Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

REQUEST: UrbanSteel's 2007 Philadelphia 1972 Uploads
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 23, 2015 22:15

For Philadelphia 1972 I recall that these were the best sources:

POST : SB ; Philadelphia 07-21-1972 1st Show FLAC-ZIP Files

[www.iorr.org]

POST : SB ; Philadelphia 07-21-1972 2nd Show FLAC-ZIP Files

[www.iorr.org]

Those were uploaded by the great UrbanSteel in 2007 already, received little attention at the time, but when I had the time to compare these to various boots (and my collection of Philadelphia 1972 tour recordings is huge!) I came to the conclusion that UrbanSteel's uploads were not dubbed from boots, but from original, UNDOCTORED tapes with a great, warm analog sound quality.

Unfortunately, I lost his uploads in a harddrive crash and was unable to find them anywhere since then. Of course, his original upload links are no longer available.

So if anybody still has UrbanSteel's uploads anywhee, I would be extremely grateful if they could be uploaded again - for the benefit of all of us who are desperately looking for the best available sources of the Philadelphia 1972 shows.

Re: REQUEST: UrbanSteel's 2007 Philadelphia 1972 Uploads
Posted by: Rolling on ()
Date: July 24, 2015 09:32

Philadelphia 1972 (1st Show) - [we.tl] New Upload

Philadelphia 1972 (2nd Show) - [we.tl]

ripped with dBpoweramp (secure mode) to wave - including artwork & rip log

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-25 14:45 by Rolling on.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 24, 2015 20:21

Thanks. Uncompressed audio (ie unsquashed dynamic range) rules.

BTW Rocks Off from 1st show is almost silent audio except for the beginning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-24 20:23 by kowalski.

Date: July 25, 2015 04:46

Thanks a lot, Rolling On! This really fills a gap in my collection that I was not able to close after my hd crash some years ago - until now, with your help!

Posted by: tjkrol ()
Date: July 25, 2015 04:59

kowalski

Has it been determined if "Rocks Off" is that way on the source or an upload glitch?

Date: July 25, 2015 09:10

Just realised that Rocks off is the way on my source but I don' t think that it has been that way in the original files. Maybe a burning mistake. I can' t help right now with a clear copy of that track but will ask Jos for it.

Date: July 25, 2015 14:45

New upload for the 1st show. Thanks to Jos who has send me a fine rip.
Now Rocks off is complete.

Posted by: Andrea82 ()
Date: July 25, 2015 17:06

Thanks for the sharing and for the fix!

Posted by: tjkrol ()
Date: July 25, 2015 18:37

Thanks for taking the time to correct this issue.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 26, 2015 22:02

When I was a child (during the Ice Age) I peeked at my Christmas presents early. Never again. I don't know if this goes under that same heading, seeing as I'm downloading both shows. Are these complete shows or the bits and pieces available from the Philly Special sources, only lower gen.

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: July 26, 2015 22:07

Not complete shows, "just" lower generation.

Date: July 27, 2015 00:44

Poetry
Not complete shows, "just" lower generation.

What do you think of Barcelona... (lost my question mark 'coz I got water in the keyboard.

Date: July 27, 2015 00:54

kowalski

By coincidence I downloaded another low-ish gen source of the arvo PHL show, so here's "Rocks Off."

https://mega.co.nz/#!BIpRzS4Y!xHpw1b_ssa_NRuijLOBmaN_zgmpDTp_qq_fIg1DpU9U

Re: POST: 'ROCKS OFF' PHILADELPHIA 7\21\72 #1
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 27, 2015 16:03

Thanks Rolling On, but I don't think both shows from July 21 are complete. I thought there is also some stuff from July 20 (only one show) included. Philadelphia Special 1972 always has been some kind of mishmash to me. Difficult to discern what comes from what concert.

Thanks to HEILOOBAAS as well for "Rocks Off". I have to check later what I already have. It's quite a few.

Re: POST: 'ROCKS OFF' PHILADELPHIA 7\21\72 #1
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 27, 2015 16:15

kleermaker
Thanks Rolling On, but I don't think both shows from July 21 are complete. I thought there is also some stuff from July 20 (only one show) included. Philadelphia Special 1972 always has been some kind of mishmash to me. Difficult to discern what comes from what concert.

There's also some "Fort Worth'72" added for good measure... grinning smiley

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: July 28, 2015 23:32

Thanks for 'ROCKS OFF' PHILADELPHIA 7\21\72 #1

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 1, 2015 13:20

Thanks to Jörg & Jos.

I just gave these shows a listen; I really would like to know if alimente still thinks these are the best sources for these shows.

