Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RocksOff - Still trying to sell free downloads...
Posted by: drake ()
Date: January 29, 2007 23:28

Is anyone else sick of this crap?

[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]

RocksOff has already been booted from Shidoobee for trying to sell stuff he gets for free online. He's not selling limited edition silver pressings or anything worthwhile, he's selling boots he downloaded for free. JohnnyBMoto, whatever other screennames he has... I'm sick of this crap. Worse yet, anyone who gets discs from him is probably getting transcoded mp3s burned onto cd.

Just wanted everyone to get the warning.

-Drake

Re: RocksOff - Still trying to sell free downloads...
Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: January 30, 2007 00:27

Double Pathetic

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 30, 2007 01:38

Thanks for the heads-up, Drake, even though I wouldn't pay for a fokin copy anyhow.
I missed those threads in your links,
what an assh0le, I hope nobody has paid him anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-30 01:40 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: brent72 ()
Date: January 30, 2007 03:56

He's a little scumbag!!!

Posted by: JoeHill ()
Date: January 30, 2007 06:46

I concur...same damn crap...

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 31, 2007 00:08

Hey ...........he's a Boot-legger! Waddaya expect!?! Morals? Quality? Reliability? Honesty? Responsibility? Guarantees? Royalty Checks? The man's just trying to make a dis-honest buck. The Bootleggers Code : Nothin's un-ethical or illegal until you get busted!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 31, 2007 00:16

He's not a bootleger, he's a MP3-seller

Posted by: DirtyWorks ()
Date: January 31, 2007 00:30

he's not bootlegger...he does not own a label...

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 31, 2007 00:33

so...uh... where are these "Laws of Bootlegging" written so that I might read them and educate myself?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 31, 2007 01:46

Duane in Houston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so...uh... where are these "Laws of Bootlegging"
> written so that I might read them and educate
> myself?

Duane, ever the champion of unfettered capitalism. No restraints, no conscience, and definitely no apologies.

In this fashion, he's right -- there's a sucker born every minute, and money-grubbers will take advantage of them. The bootleg world obeys only the law of the jungle.

This is the real world. Here, we share freely, which I believe is wonderful, but don't expect the b*stards to follow our lead.

Posted by: brent72 ()
Date: January 31, 2007 02:10

Looks like the little bastard has run for cover as he's not been posting here the past couple of days. I'm sure he'll come back under a different name, though. I just hope nobody sends him any money!

Date: January 31, 2007 02:17

I have no problem with anyone selling boots as long as its an original silver of vinyl pressing. I do, however, have a massive problem with someone selling boots which are being made freely available. Good 'ol Johnny asked for free boots on Shidoobee to start his collection... happens all the time. Most people will gladly hook you up and get you started in the world of trading and treeing (and this is as good a place as any to start building a collection of good flacs/mp3s)... Johnny/RocksOff! received a good bit of free cds and dvds and then turned around and sold them on ebay. Many of us reported those auctions. Then he posted here on Hot Stuff and offered them for sale. The exact boots he was given for free immediately went for sale on here.

Ethics and bootlegging don't have to clash. They walk hand in hand when its all about the music. This kid is just trying to make a buck.

-Drake

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 31, 2007 03:44

The things to me is.....why would anyone buy a boot anyway?

I mean unless you are a "true" collector or a "get a lifer" as my wife calls me,just ask someone on this board and you'll probably get what you want for free.

It sort of seems crazy but I guess if people will buy it then someone will sell it....right?

Posted by: KWhinos ()
Date: January 31, 2007 06:02

brent72 Wrote:
> Looks like the little bastard has run for cover as
> he's not been posting here the past couple of
> days. I'm sure he'll come back under a different
> name, though. I just hope nobody sends him any
> money!

I think hes back, Under the name zoso, from the way he types you can see the similarities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-31 06:17 by KWhinos.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 31, 2007 07:20

!@!#$% % I just posted a track for him.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 31, 2007 10:18

vox12string Wrote:
> !@!#$% % I just posted a track for him.

C'mon, man. You would post stuff for a person with a hidden e-mail?

Posted by: Habemi ()
Date: January 31, 2007 11:30

I am new to the club,

But I must say that it is a bad thing selling stuff you can download and share for nope!

My opinion?

It sucks when people make money out of this!
Let's just watch his way around.....

Sincerely,
Habemi

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 31, 2007 11:38

bassplayer617 Wrote:
> vox12string Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > !@!#$% % I just posted a track for him.
>
> C'mon, man. You would post stuff for a person with
> a hidden e-mail?

Yes I would, there are folks here who have proved themselves completely trustworthy & willing to help but who keep their e-mail hidden, & I have no problem with their wish for privacy.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 31, 2007 16:52

>> JohnnyBMoto, whatever other screennames he has <<

not that it matters much, but why are people convinced that RocksOff/DougMexico13/etc is the same entity
as JohnnyBMoto/WonderofWembley/etc? sorry if i'm missing something obvious
but it seems to me like more than one person in the world could think it's clever
to sell stuff s/he's downloaded and keep changing screen names ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-31 18:03 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 31, 2007 17:10

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> JohnnyBMoto, whatever other screennames he has
> <<
>
> not that it matters much, but why are people
> convinced that RocksOff/DougMexico13/etc cis the
> same entity
> as JohnnyBMoto/WonderofWembley/etc? sorry if i'm
> missing something obvious
> but it seems to me like more than one person in
> the world could think it's clever
> to sell stuff s/he's downloaded and keep changing
> screen names ...

