Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
New DAC 'Pirate'-any info?
Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: May 26, 2011 20:49

Hi All,
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but as many will know- DAC just released another 'non-numbered' 2cd, which isn't part of their catalogue, but a kind of 'sideways' release similar to their 'Complete Ya Ya's' cd. In other words, it's pirated official material.
It's the old (quite rare) German Decca 4-disc set from the early '80's: 'The Rest Of The Best' (see pic's). This had/has several rare tracks on it, that to my knowledge haven't appeared on any subsequent releases, e.g: 'Memphis' (instrumental, recorded under the 'Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra' moniker), 'Da Do Ron Ron' (ditto- but with Jagger on vocals) & obviously- 'C*cksucker Blues'.
That's absolutely ALL I know about it & even that's probably wrong!. I was hoping somebody hear might know if there's actually anything else on this that's different, or of interest (?). If it's purely a matter of those few tracks- I wouldn't really want to waste my money. I've done a bit of 'Googling' & learnt NOTHING other than the above, but I KNOW there's some experts on here who might be able to help. I'd REALLY appreciate it! :-))

Re: New DAC 'Pirate'-any info?
Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: May 26, 2011 21:05

i bought this album in the 80's

it was a good complication the rest & the best (germany decca)

the german album around and around & this you got all the b sides & more not on the uk versions lp.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 26, 2011 21:08

Hi Doolittle, the reason is that this release hasn't "reached" Europe yet. I have NOT ordered this one. But a friend of mine in Europe has - but it hasn't showed up.
The reason for not me ordering it - is that I have the vinyl set.

I bet this DAC is exactly alike the vinyl set, apart from some noise reduction and such, which degrades the recording.

Apart from the degrading (just a guess of mine - I don't know, yet) - I think bootlegers are most welcome to release stuff like this, as the official record-companies doesn't.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: May 26, 2011 21:11

The DAC CD is an exact copy of the 4LP set (the songs may however come from other sources, at least partly). Added is CS Blues plus Brown Sugar (birthday jam w. Eric Clapton & Al Kooper). The latter was on the bootleg CS Blues single but NOT on the one sided CS Blues single that was in that box.

Date: May 26, 2011 21:42

Thanks guys & I agree, if the record companies just can't be bothered to release something just a little different, then you can't blame the bootleggers for taking advantage of demand.
I'm in the UK, so I guess the material once considered rare in certain territories has now been available for some time on eg: 'The Singles Collection', the dinky boxes, with the 'Got Live...' eps etc in them & 'More Hot Rocks' etc. Is that right- apart from the tracks I mentioned?. I thought there might be a few unavailable stereo tracks, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
I THINK this is indeed a direct copy of the German vinyl set & if it has been de-noised by DAC, it's probably not worth buying (?). Like 'Ya Ya's' it's being sold alot cheaper than other DAC releases- which made it more tempting at first.

Date: May 26, 2011 22:14

MrsHop
Like 'Ya Ya's' it's being sold alot cheaper than other DAC releases- which made it more tempting at first.

45 dollars (incl. postage) from Japan.
THAT should have been the standard price of "real DAC releases", I'd say (for a 2CD release)

I don't bother to shell out for these DAC releases anymore

When it comes to the "Get Yer Complete Ya Yas Out" release. It's a great idea. And something which whould had been released officially in the first time. I've been playing that CD about 30 times allready. It's a brilliant release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-27 11:27 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 26, 2011 22:21

This just in from DAC:

"You know you love us. Now continue behaving normally. PS what does EQ mean?"

Date: May 26, 2011 22:38

grinning smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 27, 2011 00:23

I have a strange feeling that this is a copy of a torrent (excellent vinyl rip) that was uploaded at least twice on... well known site in 2008 or 2009. Plus Brown Sugar as a bonus track.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 27, 2011 04:10

ironbelly
I have a strange feeling that this is a copy of a torrent (excellent vinyl rip) that was uploaded at least twice on... well known site in 2008 or 2009. Plus Brown Sugar as a bonus track.

Yes, the demons have this, thanks for the heads-up, ironbelly, just started torrenting this, only a couple of seeds but chugging along quite nicely

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: May 27, 2011 08:35

To me the most remarkable track is Tell Me Baby (How Many Times) the Big Bill Broonzy song which is presented as Tell Me 1st version but it is not,it comes from Chess Studios in 64 and from bootleg,therefore it is a bootleg track on an official release alongside with CS Blues another reason why they had to stop selling the LP box officially when Decca found out.

