Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MPEG v DVD
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 18, 2015 20:29

I never burn DVDs. I download the DVD files and then drag them over to AVS Video Editor, connect all of the parts and save it as a MPEG.

Sometime I have trouble saving in the MPEG format. On a recent Zip Code Tour DVD, I could not get part one. On other tries I got the wrong part of the video file and the sound didn't sync properly.

It would be great to get all of the Zip Code tour in MPEG format only.

If anyone could tell me why I have these issues, I'd appreciate it.

-
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 19, 2015 10:59

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-15 15:09 by midnrambler.

Re: MPEG v DVD
Date: December 19, 2015 15:08

If your main purpose is to play the files on a computer,I would recommend considering the .MKV file format.

Date: December 26, 2015 19:32

Winning Ugly VXII
If your main purpose is to play the files on a computer,I would recommend considering the .MKV file format.

People release in DVD format. The trouble can be getting these files in to another format. One release I could play the beginning of the show but couldn't find it to convert.

Thanks

Date: December 26, 2015 19:33

midnrambler
Maybe you could try VOB2MPG: [www.videohelp.com]

WOW! This looks like the answer. Thank you!

Am I the only person on this list that doesn't use physical media (CD or DVD)?

Posted by: mcp ()
Date: December 27, 2015 19:27

exilestones

Am I the only person on this list that doesn't use physical media (CD or DVD)?

I do not use any physical media, but I keep everything in the format that I had downloaded it in. I like menus, and do not want to re-encode as there is no reason to.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: December 27, 2015 22:05

VOB is just a container which contains the original MPEG file, so if you extract it, there shouldnt be any reencoding.
not familiar with lots of software concerning this but I think that midnramblers software should extract without reencoding.
I personaly used TMPEGEnc DVD Author 1.6 for it. the newer versions of this software don`t extract anymore.

Date: December 30, 2015 00:30

Speaking of "containers" , I should have said MKV container as opposed to file format. They allow for video,audio,subtitles,chapters,and menus all in one container. They can be played using VLC Media Player and / or M-Player software ; also some hardware equipment.

Here is some info on MKV :

" What are MKV Files ?

Contrary to popular belief, MKV files are not an audio or video compression format. In reality, MKV files are actually multimedia container formats. This essentially means that it is a container that can incorporate audio, video, and subtitles into a single file even if they use a different type of encoding. For instance, you could have a MKV file using VP8 video with Vorbis audio, or more commonly, using H.264 for video and something like MP3 or AAC for audio.

MKV container files were designed to be future proof, meaning that the files would not become outdated. For this reason, Matroska developers included several key features. These include fast seeking, chapter, menu, and metadata support, different selectable audio and video streams, online streaming compatibility, subtitle (hard-coded and soft-coded) support, and error recovery (allows for playback of corrupted files). The container itself also supports almost any audio and video format, which makes it highly adaptive and easy to use.

Because it isn’t an industry standard, not all media players support it yet, even though support is rapidly growing. There are two main options for playing MKV files. These include, using an MKV compatible media player or downloading the appropriate codecs. "

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home