Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
HELP: ID this live Satisfaction video snippet (rare?)
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: May 8, 2011 03:28

The attached video snippet (far too short to be called a 'clip') had been a mystery to me for nearly 20 years. Here is the backstory, description, and my theory as to what it actually is.

Where it came from:
As many of us can recall from VHS collecting/trading days, there were frequently/usually rough cuts between various clips assembled on a 2-hour videotape. You'd usually end up seeing the first one or two seconds of some other clip before the real clip you wanted on your tape started (part of the whole editing process using two VCRs and the not-so-precise pause/start/record process).

The attached 21 seconds is one of these such 'in between portions' from a VHS I got in the early 90s. I believe this is from the end of my Sandy Cannon "@#$%& Blues," which was filled out with a few extra clips at the end of it. At some point I noticed the audio of Satisfaction and went through the process of pausing, slowing down the tape to actually see what performance it was. I've never been able to identify it, nor do I believe I have ever seen it, owned it, or know of it circulating anywhere. I have a pretty extensive video collection -- or, at least I did in VHS days. There is, of course, the chance that I actually do have this somewhere, but even now looking at it again, it doesn't ring any bells and is stumping me.

Description:
The snippet it 21 seconds long, but only a few seconds of it are this mystery performance. Here is a description of what you will see:

:00 - :10 paused then playing end of "Gimme Shelter" from TOTP 1969
(and the audio to studio "Love In Vain starting, which is a curiosity to me too...)

:10 - :14 static and brief play of Knebworth 76, more static

:15 - :17 audio/video of live Satisfaction. It's glitchy throughout but the picture does clear briefly in the middle if you slow it down. It remains in B/W.

:17 - :21 credits from Marquee 71 video.

Yes, it's only 2 - 3 seconds, but what you see and hear are this:

1. It's the Satisfaction riff, and Jagger gives a "hey." The audio is also in synch with the action.
2. The image is REVERSED. Keith is playing left-handed.
3. Keith is in a long-sleeved light colored shirt, playing his black Gibson through Ampeg stacks.
4. Jagger is wearing white/light pants, a light/white shirt which is completely unbuttoned and a thick dark-colored belt. The lights seem to reflect off of his clothes.

THEORIES

All of the above details would place this performance somewhere in the late 60s, early 70s.
The guitar sound, style of play, and amps tell me it's either 69 or 70.
Jagger's clothing eliminate this being from the Gimme Shelter film.

They didn't play Satisfaction in Europe in 1970.

All of the clips surrounding this snippet (TOTP, Knebworth, Marquee) are from U.K. broadcasts/origins so it is more likely that this clip had non-U.S. origins as well.

Is this from one of the December 1969 Lyceum shows?
My understanding of the 'Supernight Of Rock N Roll" footage is that it's taken from the circulating 3-song reel shot from above where Jagger is wearing black. no?

I have absolutely no explanation as to why the image is reversed.

Years ago I thought it could be the long lost 68 Pollwinners, but Jagger was wearing dark/black pants at that performance.

I took some stills from it as well, but can't post attachments here.

Any help appreciated.

Here is a link to the vid snippet:

[www.megaupload.com]

J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-08 03:37 by JMARKO.

Re: HELP: ID this live Satisfaction video snippet (rare?)
Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: May 8, 2011 09:30

chicking it now..and i did a repeat of this in nero 10..

the dress seems from 1970...maby it's overdubbed audio ?

if you want it i can post my remake of this ?

Date: May 8, 2011 11:20

only this part in 16 sec ,i'm ready ..

should i post it ?

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: May 8, 2011 11:51

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-21 15:45 by straycat58.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 8, 2011 11:54

At first I thought that it came from Newcastle 1971, but Jagger's shirt doesn't match......not for their 1st show in Newcastle anyway. Maybe it's news-footage from a different 1971 show? Or maybe it's from 1970. Interesting clip anyway, makes us wonder what else is out there....or "in there".

BTW, I think the audio is overdubbed though - doesn't sound like 1971 to me. The fuzz-guitar sound like a mid 60s version - either from a TV show (live vocals - playback music) or a 60s concert. That "yeah" from Jagger should be an easy fingerprint if comparing with 60s audio.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-08 12:06 by Erik_Snow.

Date: May 8, 2011 13:31

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-21 15:45 by straycat58.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 8, 2011 15:46

Audio could be 'Ready Steady Go' Sep 2 1965, DAC Animal Duds, CD2 track 16, 2nd or 3rd 'Hey Hey Hey'

Date: May 8, 2011 19:04

vancouver
only this part in 16 sec ,i'm ready ..

should i post it ?

Of course you should/can post it.

Any help is always appreciated.

My clip is that long because I wanted to insure that my DVD recorder captured it without blacking out because of the fuzzy picture.

J

Date: May 8, 2011 19:14

Erik_Snow
BTW, I think the audio is overdubbed though - doesn't sound like 1971 to me. The fuzz-guitar sound like a mid 60s version - either from a TV show (live vocals - playback music) or a 60s concert. That "yeah" from Jagger should be an easy fingerprint if comparing with 60s audio.

If the audio is overdubbed it sounds, to me, like it's Satisfaction from Gimme Shelter. And that audio would match with a 69 show. Didn't Jagger wear mostly white in Ft. Collins in 69?

Even though it's only two seconds, I still think the drumming, guitar and Mick's movements synch up with the audio.

