Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Baby Break It Down
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 18, 2008 21:50

t2
I've always loved the lesser known album tracks like this, no use in crying, all about you, melody, must be hell, too tight, etc. Call them fillers or whatever, but it's the stones being the stones to me.

For me the guitar work on Baby Brake It Down epitomizes the "Ancient Art of Weaving" that Keith & Ronnie have (or had) perfected. You just can't tell who's playing what on this unless you listen really, really carefully. I think that "Ancient Art" was lost on A Bigger Bang.

Great track.

Agree 100%, t2. Nice groove.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 18, 2008 22:28

Barn Owl

In this respect, Voodoo Lounge (like Exile) is an album where the the sum of the parts far outweighs the whole, and one which they were more than happy to show off in large chunks on the subsequent tours.

I repeat; it's a classic.

So stop theorising and take a listen.

Wrexham for the cup!!!

Well said, I gotta agree.

...and listen to the pedal steel.
love it.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 18, 2008 22:31

It is their most organic sounding album as far as anything post-Black And Blue goes. That's about as raw as you can get - sans the keyboard tunes. ABB is in the same vein - very raw. Voodoo has all the elements, I think, used well. Some of the songs are a bit odd here and there in terms of being songs (New Faces, Blinded By Rainbows, which, lyrics aside, is a fantastic song). I think BBID is of that as well - fantastic tune, just a bit toppish with the lyrics.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 19, 2008 02:24

i really love this track; i thought a lot of their voodoo period showed a fresh and newly awakened approach with lots of colors and grooves...it is a beautiful song
i love the groove and percussion ambiance that moves this one gently but distinctly on down the line. this one cuts to the heart for me

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: November 19, 2008 02:34

Beelyboy
i really love this track; i thought a lot of their voodoo period showed a fresh and newly awakened approach with lots of colors and grooves...it is a beautiful song
i love the groove and percussion ambiance that moves this one gently but distinctly on down the line. this one cuts to the heart for me

Perfectly put Beelyboy.

Thanks for reviewing this great song so spot on!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 19, 2008 03:25

My Dear Owl,

I see that you jest not.

"So stop theorising and take a listen."

It's the listening that informed the brain. I think it cos i feel it. I find it (from the heart) painful to listen too. everything measured - and such, for the most part, awful lyrics.
Exile has a sense of spontaneity about it.

Actually there is one I quite like - reasonably spontaneous and unaffected - Mean Disposition - but it's not on my album. I hear there's some pretty good stuff on Stew, or at least some versions less tainted by Don Was. How and why he took all the life out of Charlie's drums is amazing/criminal. And (I think) you know I don't feel/think that Darryl's on-the-beat approach suits the Stones. Infact he's clueless wrt to the feel of their sound.

I'll leave it there. Thank goodness your name is not Mathjis!

Wrexham. Indeed. Or Histon.

And I learned today that Alastair 'letter from America' Cooke was a Lancashire lad - born in Salford and schooled/brought up in Blackpool.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 19, 2008 04:39

I like BBID... can't understand anyone who doesn't love the vibrant quality (one or two duff tracks aside) of Voodoo Lounge.

Same with ABB. They're as good as it's going to get.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 19, 2008 19:11

I'm sorry to say that I think this is one of the weakest tracks from the VL album.
It might be only rock n roll but I don't like it.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 19, 2008 19:32

Sorry--Its just a filler imo...iT GOES ON JUST A little bit too long.
i think VL may have the most fillers of any stones albums..

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 19, 2008 23:08

When I first listened to VL the day it came out, I loved this tune. It remains my favorite on the album. Good to know there are others who like it as well. A lot of the Stones music post-81 has sounded contrived, and this tune is clearly not. Great vocal harmonies, guitar driven slow/ moderate groove, and yes, love the slide.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 19, 2008 23:21

This one sounded very very ordinary the first time I played VL, but it has grown on me more each time I hear it. And I love the Tim Ries version.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 20, 2008 00:21

It's one of the best ones on Voodoo Lounge IMO. The song has a mood that really suited Rolling Stones of the mid 90s....an flowing and honest feeling. I feel the same about Mean Disposition, Sweethearts Together and Jump On Top Of Me
Those songs are so much nicer to listen to than the strained ones like You Got Me Rocking, Sparks Will Fly, Brand New Car...etc - hmrf

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 20, 2008 00:22

Forgot to say: Nicely put there, Beelyboy!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 20, 2008 02:49

I like what cc said - decent track buried in a flabby stretch of the album. The good elements are there: a catchy & endearing chorus, nice instrumental touches like steel guitar. But overall it is lacking. Dull, dull, dull lyrics; a riff but no "hook"; too hard to be a ballad and too soft to be a rocker. It just seems like a song they never really finished and finally said "oh well, it's not actually that good but maybe with a few pretty instrumental flourishes and a good chorus people will never notice".

All the same, as far as filler goes (which this song IS), you could do a lot worse. I call it "Grade-A filler".