......that's a good point but I'm sure people have their reasons for thinking he's the same person.......also, if he's not the same person, why doesn't he post something defending himself or telling us that it's not the same person?

Date: January 31, 2007 18:06

>> why doesn't he post something defending himself or telling us that it's not the same person? <<

he did, at least on Shidoobee. but being a different person isn't much of a "defense"
since the problem is not so much who he is, but what he's doing.

>> I'm sure people have their reasons for thinking he's the same person <<

yeah, that's why i'm asking what the reasons are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-31 18:31 by with sssoul.

Date: January 31, 2007 18:42

The only reason anyone (including myself) continues to believe RocksOff! Is the same person as JohnnyBMoto, etc... is because of the way he talks. "I'm a new guy from Mexico 12 years old almost 13." "I'm 15 years old and a big Rolling Stones fan." There's little things everywhere. Also, the fact that was called out on this earlier on this same screenname. As RocksOff he tried to sell and then said he had learned his lesson, then did it again not a few days later. Johnny did the same exact thing and only removed his posts from Tell Me (the one where he was blatantly offering the exact same recordings he got from EIMedina) when he was called out on it.

Also, I wrote him an email a while back basically saying, "Stop trying to sell boots you are given for free. We're all sick of this sh1t." He then replied that he was sorry, blah blah blah (notice he didn't change his tune one bit, he's always sorry, then does it again). In some banter he sent me his trade list, which contained all the recordings EIM sent him and many others which were posted on here.

When its Larry on RS.com its very obvious. Larry posts in the political forums, posts here n there in other spots and generally lays low til the weekend when he blows up and wrecks havoc on every forum.

When its JohnnyBMoto he always tells us how old he is, that he doesn't have anything to trade OR doesn't have a CD burner, and then offers stuff for sale. Seriously, what 12/13 year old has a paypal account of his own? No doubt it was setup using his parents permission, but WHY would a 12/13 year old have a paypal account? The answer = EBAY. Paypal exists because of ebay. Johnny always apologizes for trying to make a buck off what others give him for free, and then finds another way to do it...

-Drake

Date: January 31, 2007 18:58

thanks for explaining, Drake. i do see some similarities in the modus operandi, of course,
as well as some differences ... i also wonder how he would maintain the appearance of being in Mexico
if in fact he's in Washington - seems like his location would emerge if he was actually mailing disks or trading.
anyway it doesn't really matter that much if it's the same person or not - either way it's a creepy drag.

>> When its Larry on RS.com its very obvious <<

... are you saying "Larry on rs.com" is also this same person, or just mentioning him as a similar phenomenon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-31 21:51 by with sssoul.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 31, 2007 20:03

Email BV and have him banned from this board, then. Besides, anybody dumb enough to buy what are transparently free downloads deserves what he gets.

Date: January 31, 2007 21:15

I "reported" one of his messages and wrote a note to BV. Honestly I hate bothering the guy with petty stuff like this. We can kindof police ourselves for the most part. I just wanted everyone to get the warning.

with ssssssssoul (I still owe you for the awesome package you sent me a while back =)) no, this is NOT Larry. Just mentioning a similar phenomenon. IE: people with multiple identities who are incapable of hiding their real personalities.

-Drake

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: February 1, 2007 02:33

withsssoul wrote: i also wonder how he would maintain the appearance of being in Mexico if in fact he's in Washington - seems like his location would emerge if he was actually mailing disks or trading

Drake has mentioned some of the reasons we've noted, and there are more. But if I post them then he'll know what tips us off.

Has anyone actually sent or received anything to/from him in Mexico?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 1, 2007 03:46

i have never bought from RocksOff and but i have bought bootlegs before. this is the first time i'm posting in this forum because i don't download music. i don't have a CD burner so maybe if i sucessfully downloaded it, i wouldn't know what to do with it (my only computer is a laptop so it doesn't seem worth it). even if i did have a burner, it seems like a labor intensive process - downloading one song at a time, downloading artwork. although i don't hire people to clean my house, i do consider hiring people to do other jobs for me. but i wouldn't pay $20/CD - that's more expensive than the record stores where i've found boots.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: February 1, 2007 03:48

the guy actually sent me an email today with a link to a show.......Gothenburg 6/19/82........I didn't check the link but he said it was for edopao......

Date: February 1, 2007 13:11

LQ, i agree with what (i think!) you're implying:
i don't have the technology to download much, or to partake of torrents, so i rely on trades or B&P,
and if someone suggested it would be simpler if i sent them $5 instead of blanks
in exchange for burning/sending me a disk, i wouldn't see much to object to.
but trying to get $15 - $20 for something you've gotten for free is pretty crappy,
and pretending to be someone you're not in order to take advantage of people's generosity
is even worse.

Date: February 2, 2007 03:53

Exactly. I've done that a few times this tour. I'd put a recording on the torrent trackers and a few people would email me and say "I don't have anything to trade and I'm not tech-savy, can I just send you something for the recording?" To which I always replied, "Whatever you feel comfortable sending is cool by me."

Its all about the music.

-Drake

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home