Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

POST: Lacerated at the Cocktail Party - Dr. Gig (JJF Fixed)
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 28, 2014 00:13

Lacerated at the Cocktail Party - Dr. Gig

NEW LINK - File Factory

The cut-off J J Flash was fixed by using J J Flash from VGP-004 "Lacerated." Overall Dr. Gig has better sound but VGP's J J Flash was excellent.

Dr. Gig's "Lacerated at the Cocktail Party" is a great collection of the Rolling Stones live in 1978 performances from the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio show.

I've collected all of the 1978 KBFH Stones releases I could find (not vinyl) and found this one to be the best.

Some people will say "Handsome Girls" is best but I would disagree. "Handsome Girls" is great and very clear but it's flat when it comes to the mix. In fact, I don't think it was mixed at all. For an easy comparison, put "Let It Rock" from Handsome Girls" or any other release of this same performance and compare them. You wouldn't even think it's the same performance.

Dr. Gig's "Lacerated at the Cocktail Party" rocks!

Tracks 1, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12: Detroit, MI 7/6/78 @ Masonic Hall
Tracks 2, 3, 6, 8, 14, 15: Houston, TX 7/18/78 @ Hofheinz Pavilion
Tracks 7, 13: Memphis, TN 6/28/78 @ Mid-South Coliseum
Track 9: Lexington, KT 6/29/78 @ Rupp Arena

[dbboots.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-30 01:03 by exilestones.

Re: POST: Lacerated at the Cocktail Party - Dr. Gig
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: June 28, 2014 04:07

I look forward to hearing this!!!

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: June 28, 2014 08:27

Thankeee...

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: June 28, 2014 13:32

How certain are you that the track sources are correct? I thought that Handsome Girls contained all the available soundboard recordings from the 1978 Tour.

Band Intro/Love in Vain, Tumbling Dice and Happy are not credited to Detroit on HG, least not on my copy.

Likewise All Down The Line, Honky Tonk Women, Beast of Burden and Respectable are not credited to Houston.

Confused? I am.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: June 28, 2014 17:13

Thanks exilestones!

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: June 28, 2014 17:38

Valeswood
How certain are you that the track sources are correct? I thought that Handsome Girls contained all the available soundboard recordings from the 1978 Tour.

Band Intro/Love in Vain, Tumbling Dice and Happy are not credited to Detroit on HG, least not on my copy.

Likewise All Down The Line, Honky Tonk Women, Beast of Burden and Respectable are not credited to Houston.

Confused? I am.

Many releases of the KBFH have incorrect origins listed. Here are the most accurate I have seen (eg Handsome Girls CD3/4):

01. Let It Rock
02. All Down The Line
03. Honky Tonk Woman
04. Star Star
05. When The Whip Comes Down
06. Lies
07. Miss You
08. Beast Of Burden
09. Shattered
10. Respectable
11. Just My Imagination
12. Far Away Eyes
13. Love In Vain
14. Tumbling Dice
15. Happy

Tracks 1, 5, 7, 11, 13-15: Masonic Temple, Detroit, Michigan, July 6, 1978.
Tracks 9: Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, Tennessee, June 28, 1978
Track 12: Rupp Arena, Lexington, Kentucky, June 29, 1978
Track 2-4, 6, 8, 10: Hofheinz Pavalion, Houston, Texas, July 19, 1978

1. Hound Dog
2. Sweet Little Sixteen
3. Brown Sugar
4. Jumpin' Jack Flash
5. Miss You
6. Lies
7. Beast Of Burden
8. Shattered
9. Just My Imagination
10. Respectable
11. Sweet Little Sixteen
12. Tumbling Dice
13. Happy
14. Brown Sugar
15. Jumpin' Jack Flash

Track 1: mid-south coliseum, memphis, tennessee, june 28, 1978
Tracks 5-11, 14-15: rupp arena, lexington, kentucky, june 29, 1978
Tracks 2-4, 12-13, hofheinz pavalion, houston, texas, july 19, 1978

Date: June 29, 2014 01:08

Valeswood

Confused? I am.

Not certain at all. I was wondering the same thing myself. I have been going through dbboots web site [dbboots.com] making a list to figure out what is really out there.

Here are my notes according to the dbboots web site so far:

Then it's a matter of listening to each song and finding a marker (something to distinguish one performance from another, feed back, bum note, something Mick says) and then looking for the marker in each song to ensure they are the same performance.

Then to find a source for each concert and look for said markers.

I do remember when Sticky Fingers Magazine compared audience recordings (Uncle Bob) to Handsome Girls they were certain which songs matched. So, I may trust they're notes/article.

My info in the original post was from the Disogs website [www.discogs.com]

Date: June 29, 2014 04:49

exilestones

dbboots is good, but has many mistakes. Most of the listings go by the art work, which are wrong. I advise not to use dbboots as gospel!