First show has the channels reversed on the first songs, second show sounds very distorted/metallic in places.

BUT: What a Gimmie Shelter! Wow! A contender for the best version ever!

Date: August 1, 2015 16:28

Rank Stranger

Which show? The arvo Gimme Shelter is great, but nothing compares to Wembley 9\9\73, if you ask me (wh. of course you did not). Also remember the audience recording of 9\9\73 sounds pretty pedestrian, whereas the soundboard sounds magnificent. I have a soundboard of ABBA from 1981 called Sweet Dreams Are Made of This. It sounds perfect. I'm unsure if overdubs or equalizing or some jiggery pokery was effect after the concert, but I downloaded an audience recording of them from the same tour and it was a 180 - they sounded flat and talentless.

Here's a little image I enhanced from one of my favourite 1972 pics. It's snapped, I believe, Rip This Joint from the final show of the tour on July 26th.

I'm intentionally posting a large version because of the detail. (There are a few Funky Little Bow-eze lurking...) If there are any questions as to the identity of a certain personage, pls. ask.

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 01:00

Would someone kindly re-post UrbanSteel's Philly '72 2nd show? I would very much appreciate it. In the meantime, I'm contacting a couple of old traders who have copies of my '72 boards to see whether the reels are in good enough condition to play back and upload. Thanks, Dave.

Date: August 3, 2015 17:11

riffcliche69
Would someone kindly re-post UrbanSteel's Philly '72 2nd show? I would very much appreciate it.

Cannot do this today, hopefully tomorrow!
Anyway, watch this space!

Date: August 4, 2015 13:10

Okay, here's the link:

[www.wetransfer.com]

Date: August 6, 2015 19:04

Rank Stranger
Thanks to Jörg & Jos.

I just gave these shows a listen; I really would like to know if alimente still thinks these are the best sources for these shows.

First show has the channels reversed on the first songs, second show sounds very distorted/metallic in places.

Sorry for responding late, was busy with "moving" to a new PC, Windows 10 upgrade and stuff...

Now with UrbanSteel's sources finally at hand again, I will start crosschecking with the tons of other sources I have to see if my verdict of a couple of years ago was indeed right or wrong.

However, a version of "Bitch" from the 2nd show survived my hd crash years ago when I lost the orginal zip or rar-archives of UrbanSteels uploads and when I listened to it recently (before these re-uploads appeared) it sounded most natural compared to other seemingly over-processed or over-EQ'ed sources. I agree that these Philadelphia soundboards are a mixed bag soundwise, some tracks sound excellent and natural, others worse, but that is most likely also the case with the original compilation tapes that leaked - those were cassettes, no reel-to-reels, to start with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-06 19:05 by alimente.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: August 7, 2015 01:26

Before making a final decision on what's best, I suggest anyone check out VGP-260, "Philadelphia Special" 2006 remaster for the rough SB mixes, and VGP-243, "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" for the remixes. VGP used great sources and tasteful remastering. VGP-260 sounds much better than the old Swingin' Pig releases. They aren't complete; these downloads have some extra songs.

Date: August 7, 2015 14:34

dph
... "Philadelphia Special" 2006 remaster for the rough SB mixes...

does it say "2006" on the cover?? Or remaster??

So that I can tell it from the first version.

Thanks!

Date: August 7, 2015 14:39

Hey alimente!

Hope you get Windows 10 running okay!

Here's some info on how to install - if it is not too late now!!

[www.computerbase.de]

I did not want to put up any pressure regarding your opinion on this Philly stuff,
I was just curious to know.

By the way, Bitch from the second show is NOT in these uploads...

Date: August 8, 2015 04:42

Rank Stranger
Hey alimente!

Hope you get Windows 10 running okay!

Here's some info on how to install - if it is not too late now!!

[www.computerbase.de]

I did not want to put up any pressure regarding your opinion on this Philly stuff,
I was just curious to know.

By the way, Bitch from the second show is NOT in these uploads...

No problem at all, I did not feel any pressure at any time! Windows 10 is running smoothly, but it was not just the upgrade, it was also "moving" to a new PC which meant transferring all software and files after the upgrade and that was a bit time consuming until I had everything how I wanted it to be...
The "Bitch" I mentioned is from the 1st (early) show, of course. My mistake, sorry!

Date: August 8, 2015 06:26

dph
Before making a final decision on what's best, I suggest anyone check out VGP-260, "Philadelphia Special" 2006 remaster for the rough SB mixes, and VGP-243, "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" for the remixes. VGP used great sources and tasteful remastering. VGP-260 sounds much better than the old Swingin' Pig releases. They aren't complete; these downloads have some extra songs.

KYMR is the best one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1902
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home