Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Off Topic Question- Recording shows
Posted by: pats ()
Date: November 8, 2010 17:12

I have a question for anyone here on the boards who has recorded shows. I have myself recorded many shows over the past 6-7 years. I have never attempted to get my mini-disc recorder into an arena sized venue that uses full body metal detectors. (Similar to the ones at airports that you walk through.)

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to get a recorder through a full body metal detector ?

Does anyone know what happens if it is discovered by security going into a show ? Would they simply ask you to return it to your car, or would they try to confiscate it ?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Re: Off Topic Question- Recording shows
Posted by: marko ()
Date: November 8, 2010 17:40

I have used minidisc recorded,with Sony microphone,if you want to hear my result.Donwload Hershey-05 and Helsinki-07.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: November 8, 2010 21:11

After 9/11 I went to Detroit with a friend of mine to see Bob Dylan. My friend was taping with a DAT. They had metal detectors. He failed the metal detector 3 times and eventually used the "I have a metal plate in my leg" line. Then he got in. If they discover a recorder they will not allow you in with it. If they catch you with one during the show, they will take the tape, not the recorder.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 8, 2010 22:27

I have a Iphone, and downloaded the italk recorder for it. Reasonable mp3 quality , and they don't say no to phones. Also you could consider one of the small usb recorders too.

Posted by: pats ()
Date: November 8, 2010 22:56

I have a minidisc recorder already, and I am not really looking for a new method to record shows. I also don't think I will get caught with it once it is in the arena. (That has never been a problem for me.) But I am simly concerned about how to get it through the metal detector.

Will it set it off or not ?

I have read a few internet postings that seem to say a minidisc recorder doesn't have enough metal to set it off. I am not sure if that is really true.

Thanks everyone

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: November 9, 2010 01:17

This is how I taped the Stones in Melbourne 2003.

I emptied out my (well used) wallet except for a couple of cards & some loose change, I then put the minidisc into the wallet, zipped that section up, you could use a bit of gaffer (cloth) tape. If they catch the metal in the wallet, hold (& partially hide) the minidisc part in one hand while you open up & jingle the loose change section with the other

If you have a small external microphone, make sure you have a large set of keys as well. You will 'palm' the mic in the same hand you're holding the keys if they ask you to take them out of your pocket, common magicians trick to obviously show something while you're concealing something else in your partially closed fist.

Make sure your pockets are loose enough to take out your wallet & keys easily, a loose-fitting jacket is good

I did a bit of amateur magic as a kid where I learned about miss-directing, focus attention on one thing in order to keep the focus away from something else.

Oh yes, it has to be done completely naturally, no shades, pink hair or tatts, make yourself look as normal as possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home