Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Lack of music from Stones
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 26, 2008 20:23

Father Ted,
They did do Tumbin Dice, Happy, Sweet Virginia, All Down The Line, Rip This Joint and Rocks Off at every show during the 72 tour. That is a good amount off a new album. Nowhere near the 2 news songs shows they started doing with ABB. Plus they were doing a lot from Sticky Fingers which they never got to tour behind in the US. Also during that tour they barely touched any of their material that was more than a few years old.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 26, 2008 21:13

Father Ted

You stat that an astonishing 40% of their catalogue has never been played is far higher than I'd assumed. I'd love to hear them do Memo From Turner, Dear Doctor and Sister Morphine.

Sister Morphine was played on the BTB tour. It was very good, too. A live version was released on No Security. The other two have still never been performed.

Father Ted
Hearing all of Exile played live would be amazing. And I can see the appeal for Ron as that was recorded before he joined them. But even looking back into the past, they didn't bother with much of Exile even when it was their latest album. Very few album tracks actually seem to make it out of the studio.

None of those songs are fiddly to play but I've wondered if there were competence issues which affected which songs they could play well live?

That may be the case with some numbers, but I cant imagine the vast majority of Stones songs can be THAT tricky to perform. There have been some more complex songs which many of us thought theyd never be able to pull off live, but which they managed to do a decent job with - Cant You Hear Me Knockin' being an example. They actually gave it up after one or two performances in 1971 because it was a disaster - and thats even with Taylor in the band at his peak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-26 21:23 by Gazza.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 26, 2008 21:16

Gazza
They actually gave it up after one or two performances in 1971 because it was a disaster - and thats even with Taylor in the band at his peak.

something tells me that a 1971 disaster would be reckoned as a 21st century masterwork....

Date: November 26, 2008 21:22

Hound Dog
Father Ted,
They did do Tumbin Dice, Happy, Sweet Virginia, All Down The Line, Rip This Joint and Rocks Off at every show during the 72 tour. That is a good amount off a new album. Nowhere near the 2 news songs shows they started doing with ABB. Plus they were doing a lot from Sticky Fingers which they never got to tour behind in the US. Also during that tour they barely touched any of their material that was more than a few years old.

1972 saw a set which was almost entirely full of songs never or hardly played before in the US. That trend was also followed in other tours around that time frame. In that 1968-74 period the Stones put out six studio albums and toured every year from 1969 to 1976 apart from 1974. However, in most cases they only toured one 'region' each year. So, if they toured - for example - the US it usually meant they werent just performing the songs off the new album for the first time to that audience, but the songs from one or maybe even two albums prior to it. In 1972-73, they barely played anything at all that had been released prior to 1968.

Even when you go as late as 1982, the European tour that year wasnt just a case of them touring behind Tattoo You. The songs from Some Girls and Emotional Rescue were getting their European debut too. So, half of the set - some 12 songs or so - were songs recorded since their previous European tour in 1976. Add to that another sizeable amount of songs which hadnt been played in 10-15 years prior to that tour and it was,a show which was about 75% "fresh" to most of the audience.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: November 26, 2008 21:27

T&A
Gazza
They actually gave it up after one or two performances in 1971 because it was a disaster - and thats even with Taylor in the band at his peak.

something tells me that a 1971 disaster would be reckoned as a 21st century masterwork....

That same something tells me exactly the same.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 27, 2008 04:23

Re "starting (the ABB tour) playing only 2 new songs" it's inaccurate. For some time in '05-early '06 they played 4 ABB songs at shows, plus an unrecorded cover and stuff like YGMR, 'Love Is Strong', 'Out Of Control' or 'The Worst' that are relatively recent. The set became more conservative in terms of greater emphasis on earlier material as the tour continued. Ironically in many cases the performances of old classics they've played for decades, that I'd vote for them to drop, wpuls far exceed my expectations in terms of energy and power. Not contradicting my earlier posts - I still want more new/recent/surprising old stuff in the sets.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 27, 2008 06:01

When Licks and ABB came out, all the guitar mags did interview with Keith. He stated that they were basically going to play the hits because that's what people want to hear.

What I want to know is who tells the Stones this kind of crap? The 'gotta play the hits' crap? And why do they bother to cater to those people? What happened to playing (sorry, TOURING) the new record? What happened to being The Rolling Stones?

They crapped out with ABB - most of that album would have been perfect live, unlike Bridges or Dirty Work. They played a lot from Steel Wheels. They played a lot from Tattoo You and Some Girls. They've ignored Emotional Rescue, Undercover (OK so they've played UOTN, SWH and IWHY over the years) and Dirty Work basically.

They played a good bit off Voodoo. Bridges as well.

They are the Beach Boys - England's Beach Boys.

