Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hampton 81 CaptainAcidRemaster_Un-brickwalled
Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: February 6, 2012 18:58

If you send a personal mail to acid.captain@yahoo.com ,with the message:
" i am a Stones fanatic "
or
" I would like to be a Stones fanatic "

i shall put you on a mail list for some future Acid Project Specials.

Captain Acid
smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 14:32 by CaptainAcid.

Re: Hampton 81 CaptainAcidRemaster_Un-brickwalled
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 6, 2012 21:37

Best of luck with this endeavour. Hampton really needs someone skilled to work on it = save it.

Posted by: THE DON ()
Date: February 6, 2012 22:57

Hi CaptainAcid,

I presume you are talking about the latest Hampton that has been avaialbe to buy by download.

If so what would you do to it to make it better? Would be interested in knowing in details just as you usual do for other CaptainAcid works you have done.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 6, 2012 23:14

Is it even possible to "un-brickwall" something? A bad EQ setting can be undone, obviously, but a destroyed dynamic range? I think the situation is similar to MP3 decoding - once the information is lost, you can't get it back.

Date: February 7, 2012 00:36

Hi friends,
@ Hampton really needs someone skilled to work on it = save it.
i am a professional smoking smiley, trust me

@ I presume you are talking about the latest Hampton
Yes i am. The sound on it was remastered extremely hot, it sounds to me like mastering for "Foo Fighters" not for rock`n`roll gig from 1981.So i have tried to undo some of the harm done by bad mastering. I have lowered the volume ( by RMS, not peak - loudness) for 3 db. After that i have discovered that i also have to correct the phase and pitch ( just a bit, for - 13.2 cents). And than in the end i did some EQ, trying to undo frequencies that were exaggerated with hot,hot mastering.

@ Is it even possible to "un-brickwall" something? A bad EQ setting can be undone, obviously, but a destroyed dynamic range?
Well, it is almost impossible to restore the dynamics, once it was squashed. It would be so much better to have not limited and not compressed recording in the first place. But we`ll have to wait for that. This mastering was aimed for people with I-pod`s, small computer speakers, car stereo, cell phones...etc. It was not done for audiophiles or people with better ,sound systems.
So i was just sort of doing few tricks to make it easier on the ears, more gentle sound, warmer.It was just too harsh.

Yours truly
Captain Acid

Date: February 7, 2012 15:20

"This mastering was aimed for people with I-pod`s, small computer speakers, car stereo, cell phones...etc"

You're probably right, alas... Once again Jagger is wrong in targeting the 13-25 y.o. market. Those who are interested in the whole "Stones archives" biz are in the 30-70 y.o. market.

Date: February 7, 2012 15:21

"i also have to correct the pitch"
Can you explain why? I don't see the relation between a flawed mastering and the pitch.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 7, 2012 15:36

My knowledge of the technicalities is extremely limited but I do recognise when something is easier on the ear...Thanks Captainacid, much nicer,thumbs up ,Eddie

Great cover too............

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 15:47 by EddieByword.

Date: February 7, 2012 17:10

@ Can you explain why? I don't see the relation between a flawed mastering and the pitch.

Well since i had files in Soundforge i have checked if pitch is correct and it was running slightly faster so i have slowed it down tiny bit.I usually tune my guitar on a guitar tuner and play along with the track and tweaking it(the track speed, i mean) until my guitar and the track are in tune.
I have also flipped the phase and it was better. I know it is a bit sacrilegious to do all this, but i just did what sounded better to me and what i have thought is better.
I mean you have the original, anyway, this is just my view.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-07 19:28 by CaptainAcid.

Posted by: JBH69Flyer ()
Date: February 8, 2012 06:34

Nice work!! I tip my cap to the Captain! Great Service too!! Best Wishes-Jimmy

Posted by: Mixedreactions ()
Date: February 8, 2012 06:58

Very well done and I thank you for the alternate listen!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 8, 2012 11:17

I like Captain Acid's work on this, too. It's now possible to listen to the show, even at louder volume without just wanting to turn the thing off. Nicely done, thanks Gile

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 8, 2012 17:11

This sounds warmer as you have stated Gile. Are you now better at this than Bob Clearmountain?

You need to start making Clearmountain money.

Date: February 8, 2012 18:59

Munichhilton
This sounds warmer as you have stated Gile. Are you now better at this than Bob Clearmountain?

I am not so sure Bob Clearmountain did this to a stereo master. It was stated Bob did the mix.Probably some other "genius" did the mastering of 2 track stereo master.
Ah, maybe this is the right moment to unveil my suspicion.

Guys, i am very suspicious this was a new remix at all?
I am thinking if it could be The Stones are bootlegging the bootleggers? Either they are using stereo mixes that they had for ages or using best bootleg sources that exists? And than they just do heavy maximizing, "REMASTERING" I mean if this is a new remix, why Bob Clearmountain? Why not Don Was?
How is it possible that i had to correct phase and pitch on official mix?
I have not yet compared this "new" mix with the VGP ( the best soundboard ), one on one, but i remember that "Some Girls In Texas `78" mix sounded strangely familiar. Just like the existing bootlegs of the show.

Date: February 8, 2012 19:41

CaptainAcid
Munichhilton

I am not so sure Bob Clearmountain did this to a stereo master. It was stated Bob did the mix.Probably some other "genius" did the mastering of 2 track stereo master.
Ah, maybe this is the right moment to unveil my suspicion.

