Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: candidate for the worst album
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 19, 2008 07:08

had the chance to listen to chinese democracy by "guns n roses". well he should call it the "axl rose desaster orchestra". it's just horrible! completely tasteless, overloaded and very poor songs. sounds like something in between "queen for beginners" and "music for figurskating". 15 years he was working on it. 15 years to destroy the name he stole from his former friends. what a pri.ck!

Re: OT: candidate for the worst album
Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: November 19, 2008 07:09

who really cares?

OLDKR

Date: November 19, 2008 07:10

oldkr
who really cares?

OLDKR

you obviously

Date: November 19, 2008 08:41

guitarbastard
had the chance to listen to chinese democracy by "guns n roses". well he should call it the "axl rose desaster orchestra". it's just horrible! completely tasteless, overloaded and very poor songs. sounds like something in between "queen for beginners" and "music for figurskating". 15 years he was working on it. 15 years to destroy the name he stole from his former friends. what a pri.ck!

i like it a lot but it did not take 15 years to make this album. it took 9. started in 1998 and completed in 2007. actually completed around 2005 but bumblefoot quit and then ron thal was hired and axl had to remove some of bucketheads parts and add ron thal. also axl did not steal the name from anyone. axl and izzy stradlin formed the band and later slash, duff and steven were added later

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 19, 2008 09:43

I thought this was going to be a thread about what album we think is the worst. I would vote for anything Hootie and the Blowfish released. Without a doubt one of the worst acts ever! Boring frat music that is vaccuos and vapid. TERRIBLE!

Date: November 19, 2008 13:09

keefriffhard4life
guitarbastard

i like it a lot but it did not take 15 years to make this album. it took 9. started in 1998 and completed in 2007. actually completed around 2005 but bumblefoot quit and then ron thal was hired and axl had to remove some of bucketheads parts and add ron thal. also axl did not steal the name from anyone. axl and izzy stradlin formed the band and later slash, duff and steven were added later

well, doesnt matter whether it took 5, 10 or 15 years. it's sooo bad, i dont even find words for it. read slashs bio and you'll find out that your historical facts (about the name and the forming of the band) are wrong! and you'll find out that axl is a complete dic.khead who destroyed the band.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 19, 2008 13:17

a shame - but not particularily suprising.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 19, 2008 13:36

Some huge disappointments - coming on the back of strong albums - have been - Stones - Emotional Rescue, Zepp - Presence, The Who - Who By Numbers, The Clash - Cut The Crap, Wings - Wildlife, John Lennon - Some Time In New York City, Pink Floyd - The Final Cut, Aerosmith - Night In The Ruts, Keith - Main Offender (sorry but it just sounds unfinished to me), Bob Marley and the Wailers - Survival, Deep Purple - Fireball, Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys, Brice Springsteen - Human Touch/Lucky Town, Dylan - Planet Waves, Elton John - Caribou, Stevie Wonder - The Secret Life Of Plants, Free - At Last, Neil Young - Tonight's The Night, The Band - Cahoots, Van Morrison - Street Choir.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 19, 2008 15:40

Silver Dagger
Some huge disappointments - coming on the back of strong albums - have been - Stones - Emotional Rescue, Zepp - Presence, The Who - Who By Numbers, The Clash - Cut The Crap, Wings - Wildlife, John Lennon - Some Time In New York City, Pink Floyd - The Final Cut, Aerosmith - Night In The Ruts, Keith - Main Offender (sorry but it just sounds unfinished to me), Bob Marley and the Wailers - Survival, Deep Purple - Fireball, Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys, Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch/Lucky Town, Dylan - Planet Waves, Elton John - Caribou, Stevie Wonder - The Secret Life Of Plants, Free - At Last, Neil Young - Tonight's The Night, The Band - Cahoots, Van Morrison - Street Choir.

maybe - but those 'disappointments' by major acts are still almost all infinitely better than the 'best' albums by 99% of other artists.

Some interesting choices, there - many people (myself included) would regard "Tonights The night" as maybe Neil Young's best ever album. I'd rate Who By Numbers, Main Offender, Band of Gypsys and Planet waves as strong records too.

