Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Teach your kids!
Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: November 19, 2008 21:49

My little girls was listening to something on the Disney channel, she said she love this certain song. I asked her why? They said they like the beat. I said what about the groove? what about the bridge? what about the arrangement. They
looked at me like I had 3 heads, I played bitch for them and pointed to the wall where my 4 friends are on the couch mounted on the wall. They said them
old guys played that. I said honey we all get old.

Re: Teach your kids!
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 19, 2008 22:05

sonyzzz
we all get old.

No matter what you see or what your hear.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: November 19, 2008 22:05

did anyone have to teach you to like the stones?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 19, 2008 22:09

Bitch...not bad but I would've tried Slave.
A groove no small child can ignore...

Date: November 19, 2008 22:10

deuce

That's an excellent point.

Also, think of it from a kids perspective - who wants to listen to the stuff their parents are playing.

Date: November 19, 2008 22:16

Munichhilton

Same for Star Star - try that one next.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: November 19, 2008 22:20

deuce
no, but I do teach my pupils at secondary school to like the Stones. Tomorrow I am taking them to the Let It Bleed photo exhibition in Amsterdam, Ethan Russell's pix of the 1969 tour. I showed Gimme Shelter in class, now it is time to watch the pix.

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Date: November 19, 2008 22:27

the juf - are you Pauline?

Nice website.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 19, 2008 22:44

But why did you mount 4 friends and a couch on a wall? No wonder your kids thought you had 3 heads.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: November 19, 2008 22:46

i'm just saying, exposing them is one thing. but telling them to like them is absurd.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 19, 2008 22:47

CindyC
deuce

That's an excellent point.

Also, think of it from a kids perspective - who wants to listen to the stuff their parents are playing.

heck...it's not like the Stones are equivalent to Barry Manilow or Lawrence Welk......If my parents had listened to Stones & Beatles I probably would've given them (my parents) more respect. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-20 14:19 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 19, 2008 22:59

My 7 year old wants to go to Graceland for his birthday. I think he's on the right track!

Date: November 19, 2008 23:02

Lukester
But why did you mount 4 friends and a couch on a wall? No wonder your kids thought you had 3 heads.

Hahaha - i was thinking that too!!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 19, 2008 23:04

kovach
My 7 year old wants to go to Graceland for his birthday. I think he's on the right track!

Absolutely the right track!
Wait until they finish working on the 'new graceland' experience though.
Its all a bit of a let down right now.
Not in the best part of town and all.

Trust me Elvis would have moved if he hadn't died.

Date: November 19, 2008 23:04

CindyC
the juf - are you Pauline?

yep, Cindy. thanks for your compliment.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 19, 2008 23:44

I said what about the groove? what about the bridge? what about the arrangement?

I've been loving the Stones for 45 years and I still don't think I'd know what to say if someone talked to me like that! With music, loving it comes first - you learn the technical stuff later, and sometimes not at all.

I can remember our (classical) music teacher, sometime in the 1960s, asking us 14-year-olds to bring in our own records to play, and being totally baffled because none of us could explain WHY we found the Beatles and the Stones so fascinating. On the other hand, we studied various pieces of classical music for O-Level: by the end of the course I could dissect, explain and "appreciate" them very convincingly (I passed that exam) but still there were some I loved and some I didn't, and being able to talk intelligently about them didn't make that much difference.

After forgetting all the details you need to learn to pass your exams, I think THE lesson that I learned from O-Level music is - don't dismiss anything at the first hearing. Listen and listen again. So if your kids do begin to love the Stones, it won't be because you have taught them about arrangements, or what is a bridge and why - it will be because they have listened to the music enough for it to work its way into their affections.

(By the way, they'll probably never actually ADMIT that they like anything from Dad's record collection - would you have done, at their age?)

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: November 20, 2008 00:04

Tell them old guys made the old music , if the old music wasn't there , there wouldn't be any jonas brothers shit these days.
At that age , how would they understand.
My 10 year old sister also loves that stuff from disney channel , but the little boys wouldn't understand anything , she doesn't care about music , i've even taken my guitar with me to her room and played for her trying to stop the jonas shit from the TV , but she doesn't care in anyway , she would just say they're a lot more handsome than me , and that they're just amazing.
No band has any amazing thing on them , it's the good music they make that give you special and amazing feelings.
It's always the same , maybe some of you right here on IORR discovered the stones that way , cuz it was just cool to listen to them on the 60's , it's the same now , small boyz love disney channel cuz it's just cool to listen that music.
The only difference is the stones changed and they really worked hard and enjoyed their music through the years and never left it , and still they do.
These Disney shit won't mean anything to the little boyz and girlz in 4 years or so.You don't have to prove anything to the small guys .

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 20, 2008 00:56

the juf
deuce
no, but I do teach my pupils at secondary school to like the Stones. Tomorrow I am taking them to the Let It Bleed photo exhibition in Amsterdam, Ethan Russell's pix of the 1969 tour. I showed Gimme Shelter in class, now it is time to watch the pix.

