Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: THE WHO Kilburn´77/London´69 DVD
Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: November 14, 2008 18:51

Anybody got this yet?

The Kilburn show looks nice. They hadn´t played for over a year and Keith is a mess so it´s not really a good show and at times verges on a trainwreck but still better than I expected.

However... The real SENSATION is the bonus disc which contains the ENTIRE Dec. 14 1969 London Coliseum show.
It´s a terrific performance, raw and full of energy (Young Man Blues!) Tommy-era Who at their peak. It´s all there: Pete in his boiler suit and red SG, Roger wearing the fringe jacket and Keith in great shape, a staggering contrast to the Kilburn show only 8 years later.
The quality is as good as is gets considering it was recorded on 16mm video and 2-track audio.
The show is as complete as possible (they even inserted some audience audio portions during Tommy where the original audio is missing) incl. stage banter (very nicely done, some of Keith´s jokes are even subtitled).

This is how I like to see vintage Stones´69 MSG footage released!

Highly recommened. Get this now!

Re: OT: THE WHO Kilburn´77/London´69 DVD
Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: November 14, 2008 19:30

did you get this on amazon?

Date: November 14, 2008 19:40

rlngstns
did you get this on amazon?

Yep, amazon.de, that is. Pre-ordered yesterday and got it this morning. Just saw it won´t be released in the US/UK until November 17/18.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 14, 2008 19:52

Hi Torn. I checked the link and I saw no mention of the '69 show. Am I blind?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-14 19:54 by ChrisM.

Date: November 14, 2008 20:05

It´s hard to discern and hardly mentioned on the DVD package as well but it´s definitely there. The second disc includes nothing but London´69 material. The trailer in that link shows some snippets of it.

Date: November 14, 2008 20:05

same here.....would be a nice bonus

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: November 14, 2008 20:35

In the U.S., the dvd is not out until Tuesday the 18th, but here in Los Angeles this past Monday, they had a screening of the entire Kilburn performance, plus a few songs from London 69, in a movie theater. The evening started off with Roger Daltrey in person doing a 10 minute Q and A session, as The Who had just played 2 nights in town.

I thought Kilburn looked and sounded fantastic on the big screen. It was also a much better performance than I'd expected being that it was rejected for inclusion in The Kids Are Alright. The London footage was clearly of a lower quality, but still was very watchable. I look forward to seeing that whole preformance when I get the dvd.

Date: November 14, 2008 20:53

thanks for that....won't miss getting this

Posted by: jayb70 ()
Date: November 14, 2008 23:21

a bit off topic but i remember as a kid seeing the return of the jedi at the kilburn state cinema. have not been in the place since then. i'm sure the cinema was the biggest in the whole of europe at the time. never knew that they held gigs there.

i think it's a bingo hall now. how very rock n roll!!!!!

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: November 19, 2008 06:59

Daltrey introduced this film at a theater in Sherman Oaks, Calif. last week. There was a brief Q&A with the audience and then he had to leave to go to Japan for the Who gigs this month.

After Kilburn, there was an additional segment of a much earlier show, probably from 1970 or so. I presume that is also on the DVD.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 19, 2008 07:37

Yup on the DVD: London Coliseum gig from 1969

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 19, 2008 12:35

Got my copy at the weekend and watched the Colisseum disc last night. Great stuff and fantastic sound for the time. It starts off a bit blurry but gets better once your eyes adjust. This era of The Who is so well documented now - there's a great DVD boot of Isle Of Wight 69, the Colisseum 69, Isle Of Wight 70 and Tanglewood 70. Such a shame that the 71 Europe and US tours weren't filmed (as far as I know) or indeed the 73 European and US dates. There is however a TV show from Holland 73 where they filled in at the last moment for Roxy Music I believe.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 20, 2008 02:47

The Colisseum disk is amazing... amazing... amazing.

Us Who fans have hit the mother load on this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-20 02:50 by custom55.

Date: November 20, 2008 03:40

Can't wait to get it!!!!! I am in Jakarta so have to wait until I am home for Christmas. Will be a great treat to sit in front of the fire, spark up, and sit back for some classic Who. It sounds like there are some more in the future as well.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: November 20, 2008 05:37

Got my copy in the mail tonight: The 1977 Kilburn set is an absolute travesty! Although the gig was professionally shot and recorded, the performance is as bad as the classic Who lineup ever played and isn't worthy of release. Forgotten lyrics, botched changes, blown transitions, etc. It's enough to make one wonder whether they did any rehearsal for it after more than a year off. Townshend's exasperation at their awfulness on that night is obvious from about Dreaming from the Waist onward. But none of them are immune from this debacle.

