Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

First O2 show (25.11.12) DVD disappointment
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 11:50

Firstly, I acknowledge how much effort a number of people have put in to make up these DVDs, but I still can't help being so disappointed that their quality is so restricted by the quality of so many variable YouTube videos - sound, picture quality, panning, steadiness, distance, you name it.

Compared with the New York PPV one, these O2 productions, unfortunately, don't come up to speed at all. As always, the quality of what anybody produces is completely constrained by the quality of the available raw materials. Stuff jaggedly panning in, out, and around, with variable sound and people yahooing seemingly in the seat behind you is stuff I just can't go along with.

I'd just luuurve to see something in top quality when Bill was on stage, but it just doesn't seem that there's anything out there. That's unless this show is put to DVD some time using the footage shot officially. So, the big question, does anybody have any information about a forthcoming commercial DVD of this show?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-24 11:51 by stonesman87.

Re: First O2 show (25.11.12) DVD disappointment
Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 15:21

Do you seriously compare the PPV HD with a collection of audience recordings?
And you were seriously disappointed by the outcome of that comparison?
Wauw.

The youtube multicams give a great impression of the shows, with lots of angles you'll never get in pro-shots.
Falo's audio is as good as audience recorded bootlegs can come.

But, I agree with you that there should be a 5.1 HD Blu-Ray box of all the shows. It might take a while till that happens tho.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: February 24, 2013 20:45

It's so easy to feel a little 'let down' today, but I for one recall the excitement of those clips going up on YouTube for the first time! It was only a few months ago too!

Date: February 24, 2013 23:14

shattered1978
Wauw.

The youtube multicams give a great impression of the shows, with lots of angles you'll never get in pro-shots.

But, I agree with you that there should be a 5.1 HD Blu-Ray box of all the shows. It might take a while till that happens tho.

No, I'm not directly comparing the PPV HD with a collection of audience recordings, just wishing there was a first show release with the quality of the NY PPV. As you mention, hopefully an official release will come out some time.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: March 1, 2013 12:22

stonesman87
shattered1978
Wauw.

No, I'm not directly comparing the PPV HD with a collection of audience recordings, just wishing there was a first show release with the quality of the NY PPV. As you mention, hopefully an official release will come out some time.

It is very easy to sit at your PC, wait for a download and then critise it but you obviously have absolutely no idea how much effort goes in to producing these recordings/DVDs for the benefit of fans like you and me. Official release of O2 show - dream on!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 1, 2013 20:18

stonesman87
Compared with the New York PPV one, these O2 productions, unfortunately, don't come up to speed at all.

There's a slow, there's a slow....there's a slow brain coming (copyright Dylan 1979)

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: March 1, 2013 21:37

Never disappointed with all these DVD versions, some people here did a Great Job joint with the youtube uploaders, i´m very satisfied with the bootlegs from the 50&Counting mini-tour..

..indeed i´m a bit disappointed with the PPV performance and excess of guests, it is the dvd that i see less.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: March 1, 2013 23:10

stonesman87 is disappointed because he would like to see an 'official' film of the O2 concert...that's ok, his perogative and worthwhile and considered opinion

Like others, I think 'all' versions capture as best as possible the excitement and energy of that night and the sheer elation of seeing the Stones sprint out of the blocks and deliver a great show - in many ways eclipsing 2007.
What's not to like and enjoy about that? And I can see myself on several shots! cool smiley

However, what these films cannot do - and very few (if any) films can so this not a criticism of any kind - is to fully immerse you in the live experience 'of that moment' and the shared joy of being there...and in this gig partiularly to appreciate how loud the guitars were on the night!!thumbs up

Date: March 2, 2013 00:59

Zagalo
stonesman87 is disappointed because he would like to see an 'official' film of the O2 concert...that's ok, his perogative and worthwhile and considered opinion

Like others, I think 'all' versions capture as best as possible the excitement and energy of that night and the sheer elation of seeing the Stones sprint out of the blocks and deliver a great show - in many ways eclipsing 2007.
What's not to like and enjoy about that? And I can see myself on several shots! cool smiley

However, what these films cannot do - and very few (if any) films can so this not a criticism of any kind - is to fully immerse you in the live experience 'of that moment' and the shared joy of being there...and in this gig partiularly to appreciate how loud the guitars were on the night!!thumbs up

Thank Zagalo, that's exactly my point. I really wish there was an official 1st O2 film. As I've mentioned in other posts, I'd just lurve to see Bill's first live stuff with the group for almost 20 years, as well as the whole of this historic 1st 50th anniversary show, in top quality like the PPV one. It's simply a fact of life that compilations of audience footage from YouTube aren't the same. But of course, that's what we have for now. Will continue to hope for a commercial release some time. thumbs up

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: March 2, 2013 13:05

That footage with Bill will quite definitely appear as bonus material on a 50th anniversary blu-ray HD etc box.
Just check the multi-youtube versions: Bill is haunted by cameramen.

The sound:
I actually think the MFG audio-remix is superior to the PPV mix....
On the PPV video, the guitars are pushed way to the back. On MFG's audio the guitars are where they're supposed to be: like that "dead maquerel" in your face.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home