Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A next tour without Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman?
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 27, 2008 00:12

Could a hardcore fan get excited again for a next tour without a guest appearance of at least one of them ( not that they (MT or BW) want to)?

Re: A next tour without Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 27, 2008 00:27

I couldn't get excited for a tour since 1975.
Don't shoot me.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 27, 2008 00:31

Well...we've been dealing with no guest apperances from these guys for many years already....what would be different next tour?

I'd love for them to guest for a song or two--just for the novelty of having them all on stage again. The chemistry would spark up again. It'd be incredibly refreshing to watch. Wouldnt' want them to join them for a tour or multiple shows though. Maybe just a couple songs if it EVER were to happen.

............but it won't.

Date: November 27, 2008 00:32

Well, going to Rome, Barcelona (even if cancelled), London, Chicago,Milano, New York, Amsterdam... is always fun

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 27, 2008 02:51

I think D. Jones is an outstanding bass player.

That said the Rock went out of the Roll with the Stones live sound when Bill pulled the pin.

Posted by: rollingmoose ()
Date: November 27, 2008 03:33

It would never happen as Kieth says once you leave you never return

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 27, 2008 04:07

Taylor has been gone for (gasp) 34 years, after 5 years with the Stones. He was great on Ya Ya's, SF, Exile, and great plus obviously more creatively involved in shaping the character of GHS since Keith was rather charred at the time. I thought he was less inspired on IORR - always found his 'classic' solo on TWFNO too pretty, too linear compared to say Winter or CYHMK. I have no particular wish to see him with the Stones now. Wyman was more essential, part of the foundation, shaping the personality of the rhythm section (as McCartney did with Ringo in his band) with Charlie. And he was a Stone for 31 years, issuing inconsequential (mostly) Rhythm Kings albums in the past 14 years. I miss him for sure, but hardly expect a return. And Darryl (or the various others - love Me'Shell whats-her-name on Saint of Me, or the standup player on a few other B2B tracks) is competent-plus, more at home - albeit not a Stone in any sense. I'm used to him and he seems to fit more comfortably each passing year.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 27, 2008 04:55

john i think it's fair to say that taylor was also very creatively involved in 'shaping the character' of some of their biggest and most important immortal hits like BS, HTW (even tho he obviously didn't write any of these songs)...a huge part of SF...all of EOMS, not to mention Ya-Ya's, where taylor was as much of a key lynchpin in the entire affair as any of the other four, in his way, not disputing Keith's generalship of the stage and rhythm at the time...The Stones once again rising to the top in live performance is largely due, imo, to them being smart enough and lucky enough to make the right decision with taylor and immediatley publicize him as a total Stone in all the press etc...
...to me he's as much of a founding father as the guy he replaced for many resaons, tho with an entirely different sensibility and musicality.
as a fan it would be heartwarming to see these kinds of reunions but i put no particular stake in what it might sound like, or if they'd rehearse, or take it seriously...
of course keith and mick were writing consistently great songs, albums full of them during those years, and were a 'true band' being in touch with each other, working a lot, living in relative proximity to each other etc....days long gone.
i am admittedly predjudiced having followed the '72 tour through a whole lotta East Coast stops including D.C. and MSG...I have never heard live rock and roll music like that, ever...before or after...frankly. rather than constrict Keith, I think Taylor set him free...I came away from those shows with HUGE impact from Keith. I don't long for the past. i don't think a meaningful reunion is likely, which is kind of a shame...all those old gators could sit down and jam acoustic or electric sometime, mick can pull out his harmonica...a lot of talent still there...but it's mostly a huge circus when they do it, by necessity or design, which is kind of a missed opportunity for continually reaching inside of themselves for great blues and rock music, imo.

i also agree with an above poster re: When Wyman left, he took most of the 'roll' with him, never really to return with the same creative intensity and hot raging boogie. bill's work is stunning. I'd concentrate on Bill for long periods at the shows I saw back then, and he was incredible. they all were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-27 05:01 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: November 27, 2008 05:00

Yes

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 27, 2008 05:37

What a ludicrous thing to think. Where is the logic in that? The Stones - they are who they are. Neither of those will happen - ever. They were then, this is now, and the future will be what it is then, which will be now at some point. Mick Taylor - DONE. Bill Wyman - DONE.

No guest spots for either - it will never happen. Get over it. Forget about it.

