Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones copycats
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 17, 2011 14:21

Post here songs that bear clear resemblance to the Stones numbers. It may be a riff, a melody, some lyrics.

Here's the first one. I think you'll recognize the opening riff immediately:

Re: Rolling Stones copycats
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: December 17, 2011 15:13

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 17, 2011 18:02

Fair idea all the same, a lot of Aerosmith, other bands do sound Stonish, I think the Seeds song Pushin' to hard sounds a bit RS, Easybeats Friday on my mind as well though difficult to know if the RS were the main influence. Oh, and from the JEfferson Airplane, someone mentioned Chocolate Watch Band and I've heard songs from them that have that sound. NOT the Tremeloes though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-17 18:35 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 17, 2011 18:14

Are we suppose to use the older thread? In a way to call a group "copycats" is not complimentary, the Flamin' Groovies would get the same amps and guitar models the Beatles, Stones or Kinks used and record on those, trying to get the real sound and with some success as the youtube video shows. I'm sure there have been other Stones knockoff threads. Aerosmith of course will be mentioned, 'No more, no more' sounds a lot like the Who's long live rock but the songs may be contemporaneous to each other somewhat but I really think they sound just like each other. I give thumbs up to the Chesterfield Kings mentioned in the other thread though I think the song "Up and Down" (I've been up, I've been down) could also sound a bit like Rod Stewart and the Faces.

One has to catch the vocals, not immediate but about 90 seconds in or so, sounds like Mick Jagger.

Other Flamin' Groovies songs like Slow death, Shake some action are innovative on their own though, Groovies have a number of influences. The slide guitar though makes one think of the Rolling Stones, I don't know if that many other bands actually used the slide so aside from image, history and all else, the Rolling Stones are a very good group.

Date: December 17, 2011 18:38

I didn't mean groups that are influenced by The Rolling Stones or have similar sound, but songs that have certain elements very similar to Stones' songs, maybe even on the verge of plagiarism.

Date: May 13, 2013 23:22

Great song, but waaaay too much inspired by Sympathy For The Devil.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 14, 2013 00:35

Lee Michaels, singing oh-so-Jaggeresque, with a classic rock radio staple from 1971.

"Been 14 days since I don't know when, I just saw her with my best friend, do you know what I mean?"

Date: September 11, 2013 13:08

0:49 - this riff bears clear resemblance to Jumping Jack Flash, great song anyway

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 11, 2013 13:57

This band sounded more like the Stones than the Stones did.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 11, 2013 13:59

BroomWagon
Are we suppose to use the older thread? In a way to call a group "copycats" is not complimentary, the Flamin' Groovies would get the same amps and guitar models the Beatles, Stones or Kinks used and record on those, trying to get the real sound and with some success as the youtube video shows. I'm sure there have been other Stones knockoff threads. Aerosmith of course will be mentioned, 'No more, no more' sounds a lot like the Who's long live rock but the songs may be contemporaneous to each other somewhat but I really think they sound just like each other. I give thumbs up to the Chesterfield Kings mentioned in the other thread though I think the song "Up and Down" (I've been up, I've been down) could also sound a bit like Rod Stewart and the Faces.

One has to catch the vocals, not immediate but about 90 seconds in or so, sounds like Mick Jagger.

Other Flamin' Groovies songs like Slow death, Shake some action are innovative on their own though, Groovies have a number of influences. The slide guitar though makes one think of the Rolling Stones, I don't know if that many other bands actually used the slide so aside from image, history and all else, the Rolling Stones are a very good group.

Ha - that's one of my best buddies Chris Wilson that you're talking about there. I'll pass on the complements as he'll love that. It was his birthday yesterday too.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 11, 2013 15:36

"Too Tough" and "It Must Be Hell" sound similar to the Rolling Stones. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 11, 2013 15:40

Elmo Lewis
"Too Tough" and "It Must Be Hell" sound similar to the Rolling Stones. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 11, 2013 15:43

Silver Dagger
This band sounded more like the Stones than the Stones did.

is that Brian on harp?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 11, 2013 16:17

whatever happened to that Lee Michaels feller..

do you know what I mean..

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 11, 2013 21:26

I have a Mick Taylor live record that has a Bonus track by a band named Dead Amanda. The song (Turns to Gold) has not only because of Mick Taylor playing guitar on it a Sway feel.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 11, 2013 21:28

stonehearted
Lee Michaels, singing oh-so-Jaggeresque, with a classic rock radio staple from 1971.

"Been 14 days since I don't know when, I just saw her with my best friend, do you know what I mean?"

Not even close......

It has an upright bass...its piano oriented. It has a hammond B3. I believe no guitar. But it has a snappy snare. Joe cocker maybe. Stones...hell no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 21:32 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: September 12, 2013 00:31

Hey guys, how about Thane Russal's "Security" from 1966? Check it out at

Just like The Knickerbockers' "Lies" sounded so much like The Beatles, "Security" was THE outstanding soundalike to the Stones way back then.

Date: July 9, 2014 00:04

It's not a stark resemblance, but the drum pattern and guitars in the verses remind me Undercover Of The Night.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 9, 2014 00:14

Some blond chick with short hair had a dress with a tongue on it. There is a picture of her on this site, unknown which thread, but a real copy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1309
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home