They should have done 5 songs or more from ABB. What a waste.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 27, 2008 06:58

Oh come on, the comparason won't wash! - the Beach Boys (or Mike Love - no Wilsons left) are truly nothing like the great and innovative BBs of 1963- 77 or so....In terms of personnel, creativity (nil - no new music in a LONG time) or as stage band. And I'm a big BB fan.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 27, 2008 12:13

Hound Dog
Father Ted,

OK, I was being unfair in this case. And six songs in a shorter 70s set makes for a higher percentage of new material. Altho it's only about a third of the total Exile material.

(On a side note - Rocks Off doesn't appear on my DVD of Ladies n Gentlemen. Does it appear on any version?)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 27, 2008 12:36

Not to diverge, but what about Sweet Black Angel live? What a treat that was, it is so proto-punk and has the similar riff to Dance Little Sister from El Macombo. Fantastic, and a shame they didn't keep it in the set list. For me one of the Stone's holy grails is to hear Can't You Hear Me Knockin' with Taylor soaring on it and keith throwing chunks of his funk rhythm.

Date: November 27, 2008 15:51

skipstone
When Licks and ABB came out, all the guitar mags did interview with Keith. He stated that they were basically going to play the hits because that's what people want to hear.

he did? I dont recall that (then again, i dont tend to buy guitar mags). I do seem to recall him enthusiastically stating that the new songs were made to be played live, though.

these quotes speak volumes :

If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits. People say, I much prefer to hear Brown Sugar than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough. We can do more repackages (rolls his eyes). But everyone was up for it. (Mick, 2005)

There is a certain feeling on this one, an excitement. There were no huge obstacles to overcome, like, What about that tuba part? These songs lend themselves to live work. They are beautifully ready to play, and everybody's ready to play them.

- Keith Richards, July 2005

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 27, 2008 17:19

Düsseldorf 2007 was followed only by Hamburg,Dublin and the three final
London shows.

I enjoyed the whole show so much but in D´dorf there was just one song of ABB.

1 out 18 (incl. the 2 songs of the bonus dvd),that´s really Rough Justice.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 27, 2008 17:58

As the stones are getting older we will see an even more conservative approach to the set list. The 40 lick tour(compare to A bigger bang) was daring with the # of songs they had to rehearse plus the fact that they played in the 3 different size venues. Although the stones are kind of denying it, they slowly have become a nostalgia act. The set lists are important but what really matter is the shape and the spirit they are in and how they perform; the nights the Stones kick ass, any song does it.(ex: Baltimore 2006;fanfastic show!)
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 27, 2008 18:21

I agree that ABB lacked some newer tunes. It began quite good with The Worst, OOC and YGMR along with some great ABB tracks. They dropped some of those though. And now people complain about that? Let's journey back to 2005 right here on IORR. Many people said that, and I quote: "OOC is a momentum-killer that late in the setlist". And "Why does Keith play The Worst? He should do Coming Down Again". So people want new stuff, but when they get it they don't like it? And Rough Justice wasn't played right "Sounds like YGMR". "ONNYA doesn't sound right to my ears". Please.... And what happened when they put their foot in the water with the new arrangement of 19th Nerveous Breakdown? It was hated by many and loved by few.

About not playing 40% of their back-catalogue: With some tracks it's a big let-down that they didn't play them (One being Soul Survivor - If they did play it, I never heard it). But also remember that some of their tracks are crap. I could cut away many tracks from Emotional Rescue, Undercover and Dirty Work that should never again be mentioned. There's tracks like that from all decades. Even from Exile On Main Street. I wouldn't be much interested in hearing Just Wanna See His Face live. It's just a filler track and it's frankly not their most exciting song. Maybe they realized what is crap, and what is not??? I can live without hearing Back To Zero live. Let alone Gomper.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 27, 2008 18:31

JumpingKentFlash
I agree that ABB lacked some newer tunes. It began quite good with The Worst, OOC and YGMR along with some great ABB tracks. They dropped some of those though. And now people complain about that? Let's journey back to 2005 right here on IORR. Many people said that, and I quote: "OOC is a momentum-killer that late in the setlist". And "Why does Keith play The Worst? He should do Coming Down Again". So people want new stuff, but when they get it they don't like it? And Rough Justice wasn't played right "Sounds like YGMR". "ONNYA doesn't sound right to my ears". Please.... And what happened when they put their foot in the water with the new arrangement of 19th Nerveous Breakdown? It was hated by many and loved by few.

About not playing 40% of their back-catalogue: With some tracks it's a big let-down that they didn't play them (One being Soul Survivor - If they did play it, I never heard it). But also remember that some of their tracks are crap. I could cut away many tracks from Emotional Rescue, Undercover and Dirty Work that should never again be mentioned. There's tracks like that from all decades. Even from Exile On Main Street. I wouldn't be much interested in hearing Just Wanna See His Face live. It's just a filler track and it's frankly not their most exciting song. Maybe they realized what is crap, and what is not??? I can live without hearing Back To Zero live. Let alone Gomper.

