Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
(OT) Best "Dick's Picks" - your opinions?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 25, 2008 23:08

I've got Dick's Picks Volume 22 and find it very enjoyable! 68 was a good year. What other volumes of Dick's Picks can ya recommend?

Re: (OT) Best "Dick's Picks" - your opinions?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 25, 2008 23:15

big dead fan here - and i collect lots of dead shows - but don't own very many of the dicks picks (so much available for free, you know) - but i do enjoy #8 alot - from Binghamton '70 with a real nice acoustic set on cd1

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: November 25, 2008 23:15

I've got Chuck's Pick!

Date: November 25, 2008 23:27

thanks for the hint, T&A! gotta check #8, acoustic Dead sounds promising ;^)

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 25, 2008 23:38

Can't think of the volume number off the top of my head but Fox Theater is a good one, they do a great version of Terrapin. Also Volume 8 (Harpur College) is a must. Volume 24 (Cow Palace 1974) is another good one.

You actually can't go wrong with any of these great sets.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 26, 2008 00:27

They put out an early Allman Brothers show that's quite good (they opened for the Dead apparently and the tapes were already rolling).

Date: November 26, 2008 00:29

cannot remember the number to this one either, but there's one that features 2 shows, one being from the Syracuse War Memorial in 1976 or 77 that I really like.

Also - Cow Palace, New Year's 1977 is awesome (but not a Dick's Picks)

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: November 26, 2008 01:26

DP #8 Harpur College 5-2-70 Features both Acoustic and Electric sets

DP #11 Stanley Theatre 9-27-72 Great show following the Europe 72 tour

DP #5 Oakland New Year run 12-26-79 First Dicks Pick complete unedited show and first with "rookie" Brent Mydland on keys

DP #4 Fillmore East 2-13/14-70 Classic....though readily circulated for free

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-26 01:26 by No Expectations.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: November 26, 2008 02:03

#36 is a massive show with an epic Dark Star from 72. #7 is also another favorite from the "Ally Pally" shows in London, 74. Keepers both.

Date: November 26, 2008 03:56

#8 because of the acoustic set..

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 26, 2008 04:43

Not sure if Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead is a Dick's pick, but it is fantastic!

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: November 26, 2008 04:57

whitem8
Not sure if Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead is a Dick's pick, but it is fantastic!

Not a DP but a great release ..

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 26, 2008 11:21

Yeah didn't think it was but it is a great one, kind of an extended Live 72 without the ice cream cone:-)

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: November 26, 2008 13:08

Not a Dick's Picks, but check out Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead, four discs of wonderment from the 1972 Europe tour.

Also check out #12 from Boston and Providence in June 1974. There's series of jams on disc three that runs for nearly half an hour and is utterly priceless.
#26 from Minneapolis and Chicago in 1969 is also quite tasty.

But stay away from #27 with Vince Welnick on keyboards from '92 and #21 from '85 when Jerry was in really bad shape from Persian.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 26, 2008 15:42

i love jerry !!!!!!!! what in the world ever became of sweet JANE?living on reds vitamin c and COCAINE, all a friend can say aint it a shame.jerry loves you !!!!!!

Date: November 26, 2008 16:50

thank you all. #26, #8 and Steppin Out are on top of my list -- gotta track 'em down now...

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: November 26, 2008 18:16

#8 from Harpur College in Binghampton, no doubt is my favorite, apparently like alot of other people here.

It was the first live Grateful Dead that I had ever heard and I got it almost by accident. I didn't know I happened to be buying one of the best Dead performances available. The acoustic set is great but so is the electric set. Disc 2 especially is outstanding.

I also have DP #7 from Jersey City, 9/27/72, and DP #14 from Boston 11/30 & 12/2/73. I prefer #14 to #7.

Besides the DP series, I have "Hundred Year Hall" 4/26/72, which is a good one. Also "Steppin' Out: England '72" and "Ladies and Gentlemen: The Grateful Dead", Fillmore East, New York in April 1971. All all quite good.

I have a couple more live recordings, one from the "From the Vault" series recorded in California in '68 and another from the Fillmore (West maybe?) in '69.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 26, 2008 18:21

not a DP - but the 4cd Closing of Winterland (Dec 31, 1978) show is an absolute must-have for any serious fan. find the opening sbd of the blues brothers opening set thru boot circles to complete the performance. this was the show where fans who stayed through the night were feted to a free breakfast from uncle bill.

i've always found it interesting that arguably the best touring years for both the dead and the stones were the same: 69, 72-73, 78 (you can make a case for '77 in the dead's case, but alas the stones didn't tour then, of course....)