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: November 20, 2008 06:18

my favorite track on the album. First time i heard it was on a beach on the island of Santorini, summer 1994, bought the cassette in Athens and listened to it on my walkman, remember those . . .
I fell in love with the song the moment i heard it. At the time of first listening, i remember thinking it was a new sound yet strangely familiar, the chorus and mixing of the vocals, that high/low thing is a joy to listen to.
For me its these "filler" tracks that make the stones special . . . i hardly ever play or listen to any "hits" anymore just what i hear on the radio, if i do play the boys at home or in the car its album tracks like this. Good post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-20 06:24 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 22, 2009 01:01

VL sound to me as if it was released at the same time than ghs, iorr and bb. This song is typical from Keith, and should hace been recorded with him on vocals and with Jagger's harmony vocals.
VL sounds classic

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 22, 2009 01:03

I love the understated guitar riff on this tune - not filler at all.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 22, 2009 02:41

I love this track, great riff and groove.
VL is their best album post Tattoo You by a long shot.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 22, 2009 05:15

Loved this song the minute I heard it the morning it came out in the summer of '94. Definitely my favorite off of VL.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 22, 2009 06:08

A nice riff, and the song hinges on a great chorus ... but it always felt a little unfinished to me. Probably goes on a little too long, perhaps speeding the track up a beat or two would have helped as it sort of plods along. I do agree with comments however that say it feels less forced than numbers like 'Yout Got Me Rocking' or 'Sparks Will Fly'. I really enjoy most of ABB, and I like B2B alright, but I have a feeling Voodoo will be the last Stones studio album that I really loved.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 22, 2009 08:36

i like the way bernard sings it.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 9, 2010 13:19

I really enjoy this track, it's got a nice, soulful, almost gospel feel throughout the song, with nice harmonies. Very well produced, too, although perhaps (as theimposter wrote) a wee bit plodding in its tempo. Lyrically clever too. Builds up subtly, especially thanks to the gorgeous pedal-steel solo, which effectively leads into "there's no river running, that we can't cross".

Not on the level of their best stuff, but a keeper nonetheless.

Drew

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: September 9, 2010 14:19

I'll go with what seems to be the majority: not great lyrics but very enjoyable music. The best track on the second half of the album.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 9, 2010 15:14

Barn Owl
Four Stone Walls
Cringeworthily weak. Guitar parts are totally transparent and predictable, base on a riff pattern recycled fro Main Offender (twice) and also to be found on LIS.

I concur with T&A: "the consummate filler track competing for filler attention on a filler-filled album...."

Ans a Barn owl wrote:

"In keeping with the rest of the Voodoo Lounge album, the track's production is beautifully understated, giving the guitars a more isolated and distinctive sound, and interacting superbly with Jagger's magnificent vocal performance.

A superb track from a truly great album."

You jest, surely. Yes, you jest.

That album is full of jagger's and Richard's solo-album cast-offs, all repackaged with dire production into a formatted ,,,,,,,, I really can't be bothered to go on. It's the antithesis of their once instinctive and natural approach. On a par with 'Bang' - planned and contrived.

What difference does it make whether something is a "cast-off" or not?

It didn't do Tattoo You any harm.

Ditto with many other artists. Some of Springsteen's best ever work (the Tracks compilation as an example) are songs that never made it originally on to record, while Dylan has numerous Bootleg Series releases stuffed with classics that were never intended for public consumption (Dignity, Blind Willie McTell etc).

...and what's up with an album that is "planned and contrived?". In fact when did the Stones EVER make an album that wasn't "planned and contrived"? Isn't that what artists are supposed to do? In fact, isn't that the real reason why some tracks are released and others are not?

In this respect, Voodoo Lounge (like Exile) is an album where the the sum of the parts far outweighs the whole, and one which they were more than happy to show off in large chunks on the subsequent tours.

I repeat; it's a classic.

So stop theorising and take a listen.

Wrexham for the cup!!!

Please do not tell me you are comparing Voodoo Lounge To Exile. And "planned and contrived" means the songs did not emerge organically or as a process of inspiration, but rather were concocted and put together because an album was required - pretty much the way it's been since Steel Wheels.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 9, 2010 18:50

think you're arguing with a ghost there, Tele...

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 9, 2010 21:11

It stinks.
Who cares if it's well played or not? Well played crap is still crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-10 22:43 by Harlem Shuffler.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 9, 2010 23:05

Harlem Shuffler
It stinks.
Who cares if it's well played or not? Well-played crap is still crap.

in fact it's a waste of good-playing. if a song is crap, it's always better to play it crappily, i say.....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 9, 2010 23:20

I hate it..............this is no Stones music for me

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 10, 2010 01:40

One of those Stones songs that could be dismissed as filler.

But, - there is something about it, like some other tunes as well, that makes it much more!

It'll touch and move you if you are open for it.
Love the greasy groove and gospel-touch singin, - while I'm not really shure about the final version/mix.

I imagine they could have made even more out of this soulful Keithish mid-tempo tune.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: September 10, 2010 01:47

filler

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home