Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS - 40th Birthday
Posted by: still ill ()
Date: December 3, 2008 14:09

I've always felt the Who vs Stones thing needed a bit of musical perspective.The Stones hadn't toured and had barely played in nearly 2 years,whereas the Who had toured constantly in that time and it probably shows.Plus of course Brian isn't really there and the Stones have never been a 1 guitar band.

One year later and it would have all sounded different and comparisons more valid

That said,i think Sympathy is stunning,one of the best ever live versions

Terrific pics btw

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2008 14:22

Mick Jagger.................................................Mike Randolph

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 3, 2008 14:42

still ill
I've always felt the Who vs Stones thing needed a bit of musical perspective.The Stones hadn't toured and had barely played in nearly 2 years,whereas the Who had toured constantly in that time and it probably shows.Plus of course Brian isn't really there and the Stones have never been a 1 guitar band.

One year later and it would have all sounded different and comparisons more valid

That said,i think Sympathy is stunning,one of the best ever live versions

Terrific pics btw

Yeah, even though the performance is interesting, looks nice and surely is unique in its own terms, they are musically quite rusty and sloppy. Thanks to stunning and charismatic performance of Jagger they get away it. I think Mick really carries the band there. He really put his whole energy and self into it. The weakest department is the one that should drive the band: the guitar department. Brian's (non-)contribition (expect of course, "No Expectations") is well known, but Keith sounds very insecure and helpless too - seemingly he cannot carry the guitar duties alone. Watching this performance one can really see the reason why someone like Mick Taylor needed to be brought in.

Yeah, a year later they were a totally different band, and could have easily play The Who or anyone out of the room.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-03 14:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: December 3, 2008 15:08

I do actually really like The Who but it seems a shame that so much internet opinion and comparison of Who vs Stones live is based on the RaRC.

Agreed on Jagger,the best ever rock frontman right there

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 3, 2008 19:06

If they hadn't mixed Brian so far down the sound would have been fuller on the dvd/cd. I bet they didn't sound as weak in person as they do on the released stuff.

Sorry, but as I said before, Brian plays really simple parts, but there's nothing wrong in what he plays as such. I'm a bit puzzled as to why they felt the need to have him so low in the mix.

All these tales of him being out of it etc may be true, but it didn't stop him from playing his basic guitar parts at the R&R Circus.

Date: December 3, 2008 19:07

steffiestones

Yes, this pic relates to the circus because all the pics comes from the r&r circus press pack.

Interesting, I wonder if it was taken at the hotel they rehearsed in!?

Does the press pack credit the photographer?

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 3, 2008 19:33

His Majesty
steffiestones

Yes, this pic relates to the circus because all the pics comes from the r&r circus press pack.

Interesting, I wonder if it was taken at the hotel they rehearsed in!?

Does the press pack credit the photographer?

yes, the name of the photographer is Anthony B. Richmond

Date: December 3, 2008 19:41

Excellent, thanks for that! cool smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 5, 2008 12:13

His Majesty
If they hadn't mixed Brian so far down the sound would have been fuller on the dvd/cd. I bet they didn't sound as weak in person as they do on the released stuff.

Sorry, but as I said before, Brian plays really simple parts, but there's nothing wrong in what he plays as such. I'm a bit puzzled as to why they felt the need to have him so low in the mix.

All these tales of him being out of it etc may be true, but it didn't stop him from playing his basic guitar parts at the R&R Circus.

After I listened the guitar parts seperately on youtube (reconstructed by one familiar guy who with that evidence could really strengthen the points written above of Brian's contribution>grinning smiley<), I need to reconsider some of my criticism of the guitar department - seemingly they screwed up the result while mixing or with the way they recorded them. For example, some of Keith's work - especially in "Parachute Woman" - is really inspiring.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-05 12:15 by Doxa.

Date: December 5, 2008 16:36

Doxa

After I listened the guitar parts seperately on youtube (reconstructed by one familiar guy who with that evidence could really strengthen the points written above of Brian's contribution>grinning smiley<), I need to reconsider some of my criticism of the guitar department - seemingly they screwed up the result while mixing or with the way they recorded them. For example, some of Keith's work - especially in "Parachute Woman" - is really inspiring.

- Doxa

Hah, although what I played isn't note for note, I think it does get the point I wanted to make across(Brian was able enough to play his parts and he wasn't unplugged).

So why did they mix him so low down for the official release? I think it was a bad call regardless of how basic Brian's guitar playing was. Having him loud for No Expectations and not the others makes for an odd and incomplete representation of their performance.

Alternative stones reality part 1.

I'll maybe have a go at playing similar to what Brian played on top of the official CD and see that that comes out like.

Alternative stones reality part 2.

I'd like to play what Brain played in One Plus One on top of the studio sympathy too. Just the basic chords with the open E and B ringing out and that occasional blues turn he appears to throw in every now and then.

Date: December 5, 2008 16:48

steffiestones

Turns out this guy is not a photographer, but a cinematographer. Most of the photos in the press pack are by Michael Randolph.

The Stanley Booth book Dance With The Devil credits the pic from the same day as the mystery pic to Ethan Russell so I would assume Ethan took the large pic of Keith you posted too.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 5, 2008 18:57

His Majesty
steffiestones

Turns out this guy is not a photographer, but a cinematographer. Most of the photos in the press pack are by Michael Randolph.

The Stanley Booth book Dance With The Devil credits the pic from the same day as the mystery pic to Ethan Russell so I would assume Ethan took the large pic of Keith you posted too.

Ok, Thanks for the info !

Date: December 5, 2008 19:03

steffiestones

Ok, Thanks for the info !

Thanks for posting the pics! thumbs up

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 5, 2008 22:28

The Circus was also a kind of landmark in the history of Stones, the very last time Brian plaid live with Stones.....

DECCA
[www.stonesvikings.com]

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 10, 2008 00:21

SimonN
shortfatfanny
The shooting took place 10th Dec - 12th Dec 1968,but rehearsals were already
at the 6th Dec ( as well as the release of Beggars Banquet )

Anyone on this board who was in the audience or involved in another way ?
tongue sticking out smiley)smileys with beer>grinning smiley<smiling bouncing smileyeye rolling smileydrinking smileyeye popping smileysmoking smileysmiling smileymoody smileygrinning smileytongue sticking out smileywinking smileycool smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hello,

Not really invovled too much...I was born on 10th December '68!

Cheers,

Si.

Happy Birthday SimonN,

and Happy Circus,

thank you all given input and those great pictures here.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 10, 2008 00:30

Rockman

Mick Jagger.................................................Mike Randolph

This photo is bad ass.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1537
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home