recorder and the leads with a 'diversion' box to remove anti piracy signals. It was an ok way (about 19 years ago) to convert VHS to DVDs

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 9, 2016 11:30

Do I need a PAL VHS player or can I use a NTSC VHS player and have the software do the conversion?

Date: July 10, 2016 04:09

At the time the only model available in my country was pal. I have tried to convert ntsc on my computer and software won't do it so I'm not the one to ask I guess

Date: July 10, 2016 04:18

midimannz
At the time the only model available in my country was pal. I have tried to convert ntsc on my computer and software won't do it so I'm not the one to ask I guess

That's the question. Do you have to get the NTSC or the PAL into useable audio and video format then do the conversion to disk? Someone will on this site knows. I have at least 50 PAL tapes of some real good shows. Thanks for answering.

Date: July 10, 2016 06:05

I think you are right, my pc only reads vob files from region free or pal disks. I own ntsc DVDs but can't do anything in my software

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-10 08:38 by midimannz.

Posted by: joguema ()
Date: July 10, 2016 18:37

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I have boxes of old VHS tapes ranging from Bruce Springsteen concerts to the Three Stooges to local band performances, so obviously many of these aren't available. The software I used to use is on a 'dead' computer, and it won't operate on my OS, Windows 10. Do any of you have any suggestions for good conversion software? I already have the red/yellow/white cables and a conversion cable. As much as I hate to say it, freeware will work just as well.

Are you looking for something like this: [www.amazon.co.uk]

???

Date: July 10, 2016 19:28

joguema
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

???

Nice, half-way there. I don't know what type of recordings BeforeTheyMakeMeRun has, but I have PAL tapes.

Date: July 11, 2016 03:47

shattered
joguema
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

???

Nice, half-way there. I don't know what type of recordings BeforeTheyMakeMeRun has, but I have PAL tapes.

Yes, those are the kinds of 'tools' I'm looking for! And for reference, I have NTSC tapes.

Date: July 11, 2016 04:14

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
shattered
joguema
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

???

Yes, those are the kinds of 'tools' I'm looking for! And for reference, I have NTSC tapes.

Several years ago I had a buddy say to check "Graybo" or "Great Tapes" for video conversion. I checked Graybo and couldn't find anything. Didn't look for Great Tapes.

Posted by: joguema ()
Date: July 11, 2016 16:11

Searching for Graybo sent me to GRABYO ( [about.grabyo.com] )

Date: July 11, 2016 19:32

joguema
Searching for Graybo sent me to GRABYO ( [about.grabyo.com] )

Sorry to send you on a goose chase. I looked through my archive emails to verify the spelling and I think I got Graybo and Great Tapes from a handwritten letter. I did have an individual that runs his own company transfer NTSC and PAL VHS's to disk but it really costs $$$. Since I have a bunch of PAL's remaining to go to disk, I wanted to see if I can do it myself and save the cash. The timing on this thread was perfect. Someone here on IORR knows how to do it.

Date: July 12, 2016 03:49

I would avoid the yellow (composite video) cable if it is at all possible for you.

To get the best quality conversion from a VHS tape to DVD,the S-Video (S-VHS) cable would be better. Red and white plugs for the audio.

The easiest way to make the conversion would be to just get a VHS deck or a pre-owned S-VHS or D-VHS deck and then run the cables into a standalone component DVD recorder.

This will work on non-copy-protected material such as "unofficial" live concerts.

For official copy-protected material,most of it has been re-issued in digital format(s) but,if not,then you would need a special box to remove the copy-protection mechanism in between the VHS deck and the DVD recorder.

This way,you would not have to involve a computer at all. Just press a few buttons on the decks and walk away for 2 or 3 hours and then it is finished.

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: July 12, 2016 20:15

I have digitalized a lot of VHS tapes during the years.

To get the best quality you have to record with a standalone DVD Recorder but you have to choose XP mode (60 mins/DVD-5) for the best picture quality and LPCM audio for the best audio quality. (Basic setting for a DVD recorder is AC3 audio.) You'll hear a diverence in audio quality even if the VHS recording isn't LPCM audio!!
But I don't know if every DVD recorder is equipped with LPCM audio (Panasonic DVD recorders are).
By digitalizing with a DVD recorder you'll haven't any sync problems!

Date: July 12, 2016 22:04

werther2003
I have digitalized a lot of VHS tapes during the years.

To get the best quality you have to record with a standalone DVD Recorder but you have to choose XP mode (60 mins/DVD-5) for the best picture quality and LPCM audio for the best audio quality. (Basic setting for a DVD recorder is AC3 audio.) You'll hear a diverence in audio quality even if the VHS recording isn't LPCM audio!!
But I don't know if every DVD recorder is equipped with LPCM audio (Panasonic DVD recorders are).
By digitalizing with a DVD recorder you'll haven't any sync problems!

Thanks for that tip werther...........I'm half way through digitising 26 shows.........I've got a Toshiba DVD recorder, it has an audio choice of Dolby or PCM (I'm guessing this is the same as LPCM on your Panasonic).....Do you know what it means?
........I've just tested it and the PCM option does sound a bit sharper so I'll redo all of them...........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-12 22:04 by EddieByword.

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: July 13, 2016 21:08

EddieByword
Thanks for that tip werther...........I'm half way through digitising 26 shows.........I've got a Toshiba DVD recorder, it has an audio choice of Dolby or PCM (I'm guessing this is the same as LPCM on your Panasonic).....Do you know what it means?
........I've just tested it and the PCM option does sound a bit sharper so I'll redo all of them...........

LPCM or PCM = lossless audio codec
AC3 or Dolby Digital = lossy audio codec

Date: July 13, 2016 21:34

werther2003
EddieByword

LPCM or PCM = lossless audio codec
AC3 or Dolby Digital = lossy audio codec

Ok, thanks again, when I've finished converting them I'll upload at least a few to iorr and regarding the 'completists only' ones I'll do 'by request'.(some are pretty poor)..............

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2143
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home