You teach them to like the Stones ?
Impossible,you just can show them a path to get in touch somehow with the music,the past,background knowledge,simply some basics.
But it cannot be taught as let´s say math or latin.
How do you know that you succeeded ?
It´s nothing wrong to tell them about,but as a purpose : to like the Stones ?
Wrong

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 20, 2008 03:19

Bitch, Star Star?! Good songs with nice lyrics to teach your kids ;-)

My farther "taught" me the stones by just playing it at home. Only the first couple of records, Aftermath was the "newest" one he had. I still think it is the most exilirating music there is, just awesome R&B! You get turned on by music you hear, i think that is the only way.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 20, 2008 04:48

My 11 year old son likes Beatles, Who, Doors, LedZep...

but NOT the Stones!
He'll learn

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: November 20, 2008 13:08

CindyC
[Also, think of it from a kids perspective - who wants to listen to the stuff their parents are playing.

Cindy it's a good point, but there is so much less new, good music around at present for kids to rebel with. I find it odd that the music coming from both my son's rooms is music I listened to twenty-something years ago.

Sadly, the older one liked the Stones better before he saw them at the 02, he now prefers the Who...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 20, 2008 13:51

deuce
i'm just saying, exposing them is one thing. but telling them to like them is absurd.

I agree 100%.

I remember around 1989, one of the comic strips in the paper (can't remember which one) some balding 40-something dad was trying to get his Gen-X kid to like The Doors. Frothing at the mouth he would badger his son for a week about how cool, hip and dangerous the music of his age was.

Please, dads out there, don't embarrass yourselves!
eye rolling smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 20, 2008 14:17

I recently purchased this CD for our forthcoming bundle of joy....

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: November 20, 2008 15:18

Munichhilton
Then, in a few days, the next subject would be the flowers and the bees ...

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 20, 2008 16:57

sweet neo con

So you and your wife are expecting a baby? Congratulations my Milwaukee friend.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 20, 2008 18:05

mexicostone
Tell them old guys made the old music , if the old music wasn't there , there wouldn't be any jonas brothers shit these days...quote]

Those old guys have a lot to answer for ;-)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 20, 2008 18:07

Lukester
sweet neo con

Yeah congrats SNC...But why lullaby versions of the Stones. Start blasting Exile right into the womb.smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: November 20, 2008 18:46

shortfatfanny
Impossible,you just can show them a path to get in touch somehow with the music,the past,background knowledge,simply some basics.
Wrong

with all respect sff, but where has your sense of humour gone? it was meant as a joke. of course you can't teach children to like the Stones.
but: I did take my students out to the Let It Bleed exhibition, after watching Gimme Shelter in class.
My students know all about my passion for the Stones. It's something I share with a lot of them , even with some of their parents too. We watch the Stones, I make them listen to bootlegs/interesting recordings(not only Stones). Furthermore, I invite them to all my Stones related activities. I invited Chris Jagger to do a clinic at my school, some 20 students took part. Some students, mostly musos themselves, are into the Stones and the likes of Hendrix, LedZep, Dylan, etc.. It is great fun; I have never had any complaints. BTW, these clinics are a source of inspiration to these youngsters. Tim Ries, Bernard Fowler and Blondie Chaplin have also offered their expertise at my school.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 20, 2008 19:06

the juf
shortfatfanny
Wrong

with all respect sff, but where has your sense of humour gone? it was meant as a joke. of course you can't teach children to like the Stones.
but: I did take my students out to the Let It Bleed exhibition, after watching Gimme Shelter in class.
My students know all about my passion for the Stones. It's something I share with a lot of them , even with some of their parents too. We watch the Stones, I make them listen to bootlegs/interesting recordings(not only Stones). Furthermore, I invite them to all my Stones related activities. I invited Chris Jagger to do a clinic at my school, some 20 students took part. Some students, mostly musos themselves, are into the Stones and the likes of Hendrix, LedZep, Dylan, etc.. It is great fun; I have never had any complaints. BTW, these clinics are a source of inspiration to these youngsters. Tim Ries, Bernard Fowler and Blondie Chaplin have also offered their expertise at my school.

Passing back tons of respect you see me crawling in the dust of shame...,juf.
Wasn´t obviously my best day, I apologize.
And thanks for the helpful posts concerning Marianne Faithfull eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-20 19:16 by shortfatfanny.

Date: November 20, 2008 19:24

Lukester
sweet neo con

Thanks Lukester and SweetCharmedLife!

Yep....due date is early April (no...it's not an April Fool's joke).
First baby. It's going to be a girl!

Actually my wife bought the CD.

I guess it's only right...since Jen & I got engaged at the
Stones B2Babylon show in Madison.

Hey SCL...I guess we'll have to ease her into TURD ON THE RUN (Exile)...
...just planting the seeds with the lullaby versions...but we have strapped
the AKG headphones onto mom's belly for some Stones & Beatles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-20 19:28 by sweet neo con.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home