Date: November 27, 2008 05:55

I agree beelyboy that Mick T. was integral to the era they made that string of classic albums - 'Ya Ya's, SF, Exile, & Goats especially, plus other scattered singles, as well as live through '73. The band was at yet another peak and produced at least 2 of their absolute deepest masterpieces. My language in the previous post doesn't say exactly what I meant which is that as Bill was a Stone from '62, his playing shaped from scratch what we know as the classic Stones rhythm section identity. In fact on the early '63 IBC material (Diddley Daddy etc) it sounds to me like Bill, Charlie, Stu, & Brian (all slightly older than Mick & Keith, who were only 19 and slightly tentative, less confident, especially Mick) were clearly the most accomplished musicians in the band. The others would obviously soon catch up, but the 'roll', the sense of swing is already evident at the creation. Wyman's increasing passivity (Keith, then MT and later RW started playing more bass starting in the late 60s) doesn't negate the stamp he left - so subtle, self-effacing, and 'bluesy' yet brooding, adding an almost noirish presence to the records...The band with MT evolved in a very different direction - he's so utterly different as both musician and personality from Brian, despite their deep connection to blues. When Ron joined the sound evolved yet again, as "Some Girls" etc make clear.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 27, 2008 06:48

yeah john, know what you mean, thnx for responding...
i was once able to download mp3 of 'rt. 66' from live from Camden in their very early stages...well, maybe '64....(got it from one of the generous iorr'ers on 'hot stuff' pretty sure)...and was amazed at bill and charlie on that...they just wiped me out. too exciting. they were almost the whole show, seriously. the ascending lines and punctuation perfectly in synch with each other like a roller coaster ride...they walk up to a crescendo that's startling and loose at the same time, then keep on damn pumping...whoa....that group started in small dance clubs and the propulsion of that rhythm section even so very early on, remains amazing to me. that's what got those asses off those chairs methinks.

Date: November 27, 2008 06:54

I used to have that boot...Recalls ep "Got Live" (or December Children's closing track) 'I'm Movin' On', the intensity and density Wall-Of-Wyman creates with Charlie driving home and Brian adding his slide brush strokes. Alright! Alright, Alright!.....

Date: November 27, 2008 09:23

I just remember how excited fans were when there were rumours that MT would be a guest at the Astoria and BW at the O2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-27 09:29 by Harm.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2008 10:05

I agree with Beelyboy.

To bring Bill Wyman onstage it is a difficult not thanks to the egos of the Stones but also thanks to conditions Bill have set: it needs to be something kind of 'special' event - a last concert ever or something like that. I am sure Taylor could be a guest anywhere, anytime, but Mick and Keith seem to have a strange attitude towards their own history, and acknowledging a certain person that who might have had something remarkable to do in their long journey, is not their cup of tea.

Talking about the 'roll' element what is missing nowadays I would say that Darryl Jones would be fired if would even try to play like Bill does here:

- Doxa

Date: November 27, 2008 10:37

john r
I have no particular wish to see him with the Stones now. Wyman was more essential, part of the foundation, shaping the personality of the rhythm section (as McCartney did with Ringo in his band) with Charlie.

I must say I totally disagree,as far as the term rhytm section is inolved:

Listen to gyyyo,stf,exile,bootleggs,Iorr, the rythm guitar parts and the fills Taylor played were very essential and refined..Taylor was much more than only a splendid solo player:he was an essential part of the ryhtm section too.

Shure he could be replaced,just like Bill.

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: November 27, 2008 10:57

He is still a better player then Ronnie Wood ! .

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: November 27, 2008 11:47

Well it would be icing on the cake but.. I don't really care that much. I think Taylor has a chance of happening, but it's like they're both thinking: let THEM call ME. And Wyman has is never gonna happen.

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: November 27, 2008 11:57

Amsterdamned
Don't shoot me.

What are you doing on this site then???

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 27, 2008 12:14

Amen to Beelyboy's first post!

i don't think a meaningful reunion is likely, which is kind of a shame...all those old gators could sit down and jam acoustic or electric sometime, mick can pull out his harmonica...a lot of talent still there...but it's mostly a huge circus when they do it, by necessity or design, which is kind of a missed opportunity for continually reaching inside of themselves for great blues and rock music, imo.

