Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Replacing a DVD/CD Burner
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 11, 2010 15:16

My internal DVD/CD Burner laser stopped writing to media the other day so I have to replace it. I currently have a Dell system with Vista Home Premium and came with a Philips 8881 combo burner.

New Egg has the best prices but anyone have any brand recommendations? Sony, Samsung, Plextor, LG, Lite On etc...

I'm thinking of getting a Sony 7241S-OB LightScribe OEM (which means no software or cables). I believe it is compatable with Vista as it is compatable with Windows 7. I hope. Sony also makes a 7240S-OB OEM without LightScribe functions. Hoping Vista will recognize the unit without having to download any drivers.

Any ideas or advice? Thanks for any input.

Re: Replacing a DVD/CD Burner
Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: March 11, 2010 19:31

I'd say it's pretty much a crap shoot. How can anyone know how long one will last? Personally I'm now using a Memorex brand, believe it or not, and I have no complaints. Nowadays they're probably all the same except for the name on the box.

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: March 11, 2010 21:26

I think they are all pretty much the same. At least they are so cheap now they are almost disposable.

Posted by: pancho1111 ()
Date: March 12, 2010 05:34

...Sony, Samsung, Plextor, LG, Lite On...

some of the brands you mention are not drives mechanisms manufacturers, only assemblers, i know Sony and Phillips are real drive manufacturers, Sony a bit more famous in this corner of the world, where the wind blow from the pampas.

BTW Sicilia was part of the kingdom of the Two Calabrias, my blood coming from Catanzaro.. Cheers !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-12 05:37 by pancho1111.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: March 12, 2010 07:26

Had a LiteOn for about 6 years. Worked fine till it died.

I usually start electronics searches here: [www.consumersearch.com]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 12, 2010 23:47

When you read reviews at NewEgg (and there are plenty of them) you get some great and some dreadful ones as well.

The biggest problem seems to be compatibility with your operating system such as Windows 7, Vista, XP.

That is my biggest concern, price is no problem they all run between $25 and $35.

Since tech support is non existant you sometimes have to wait until you install the drive to find out if your system will recognize it and if not hope that a driver is available for your system (Vista for me)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home