Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Box set "Blues By Blues" - question about content
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: July 5, 2009 20:23

Could someone please tell me what exactly is on the 10 CD + 2 DVD box set "Blues By Blues"?

I know the following, but can someone please give more details, what's on the CDs? Official tracks? Outtakes? Live? Or something else?

CD 1: The Early Sixties
CD 2: The Mid & Late Sixties
CD 3: The Early & Mid Seventies
CD 4: The Late Seventies
CD 5: The Eighties
CD 6: The Nineties
CD 7: The First Decade Of The New Century
CD 8: Songs That Appear Live Or As Outtakes
CD 9: Mick Jagger’s Blues Experience
CD 10: Sidesteps & Members
DVD 1: A Blues & Rhythm And Blues Documentary
DVD 2: Copy of Father & Sons - Muddy Waters & The Rolling Stones

Many thanks.

Re: Box set "Blues By Blues" - question about content
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: July 5, 2009 21:45

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-18 21:23 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 5, 2009 22:04

Thanks for the information!
Basically, just another bootleg compilation...

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: July 5, 2009 23:23

Thank you, UrbanSteel!

Posted by: rainhog ()
Date: July 6, 2009 02:00

So,how does one obtain the BLUES BY BLUES box set?.....disc 7 looks really good!smiling smiley

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: July 6, 2009 13:55

rainhog
So,how does one obtain the BLUES BY BLUES box set?.....disc 7 looks really good!smiling smiley

I have a copy for sale.
gimme_shelter@wish.nl

Posted by: elmod ()
Date: July 7, 2009 20:44

www.hotwacks.com :

This new box set from Wonder Land Records presents again the Stones with an extensive collection focused on the band s blues sides. The Stones story is one of the band that brought the blues to the attention of English and even US young fans so there is much to dig in here, especially for lovers of the genre. This collection starts with disc one that begins with "Stoned" a bluesy instrumental presented in its official shape, followed by the IBC demos (bass boosted here) and this is more or less the format for the other discs as well: official stuff and unreleased (mostly known) takes coupled with common blues roots. Disc 3 does contain the far inferior live version of "Ventilator Blues" instead of the studio rehearsal take from Ft.Worth as claimed on cover and the version from Black & Blue of "Melody". Disc 4 has many tracks from the RCA 78 sessions together with the blues takes recorded by Jagger with the Red Devils, particularly tasty the inclusion of three Jimmy Reed songs one after the other, sung by Jagger, Richards and Jagger again respectively. On Disc 5 there is a remarkable outtake of "Cook Cook Blues" with both Wood and Richards that play fiery solos and lots of jams from the Paris 82 and 85 sessions. Some songs are not blues at all, like "Blue" one of the most underrated gems of Jagger’s solo production and "Hurricane" a slow ballad from Keith Richards that was given away to donors of the Red Cross relief from Katrina Hurricane in 2005, both on Disc 7. On Disc 8 apart from a great stereo version of "I Can't Be Satisfied" there is a good amount of songs hardly different from the official releases, while Disc 9 is a CD 90 that lasts, however, just 43 seconds over the 80 minutes landmark and holds Jagger late blues adventures, from the 1992 shows in London through the Red Devils and other solo stuff, although the first take is certainly not Jagger singing. The last audio disc features known official collaborations between members of the band and veteran bluesmen like the late Jimmy Rogers, BB King together with Muddy Waters Checkerboard Lounge 81 jams and some solo material of which the most interesting is probably the HOT FM Radio session with Mick Taylor's "Train Station Blues" an unreleased blues piece from 2000. All unofficial tracks have been worked so that they are on the same audio level of the official songs (more or less) giving a sense of unity to this collection. Most of the Stones fans have all these songs, it is however a crime that takes like "Stewed and Keefed" or the live broadcast of "Cops and Robbers" have never officially been released and therefore it is on works like these that the new fans have to rely upon while the band keeps on re-releasing their official catalogue without any outtake, so I guess blaming Allen Klein for lack of 60s outtakes is out of question here. The 2 DVDs are quite different,as the first is a short version of the massive All You Need Is Love, Tony Palmer story of popular music that has been officially released on a 5 DVDs set last year, here is a TV broadcast version that has nothing to do with the Stones, in fact the only link, a Mick Jagger interview is not here! The second DVD is the famous Checkerboard Lounge jam between the Stones, Buddy Guy & Junior Wells, Lefty Dizz and Muddy Waters. Footage is here in a better than expected quality that allows the chance to enjoy a truly remarkable get together; while waiting that one day it will come out officially, this is the best looking version of this historical jam. There are two versions of some songs with different camera angles in excellent quality and despite some glitches at the end make this release a nice one to get.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 7, 2009 20:56

I bought the box set. It´s really a wonderful item for collectors. The box is a professional work. The cds 4 and 7 are my favorites. The artwork is amazing, too.

I recommend this item for collectors and hard core fans. Normal fans maybe don´t enjoy the box but if you are a collector the box is gold!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 20:58 by carlostones10.

Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: July 17, 2009 12:48

Hi,

Very interesting box set, I tried to find out where to by it but I have no clue.
A website of Wonderland records is vage, can't find it.

Anybody has a suggestion? Carosstones 10 or Jos?

Sincerely,

UW

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: July 17, 2009 13:02

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-18 21:23 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 19, 2009 02:58

Jos talked all. Please, mail for Jos. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home