Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones recording studios
Posted by: wesley ()
Date: December 8, 2008 13:26

SwayStones
Hello!

First of all,pay no attention to my poor english..I'm french...

I would like if it's possible to discuss about the Rolling Stones Studios .
We've all heard about the Mobile Studio,I've found this link you may have seen before:

[www.arcavitsystems.com]

And during 1971 they found it very expensive to own a mobile studio like this. Deep Purple rented it and drove it to a little Swiss town, Montreaux, that is.
Machine Head was recorded with this studio equipment.
You all know how the lyrics goes in Smoke On The Water..

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 8, 2008 16:09

Ten Years After recorded a couple of songs for "Rock n Roll Music To The World" on the Stones Mobile too I think.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 8, 2008 17:37

DAT tape is redundant - the T in DAT stands for tape.

They've worked at Pathe the most (it seems), with Olympic next, as well as Nassau, Bahamas. Perhaps another question to add to this one - how many studios - houses included - have they recorded at/in? There are the two houses, Mick and Keith's, and didn't they do VL demos at Ronnie's or did they actually record at Ronnie's? I can't recall that one.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 8, 2008 18:20

skipstone

They've worked at Pathe the most (it seems), with Olympic next, as well as Nassau, Bahamas. Perhaps another question to add to this one - how many studios - houses included - have they recorded at/in? There are the two houses, Mick and Keith's, and didn't they do VL demos at Ronnie's or did they actually record at Ronnie's? I can't recall that one.

Curly Clayton Sound Studio, London
IBC Studios, London
Olympic Sound Studios
Decca Studios
De Lane Lea Music Recording Studios
Regent Sound Studios
Chess Studios, Chicago, Illinois
RCA Studios, Hollywood, California
Redlands, West Wittering, Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, Florence, Alabama
Rolling Stones Mobile (RSM), Nellcote, Villefranche Sur Mer, France
Elektra Studios,
Dynamic Sound Studios, Kingston, Jamaica
Musicland Studios, Munich, West Germany
Mountain Studios, Montreux, Switzerland
Pathe-Marconi, EMI Studios,
Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas
RPM Studios, New York City (story and pics by Bibi Farber:
[bibifarber.com]
Blue Wave Studio, Barbados, West Indies
Ron Wood's home studio, Sandymount, County Kildare, Ireland
Toshiba-EMI's Studios, Tokyo, Japan
[www.iorr.org]

What about 1995 to nowadays?

Date: December 8, 2008 19:38

1995 Toshiba-EMI's Studios, Tokyo, Japan
1997 Los Angeles, California, Ocean Way Recording Studios.
2002 Suresnes,France, Guillaume Tell Studios
2004/5 Pocé sur Cisse, France, La Fourchette

Thank you nzentgraf.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 8, 2008 19:42

where did they record Steel Wheels? wasn't that in Montserrat--or was it the Barbados studio you have listed?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 8, 2008 20:39

STEEL WHEELS pre-production tracks were cut at Blue Wave in Barbados (Eddy Grant's studio) where Mick worked with Dave Stewart for PRIMITIVE COOL and where VOODOO LOUNGE's pre-production tracks were also cut. The STEEL WHEELS recording sessions were held at AIR in Montserrat (Sir George Martin's studio) where Keith had worked on TALK IS CHEAP. The tracks were mixed at their old stomping grounds, Olympic Studios in London although they spent a couple days in Tangier overdubbing The Master Musicians of Joujouka onto "Continental Drift."

Date: December 8, 2008 21:59

So that's:

Curly Clayton Sound Studio, London
IBC Studios, London
Olympic Sound Studios
Decca Studios
De Lane Lea Music Recording Studios
Regent Sound Studios
Chess Studios, Chicago, Illinois
RCA Studios, Hollywood, California
Redlands, West Wittering,
Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, Florence, Alabama
Rolling Stones Mobile (RSM),
Nellcote, Villefranche Sur Mer, France
Elektra Studios,
Dynamic Sound Studios, Kingston, Jamaica
Musicland Studios, Munich, West Germany
Mountain Studios, Montreux, Switzerland
Pathe-Marconi, EMI Studios,
Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas
RPM Studios, New York City
Blue Wave Studio, Barbados, West Indies
Ron Wood's home studio, Sandymount, County Kildare, Ireland
Toshiba-EMI's Studios, Tokyo, Japan
Los Angeles, California, Ocean Way Recording Studios.
Suresnes,France, Guillaume Tell Studios
Pocé sur Cisse, France, La Fourchette
AIR Studios, Montserrat, Lesser Antilles
Windmill Lane, Dublin, IR