I'm amazed this hasn't shown up anywhere else.

J

Date: May 8, 2011 19:31

[www.sendspace.com]

the mystery part only & uppgrade of the sound

Date: May 8, 2011 19:37

vancouver
[www.sendspace.com]

the mystery part only & uppgrade of the sound

Thanks for doing this it helps a lot. The repeating gives a chance to really look at it. I'm already questioning whether the audio is actually dubbed now.

Any way to 'flip' the image so it's not reversed. I know that is a complicated thing to do to video, if possible at all.

J

Date: May 8, 2011 19:44

straycat58
...this thread explicitly shows how sick we are.
winking smiley

no we are arkeologist

Date: May 8, 2011 19:45

If the sounds is indeed overdubbed, could it be from this:

700925A 25th September: French TV (ORTF), incl.
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -Paris 24.9.70, part only
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -Paris 24.9.70, part only

(From Nico's Complete Works site)

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: May 9, 2011 01:10

Ok, here's my theory: it's from the 1970 European tour. Jagger's suit is pink, not white (not that you can tell from the clip, of course) and the audio is overdubbed. I think I might have more of this on a compilation of super 8 footage I got in a trade a few years ago. From memory, it's about 20 minutes long. I'll try and dig it out and check later on.....

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 9, 2011 02:18

There are no Hey Hey Hey's in Satisfaction from Gimme Shelter

Date: May 9, 2011 04:13

vox12string
There are no Hey Hey Hey's in Satisfaction from Gimme Shelter

I was hearing it as more of just a "hey" from him getting into it, not from the lyrics.

The other reason I'm leaning toward it being overdubbed is that Jagger does not appear to be near a microphone or mic stand.

As for the 1970 super 8 footage, it doesn't look like that to me. It's seems farther away and has a pretty smooth pullback, doesn't seem handheld. And the movement appears smoother to me than super 8 footage too. Not really jumpy or stilted. The lighting seems to stay consistent, where the super 8 transfers have a sort of 'pulse' to their brightness and the edges usually aren't still/firm.They generally blurr at the edges.

Then again, I haven't rewatched my 1970 super 8 stuff in a while. But this seems pro shot, just from that bad clip, to me. Super 8 could explain how it could get reversed too (which also may make it unfamiliar to most because they don't recall the image being set up that way).

But I agree, I think it's 1970 too. I want to say you can get a hint of his neckwear, but could be a shadow.

I really wish someone knew how to reverse the image.

Date: May 9, 2011 10:14

in nero 10 you can take a pic from the movie ,,

Date: May 9, 2011 11:03

Im comparing with the pictures included in the book-mag received from Jean Marie and I'm more convinced it is 1971. Most of the 70 shows, Mick wore a black shirt while in the pictures of Brighton and Coventry 71 he has white with black belt and necklace.
Satisfaction was also in the setlist.

Date: May 9, 2011 11:30

straycat58
Im comparing with the pictures included in the book-mag received from Jean Marie and I'm more convinced it is 1971. Most of the 70 shows, Mick wore a black shirt while in the pictures of Brighton and Coventry 71 he has white with black belt and necklace.
Satisfaction was also in the setlist.

I immediately thought 1971 as well, and yes there's some photos of 1971 quite matching the footage posted.

Concerning Keith's guitar; it was used in 1970 as well as 1971, and also at Lyceum Theatre 1969
Then again, the clothing doesn't match Lyceum Theatre - but then again, there were 2 shows, and I'm not sure if I've seen photos of both of them

Date: May 9, 2011 11:30

straycat58
...this thread explicitly shows how sick we are.

grinning smiley

Date: May 9, 2011 11:51

BTW the footage doesn't match anything listed at this site, either:
[www.beatlesondvd.com]
- so I doubt that it is Paris, as suggested by JMarko

Date: May 9, 2011 12:28

Just made the "tell me" readers avare of this thread. Hope somebody will chime in.

Date: May 9, 2011 12:30

Could somebody with proper software please post some stills of this footage?
I'm not able to do so myself.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 9, 2011 14:46

Here you go me old friend Erik can not make more of it, b.t.w. great post...........

Date: May 9, 2011 15:39

Great - thanks Nicos !

Date: May 9, 2011 17:12

I compared with Paris 70 on INA France and it's not the same show. Of course it could also be one of the other two.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 9, 2011 19:26

But are they playing Satisfaction at all? It sounds like Roll Over Beethoven to me. I had this fragment and a newsreel with 30 seconds more on an old VHS tape, and that was labeled as Berlin 1970.

Mathijs

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: May 9, 2011 19:45

I think the track is "street fighting man " , taken from one of the PARIS 1970
shows.

See the thread of ina.fr herespinning smiley sticking its tongue out under

[www.ina.fr]

Hilario

Date: May 9, 2011 19:48

It's not the Berlin 70 vdo, Keith has different clothes

Date: May 10, 2011 00:06

keith56
I think the track is "street fighting man " , taken from one of the PARIS 1970
shows.

See the thread of ina.fr herespinning smiley sticking its tongue out under

[www.ina.fr]

Hilario

It looks _nearly_ like it, but:

1. the same camera angle doesn't seem to show up
2. Keith has his outer shirt still on
3. Jagger still has his black shirt on and jacket is off.

But THANKS for posting this link.

J

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home