Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Request: The Sucking in the 70's version of Whip
Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: September 17, 2011 07:58

It's surprisingly difficult to the find actual Sucking in the 70's version of When the Whip Comes Down on here. There are some versions of the unedited version from Detroit in various qualities, but I can't find the edited version of the "official" release from this 1981 album. Any help, anyone?

It just may be my favorite live song the Stones have ever done.

(Well, ask me again tomorrow, and I'll answer differently... but this one is always up there...)

Megaupload would be great, but beggars can't be choosers...

Re: Request: The Sucking in the 70's version of Whip
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 17, 2011 11:49

Sucking in the '70's (and all the tracks on it) is Official so not allowed to be posted on IORR...............

Here's a few copies on EBAY.........[www.ebay.co.uk] ................hope that helps.....

btw where did you find the unedited version....could you be so kind as to post a link ? thanks, Eddie

Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: September 17, 2011 13:08

Oh yeah,and can somebody post the version of "When The Whip Comes Down", from "Sucking In Detroit"(Rattle Snake 201/202)?
Song No. 5 on first disc. Thank you,if you can help.
Captain

Posted by: MisterDee ()
Date: September 18, 2011 02:26

Several years from now i've made a compilation for myself and what i wrote
on the back sleeve is "When the Whip..." Midsouth Coliseum, Memphis 28/6/78

An audience source of the Detroit show reveals that the version of 'Whip' is not the one released on 'Sucking'. It is similar in groove, but is different version.
Maybe to try with Memphis version [Some Girls are Bigger than Others, if it is really from Memphis, because there is some mess with these soundboard King Biscuit
tapes]

Mr. D

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 18, 2011 11:56

rocker1:

Why don´t you simply buy Sucking In The 70´s...?

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: September 21, 2011 04:42

Ha, well, I have Sucking in the 70's on many formats already. Just thought I would ask about a link to download of a rip that someone else has done so I could be lazy and not do it myself! I understand about not posting "official" content, though, and honestly didn't think to consider that.

There are links to the the Detroit show that are quite easily found on this board. If I get a sec, I post the direct links. There you can compare how the Sucking in the 70's version was shortened slightly from the original performance.

As for the source...to my ears the Detroit version of When the Whip Comes Down sounds EXACTLY like the version from Sucking in the 70's, except it's been edited to be slightly shorter. (IMO, it's a fantastic edit...and this coming from someone who would usually much prefer the unadulterated versions 98% of the time.)

I've seen this version of Whip identified on various boots as from Memphis, too. (In fact, didn't the "official" packaging on Sucking in the 70's at one time identify it as Memphis. I'm pretty sure that's absolutely wrong.) I think that true and proper source for Whip Comes on Sucking in the 70's is in fact Detroit.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:02

I also am certain it is Detroit...its all the same everything. Ronnie's solo fills were never the same like they are between these two.
Also the dead giveaway is Mick at the end saying 'Thank You' right after Charlie's final little drum crash and snare.

Posted by: MisterDee ()
Date: September 22, 2011 05:04

OK, just realized that the boot 'We Could Be Respectables' (MC-052) isn't from Detroit, as the cover says, but from New York Palladium 19/6. Also the version from Memphis (which i just downloaded) isn't the same as the released version on Sucking. You are right, "Whip" must be from Detroit and i'll make changes to my artworks. Fake bootleg sleeve information just messed up my mind, sorry

Mr.D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home