I am thinking if it could be The Stones are bootlegging the bootleggers? Either they are using stereo mixes that they had for ages or using best bootleg sources that exists? And than they just do heavy maximizing, "REMASTERING" I mean if this is a new remix, why Bob Clearmountain? Why not Don Was?
I have not yet compared this "new" mix with the VGP ( the best soundboard ), one on one, but i remember that "Some Girls In Texas `78" mix sounded strangely familiar. Just like the existing bootlegs of the show.

Oh no
Can open....worms everywhere.
I have to assume they had the masters because of Still Life songs.

Date: February 8, 2012 20:49

@...Oh no
Can open....worms everywhere.

Oh, don`t worry, i shall probably be in the minority with my suspicion. When you think logically and realistically, my suspicion is probably highly unlikely, there has to be another explanation.

As for Still LIFE, the Stones were unfortunately overdubbing lot`s of things on that "Live" album ("Still Life"). But they were doing it on every live album since "Get Yer Ya-Ya`s Out" [ they were faking it actually since "Got Live If You Want It" adding audience].

And that is why we love bootlegs better ! smoking smiley

Date: February 8, 2012 22:37

"I am thinking if it could be The Stones are bootlegging the bootleggers? Either they are using stereo mixes that they had for ages or using best bootleg sources that exists? And than they just do heavy maximizing, "REMASTERING"

I have not yet compared this "new" mix with the VGP ( the best soundboard ), one on one, but i remember that "Some Girls In Texas `78" mix sounded strangely familiar. Just like the existing bootlegs of the show"

It'd be hilarious if they did... and have the guts to charge 9 dollars for something one could get for free off IORR!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 9, 2012 11:40

CaptainAcid

Except for Flashpoint and No Security Bob Clearmountain has mixed every official live releases since Still Life, including Stripped which is possibly the best sounding live album by the Stones.
The hot mastering is probably due to Stones management who asked some guy (Stephen Marcussen?) to master this as loud as possible to meet market's expectations. Or maybe that's Jagger who is getting deaf? smiling smiley

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: February 9, 2012 12:06

Thanks for your great work, Captain!smileys with beer

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: February 9, 2012 12:36

Whoever is responsible for the dodgy remastering, at least we've got the Captain to sort it out for us.

But I too find it incredible that he had to correct things like phase and pitch.

Anyway, thank you for a great job.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 9, 2012 14:45

Where can I get the CaptainAcid version?

Thanks smiling smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 9, 2012 15:09

WeLoveYou

Thanks smiling smiley

Email the Captain...1st post on this thread..(at the top).........

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 9, 2012 16:49

EddieByword
WeLoveYou

Thanks smiling smiley

Email the Captain...1st post on this thread..(at the top).........

I will thanks smiling smiley

I wonder if recording the official release to a high qaulity tape deck would help? Then records back to wav > mp3. It could soften up the sound and make it more pleasant on the ears.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: February 9, 2012 19:12

CaptainAcid

I don't think you're right here. The new release has a clear channel separation - Ronnie left, Keith right. None of the bootleg releases except the 8 songs from Grande Finale has this too, they all (incl. VGP) have only poor channel separation, all comes more or less from the middle. So I would say it is simply impossible to create the new version from a bootleg release.

Date: February 9, 2012 20:59

@ I don't think you're right here. The new release has a clear channel separation - Ronnie left, Keith right. None of the bootleg releases except the 8 songs from Grande Finale has this too, they all (incl. VGP) have only poor channel separation, all comes more or less from the middle. So I would say it is simply impossible to create the new version from a bootleg release.

Yes, yes, you are most probably right midnrambler. I got carried away a bit on that one, sorry, just a moment of paranoia, on my side.grinning smiley

Date: February 9, 2012 22:05

midnrambler
So I would say it is simply impossible to create the new version from a bootleg release.

Impossible is never simple

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: February 10, 2012 14:09

midnrambler
CaptainAcid

I don't think you're right here. The new release has a clear channel separation - Ronnie left, Keith right. None of the bootleg releases except the 8 songs from Grande Finale has this too, they all (incl. VGP) have only poor channel separation, all comes more or less from the middle. So I would say it is simply impossible to create the new version from a bootleg release.

Yep, the Archive release blows all previous bootleg releases of this show out of the water (with the exception of the vinyl only release Grande Finale). The archive release possibly could benefit from a slightly less brickwalled mastering but overall I think it's a great improvement.

www.rsundercover.eu

Date: February 10, 2012 16:51

They most probaly worked from their own 24-tracks master but as is the music sounds like it was sourced from a privately made off-the-air AM vintage recording : it sounds hot, overloaded and crappy.

Shame... Better luck with vol.III? Let's hope they'll make a "dB zero" mastering this time. Let the music breathe!

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: February 11, 2012 18:19

CAPTAIN ACID:

You're definitely right about the sound quality of the Hampton release.

Listening to the FLAC files, the sound is far too " bright ". It's really hard on the ears to listen to this release. VERY DISAPPOINTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've compared it to my copy of SODD's " HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEITH " and frankly, I prefer the SODD 2007 re-mastered release (more mellow sounding) even though there is less clear stereo imaging on some of the tracks. At least with the bootleg, I can actually sit down and listen to the entire double disc without getting a headache.

Regards

SFTD

P.S>

By simply reducing the volume level on the tracks by 20 % sounded better, so I re-burned the FLAC files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-11 23:15 by SFTD.

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: February 15, 2012 03:46

CaptainAcid
[...]

Why didn't you deal with the clipping?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home