Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1973 Nicaraguan Benefit Concert first vinyl release not TMQ?
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 15, 2015 19:53

Hi!

Just stumbled over this lossy download:

[avaxhm.com]

info text says, that the well-known "All Meat Music" vinyl release,
which I thought was the first version, is indeed the second!?

First was a "unknown label" release?

Here's the text:

All-Meat Music is a vinyl bootleg by The Rolling Stones, originally on an "unknown" label before it was "officially" released by Trademark Of Quality. It was recorded live on 18 January, 1973 at The Forum in Inglewood, California as part of a benefit concert for Nicaraguan earthquake victims. TMQ/TMOQ also released it as Winter Tour 1973 and Nicaraguan Benefit Concert and is a nice audience recording, featuring some songs from their then-current album, Exile On Main St.. This double LP was taken from another blog and is being used with permission. Thank you to the original uploader.

Can anybodyconfirm that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 14:57 by Rank Stranger.

Re: 1973 Nicaraguan Benefit Concert first vinyl release not TMQ?
Date: March 18, 2015 15:01

No one knows or has an idea?

Tomorrow I will meet a big Stones fan,maybe he has the "no label" release;
I then might be able to borrow it for a vinyl rip;
but that wouldn't make much sense if "All Meat Music" is the original release!
Thanks!

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: March 18, 2015 15:29

We were too stoned to look at the bloody labels on the records. If we were able to thread the damn hole the first time it was time to light up again!!smileys with beer

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 18, 2015 16:16

I really cant say if there was a release before TMOQ or not. I can tell you that I ordered the TMOQ Winter Tour 2 LP release from NC in 1973 and I never saw another version listed for sale from any supplier that I ordered from back then. Also I noticed that the artwork for the release your link goes to has the artwork by Stroud that appears as a back insert on the TMOQ one. It is dated 1973 by Stroud on mine and he was well known for supplying the artwork for TMOQ. (like the back insert for "Bright Lights Big City). I suspect that this release was a knockoff of TMOQ which is my belief is the original but that's just my theory!

Date: March 18, 2015 18:20

scottkeef
I really cant say if there was a release before TMOQ or not. I can tell you that I ordered the TMOQ Winter Tour 2 LP release from NC in 1973 and I never saw another version listed for sale from any supplier that I ordered from back then. Also I noticed that the artwork for the release your link goes to has the artwork by Stroud that appears as a back insert on the TMOQ one. It is dated 1973 by Stroud on mine and he was well known for supplying the artwork for TMOQ. (like the back insert for "Bright Lights Big City). I suspect that this release was a knockoff of TMOQ which is my belief is the original but that's just my theory!

Same here.

Date: March 18, 2015 22:02

Thanks for your help!

Posted by: axl79 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 23:59

Rolling Stones – Winter Tour (a.k.a. All Meat Music) came out within two weeks of the concert.It's a TMOQ recording (Ken and Dub). The cover made it stand out and it sold very well. William Stout got fifty-dollar for the cover artwork.

Date: March 19, 2015 21:11

I am blind when it comes to any pronounced appreciation of this show. The one number that has always gotten my jiggy bits going is It's All Over Now. As well as the Honeelooloo 1/21 version of the same.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: March 20, 2015 23:11

I am 99.9% sure that blog claim is wrong. The TMOQ release is the original. In fact, it was their first release with a William Stout cover. The album pictured in the blog is a later copy.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: March 21, 2015 01:17

dph
I am 99.9% sure that blog claim is wrong. The TMOQ release is the original. In fact, it was their first release with a William Stout cover. The album pictured in the blog is a later copy.

I think so cause the first one i got in 1974 was a TMOQ blank 2 record with the Stout cover yellow page and a few month after i buy the blue one (TMOQ) with Jagger on knees and keith with the white SG with Stout drawing on back

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 21, 2015 17:44

I bought a TMQ release together with Stoned MSG 69 (Head Rec.).
Apart from the diff. Pig releases, I think there was LA 73 release on Dragonfly Rec. and Nic. Benefit Concert without label. But don't know which was the first really.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 21, 2015 20:13

This is my version bought in '73...............also the songs list made on an old type writer.......

