Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Technical advice...Nero 6
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 2, 2010 03:35

I've been running Nero 6 Ultra happily for a few months now, last night I downloaded a free WMA converter (which I've had before with no problems), anyway immediately after installing the converter I went to burn a disc on Nero and got the following message..."this program requires the file advrcntr2.dll which was not found on this system"......this is the first time I've had this message...I tried uninstalling Nero and then re-installing but that didn't work...also I googled 'advrcntr2.dll' to try and find some guidance but got freaked out because there were warnings about dll downloads containing virus', so backed out of there, I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this and maybe has a solution, any help much appreciated, thanks EddieByword

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-02 04:39 by EddieByword.

Re: Technical advice...Nero 6
Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: November 2, 2010 06:34

If your using Nero, then what you need is a two-pronged approach, as follows:

1. Get rid of Nero.
2. Get something else to replace it with.

Seriously though, I've had similar problems, not with Nero, but with DLL's. For some reason, one thing you do, like install a new program, can somehow mess up another thing, and often that thing is a messed up DLL. Whatever the hell they are.

I've run into the same thing as you after googling for info, and almost always see multiple warnings about DLL's and viruses. Many times I've just gone ahead and downloaded the DLL anyways, and never gotten a virus that way. Your mileage may vary of course, but I doubt it.

You can do one of two things. You can either download the missing DLL and install it yourself, or you can go to the forum I have a link to below, and follow the directions for a more thorough uninstall/cleaning/re-install. If you want to go the DLL route, you can get it from here:

[www.dlldll.com]

It's in a zip file, just unzip it and place it in this folder, which is the Nero folder:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/ Ahead/ Lib

In case you don't know, Ahead was the name of the company that makes Nero. They have since changed their name to Nero AG, so the name of the folder may be Nero AG, or Nero, or something similar. I imagine there is still a Lib folder, which I'm guessing is short for Library? Either way, just drop the unzipped DLL into this Lib folder, and you should be good to go. I don't have Nero, but I downloaded the DLL and scanned it with AVG and Malwarebytes twice, both before and after zipping, and it was clean. You should be fine using this, and you can always run a scan of your computer after doing so if you have any concerns about viruses.

As I said, I've done this with a few DLL's and never had a problem. However, DLL's can be used maliciously, so if you are not comfortable with the above method, I found this forum which deals with your exact same problem:

[forums.afterdawn.com]

Read through the whole thing. Some people did what I said to do, which is to download the DLL and place it in the proper folder yourself, and it worked fine for them. Others still had trouble, and some did not trust downloading a DLL, so they found a more thorough and safe way of uninstalling and re-installing Nero, and using a cleaning program you can get from the Nero website. Again, read through the whole page until you get to the parts that help you. I just scanned through it quickly, but there appear to be instructions and links for everything you need for both my way, and the more thorough way.

Please note that the thread is from 2007, but some of the posters were using Nero 6, and it's the same problem you have, so unless the links are dead, it should still help you.

Hope your able to solve your problem.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: November 2, 2010 09:45

bustedtrousers

1. Get rid of Nero.

What do you recommend for that "something else"?

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: November 2, 2010 13:23

ashampoo burning studio

Date: November 2, 2010 14:02

bustedtrousers

1. Get rid of Nero.

Seriously though, I've had similar problems, not with Nero, but with DLL's. For some reason, one thing you do, like install a new program, can somehow mess up another thing, and often that thing is a messed up DLL. Whatever the hell they are.

I've run into the same thing as you after googling for info, and almost always see multiple warnings about DLL's and viruses. Many times I've just gone ahead and downloaded the DLL anyways, and never gotten a virus that way. Your mileage may vary of course, but I doubt it.

You can do one of two things. You can either download the missing DLL and install it yourself, or you can go to the forum I have a link to below, and follow the directions for a more thorough uninstall/cleaning/re-install. If you want to go the DLL route, you can get it from here:

[www.dlldll.com]

It's in a zip file, just unzip it and place it in this folder, which is the Nero folder:

In case you don't know, Ahead was the name of the company that makes Nero. They have since changed their name to Nero AG, so the name of the folder may be Nero AG, or Nero, or something similar. I imagine there is still a Lib folder, which I'm guessing is short for Library? Either way, just drop the unzipped DLL into this Lib folder, and you should be good to go. I don't have Nero, but I downloaded the DLL and scanned it with AVG and Malwarebytes twice, both before and after zipping, and it was clean. You should be fine using this, and you can always run a scan of your computer after doing so if you have any concerns about viruses.