If picking a anticlimactic Neil Young or Dylan album which followed a really good one, I'd maybe go for Hawks & Doves (which followed Rust Never Sleeps) for Neil and Under The Red Sky (which followed Oh Mercy) for Bob.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 19, 2008 16:03

"The Who - Who By Numbers"

Eh? One of their best. Name a bad song?

Date: November 19, 2008 16:48

ablett

Are you kidding me. I saw 'em about 5 times on that tour Ablett. Compared to Who's Next, Who Sell Out, Tommy, Live At Leeds, Quadrophenia it's shite. It should have been a solo Townshend album. Any of the tracks from 5 onwards would have struggled to get on an earlier Who album. Sorry mate but the first signs of a great band in decline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-19 16:56 by Silver Dagger.

Date: November 19, 2008 16:55

Gazza
Silver Dagger
Some huge disappointments - coming on the back of strong albums - have been - Stones - Emotional Rescue, Zepp - Presence, The Who - Who By Numbers, The Clash - Cut The Crap, Wings - Wildlife, John Lennon - Some Time In New York City, Pink Floyd - The Final Cut, Aerosmith - Night In The Ruts, Keith - Main Offender (sorry but it just sounds unfinished to me), Bob Marley and the Wailers - Survival, Deep Purple - Fireball, Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys, Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch/Lucky Town, Dylan - Planet Waves, Elton John - Caribou, Stevie Wonder - The Secret Life Of Plants, Free - At Last, Neil Young - Tonight's The Night, The Band - Cahoots, Van Morrison - Street Choir.

maybe - but those 'disappointments' by major acts are still almost all infinitely better than the 'best' albums by 99% of other artists.

Some interesting choices, there - many people (myself included) would regard "Tonights The night" as maybe Neil Young's best ever album. I'd rate Who By Numbers, Main Offender, Band of Gypsys and Planet waves as strong records too.

If picking a anticlimactic Neil Young or Dylan album which followed a really good one, I'd maybe go for Hawks & Doves (which followed Rust Never Sleeps) for Neil and Under The Red Sky (which followed Oh Mercy) for Bob.

I know some people like Tonight's The Night but it sends me to sleep. I think there's a lack of tunefulness on it and it's too dirge like which is fair enough given the dark subject matter. I guess whatever floats your boat. For me it's sandwiched between 2 masterpieces - On The Beach and Zuma.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 19, 2008 17:01

"Are you kidding me. I saw 'em about 5 times on that tour Ablett. Compared to Who's Next, Who Sell Out, Tommy, Live At Leeds, Quadrophenia it's shite. It should have been a solo Townshend album. Any of the tracks from 5 onwards would have struggled to get on an earlier Who album. Sorry mate but the first signs of a great band in decline."

The doesn't make it in a 'worst of' category. It just makes it not quite as good as the big 5 LP's. If thats the way you judge things then what on earth do you make of most of the post exile stones albums. Who's Next is certainly not duff....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 19, 2008 17:10

Silver Dagger
Some huge disappointments - coming on the back of strong albums - have been - Stones - Emotional Rescue, Zepp - Presence, The Who - Who By Numbers, The Clash - Cut The Crap, Wings - Wildlife, John Lennon - Some Time In New York City, Pink Floyd - The Final Cut, Aerosmith - Night In The Ruts, Keith - Main Offender (sorry but it just sounds unfinished to me), Bob Marley and the Wailers - Survival, Deep Purple - Fireball, Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys, Brice Springsteen - Human Touch/Lucky Town, Dylan - Planet Waves, Elton John - Caribou, Stevie Wonder - The Secret Life Of Plants, Free - At Last, Neil Young - Tonight's The Night, The Band - Cahoots, Van Morrison - Street Choir.

The albums you listed may be a disappointment to some ( or not ),but it doesn´t fit
to the "worst album" thread.

Anyway,the upcoming G´n´R new album was meant and not another "WURST" thread.

Date: November 19, 2008 17:11

ablett
"Are you kidding me. I saw 'em about 5 times on that tour Ablett. Compared to Who's Next, Who Sell Out, Tommy, Live At Leeds, Quadrophenia it's shite. It should have been a solo Townshend album. Any of the tracks from 5 onwards would have struggled to get on an earlier Who album. Sorry mate but the first signs of a great band in decline."