Date: March 21, 2015 22:13

i have the same old type writer on "burning at the holliwood palladium "and "stoned ( san diego sixty nine ) , "beautiful delilah", "smooth", "european tour 1970 , das rolling stones "

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: March 22, 2015 13:15

original release : TMQ "side-away pig"- probably late february/early march 1973 - "Nicaraguan ..." is a copy - "Winter Tour 1973" is the 1st Stout cover for TMQ - Stout created the "smoking pig" for this cover, it was later used by Ken for its own releases/re-releases.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 22, 2015 15:03

How nostalgic this all! I bought the Essen show on vinyl in 73 or 74 (called European Tour 1970) and also the Nicaraguan earth victim benefit at the same time. In those years also The stars in the sky they never lie (Essen 1973), from the tour I attended myself in Rotterdam. Those were the days we say then.

Date: March 22, 2015 16:40

Kleermaker, can you remember exactly where and when you bought "stars in the sky" ?

It would help a lot in research about bootlegs.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 22, 2015 19:43

LiveAtHidepark
Kleermaker, can you remember exactly where and when you bought "stars in the sky" ?

It would help a lot in research about bootlegs.

Thanks in advance.

A small recordshop in Leiden (Holland), I guess it was in 1974 (certainly not later). We called those 'illegal' records 'white records'. Every now and then we went to that shop to see what they had for sale.

Date: March 22, 2015 20:23

Thanks again for all the info!
I too bought some "witte lps" in Holland, mostly on Amsterdam's flea-market,
but I cannot remember which ones...

But I clearly remember buying this in Amsterdam, issued in spring 1971 ( for four guilders! ) :

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-22 21:33 by Rank Stranger.

Date: March 22, 2015 20:53

What a surprise it was my first Stones Songbook !! merci pour ce fabuleux souvenir

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-22 20:54 by 5strings.

Date: March 22, 2015 21:38

Thanks Kleermaker, Rank Stranger, 5strings.

This songbook was released :

- lyrics up to Sticky Fingers (the same as Rank Stranger) - textured cover - back cover is blank white
- lyrics up to Exile - slick cover - new fantastic back cover
- lyrics up to Goat's Head Soup - textured cover - same back cover as the "Exile" edition - unhappily my copy is in very bad condition ....

- a variation exists, included in the bootleg "Memphis Tennessee" - the bootleg have a textured cover, the songbook also have a textured cover but with a new design, lyrics up to SF with additional lyrics for : "that girl belongs ..." "each and eve ..." "sleepy city" "wasting time" "some ... stick" "so much in love" "

Date: March 22, 2015 22:10

It was this songbook ( Sticky Fingers edition ) , where I first learned about the demo tape with "Diddley Daddy", "Roadrunner"...
took me a while to get these!

Thanks LiveAtHidepark!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-22 22:13 by Rank Stranger.

Date: May 29, 2016 14:09

Is there a remastered version of this one ?

Anybody got the "encore final track : Midnight Rambler " ?

Thanks.

Posted by: makim ()
Date: May 29, 2016 18:42

As others already pointed out, the TMOQ variation with stamped cover was the first issue. The blue fold-open cover variation titled "Nicaraguan Benefit Concert" was done by "Berkeley" and they usually copied other boots, very few "original" releases came from this label.

Berkeley was "WCF" (= white Cover Folks, see intro to Hot Wacks) from appr. 1970 - 1972, before their layout started to be fold-open covers printed on both sides, used appr. 1973 - 1974.

About 1975 the layout was changed again, then they used black and white printed covers usually labelled "Berkeley" (Stones releases are Bright Lights, In Concert (= Liver), Summer Reruns) but also 1975 Tour Of The Americas 2 LP on Moonstone.

Even later the label was changed to Black Gold (no Stones releases).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2092
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home