For example, the only 2 songs available from Memphis are Hound Dog and Shattered in SBD quality.

For availability of KBFH, use my previous post. Between those songs, Fort Worth (full show), Passaic (full show), and Detroit (incomplete show from Wolfgang's Vault): these are all the soundboards from 1978 in excellent quality. Hound dog from Lexington is also available in good SBD quality.

Here is a list of all SBD tracks from 1978 [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

Date: June 29, 2014 05:06

blakeeik
exilestones

dbboots is good, but has many mistakes. Most of the listings go by the art work, which are wrong. I advise not to use dbboots as gospel!

For example, the only 2 songs available from Memphis are Hound Dog and Shattered in SBD quality.

For availability of KBFH, use my previous post. Between those songs, Fort Worth (full show), Passaic (full show), and Detroit (incomplete show from Wolfgang's Vault): these are all the soundboards from 1978 in excellent quality. Hound dog from Lexington is also available in good SBD quality.

Here is a list of all SBD tracks from 1978 [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

WOW! Awesome work! Thanks!

Date: June 29, 2014 16:01

Rather than kvetch about the lineage of each track, thanks a lot for this! It's much easier to get through than the sprawling collections of 78 soundboards extant.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 29, 2014 17:28

Many thanks for the detailed informations from Sticky Fingers journal Blakeeik and thank you for sharing a great boot Exile. The information regarding the tracks is very useful. So very much appreciated!

Posted by: hobshobs ()
Date: June 29, 2014 21:10

Real nice. Thanks for sharing. Does the last track JJF cut off before the end?

Date: June 29, 2014 23:42

hobshobs
Real nice. Thanks for sharing. Does the last track JJF cut off before the end?

yeah

Posted by: hobshobs ()
Date: June 30, 2014 00:18

Thanks for your reply. Wasn't sure if I'd lost part of the track when transferring to wav. Played this disc over and over today. Love it. Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-30 00:19 by hobshobs.

Date: June 30, 2014 01:26

hobshobs
Thanks for your reply. Wasn't sure if I'd lost part of the track when transferring to wav. Played this disc over and over today. Love it. Thanks again.

I uploaded it again with a fixed JJ Flash. See the notes in the first post.

This is a great Stones boot, one of the very best. It's even better now that it's fixed.

I noticed Hot Lips' "Lacerated" and Sodd's "Can't Stop Rolling" use too many songs whereas comparing VGP's and Dr. Gig's "Lacerated(s)" are missing songs probably due to it being one CD. VGP cuts out "Honky Tonk" and Dr. Gig doesn't have "Whip." Then there's more tracks out there such as Lexington. It seems that Dr. Gig and VGP uses the same broadcast from what I can tell but the running order is different, most noticeably the placement of "Hound Dog." I guess I'd have to research all of the actual King Biscuit 1978 broadcasts to see if they were broadcasted differently.

My ultimate goal is to find out what was broadcasted (thanks to blakeeik for the list - may I repost the list?) and find the best sources/sound. I want to make one concert not the "sprawling collections of 78 soundboards" as barbabang noted. The Lacerateds have more balls than Handsome Girls by far.

I want to see what's available to make the complete and best "Lacerated." I don't want to use any "Handsome Girls" due to my reasons in the first post.

Every 1978 boot seems to have a different running order to the set list. What is the correct running order for the songs?

Where did the title "Lacerated at the the Cocktail Party" come from?

I guess when somebody can tell me or I find the proper set list order, I'll add "Whip" and whatever else would be appropriate. Suggestions welcome.

From the Stones Vault:
VGP 004 1978.06.28 Lacerated 1978 SB compilation.rar File Factory

If it wasn't for the Stones Vault we would have so much great Stones music and video. I certainly would be fixing "Lacerated at the Cocktail Party." Having the Stones Vault put us way ahead in getting a handle on the Stones legacy.

Please keep the Stones Vault going. It exist by the fans for the fans and needs your financial support. DONATE HERE LINK

Date: June 30, 2014 01:27

barbabang
Many thanks for the detailed informations from Sticky Fingers journal Blakeeik and thank you for sharing a great boot Exile. The information regarding the tracks is very useful. So very much appreciated!

I'll post the Swing Pig review of "Handsome Girls" from Sticky Fingers Magazine when I find it.

Date: June 30, 2014 03:16

exilestones
My ultimate goal is to find out what was broadcasted (thanks to blakeeik for the list - may I repost the list?) and find the best sources/sound.

Every 1978 boot seems to have a different running order to the set list. What is the correct running order for the songs?

Use the files I post as use wish (at your own risk). I do not make them available for long, though.
Here is file that sums up Memphis, Lexington, Detroit, and Houston soundboard tracks. [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]
It has the proper order of each song.

If you see other soundboard tracks from these shows they are probably wrong. by the way, my previous post was consistent the review you posted - thanks for posting it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-30 03:21 by blakeeik.