That bit I highlighted would make sense if it was the same people are the same people who are 'complaining' now.

That wasn't the case.

..and did 'many' people really make that quote about Out Of Control..or was it actually just one person?

PS : I seem to recall a certain Danish person on here saying that even if they played a show consisting of 'Gomper' 19 times and charged a fortune for it, he'd still be quite happy....drinking smiley

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: November 27, 2008 18:39

All I know is that new Mccartney album with the Fireman is great.
Paul is all over the place,sounds like no pressure on him to sound commercial,but Paul cant help it.
I think giving a chance the Stones could do one more great album like this.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 27, 2008 18:52

>>>That bit I highlighted would make sense if it was the same people are the same people who are 'complaining' now.

That wasn't the case.

>>>>>>> I remember that many persons, I'm quite sure you included, were knocking the setlist. In the beginning not so much the lack of ABB songs, but rather the many warhorses.
Seems to me that people regard music as either A- You MUST do Springsteen-like setlists or B- You suck for playing the same songs. The world ain't black and blue like that my friends. Of course it would be very nice to hear Ventilator Blues get an outing, but if The Stones choose to do Jumping Jack Flash one more time, it's fine by me. I'm there for the groove. And when they DO kick out the jams on JJF, who on earth thinks about Ventilator Blues, Dear Doctor, Mick Taylor or Gomper? I don't, for one.

>>>..and did 'many' people really make that quote about Out Of Control..or was it actually just one person?

>>>>>>> Since I was quoting, it's fair to assume that it was one person. I have yet to see 50 IORReans making the exact same statement in 50 posts, posted at the exact same time. winking smiley But you get my point I hope??? The "spirit" of all the bashing.

>>>PS : I seem to recall a certain Danish person on here saying that even if they played a show consisting of 'Gomper' 19 times and charged a fortune for it, he'd still be quite happy....drinking smiley

Funny smiley there. I was probably drinking that night. grinning smiley
When I said that I'd go to a 19 Gomper long show, it wasn't to emphasize that I wanted to hear Gomper. It was to show that I love the concerts so much that I'd endure that shitty suckfest 19 times if I had to.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 27, 2008 19:07

>>>That bit I highlighted would make sense if it was the same people are the same people who are 'complaining' now.

That wasn't the case.

>>>>>>> I remember that many persons, I'm quite sure you included, were knocking the setlist. In the beginning not so much the lack of ABB songs, but rather the many warhorses.

Yep. Its a multi faceted complaint. Not enough ABB songs as the tour went on (not the case at the start) and too many of the rest being warhorses or even other songs that have been played to death. Basically - very little that was 'fresh' whether they were old songs or new ones.

Seems to me that people regard music as either A- You MUST do Springsteen-like setlists or B- You suck for playing the same songs. The world ain't black and blue like that my friends. Of course it would be very nice to hear Ventilator Blues get an outing, but if The Stones choose to do Jumping Jack Flash one more time, it's fine by me. I'm there for the groove. And when they DO kick out the jams on JJF, who on earth thinks about Ventilator Blues, Dear Doctor, Mick Taylor or Gomper? I don't, for one.

No..i dont think its that black and white (black & blue? LOL). Its just a case of tweaking a show to get a nice balance. Warhorses are fine, but not where the same songs take up 60% or more of a show. Every tour. And the ratio goes up as the number of songs being played reduces as a tour goes on. or from one tour to the next.

>>>..and did 'many' people really make that quote about Out Of Control..or was it actually just one person?

>>>>>>> Since I was quoting, it's fair to assume that it was one person. I have yet to see 50 IORReans making the exact same statement in 50 posts, posted at the exact same time. winking smiley But you get my point I hope??? The "spirit" of all the bashing.

Well, mine was that maybe it wasnt as widespread as you liked to imply. smiling smiley And remember, we're not 'setlist whiners' - we're 'setlist carers' !! (copyright, T&A 2006)

>>>PS : I seem to recall a certain Danish person on here saying that even if they played a show consisting of 'Gomper' 19 times and charged a fortune for it, he'd still be quite happy....drinking smiley

Funny smiley there. I was probably drinking that night. grinning smiley
When I said that I'd go to a 19 Gomper long show, it wasn't to emphasize that I wanted to hear Gomper. It was to show that I love the concerts so much that I'd endure that shitty suckfest 19 times if I had to.[/quote]

Ach, so do I. I like playing devil's advocate to stir the pot a bit. You know I enjoy myself at these shows as much as anyone does. I just think that with a bit of fine tuning which would take minimal effort, they could be even better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-27 19:08 by Gazza.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 27, 2008 19:14

Gazza
And remember, we're not 'setlist whiners' - we're 'setlist carers' !! (copyright, T&A 2006)

cheers, mate....