Posted by: adrianmfa2 ()
Date: May 27, 2011 11:36

Erik_Snow
MrsHop
Like 'Ya Ya's' it's being sold alot cheaper than other DAC releases- which made it more tempting at first.

THAT should have been the standard price of "real DAC releases", I'd say (for a 2CD release)

When it comes to the "Get Yer Complete Ya Yas Out" release. It's a great idea. And something which whould had been released officially in the first time. I've been playing that CD about 30 times allready. It's a brilliant release.

Please, tell me where i can buy DAC releases.

Thank you.

Date: May 27, 2011 11:50

adrianmfa2
Erik_Snow
MrsHop

Thank you.

i did my own complete ya ya .

Date: May 27, 2011 14:05

vancouver
adrianmfa2
Erik_Snow
MrsHop

Thank you.

i did my own complete ya ya .

Of course that's a whole lot better than purchasing it, Vancouver. I should have done the same thing.......then again - it's nice recieving something in the mail

Date: May 27, 2011 14:07

riccardo99
To me the most remarkable track is Tell Me Baby (How Many Times) the Big Bill Broonzy song which is presented as Tell Me 1st version but it is not,it comes from Chess Studios in 64 and from bootleg,therefore it is a bootleg track on an official release alongside with CS Blues another reason why they had to stop selling the LP box officially when Decca found out.

Yes indeed - it's a straight copy of a bootleg
The guy who put this German 4LP box together was a big Stones fan, and obviously had a nice bootleg collection at his house.

Date: May 27, 2011 17:09

riccardo99

You've confused me here. Are you SURE this is the case?. Afterall- this track WAS officially recorded & belongs to Decca. They must obviously have all the masters from that period & the reason it's found its way onto boots, is because the track leaked-out. I know it's on numerous boots, but it's STILL an official track that ended up on a Decca release. Decca probably weren't working with the original masters at this time, but I have no doubt that it exists somewhere within Decca's archives, aswell as everything else that was released from this period.

Date: May 27, 2011 17:39

MrsHop
riccardo99

You've confused me here. Are you SURE this is the case?. Afterall- this track WAS officially recorded & belongs to Decca. They must obviously have all the masters from that period & the reason it's found its way onto boots, is because the track leaked-out. I know it's on numerous boots, but it's STILL an official track that ended up on a Decca release. Decca probably weren't working with the original masters at this time, but I have no doubt that it exists somewhere within Decca's archives, aswell as everything else that was released from this period.

from what i know; the German guy who put this compilation together did NOT have access to the "vaults" at all. He was a "fan" just like us others. And the UK headquarter trusted him in putting a good compilation together.
Wonder if he lost the job afterwards.....

Date: May 27, 2011 18:14

Erik_Snow
MrsHop
riccardo99

from what i know; the German guy who put this compilation together did NOT have access to the "vaults" at all. He was a "fan" just like us others. And the UK headquarter trusted him in putting a good compilation together.
Wonder if he lost the job afterwards.....

Wow!- interesting. Give that man a medal I say! :-))

Date: May 27, 2011 18:25

P.S: Erik- I know I'm going 'off topic', but who cares? :-). In fact- if you don't like this question- then GET OFF OF MY THREAD!!! (sorry- bad joke). I just wondered:
Do you know anything about the 3 new 'no-label' releases?. I know they're taken from old vinyl titles, but I don't do torrents- so, I have no idea if these have been 'lifted'- or whether they're worth a second glance. It's not like ANY of us are rolling in money right now is it? & I don't actually buy as many boots as some might assume. Like yourself though- I think many of these 'no-label' releases are much more interesting than the other big Jap'boot releases. They're HUGELY expensive, but by the time I ever see a review (a good one) they've already sold out (!). Do you know anything about them?. I'd really appreciate any advice you might be able to give.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: May 27, 2011 18:51

From The Complete Works:
831216A 16th December: THE ROLLING STONES.
4 LP-Box ‘The Rest Of The Best’ (Teldec 6.30125FX, Germany). Incl.
- Tell Me Baby (William Broonzy)
Line-up: MJ (voc, harm)/KR (gtr)/BJ (gtr)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)
Note: This outtake from Chess, Chicago 11.6.64 was “mistakenly“ put on the album as ‘Tell Me (2nd Version)’. German Teldec even
went further with a second edition of this box-set (see 841200A).

Date: May 27, 2011 20:16

the german decca did some good own lp:s

in the 60's,after this album the best of the rest they where forbidden to do more own collection ?