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: November 26, 2008 18:25

T&A
not a DP - but the 4cd Closing of Winterland (Dec 31, 1978) show is an absolute must-have for any serious fan. find the opening sbd of the blues brothers opening set thru boot circles to complete the performance. this was the show where fans who stayed through the night were feted to a free breakfast from uncle bill.

i've always found it interesting that arguably the best touring years for both the dead and the stones were the same: 69, 72-73, 78 (you can make a case for '77 in the dead's case, but alas the stones didn't tour then, of course....)

Ah I forgot about that one. I have this show on dvd. It's the only official live Grateful Dead that I have from that era, but it's great.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: November 26, 2008 19:00

I have em all they all have their virtues
Favorites are

# 8 Binghamton
#12 Boston
#18 Iowa (great Scarlet>Fire)

The two complete Box sets from Fillmore West 1969 and Winterland 1973 are must haves.

Also all the Pure Jerry sets are very good.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: November 26, 2008 19:25

#17 Boston Garden '91 is a great latter-day one

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: November 27, 2008 00:29

DP 4 & 8 classics! MEZ

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: November 27, 2008 14:27

Any one have any comments on the Road Trips series.

For some reason I've gone off the Dead a bit the last couple of years so I'm going to listen to some Vaults at the weekend and get my Dead mojo back.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: November 27, 2008 14:43

The Road Trips sets are more like live albums, taking highlights of a few shows and narrowing them down to a few discs. Some completists might object, but I like 'em because they cut to the chase.

Of those, the Fall '77 set is aces.

Weir's inept slide playing ruins much of the most recent one from Winterland in '78. Jerry's jamming away in one channel, and Weir's making these noises that sound like an abused cat in the other. It's bad enough that he's playing those Ibanezes, but does he have to compound things by playing slide?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 27, 2008 15:36

Dick's Picks #34 is definitely a highlight. The Dead were playing pretty well for lots of shows in 1977. The Rochester, New York show of 11/5/77 is a standout. Ok, I may be biased because I was there and I was delighted when it was released on the Dick's Picks series. Even though I am biased, however, many fans and collectors consider that show to be a keeper worth acquiring. In my opinion, almost every tune is played well and there is an energy level that it maintained throughout the show. If you like the Dead or are a casual listener, #34 is essential.....

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: November 29, 2008 02:46

The Mez
DP 4 & 8 classics! MEZ

Couldn't agree more -

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: November 29, 2008 03:04

Favorite year is 74 - Des Moines - Iowa State fair grounds - 1st and best show. Would love to see that out as a pick (pretty good version on Archive.org). The 'wall of sound' was sensational live - and created some interesting recordings - although the vox were pretty thin at times. But the ensemble improvision was stellar.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: November 29, 2008 13:59

Get Fillmore West 1969, which is the series of shows recorded for Live Dead. Then get DP #16 which is from the Fillmore but around six months later. There is a great transformation of the Grateful Dead as a psychedelic jam band to the countryish loosely tight band. I just think that it is amazing in which the band plays almost all of Workingman's Dead before it was released.
Big fan of DP 15 from Englishtown with the long Not Fade Away...not a boring note played
DP 19 is my travel disc, it pretty much goes where I do.The third discs is classic.

Date: November 30, 2008 20:18

kovach
They put out an early Allman Brothers show that's quite good (they opened for the Dead apparently and the tapes were already rolling).

funny you mention Allman Bros 'cause they put so called retrospective live albums either - SUNY at Sonybrook 1971 is good, I'm listening to it now. but sound quality, comparin to eg At Fillmore, is poor.

Date: February 23, 2010 00:17

so long since we had discussed it...
I had to find this thread because yesterday by accident I listened once to "Scarlet Begonias" and freaked out - literally. dug my home for all the Dead CDs I could find and I ended up with three releases from 1976: not very well-known year for their performances but such a joy! I love it. listening now to "Live at the Cow Palace"... the problem is I fell in love with their '76 sound so much I can't listen to any other year! really.

Scarlet Begonias, Wharf Rat, Uncle John's Band, They Love Each Other, Around and Around, Sugar Magnolia, the list goes on and on...

"strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hands" x)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home