Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OPINIONS NEEDED: Live shows 90-present
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 29, 2009 20:13

Hello all,
I have never really cared for the Stones over-all live sound since the Steel Wheels tour. To me, the sound lacks the edge, agressivness, and roughness of the prior tours.

I know that there are a mass of theories concerning this, Mick wanting the band to sound like the album, the desire to have a consistently clean sound,Daryll's bass playing, etc..

Because of this, I rarely listen to these shows. I like certain versions played for example, Some Girls at Sheppard's Bush or Everybody Needs Someone to Love from Licks tour but for the most part, the sound lacks teeth. The sound simply leaves me cold. I mean, the Wino's tours sounded gritty, but the Stones....not so much.

Soooooooooooooo.......I am asking you of great knowledge the following question:

Which Stones show(s) would capture that gutsy feel that I am not hearing? Is there a show (s) out there that will make me say "Great" There is the nasty sound from the days of yore" ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: OPINIONS NEEDED: Live shows 90-present
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 30, 2009 06:17

The tour that they let themselves "GET BACK" on IMO is the 99 tour. OKC rocked as hard as Ft Worth 78. Route 66 and Get Off My Cloud on the B stage(seats right in front of Keith). Boots can be enjoyable-but the sound cant compare!

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 30, 2009 06:37

The 2nd and 3rd MSG shows from 1998 for a start.

J

Date: April 30, 2009 17:08

thank you both! I'm a little surprised that more people didnt weigh in on this. Maybe I should have asked people opinions of Mick's choice of socks

Date: April 30, 2009 17:36

Yeah, those MSG 98 shows were good too and even though the set list was Babylon I still have a tendency to think of em lumped with "No Security"! I guess cause theres something about the "vibe" of an arena venue.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 30, 2009 19:17

I'm glad someone posted a response, too. I would love to hear those gigs. Any Stones show I have been to post 1989, while entertaining, has not rocked with any real passion at all...other than SARStock, but the passion that day was just with the opening bands. I would love to hear Keith playing rhythm with fire again. I'll look for the mentioned boots.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: April 30, 2009 19:48

"Jumping Jack Flash" at the 2nd March 1999 show in Philly...

Date: April 30, 2009 20:00

I'd agree that the No Security shows had a really good edge to them - saw them at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, and it was great...I mean, they opened with JJF...way to kick it off.

Date: April 30, 2009 20:45

Well that's the thing! When you are there...it does really sound heavier" and you can get into it, but on disc it's sort of lame. Lacking real fire and spontiety.

I mean SAL is a good film but to me the dirtiest guitar is Mick playing on Some Girls.

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: May 2, 2009 20:59

I agree that the post 1989 shows in general lack fire. For example, Keith played "Monkey Man" with a clean sound on the VL tour as opposed to the distortion on the "Let It Bleed" album. It seemed to lack the passion and energy.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: May 2, 2009 21:07

I kinda like the Vancouver 94 show the second one Happy Birthday Keith. It's quite clear I'd give you a ratinf of vg++

Posted by: Ya-Yas ()
Date: May 5, 2009 14:01

Could someone reupload the 1998 MSG gigs, please?

I seem to have missed them in the first round.

Thanks in advance, Ya-Yas

Posted by: kees ()
Date: May 5, 2009 18:24

None - don't bother

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2009 10:54

Praha 1998 I wonder why this show is so overlooked...
The beginning of the 1st Paris 1995 show thumbs up

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 6, 2009 12:15

I think my favourite would be Tokyo 02-26-90 show....despite of the poor sound they had on the 89/90 tour....the guitars were mixed as pianos...and the keyboards were to prominent, those 2 years. Still....Tokyo 02-26 has good energy and great guitarplaying - not to mention that the quality is perfect.

Date: May 6, 2009 12:23

Think the "warhorses" has sounded pretty much the same on every tour from 1989 to 2007; I find the "rarer touched songs" to be much more point in listening to....songs they kept to ONE tour only. If one listen to JJF from a recent tour....who can tell which show it comes from; without looking at the CD-sleeve? I can't, anyway. Very much different from the 60s/70s, of which each concert had it's own nerve and edge

Date: May 6, 2009 17:36

Thats pretty much true,Erik. I agree. Theres been a few differences but not much.
Thats why I liked the 99 arena tour "JJF"-maybe it was because they opened with it and kept it pretty short. With no horns it sounded more like the "old" rocker.
But I think you could take a bunch of "Tumbling Dice" performances over the years and have a hard time telling which tour they came from.

Date: May 6, 2009 19:48

Yeah Scott, JJF got a new spark on the No Security tour - because they did it as an opener, without the usual never-ending choir, keyboard & singalong outro.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 6, 2009 20:03

Erik_Snow
JJF got a new spark on the No Security tour - because they did it as an opener

Also worked well when played as an opener at some shows in 02/03 and 05/06, I think.

Date: May 6, 2009 20:12

erikjjf
Erik_Snow

Also worked well when played as an opener at some shows in 02/03 and 05/06, I think.

Yes, that's true, Erik
All in all....I think one can say that Rolling Stones of the "modern times" are doing the best work when they try doing something new....instead of going through routines....which they do way too often.
Learning The Game 2006 is a prime example of it working....while Torn & Frayed 2002 failed...for instance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-06 20:48 by Erik_Snow.

Date: May 7, 2009 01:24

You know, on the 99 tour I was really surprised how well the horns turned out on the end of "Sympathy". In 89 it was a treat to hear the "studio" intro to this song too but now I wish we could hear the 60-70s guitar driven intro version!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 7, 2009 04:06

UGH!!! horns were terrible addition to SFTD---AAAAARGGGHH!!!

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 7, 2009 04:07

Erik_Snow
erikjjf
Erik_Snow

Yes, that's true, Erik
All in all....I think one can say that Rolling Stones of the "modern times" are doing the best work when they try doing something new....instead of going through routines....which they do way too often.
Learning The Game 2006 is a prime example of it working....while Torn & Frayed 2002 failed...for instance
T&F----under-rehearsed ---and would have been great with a little more work...

Date: May 7, 2009 20:29

HUH??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1715
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home