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: May 28, 2011 00:56

They made some really great compilations indeed and "The Best Of The Rest" wasn't the last one they did but the last with any importance. Shortly after this the CDs came up and the focus was back to the - more or less - original releases. But I think it was finally over when London took over in 1989.

By the way - all German compilations can be found on my site www.vinylstones.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-28 00:57 by silkcut1978_.

Date: May 28, 2011 10:55

MrsHop
P.S: Erik- I know I'm going 'off topic', but who cares? :-). In fact- if you don't like this question- then GET OFF OF MY THREAD!!! (sorry- bad joke). I just wondered:
Do you know anything about the 3 new 'no-label' releases?. I know they're taken from old vinyl titles, but I don't do torrents- so, I have no idea if these have been 'lifted'- or whether they're worth a second glance. It's not like ANY of us are rolling in money right now is it? & I don't actually buy as many boots as some might assume. Like yourself though- I think many of these 'no-label' releases are much more interesting than the other big Jap'boot releases. They're HUGELY expensive, but by the time I ever see a review (a good one) they've already sold out (!). Do you know anything about them?. I'd really appreciate any advice you might be able to give.

Sorry, Doolittle - I haven't purchased the last 3 "no label releases". I think they are far too expensive, I must say. Only have 3 of their releases on silvers, as of now.

Besides,I'm quite sure that the "Smoking Stones" release is a copy of the vinyl rip kindly shared by Whiskey and Urban Steel on IORR. Which I later uploaded to DIME

LA 1981.....not sure - maybe their own rip

Vienna 1973 - probably their own; Essen 1973 - maybe their own; or maybe a copy of Silkcut's vinyl rip (my giess would be the later)

The label doesn't ruin the sound with EQing - unlike DAC, so they're a good one. Yet, I find it silly to shell out 60 dollars for something that I allready have on the harddrive/CDrs.

Date: May 28, 2011 11:41

Erik_Snow
MrsHop

Sorry, Doolittle - I haven't purchased the last 3 "no label releases". I think they are far too expensive, I must say. Only have 3 of their releases on silvers, as of now.

Besides,I'm quite sure that the "Smoking Stones" release is a copy of the vinyl rip kindly shared by Whiskey and Urban Steel on IORR. Which I later uploaded to DIME

Vienna 1973 - probably their own; Essen 1973 - maybe their own; or maybe a copy of Silkcut's vinyl rip (my giess would be the later)

The label doesn't ruin the sound with EQing - unlike DAC, so they're a good one. Yet, I find it silly to shell out 60 dollars for something that I allready have on the harddrive/CDrs.

I didn't think you'd have bought them, as you're right- they're just way too expensive. But your reply was really helpful anyway- thanks :-). I never owned, or heard these vinyl boots-so I was/am curious because they all apparently utilise different sources to the ones used on cd issues. Having said that- the Japanese have always seemed obsessed with having complete shows, even when they patch-in parts that sound terrible. So it added to my curiosity as these are kind of 'fragments'. It seems like the current obsession in Bootland is with old vinyl releases, which is good in many ways (I think?) as many were closer to the source weren't they (?). You know my thoughts on DAC, as they're pretty much like yours (though I may disagree a little on the good/bad ratio :-)), but I can't imagine another source of the 9th July LA Forum show (ie: 'Smokin' Stones') being better than that recording (?). But, as you'll have gathered- I'm by no means an expert.

Date: May 28, 2011 11:53

MrsHop
Erik_Snow
MrsHop

I didn't think you'd have bought them, as you're right- they're just way too expensive. But your reply was really helpful anyway- thanks :-). I never owned, or heard these vinyl boots-so I was/am curious because they all apparently utilise different sources to the ones used on cd issues. Having said that- the Japanese have always seemed obsessed with having complete shows, even when they patch-in parts that sound terrible. So it added to my curiosity as these are kind of 'fragments'. It seems like the current obsession in Bootland is with old vinyl releases, which is good in many ways (I think?) as many were closer to the source weren't they (?). You know my thoughts on DAC, as they're pretty much like yours (though I may disagree a little on the good/bad ratio :-)), but I can't imagine another source of the 9th July LA Forum show (ie: 'Smokin' Stones') being better than that recording (?). But, as you'll have gathered- I'm by no means an expert.