The doesn't make it in a 'worst of' category. It just makes it not quite as good as the big 5 LP's. If thats the way you judge things then what on earth do you make of most of the post exile stones albums. Who's Next is certainly not duff....

Who's Next not duff? I know that. I thought we were talking about Who By Numbers. Anyway...

No, it (Who By Numbers) isn't duff but it's not one I ever play anymore. And these days I hardly listen to the Stones' studio albums post Tattoo You. Not whole albums in their entirety. Their catalogue is so huge that there's enough entertainment in their pre 81 releases. Especially with all the boots out now.
I love both these bands but I'm not one of those fans who has to stick up for everything they've ever recorded.

Date: November 19, 2008 17:12

shortfatfanny
Silver Dagger

The albums you listed may be a disappointment to some ( or not ),but it doesn´t fit

Sorry Fanny. Case of IORR piracy. I hijacked yer thread and stand accused.

Date: November 19, 2008 17:59

Silver Dagger
ablett

Are you kidding me. I saw 'em about 5 times on that tour Ablett. Compared to Who's Next, Who Sell Out, Tommy, Live At Leeds, Quadrophenia it's shite. It should have been a solo Townshend album. Any of the tracks from 5 onwards would have struggled to get on an earlier Who album. Sorry mate but the first signs of a great band in decline.

Some of Pete's solo albums (Empty Glass/White City) are better than any Who album post 1975.

Who by Numbers is my 3rd fave Who studio album after Whos Next and Quadrophenia. Great record.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 19, 2008 18:17

Silver Dagger
shortfatfanny
Silver Dagger

Sorry Fanny. Case of IORR piracy. I hijacked yer thread and stand accused.

Eh,it´s not my thread and I was just wondering about disappointment towards "worst".

How would you classify ER to DW,or Presence to In through the Outdoor or
Who by Numbers to Face Dances ?

No,you aren´t accused,just a bit OT in the OT,OK ?

Date: November 19, 2008 18:41

Sorry Fanny. Case of IORR piracy. I hijacked yer thread and stand accused.[/quote]

Eh,it´s not my thread and I was just wondering about disappointment towards "worst".

How would you classify ER to DW,or Presence to In through the Outdoor or
Who by Numbers to Face Dances ?

No,you aren´t accused,just a bit OT in the OT,OK ?[/quote]

Just trying to push the OT boundaries a bit. It's that kind of a day.

Date: November 19, 2008 18:45

Some of Pete's solo albums (Empty Glass/White City) are better than any Who album post 1975.

Who by Numbers is my 3rd fave Who studio album after Whos Next and Quadrophenia. Great record.[/quote]

Agree with you entirely. Love Empty Glass. Even some of the stuff on Sthe Scoop series beggars belief why it wasn't released. Football Fugue is one of my faves. Experimental or what? Surprised you rate Who By Numbers over Sell Out which for me is their best album. Again, whatever floats yer boat.

Date: November 19, 2008 18:48

I'm just a miserable old bas*ard, mate - hence my liking for Who By Numbers, Tonights the Night and Blood on the Tracks.

1975 was definitely a year for the dark side....

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 19, 2008 19:03

Dissapointing albums:

RHCP - By the Way
Black Crowes - Lions
Rolling Stones - Shine A Light
Mick Jagger - Goddess In the Doorway
Solomon Burke - Like A Fire

All albums I thought weren't nearly as good as I had hoped... Still better then most of the 'popular' releases, like the worst album by a icon this year, Madonna's Hard Candy.

Anyone ever listened to Seasick Steve? The album title alone, 'I started out with nothing and still have much of it left', is worth the money.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 19, 2008 19:26

No more "the Worst" threads please.

