Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pontiac '81 on DAC
Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:29

The coming months I wanna buy a couple of DAC cd's from the '81 tour, 'cause you can't buy them on other (cheaper!)labels.

Can annybody tell me what is the difference with the Pontiac releases?

There's a four cd with both concerts and there are two double cd's with the same concerts (30-11 and 01-12-'81), all are soundboards.

Going to a gogo DAC 034 4CD
Mission direct hits DAC 069 2CD
Pontiac's Rebellion DAC 076 2CD

I 've looked for information about these releases, but I don't get the same answeres/conclusions,
so I'm not sure which versions are the best and it's way too expensive to buy them all.

Re: Pontiac '81 on DAC
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 25, 2012 18:40

Going To A Go Go (DAC) comes from a muddy mono SBD source
Mission Direct Hits (DAC) and Pontiacs Rebellion (DAC) comes from an EX stereo SBD source; HOWEVER....DAC has added a "roof of white noise" over the recording, to make nobody notice that this comes from an MP3 source!
If you are over 55....you will not hear this "roof of noise". But *I* can hear it. It makes the recording impossible to enjoy.

I would recommend that you just listen to these 2 shows at "Wolfgangs Vaults" (which is where DAC copied it from).

And IF you want to buy "bootlegs".....then get "Take The Longview" (White Widow), "Union Jack Flash" (White Widow) and "Live at Silverdome" (IMP)

The DAC releases really suck for these 2 shows.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: February 25, 2012 19:48

Erik_Snow

If you are over 55....you will not hear this "roof of noise". But *I* can hear it. It makes the recording impossible to enjoy..

Hey, I'm under 55 (not much though...) and can't hear the noise anymore... Do I have to be worried now...? smiling smiley

Date: February 25, 2012 20:06

Thanks for your explanation, Erik_Snow!

So, what you're realy saying is: Don't buy it at all (from DAC)!
Did they realy put a lot of noise in the recording(I'm 44, so that's not good!)? That's crazy!

Fortunately 'cause all those sb-recordings are the same kind of recordings, without audience and without any ambience, it doesn't realy matter if you are listening to a recording of N.Y. or Frisco, or whatever city; it sounds all the same, with the same setlist.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: February 25, 2012 21:55

midnrambler
Erik_Snow

If you are over 55....you will not hear this "roof of noise". But *I* can hear it. It makes the recording impossible to enjoy..

Hey, I'm under 55 (not much though...) and can't hear the noise anymore... Do I have to be worried now...? smiling smiley

don`t worry, it only means that you are over it and now can enjoy *every* stones recording ;-)

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 16, 2012 17:04

DAC 069 is the best boot from 1981! It seems to be a mix of the best sources for this hot show in Pontiac. I think they spliced in the King Biscuit tracks with Wolfgangs Vault release. The King Biscuit tracks sound better than than the official King Biscuit CDs. ExileStones

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: March 16, 2012 21:31

Erik_Snow
If you are over 55....you will not hear this "roof of noise". But *I* can hear it. It makes the recording impossible to enjoy.
So, only 2 more months to go and I can enjoy these hot smiley
(but we all know that age has nothing to do with ones hearing, at least not 55! Although, being a Stones fan for 42 years with a lot of concerts behind me, I could probably already have bought those 20 years ago without hearing it anymore, LOL !!!)

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 16, 2012 21:50

coowouters
Erik_Snow
(but we all know that age has nothing to do with ones hearing, at least not 55! Although, being a Stones fan for 42 years with a lot of concerts behind me, I could probably already have bought those 20 years ago without hearing it anymore, LOL !!!)

Meanwhile "55" was just a guess, and different from person to person;
I think you misunderstood what I meant, there.

Because it's not a matter of not having "worse hearing" (like you speak about), but about "not hearing the higher frequenzies". It's a fact that once you reach 20-25, you loose more and more of your ability to hear high frequenizies for every year that goes by

ANyway, I hear an awful "high frequenze sound" on this DAC release, which makes me unable to enjoy it. Other people don't hear this. But I got a damn good hearing (I've done medical hearing-tests), and I'm not...."old" - yet tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-16 22:57 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 16, 2012 23:58

Erik_Snow
coowouters
Erik_Snow

Because it's not a matter of not having "worse hearing" (like you speak about), but about "not hearing the higher frequenzies". It's a fact that once you reach 20-25, you loose more and more of your ability to hear high frequenizies for every year that goes by

ANyway, I hear an awful "high frequenze sound" on this DAC release, which makes me unable to enjoy it. Other people don't hear this. But I got a damn good hearing (I've done medical hearing-tests), and I'm not...."old" - yet tongue sticking out smiley

Erik

Curse your rotten sort of young ears.
I still hear it at 41!

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: March 17, 2012 00:14

Erik_Snow
coowouters
Erik_Snow

Eric, just making fun :-)

Chris from Belgium

Date: May 21, 2012 23:42

Thanks for all the posts and especially Eric_Snow for the info.

Yesterday I bought the two cd's "Take The Longview" and "Union Jack Flash" (White Widow) for the best Pontiac '81 cd's.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: May 22, 2012 15:04

It was great to see and collect all these 81 soundboard releases.
If only subsequent tours get the same treatment.
I was at this Pontiac show- what a blast.
81 was the last tour before it all went corporate for me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home