-Agree, it's very unlikely. Still though I can't help myself for sometimes dreaming about them along with other friends making a record together. Not with new songs, but with blues, bluegrass, contry, and soul tunes made by people that inspired them as a band through the whole career. Maybe an opportunity to honour their ideals like Muddy Waters, at their upcomeing 50th anniversaryspinning smiley sticking its tongue out -They could even tour without Wyman, and Taylor as long as they bring them on stage for a coupple of shows and (of course) record it for release.smileys with beer

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: November 27, 2008 12:22

Doxa

- Doxa

Yeaaaah!! @#$%& hot!! Thanks for reminding me of that one.

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 27, 2008 12:30

Yeaaaah!! @#$%& hot!! Thanks for reminding me of that one.[/quote]

-I'll second that, and b.t.w. they all play brilliant!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 27, 2008 13:43

Great version of WTWCD indeed. I always find Jaggers style of guitar playing so strange to see. Like his right is so tense, i think it would sound really strange if you'd only hear his guitar part.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: November 27, 2008 18:20

pgarof
Amsterdamned
Don't shoot me.

What are you doing on this site then???

Following the latest news and old news that I didn't know before.
But a tour? Ive seen the Stones in '73 and 75..just small puppets in a huge arena('75).

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 27, 2008 18:30

It ain't worth visiting Rome, since Nero burnt it.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 27, 2008 18:59

I would rather see wyman guest than taylor, yes both would be great but i feel more close and loyal to bill since he is a 30 plus year man, but hey thats just me

Date: November 27, 2008 19:20

open-g
It ain't worth visiting Rome, since Nero burnt it.tongue sticking out smiley

Yes,burning with "nero" is certainly a mess.
Let's "toast"spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: November 27, 2008 19:37

I'd love Bill to come home to the band for good. I misds him and his bass playing. He has the roll every bass player should have!

Taylor was good, no doubt about it, but nowadays he is just drunk and long long gone. Ronnie is the guitar player in the Stones with Keith, and I would not want it to change ever!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2008 20:17

Niklas

Taylor was good, no doubt about it, but nowadays he is just drunk and long long gone. Ronnie is the guitar player in the Stones with Keith, and I would not want it to change ever!

Taylor could be drunk, but of course Ronnie "the straight" Wood doesn't hit the bottle at all!!!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Date: November 27, 2008 21:36

I got into the Stones when Taylor was a member, but I disagree he's a "better" guitarist than Ron Wood. Yes he has extraordinary technique and fluidity, and his contributions are undeniable. But Wood is a great artist. Last night I listened w friends to some Faces, and Faces era Rod, especially. Wood may not have Taylor's technical virtuosity, and in recent years he's obviously become marginalized on the records. But his musical sensibility, personality, vision, is amazing. Listen again as I just did to "Gasoline Alley". Wood was always the consummate collaborator (Rod, Lane, Bernard Fowler, Keith, etc etc), and on GA his sensitivity to Rod at his own creative peak is to a great extent why the record is a masterpiece. And his control of mood and color, from the delicacy and detail, and intimacy, of 'Lady Day' to the crunch and funk of 'You're My Girl' are extraordinary. It's great to hear the humor in their dialogue on 'It's All Over Now,' but he doesn't usually get notice for creating a dazzling and original (suggesting Arabic or mid-Eastern music) ambience amd drama on 'Cut Across Shorty' and 'Lady Day.' And listen to his guitar shiver at the end of each line, perfectly illustrating the ache and vulnerability of 'Jo's Lament'. As with Rod, Wood too makes GA a tour de force, maybe his greatest record to date as of 1970. AAnd so keenly attuned to Rod's phrasing Wood comfortably comments, adds delicious phrases and humor to the rollicking, rocking, 'Its All Over Now' - driving, dynamic, pure pleasure and full of detail yet somehow loose and even conversational. Wood here LISTENS on his feet. And what he and Rod achieve (abetted by a perfect supporting cast) is a great example of Burroughs' concept of "The Third Mind" (2 thinkers, or collaborators - Mick/Keith, for example - working closely become something more, a 'third' mind that achieves things the individuals likely could not. Finally, listen for the details! I use GA as an example, for a wondeful Keith Ron telepathy go back to 'Down In The Hole' pr the live (Sucking) 'When The Whip Comes Down.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2131
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home