Re: POST: Lacerated at the Cocktail Party - Dr. Gig (JJF Fixed)
Date: June 30, 2014 19:17

Thanks to blakeeik for a summary of the 1978 soundboard songs and conformation that it matched the Sticky Fingers Magazine account. Here's blakeeik's excelletn work:

I know that the Passiac was not part of the broadcasted King Biscuit Flower Hour radio concerts.

Does anyone know any information about the Lexington soundboard? Was Lexington part of the King Biscuit broadcasts? Thanks.

Date: July 1, 2014 00:15

790516A 16th May: US radio (D.I.R.) ‘King Biscuit Flower Hour’.

Rolling Stones live 1978. The following tracks have been played from the US tour 1978 in different broadcasts:

- Let It Rock (Chuck Berry) -Detroit 6.7.78

- All Down The Line (MJ/KR) -Houston 19.7.78

- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -Houston 19.7.78

- Star Star (MJ/KR) -Houston 19.7.78

- When The Whip Comes Down (MJ/KR) -Detroit 6.7.78

- Lies 1 (MJ/KR) -Lexington 29.6.78
- Lies 2 (MJ/KR) -Houston 19.7.78

- Miss You 1 (MJ/KR) -Lexington 29.6.78
- Miss You 2 (MJ/KR) -Detroit 6.7.78

- Beast Of Burden 1 (MJ/KR) -Lexington 29.6.78
- Beast Of Burden 2 (MJ/KR) -Houston 19.7.78

- Just My Imagination 1 -Lexington 29.6.78
- Just My Imagination 2 -Detroit 6.7.78

- Shattered 1 (MJ/KR) -Memphis 28.6.78
- Shattered 2 (MJ/KR) -Lexington 29.6.78

- Respectable 1 (MJ/KR) -Lexington 29.6.78
- Respectable 2 (MJ/KR) -Houston 19.7.79

- Far Away Eyes (MJ/KR) -Lexington 29.6.78

- Love In Vain -Detroit 6.7.78

- Band introduction 1 -Lexington 29.6.78
- Band introduction 2 -Detroit 6.7.78
- Band introduction 3 -Houston 19.7.78

- Tumbling Dice 1 (MJ/KR) -Detroit 6.7.78
- Tumbling Dice 2 (MJ/KR) -Houston 19.7.78

- Happy 1 (MJ/KR) -Detroit 6.7.78
- Happy 2 (MJ/KR) -Houston 19.7.78

- Hound Dog (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller) -Memphis 28.6.78

- Sweet Little Sixteen 1 (Chuck Berry) -Lexington 29.6.78
- Sweet Little Sixteen 2 (Chuck Berry) -Houston 19.7.79

- Brown Sugar 1(MJ/KR) -Lexington 29.6.78
- Brown Sugar 2 (MJ/KR) -Houston 19.7.78

- Jumping Jack Flash 1(MJ/KR) -Lexington 29.6.78
- Jumping Jack Flash 2 (MJ/KR) -Houston 19.7.78

Note: These recordings were maybe mixed from the Stones themselves in L.A.in
August/September 1978 (see 780800A & 780900A).

Posted by: juano ()
Date: July 1, 2014 09:18

There is something wrong with JJF:
VGP-004 (115) J J Flash.flac: ERROR, MD5 signature mismatch

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: July 1, 2014 13:25

Thank you for all this information

Date: July 1, 2014 19:25

juano
There is something wrong with JJF:
VGP-004 (115) J J Flash.flac: ERROR, MD5 signature mismatch

I researched this error on the Internet. There is nothing wrong with the file/song. Apparently the file has a different encoding than the rest of the album. It did come from a different source. I had no problem downloading and playing the file. Apparently the program you are using to play the music files doesn't accpet this file (probably doesn't have the correct codec). Use something else to play the file or reformat it with Flac Front End (free Download), Free Rip (free Download) or almost any sound editor.

I play everything and anything with VLC Media Player! It's a free download and it works great. Never a problem.

VLC DOWNLOAD

Flac Front End Download

Free Rip Download

NOTE: When installing any programs (apps) always do a “Custom Install.” Do not choose “Recommended.” “Recommended” will install a lot of crap, such as tool bars or other programs to your computer.
On a “Custom Install,” the installation process will usually give options to install additional software, tool bars, etc. Uncheck all boxes before clicking “next” to decline these additional software installation offers. Always DECLINE every choice when installing software, even if you think the installation won’t allow a decline. Sometimes they trick you, the installer, in to thinking you would have to “agree” or “check” a box to move forward. Only if you cannot move forward when installing the program (always decline first), then you may have to agree (check box) on “Licensing Agreement” to complete the installation.

Date: July 2, 2014 07:43

Has anybody else noticed a degradation in sound quality over the original file posted on this site?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home