Date: November 19, 2008 20:12

guitarbastard
keefriffhard4life
guitarbastard

well, doesnt matter whether it took 5, 10 or 15 years. it's sooo bad, i dont even find words for it. read slashs bio and you'll find out that your historical facts (about the name and the forming of the band) are wrong! and you'll find out that axl is a complete dic.khead who destroyed the band.

i've read slashs bio and nothing i said was wrong. guns n roses name comes from l.a. guns and hollywood rose. slash was in an early incarnation of hollywood rose but was not in the very first lineup that called themselves guns n roses (although this first lineup never played a gig)

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 19, 2008 22:56

Anything by Journey would qualify as worst album.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 19, 2008 23:28

I always thought GnR was a flat band with a painfully bad lead vocalist anyway. I thought they sorta represented a perfect example of the depreciation of rock and roll, as in, a law of diminishing returns when one band is influenced by another, who is influenced by another, and so on. They were being called "refreshing" and a "return to real r+r," but I found them to be a flat and watered down mix of Sabbath/Aerosmith influences. The guitars were muddy and the drums were indistinguishable from all the other hair bands. And then there were all those cheesy-ass guitar solos. Refreshing? Try bland, old, uninteresting, even bad. They were like the McDonald's Coffee of rock and roll. It was awful, but everybody kept buying it anyway. There was definitely worse stuff out there (like all the hair bands! but GnR were looking a lot like those guys anyway, and sounding a bit like them too), but not much worse.

The popularity of those early GnR albums seemed to represent the bottom of the 80's rock drought. "If this is 'refreshing,'" I thought,"there is nowhere to go but up from here." In a few years, all those hair bands became nostalgia acts and it would be over. Axl and his stupid antics became a big joke. Now GnR is back... I feel like the music world just found a petrified poop behind the couch from a long-dead, old, nagging, smelly, noisy tomcat. Hurray, GnR left us a holiday treat.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 20, 2008 00:58

Tate
I always thought GnR was a flat band with a painfully bad lead vocalist anyway. I thought they sorta represented a perfect example of the depreciation of rock and roll, as in, a law of diminishing returns when one band is influenced by another, who is influenced by another, and so on. They were being called "refreshing" and a "return to real r+r," but I found them to be a flat and watered down mix of Sabbath/Aerosmith influences. The guitars were muddy and the drums were indistinguishable from all the other hair bands. And then there were all those cheesy-ass guitar solos. Refreshing? Try bland, old, uninteresting, even bad. They were like the McDonald's Coffee of rock and roll. It was awful, but everybody kept buying it anyway. There was definitely worse stuff out there (like all the hair bands! but GnR were looking a lot like those guys anyway, and sounding a bit like them too), but not much worse.

The popularity of those early GnR albums seemed to represent the bottom of the 80's rock drought. "If this is 'refreshing,'" I thought,"there is nowhere to go but up from here." In a few years, all those hair bands became nostalgia acts and it would be over. Axl and his stupid antics became a big joke. Now GnR is back... I feel like the music world just found a petrified poop behind the couch from a long-dead, old, nagging, smelly, noisy tomcat. Hurray, GnR left us a holiday treat.

I really don't think I could have put this any better.
A horrible parrot squawk of a singer and a guitarist who was no better than any number of long forgotten guitarists from any number of long forgotten seventies bands.
Guns 'n' Roses? more like Bums and Posers!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: November 20, 2008 01:48

mr edward
Dissapointing albums:

RHCP - By the Way

Christ..thats probably one of my two or three favourite albums of this decade, and its not as if I was a big fan before I heard it

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: November 20, 2008 01:50

mr edward
Dissapointing albums:

RHCP - By the Way
Black Crowes - Lions
Rolling Stones - Shine A Light
Mick Jagger - Goddess In the Doorway
Solomon Burke - Like A Fire

All albums I thought weren't nearly as good as I had hoped... Still better then most of the 'popular' releases, like the worst album by a icon this year, Madonna's Hard Candy.

Anyone ever listened to Seasick Steve? The album title alone, 'I started out with nothing and still have much of it left', is worth the money.

Seasick Steve is F'n amazing!!!!

Date: November 20, 2008 05:15

Tate

oh dear, what can one respond to this? or where to start??? i think we open rock n roll chapter one. the basics ;-)
appetite for destruction has nothing, zero to do with what you wrote. sorry, thats not a matter of taste, your points are just ridicolous. just watch a vid of that aera and if you dont feel how powerfull and intense that was, you truly dont understand what rock n roll is all about! since the stones in 1972 there has not been many bands getting to the core of r'n r! guns n roses certainly did. punk n @#$%& street rock n roll!!!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1192
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home