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 8, 2008 22:23

An interesting list would be where they HAVEN'T recorded:
-Nashville; New Orleans; San Francisco; Toronto; Netherlands (their tax base);Florida
not sure where / what is regarded as the "premier" studios today - I guess they have chosen more for the feel of the place (oh, and tax reasons naturally)

Date: December 9, 2008 00:11

Nashville...actually, a lot of the studios in TN are not exactly in Nashville but near Nashville. I've worked at the Sound Kitchen in Franklin. A lot of big named people have cut there. I'm not saying there aren't any in Nashville, just that more outside of the city directly are used.

Florida has a few studios. Miami is a popular place with Criteria and there is New River in Ft Lauderdale.

There's only a couple of studios in New Orleans. There are some in Memphis as well and it has been forever since they did anything in Chicago.

There are some studios north of New Orleans that are quite nice acutally. They could get in to the city without anyone knowing if they really wanted to. All they'd have to do is come up the river.

Date: December 9, 2008 18:17

jlowe
An interesting list would be where they HAVEN'T recorded:
-Nashville; New Orleans; San Francisco; Toronto; Netherlands (their tax base);Florida
not sure where / what is regarded as the "premier" studios today - I guess they have chosen more for the feel of the place (oh, and tax reasons naturally)

This sounds really interesting,how they choose their studios,especially at their beginnings....

How do you say it?
A studio in a truck?Or a studio in a van?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: December 10, 2008 18:10

I found out this :

Trident Studios
St Annes court is a street in the entertainment district of Soho in London.

This short street is home to one of Londons most legendary studios, many different artists have used this recording studio to record a multitude of famous tracks. Among famous artists and hits recorded at Trident are:...# The Rolling Stones

* Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out - May 1970
* Sticky Fingers - July 1970

[www.musicpilgrimages.com]

Does anyone knows about it?

Date: December 12, 2008 10:53

Thanks to Joëlle for this article.

[www.allbusiness.com]

By Christopher Walsh
Publication: Billboard
Date: Saturday, June 29 2002
ROLLING: Like Paris itself, Studios Guillaume Tell, located just outside the city proper in Suresnes, reflects the elegant and cultivated sensibility of that most beautiful of European cities. A former theater, the expansive, atmospheric Studio A at Guillaume Tell recalls an age before multitrack recording and sound processing, when an artist's performance, by necessity, stood solely on its own merit.

It seems a superb venue, then, for the archetypal rock'n'roll band, the Rolling Stones, to spend a month performing, as a unit, while the team of engineer Ed Cherney and producer Don Was captured it all from the adjacent control room.

Tracks recorded at Guillaume Tell, some of which are destined for an upcoming collection, are part of a blitz from the storied band that includes a world tour and the Aug. 20 release of 22 remastered Stones albums on hybrid Super Audio CD (Billboard, June 8). Rough mixes of these new tracks are, in Cherney's words, stupendous.

"It is one of the best-sounding rooms I've ever recorded in," Cherney says, "and I've recorded in lots of rooms. It was a theater, and obviously when they built it they had paid some attention to what it would sound like. I think the biggest thing they did was for intelligibility. You could go out in the room and listen to them play and go into the control room and it was intelligible. I was getting through the speakers what was going on in the room, which was great. It was just the right amount of ambiance, just the right amount of air around stuff. The way the floor shook, where it resonated, was really sweet. I think I cut some of the best tracks I've ever cut."

A guitar-based band, the Stones recorded their tracks to 2-inch analog tape on Guillaume Tell's Studer A820 multitrack recorder, though in order to capture every sound generated in the live room, a Pro Tools rig, operated by Nick Brophy, was additionally employed. "Keith [Richards] will be playing, and somebody else will wander out, [and] somebody else will wander out," Cherney explains, "and pretty soon everybody is out there and they're playing a song. So if there was anybody making noise out there, we ran the Pro Tools."