You don't have any bootleg releases on vinyl? There's a lot of terrific vinyl releases. Off of these 3 last no-label releases, I only have "100 Years Ago" and "Brown Sugar & White Snow". But they're both just explended

"Smokin Stones" features a different source of the July 9th show.....it's not the Mike Millard recording
But it's recorded by the same people (and same equipment) that gave us "Live'r Than You'll Ever Be".
It's not "better" at all. In fact, Millard's recording is better. BUT it is.....how to put it; "more rocking"! It sounds so dirty and so loose - I really love this source.

This is what I wrote when putting this IORR upload up to DIME, 1 year ago:

THE ROLLING STONES - "Smokin' Stones"
Vinyl bootleg

LINEAGE:
No specific lineage. It's a vinyl-rip of a most rare bootleg
(Look here for further details: [www.iorr.org] )

DATE:
Inglewood Forum, Los Angeles, California, July 9th 1975

QUALITY:
Excellent Audience

PERFORMANCE:
10 out of 10 stars....one of the very best performances of their best ever tours (together with 1972)

COMMENTS:
I'm uploading this vinyl rip which was kindly shared by mr Whiskey in Australia, then to be posted (on IORR) by UrbanSteel.
This vinyls features a recording of the first LA show of 1975. Mike Millard allready preserved this concert in fantastic quality - but this recording here, is a DIFFERENT one - and it's ALSO tremendous. Please choose your favourite yourself!

ARTWORK:
I made artworks myself (erik), but the "disc-artwork" is made by Urban Steel

TRACKLIST:

01 Interview - It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll
02 Band Introductions - Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
03 Fingerprint File
04 Ain’t Too Proud To Beg
05 You Gotta Move
06 If You Can’t Rock Me / Get Off Of My Cloud
07 Star Star

CD 2:

01 Radio Commercial / You Can't Always Get What You Want
02 Happy
03 Tumbling Dice
04 Radio commercial - Angie
05 Wild Horses
06 Brown Sugar
07 Jumping Jack Flash - Newscast

Uploaded by Erik Snow, Dec. 2010

All thankses goes to Whiskey in Australia, Urban Steel, and the Tour Of The Americas 1975

Date: May 28, 2011 12:41

Hi Erik- I used to have a fair few vinyl boots, but they were mostly a kind of 'hotch-potch' of BBC sessions & early stuff that sounded pretty bad. Then I had one of those 'times are hard' moments & sold them, but they certainly didn't sound good from what I remember. I always found it hard to find any boots here in the UK, even before the big clamp-down of the mid-'90's & I wasn't involved in any kind of 'trading circles' either. So, I obviously missed-out.
HUGE thanks for pointing me in the direction of your upload here :-)). Bizarrely- I did a search for this the other day (I didn't spot it last year) & I just kept getting 'No search results found' (!)- which is weird.
Anyway- I really appreciate this! :-)
P.S: I guess some of this also illustrates the different ages/generations who are Stones fans, as I'd only have been 8 years old when this show was 'rockin'' (!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-28 12:44 by MrsHop.

Date: May 28, 2011 12:51

MrsHop
Hi Erik- I used to have a fair few vinyl boots, but they were mostly a kind of 'hotch-potch' of BBC sessions & early stuff that sounded pretty bad. Then I had one of those 'times are hard' moments & sold them, but they certainly didn't sound good from what I remember. I always found it hard to find any boots here in the UK, even before the big clamp-down of the mid-'90's & I wasn't involved in any kind of 'trading circles' either. So, I obviously missed-out.
HUGE thanks for pointing me in the direction of your upload here :-)). Bizarrely- I did a search for this the other day (I didn't spot it last year) & I just kept getting 'No search results found' (!)- which is weird.
Anyway- I really appreciate this! :-)

Your welcome, Doolittle
Concerning vinyl releases, these are some releases which I do not have but are supposed to be great upgrades from the CDs of the same concerts. Vinyl-rips of these would be appreciated

Happy Birtday Charlie (2nd Cologne show of 1976 - horrible performance but great sound)

Comeback to England OR Comeback To England Vol 1. Don't know how these 2 releases differ.

The Turin show of 1982 (2nd show) which is supposedly a fantastic recording.

Please share, if you got anyone of these ones.

Date: May 28, 2011 13:01

hyde park vinyl audience sources

Date: May 28, 2011 13:17

vancouver
hyde park vinyl audience sources

Why?

Have you heard the "watch it" work of the entire Hyde Park show (taken from FM, CD and vinyl) ?

Date: May 28, 2011 13:33

yes !(only mp 3 ) but i need the audience source "i'm your and i'm hers" is unedited.

i'm thinking of matrix merge of this

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1193
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home