Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sort of OT: Ebay. Prices, shipping, etc.
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 19, 2014 22:36

I have come across some very nice items on Ebay, Stones included.
The prices are ok, but I don't know a thing about taxes, shipping and so on.
How many on this board are familiar with buying on Ebay and how does it work?

Re: Sort of OT: Ebay. Prices, shipping, etc.
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 19, 2014 22:40

It will depend on your country's policy of taxes and fees. I've bought some records on eBay for US$ 50,00 (shipping included) and I had to paid other US$ 50,00 for the taxes and fees when the record arrived here in Brazil.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 19, 2014 23:11

Cristiano Radtke
I've bought some records on eBay for US $50.00 (shipping included) and I had to paid other US $50.00 for the taxes and fees when the record arrived here in Brazil.

US $50.00 in "fees" on a US $50.00 purchase? Damn!

I order stuff via eBay all the time and have never paid a nickel for purchases that have come to me from other countries (I live in the USA). I have gotten items from many (MANY) different countries, too: Italy, the UK, France, Japan, Sweden, Germany, Australia, Turkey, etc.

Posted by: connection91 ()
Date: May 20, 2014 00:12

Had taxes to paid with package from amazon.ca to France. Grrr...
I purchased the Grrr superdeluxe and the 5 lps boxset. It was a bargainsmiling smiley at this time on Amazon.ca. With the tax, adios bargain, I've paid the same bill as other Amazon. Grrr again. angry smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 20, 2014 12:47

I think in the UK it's £17 tax on purchases over £50.....(it might have gone up since I last got caught by that)

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 21, 2014 22:17

MILKYWAY
Cristiano Radtke
I've bought some records on eBay for US $50.00 (shipping included) and I had to paid other US $50.00 for the taxes and fees when the record arrived here in Brazil.

US $50.00 in "fees" on a US $50.00 purchase? Damn!

I order stuff via eBay all the time and have never paid a nickel for purchases that have come to me from other countries (I live in the USA). I have gotten items from many (MANY) different countries, too: Italy, the UK, France, Japan, Sweden, Germany, Australia, Turkey, etc.

Yep, that was hard, and like connection91 posted above, "it was a bargain. With the tax, adios bargain".

BTW, I've read today this article about a massive cyberattack on eBay, and it would be safer for everybody to change their passwords on eBay.

[gizmodo.com]

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 22, 2014 03:56

Blueranger
I have come across some very nice items on Ebay, Stones included.
The prices are ok, but I don't know a thing about taxes, shipping and so on.
How many on this board are familiar with buying on Ebay and how does it work?
Well, ebay is a kind of mixed bag. After awhile you'll get used to it. Sometime you can get a bargain. Sometime 'WOOOOOW I WAAANT IIIIITTTT' impulse will make you lose money.

Taxes strongly depend on your country and if the item comes from abroad. Usually, a single CD or LP pass borders without problem. Taxation within the US is a different story I am not familiar with. Guess this depends on the local laws in the particular US State.

Payment - paypal is always a better choice. But certain guys from Germany will ask for bank transfer. In many cases that is funny. Once I bought a CD for 9 Euros including S&H but international bank transfer to Germany caused some 40+ Euros charges. Fortunately we were able to sort things out with the seller.

Shipment is also problem for certain territories. I know sellers do not want to ship to Italy, Russia or South America using regular post, only registered. And current overseas USPS rates make purchases from the US senseless. The item could cost a penny but S&H to Europe will be $12-$15 or more if the guy will claim registered only.

Sure there are a lot of other issues like wrong or incorrect description, overestimated shape/state of LP or CD, stock photos but not images of an actual item used etc. For example, big commercial sellers like estocks provide info based on EAN or barcode. In most cases there is no actual image of an item at all. In the case of old London CDs of the Rolling Stones you can not be sure what particular edition you will get. It could be anything from first German pressing to late French reissue - those editions share the same barcode. You have to work closely with the sellers if you are targeting a particular disc or edition. But this does not work with commercial sellers like estocks or recordsale.de, only with individuals. Sooner or later you will figure out names of reliable sellers.

Bidding tricks are different story. You have to learn yourself. These days a lot of guys are using ebay auction snipers - an application that allow you to bid last second remotely. That is a very useful tool but kind of nasty with respect to other bidders who work old fashion way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home