(and who are these bashers of bang tour version of 19NB? never met a one....)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 28, 2008 04:13

Gazza

Yeah, Keith said that, they have to play the hits. But look at what you pointed out:

"these quotes speak volumes :

If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record."

As they showed with ABB, it may as well of been an EP.

"It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits. People say, I much prefer to hear Brown Sugar than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer."

BULLSHIT. The set lists go to show that Mick is full of shit with this kind of thing. MICK is the one that said he didn't want the Stones to become a band like the Beach Boys, just playing the same songs over and over and over over the years. Well...that's why I said they've become the Beach Boys - because they are resting on their back catalogue. They are not a functioning rock band in terms of DOING a new record live, of TOURING a new record.

"If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough. We can do more repackages (rolls his eyes). But everyone was up for it. (Mick, 2005)"

Mick likes to project but in reality is doing exactly what he's going on about that they WON'T do - he says repackages, we say The same ol' warhorses. Different language, same result. They seem to perfectly accept the ability to record a new record but they seem unable to accept the fact that, for whatever reason, they refuse to play the damn thing on the road. So what's the point then? ABB would be better regarded if they hadn't toured with the album title for the tour name. Or no tour at all.

"There is a certain feeling on this one, an excitement. There were no huge obstacles to overcome, like, What about that tuba part? These songs lend themselves to live work. They are beautifully ready to play, and everybody's ready to play them."

As you can read there, basically bullshit.

There you go.

- Keith Richards, July 2005

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 28, 2008 09:52

Maybe it's better they do some smaller gigs with some guestplayers :Taylor& Perks.
I'll try to get a ticket then.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 28, 2008 10:38

I've been thinking about the subject the last couple of days, and maybe the content of A Bigger Bang,
which absolutely rocks and gets me happy every time I hear it, is a tiny bit too generic for
being played in concerts. I mean, for every song on ABB you can think of an older song in the
catalogue that has about the same groove and vibe. So, maybe if they have to choose between playing
Rough Justice and a song like All down the line, or between Rain fall down and Miss You or between
This place is empty and You got the silver, the choice is made for the song which proved
its value in concert on earlier occasions.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 28, 2008 11:15

marcovandereijk
I've been thinking about the subject the last couple of days, and maybe the content of A Bigger Bang,
which absolutely rocks and gets me happy every time I hear it, is a tiny bit too generic for
being played in concerts. I mean, for every song on ABB you can think of an older song in the
catalogue that has about the same groove and vibe. So, maybe if they have to choose between playing
Rough Justice and a song like All down the line, or between Rain fall down and Miss You or between
This place is empty and You got the silver, the choice is made for the song which proved
its value in concert on earlier occasions.

I have also have same kind of thoughts in reflecting their neglecting of new material. I think they are more than aware of the nature of their new songs, and knowing that those songs don't add anything to their musical vocabulary. The songs in ABB represent some certain kind of Stones songs they have already done few versions or copies of. For whatever reasons they prefer to play the 'original' ones - perhaps they don't bother really to learn to play these new songs live when they can do almost without rehearsal the old ones. Or perhaps they don't get inspired by these songs, because they feel those being 'by numbers' type of songs. So they prefer play the old ones that once were truely inspirational, and, in most cases, better (and, of course, they are more well-known). BUT they could do a great Rolling Stones show of their post-1989 material (I once did an example what a show like that might look like - they have enough songs to fill the set). I think a lot of to do with the neglection of new songs is that the band don't really find them very interesting or inspiring or good enough (equals the same). If they find they WOULD play those songs. Namely, if they skip all the 1969-1983 semi-standards away, songs like "Live With me", "Monkey Man", "Bitch", "All Down The Line", "Respectable", "She's So Cold","She Was Hot, etc. with which they tend to fill their set lists (but the casual listeners do not really are familiar with), and play songs from the new album I don't think the people would really complain - there would be still enough room for "Honky Tonk Women", "Brown Sugar", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Satisfaction", etc. This was the model they once tend to do with their new material: mix it with the 'old' hits.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-28 11:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 28, 2008 12:26

Well, I finally got a copy of the Saitama DVD earlier this week (ja ja, I know, it's taken a while!). Managed to play a few tracks last night - Sway and JJF. Both seemed like energetic performances on first listen. MJ and KR were full of beans. If I was to pick out one person who didn't seem to be into it, it was Ronnie. I haven't watched the whole show however so maybe that's not an accurate take on the entire show.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2488
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home