Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best bootlegs 97-98
Posted by: daytime ()
Date: October 26, 2013 23:35

Can someone comment on what are the best ones to own from this era.

Re: Best bootlegs 97-98
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 26, 2013 23:48

Probably the South American shows: Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires. Both were pro-shot and broadcast on television, too.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 26, 2013 23:59

The audience recording from the warm-up gig at Double Door 1997 is very good.

All the 1998 tv-broadcasts (Bremen, Poland, Argentina, Rio & Istanbul) sourced from VHS has relatively bad sound quality.

The FM-recording from San Diego 1998 on the other hand sounds very good.

The pay per view concert from St. Louis 1997 also has great sound quality.

There are also some great audience recordings from the Crystal Cat label:
Soldier Field 25th September 1997
Madison Square Garden 17th Jaunary 1998
Globen, Stockholm 9th August 1998

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-27 00:01 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 27, 2013 14:28

TheBlockbuster

Especially Keith´s guitar in Out Of Control!!!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 27, 2013 15:01

Bremen was a good show. The Stones were in good spirits. One of those gigs I hadn't expect too much but was really great.

Date: October 29, 2013 06:43

TheBlockbuster
The audience recording from the warm-up gig at Double Door 1997 is very good.

All the 1998 tv-broadcasts (Bremen, Poland, Argentina, Rio & Istanbul) sourced from VHS has relatively bad sound quality.

The pay per view concert from St. Louis 1997 also has great sound quality.

There are also some great audience recordings from the Crystal Cat label:
Soldier Field 25th September 1997
Madison Square Garden 17th Jaunary 1998
Globen, Stockholm 9th August 1998

Thanks! I have these Crystal Cat releases.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: October 29, 2013 13:38

Paris 98 soundboard mono amazing sound!

Posted by: mickcawber ()
Date: October 29, 2013 17:55

Does anyone know a version called MSG III (I think Winston Remaster possibly) ?

I had it but lost in a disc crash. The CC version doesn't sound quite as good somehow (maybe tricks of the memory).

Posted by: KennedyLetsWork ()
Date: October 29, 2013 19:42

MSG III was maybe my favorite boot of that tour. With the exception of the train wreck version of "Respectable Whip".

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 30, 2013 12:17

theres many great recordings from this tour.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 30, 2013 12:54

Sweet Home New York City (17.1.98) is one of the best audience recordings ever.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2013 16:19

Except that it's slightly overloaded and the gig is not that good after the roaring 1st few numbers.

Stockholm's disappointing too : poor show and a taper located on Ron's side = Keith's guitar is absent from the recording! eye popping smiley

CC's Chicago is not necessary unless you're a completist. The 23 Sept glorious Sb is more than enough cos in both cases the playing is rusty.

Imo Dandelion did a much better job of covering the B2B tour than Crystal Cat : nobody mentioned yet the indoor Praha gig which was great?

Date: November 4, 2013 07:11

dcba
Except that it's slightly overloaded and the gig is not that good after the roaring 1st few numbers.

Stockholm's disappointing too : poor show and a taper located on Ron's side = Keith's guitar is absent from the recording! eye popping smiley

CC's Chicago is not necessary unless you're a completist. The 23 Sept glorious Sb is more than enough cos in both cases the playing is rusty.

Imo Dandelion did a much better job of covering the B2B tour than Crystal Cat : nobody mentioned yet the indoor Praha gig which was great?

Dandelion...hmm name some releases by them from b2b tour.

Date: November 4, 2013 10:53

Take "Praha'98" : great show and very nice tape, or the indoor Berlin show which was good too.

Imo CC f&cked up ALL their Stones titles except the glorious 2003 Cirkus
boot.
Let me remind you their Shepherd's Bush release was incomplete and inferior-sounding when compared to DL's great "Cow Skins & Pig Shoes". And CC added to the package the Wembley show which was a boring performance so you didn't need this title unless you were a 1999 completist.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: November 4, 2013 11:37

dcba
Take "Praha'98" : great show and very nice tape, or the indoor Berlin show which was good too.

berlin indoor ?

and do you have my praha98 vversion, dcba ?

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: November 4, 2013 13:52

Waldbuhne.

Date: November 4, 2013 14:17

waldbühne is outdoor, one of the best locations for concerts in germany
[www.tour-blog.de]

Date: November 4, 2013 20:06

falo01

and do you have my praha98 version, dcba ?

No... (my ears perk up)
I know an aud DVD exists but I only have the (quite safisfying) commercial boot.

Date: November 4, 2013 20:10

dcba
Take "Praha'98" : great show and very nice tape, or the (edit : Sept 10) indoor Berlin show which was good too.

boot.
Let me remind you their Shepherd's Bush release was incomplete and inferior-sounding when compared to DL's great "Cow Skins & Pig Shoes". And CC added to the package the Wembley show which was a boring performance so you didn't need this title unless you were a 1999 completist.

Date: November 4, 2013 20:27

dcba
falo01

and do you have my praha98 version, dcba ?

No... (my ears perk up)
I know an aud DVD exists but I only have the (quite safisfying) commercial boot.

upload on EL ?
yes there is a DVD, even a DVD version I worked on (still uncirculated)

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:13

dcba

boot.

Don't forget Stockholm 1995, that one is maybe the best audience recording of the Voodoo Lounge-tour. Astoria 2003 is neither too bad.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: November 5, 2013 04:37

dcba

I have listened to the CC MSG release to many times to remember and have to disagree that it is overloaded. I think it is beautifully balanced and is it is one of the best audience recordings ever

Date: November 5, 2013 09:40

Listen to it with headphones : as the show goes on (and the venue P.A. is slowly cranked up) the recording begins to "break" = be in the red.
It's subtle but it's there.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: November 6, 2013 06:35

dcba
Listen to it with headphones : as the show goes on (and the venue P.A. is slowly cranked up) the recording begins to "break" = be in the red.
It's subtle but it's there.

I will give it listen this weekend with headphones. But if it that subtle that you need headphones to even hear it hen it sounds like nitpicking to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home