As I said, I've done this with a few DLL's and never had a problem. However, DLL's can be used maliciously, so if you are not comfortable with the above method, I found this forum which deals with your exact same problem:

[forums.afterdawn.com]

Read through the whole thing. Some people did what I said to do, which is to download the DLL and place it in the proper folder yourself, and it worked fine for them. Others still had trouble, and some did not trust downloading a DLL, so they found a more thorough and safe way of uninstalling and re-installing Nero, and using a cleaning program you can get from the Nero website. Again, read through the whole page until you get to the parts that help you. I just scanned through it quickly, but there appear to be instructions and links for everything you need for both my way, and the more thorough way.

Please note that the thread is from 2007, but some of the posters were using Nero 6, and it's the same problem you have, so unless the links are dead, it should still help you.

Cheers Busted, I shall try it tonight and let you know how I get on, thanks a lot, Eddie

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: November 2, 2010 19:48

I use Nero 6 and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It was the last version before it became bloated with crap that is superfluous.

I don't have the file advrcntr2.dll on my hard drive, but I do have advrcntr.dll.

I would guess that you have either re-installed Nero or some other programme that has the file advrcntr.dll and it has messed about with the name, seeing there is already one copy there.

Then when Nero has gone to find the file, it is not there because it has been deleted or renamed by the other installation.

If you email me I can send you the original file.

Date: November 3, 2010 09:01

midnrambler
bustedtrousers

1. Get rid of Nero.

What do you recommend for that "something else"?

It was meant as a joke, obviously. Nero's fine, I used to use it, and I suppose it's still ok, but I've read it's become bloatware. Like Stretton says above, now it's supposedly loaded with unnecessary, resource-hogging crap. Which is why I made the joke about it.

Date: November 3, 2010 09:03

EddieByword
bustedtrousers

1. Get rid of Nero.

[www.dlldll.com]

[forums.afterdawn.com]

Cheers Busted, I shall try it tonight and let you know how I get on, thanks a lot, Eddie

Please do Eddie, I'd like to know how it turns out.

Date: November 7, 2010 13:12

bustedtrousers
EddieByword
bustedtrousers

1. Get rid of Nero.

[www.dlldll.com]

[forums.afterdawn.com]

Please do Eddie, I'd like to know how it turns out.
Hi Busted, just to let you know what happened, first I tried Afterdawn website - this was informative but as you feared the links were dead. Then Strettonbull kindly sent me a Nero cleantool by email....this worked in that the advrcntr.dll was restored to the lib folder but what I've found since then is that the Nero startsmart desktop shortcut doesn't work, I can use Nero by starting it up via All programs - nero - nero 6 - nero express but not via the shortcut. I've just found a Nero troubleshooting website so will be checking this out later, also a friend of mine is a lot more knowledgable than me and will be talking to him later too; Thanks for your help Busted, as I said even though the links were dead the forum was informative and it's always good to know that others have had the same problem and found solutions, Cheers, Eddie

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: November 8, 2010 12:39

If you can now start Nero Express via All Programs, then just create a new short cut.

Date: November 8, 2010 14:44

strettonbull
If you can now start Nero Express via All Programs, then just create a new short cut.
Thanks for that Chris - nope , I deleted the Nerostartsmart icon , went into Nero via All programs, created a shortcut, a new icon appeared but that didn't work either. I went to the Nero trouble shooting site; (it described my exact problem) it said there was a problem in the registry, follow these instructions to put it right;

1. Click start, then click run.

2. In the OPEN box type regedt32 and then click OK.

3.Browse to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ahead

Sounds simple but after I clicked OK in step 2 the OPEN box just disappeared and nothing else took its place for me to implement step 3 ?.......Thanks anyway, Mike

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 8, 2010 22:24

Hello!

I don't know much of this computerstuff, but here's a tool I got from a friend some time ago; I had a pc crash, and after I had reinstalled Nero it rejected to burn nearly every file, but no longer after I had installed this:

[www.sendspace.com]

Date: November 9, 2010 00:05

Rank Stranger
Hello!

I don't know much of this computerstuff, but here's a tool I got from a friend some time ago; I had a pc crash, and after I had reinstalled Nero it rejected to burn nearly every file, but no longer after I had installed this:

[www.sendspace.com]
Hello Rank stranger, thanks for the tip but my burner is working OK when I access Nero through ALL PROGRAMS, it's just I can't get the desktop shortcut to work, I've been told it's to do with 'permissions' (or lack of permission) in the registry but I can't get in there to change the settings....all a bit of a mystery at the moment....thanks anyway, EddieByword

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home