Cherney used Royer R-121 ribbon microphones on Richards' and Ron Wood's guitar amplifiers and tracked through Studio A's Solid State Logic 9000 J Series console. "Usually, if I'm using SSLs—and most production consoles—I'll use outboard microphone preamps," Cherney says. "But I brought stuff up through the [console's] preamps to hear what it sounded like and ended up using all the preamps on the console for everything. I was really surprised."

Guillaume Tell's Studio A is complemented by Studio B, a mix room outfitted like Studio A for surround mixing and featuring the world's first Sony OXF-R3 "Oxford" digital

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 7, 2009 02:30

Date: September 7, 2009 15:20

Thanks Nicos ,I've never heard these interviews I think .I even didn't know the great Franck was there too.

BTW,does someone knows this book :
Recording Studio design ,written by Philip Newel ?
On pages 170/172/173/175/583 there are some quotes to the Rolling Stones and the Mobile Studio.It would be nice to find out what he wrote.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 7, 2009 19:13

Beelyboy,

Very interesting -- and actually not too uncommon -- thoughts about music sound and recording!

I'm 28 years old, making music myself at home, and very much part of the "Myspace generation". I'm using computers (not least free software) and digital editing a lot, but I've also grown up with rock 'n' roll on vinyl records, old guitars and large stereo equipment, so I got a bit of the "old" side as well, and I'm trying to make my music as "authentic" as possible with the equipment and knowledge I have.

My "speciality" is actually covering video game music, which no doubt is a "digital" genre down to the bone, but I use home-built tube amplifiers, among other things, and my biggest inspirations when mixing music is stuff like Exile, Goats, Beggars Banquet, Led Zeppelin, The Stooges and old funk records.
Beely -- if you have a couple of minutes left, I'd love to hear some quick comments on my recordings, since you obviously have a lot of experience of recording and producing. Check 'em out here:
[lidbjork.homelinux.org]
(And don't be too kind -- I'm used to critique winking smiley

In my view, the biggest difference from the old days is not really a lack of interest in good sound or good music, but the availability of cheap and portable digital products for the mass market. My mom (born '52) is certainly not an audiophile by any measure (or rich for that matter), but she had a pretty large and good sounding stereo set in the early '70s basically because that was the only option. Today, instead of having an equally sized set with better sound for a lower price, the kids choose to use computer speakers or cheapo ear phones. And since these people make up the majority of the market, mainstream producers shape the music for them.

Getting great sound is easier and cheaper than ever, but the sad part is that our music culture has become so polluted by cell phones and laptops that people get used to low resolution tracks on tiny crap speakers that they never really take advantage of the technology that is available. (Reasonably small hifi speakers can sound great and don't cost so much, but only "real" music fans actually buy 'em, it seems.)

Btw (to anyone here) -- DAT tapes are nothing else than digital media with high resolution, easily reproduced on computers. The actual tape is merely a storage medium and doesn't affect the sound, but perhaps the typical DAT recorder/player have a warmer sound than what most people are used to these days.

Date: September 7, 2009 20:13

RnT - it's not DAT tapes, it's DATs. The T in DAT stands for Tape. ATM machine, PIN number...all redundant uses of language of the reason they are acronyms to SHORTEN the group of words and then...people wind up saying one of the words anyway. Like GPS system. BUT - I have found ads for blank DATs from the DAT companies that said? DAT tapes. So it makes the acronym redundant yet it is now a part of the culture. Which says a lot huh.

So when speaking of DATs it is simply that - DATs.

I had a DAT recorder. I did some mix downs to DAT, of multi-track studio recordings as well as cassette 4-track (from the 4-track as well as through a board). They sounded great. There seemed to be an element of slight compression as well as warmth.

The aspect of Digital Audio Tape combines two things - it's VCR technology with the spinning sample wheel while using digital numbers so there for when you record a CD to DAT it's not a copy, it's a clone. Not sure why that language is so specific. I guess because there is no degrading of the signal - it's the exact same signal. Like banana plants - they're all the SAME!

Date: September 7, 2009 20:15

And I just noticed that this is an old thread and I'm repeating myself. I'm repeating myself. Oh well oh well.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 8, 2009 00:39

To get a complete picture

Date: September 8, 2009 01:02

Shouldn't Stargroves be on that list? I know it is Jagger's house plus the RS Mobile studio but many other locations on the master list are just that.
Trident Studio; isn;t that the studio that the Trident Demos come from? they musta been there for a good spell right when Taylor joined.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 8, 2009 01:08

What was used in the El Mo?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home