The 1969 London Coliseum footage, however, is a keeper. Even if it's grainy and blurry much of the time, THIS is the Who that many of us know and love! Now if they'd only release the complete Isle of Wight set on DVD....

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 20, 2008 06:09

baxlap
Got my copy in the mail tonight: The 1977 Kilburn set is an absolute travesty! Although the gig was professionally shot and recorded, the performance is as bad as the classic Who lineup ever played and isn't worthy of release. Forgotten lyrics, botched changes, blown transitions, etc. It's enough to make one wonder whether they did any rehearsal for it after more than a year off. Townshend's exasperation at their awfulness on that night is obvious from about Dreaming from the Waist onward. But none of them are immune from this debacle.

Yeah, I gotta agree, this DVD is a big disappointment. Set List is totally greatest hits.... Just 4 years after QUADROPHENIA but yet not one effing song off of that great album. Not the best playing, not the best show, same old songs ... Moon had really slowed down by this point.... 1969 was a great period but the quality on this show is a notch above Super 8 footage.... much better show than 1977, that's for sure......

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: November 20, 2008 06:11

kilburn looks tremendous on blu... it may have been filmed over 30 years ago, but it sure wasnt edited back then... camera cuts to different shots every 3-4 seconds, just horrible, what a damn shame.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: November 20, 2008 06:45

HelterSkelter

Yeah, I gotta agree, this DVD is a big disappointment. Set List is totally greatest hits.... Just 4 years after QUADROPHENIA but yet not one effing song off of that great album. Not the best playing, not the best show, same old songs ... Moon had really slowed down by this point.... 1969 was a great period but the quality on this show is a notch above Super 8 footage.... much better show than 1977, that's for sure......

They had dropped Quadrophenia completely by a few gigs into the '75 tour, something about trying to avoid using prerecorded backing tapes (well then, what about Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again? Or, given Moon's girth, Won't Get Food Again!). They barely played any of Quadrophenia from those first few shows in '75 until the first Kenney Jones shows in '79. Also, they only play one from By Numbers, the then-current album, and make an absolute trainwreck shambles of that one song, Dreaming From the Waist.

My suspicion is that they just winged this show. Just goes to show: every band needs to rehearse!

Releasing the crap Kilburn show by itself would have stunk of a crass cash-in for the holidays. At least they had the courtesy to release the 1969 footage, grainy and dark as it is.

Date: November 20, 2008 07:14

There were a lot of technical difficulties with the Quadrophenia materail when they were touring in support of that album. The tape loops were continually off sync and there were a lot of heated arguements about what material to play...So they did end up dropping a lot of the material, there a few good shows from that tour on Wolfgang's Vault. The stuff on Kilburn is definitely their typical set list from 75, sans a few numbers from Who By Numbers, so they were probably trying to play it safe. I haven't seen the DVD yet, but am anxious to...the reviews tend to be either love it, or big dissapointment. But the London stuff is definitely a tresure trove of sorts. A few reviewers have stated that Keith's performance on Kilburn is better than the Sheperton material that was used for Kids are Alright....I really wish though there would be some more releases from their Quadro tour...

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: November 20, 2008 10:11

Does anyone have any info on the 11/20/75 Houston show, the sound quality, etc., thanks

Date: November 20, 2008 12:45

Yes, well worth getting Crazy. It's not pro shot but rather recorded on the auditoreum's own in house cctv system. In many ways I prefer these videos to the bastard lightning editing jobs we now get...such as Four Flicks. The cameras don't stay long enough on each performer.
You can find it on Amazon I believe for really cheap. The version I have has a load of extras too.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 20, 2008 12:50

Let me add my 'Two Cents' to this one -

Just bought the Who's "Kilburn '77 / London '69" DVD yesterday, already have watched the whole thing, and I must say, it iss absolutely fantastic!!! London '69 is a revelation, the band simply cooking, wonderful show! Kilburn starts slowly, but they really start kickin' in the 2nd half.

So great to see this archive stuff, while watching I was wondering how cool if the stones were to do the same - say, 'MSG '69 Full Show' & 'El Mocambo' on DVD, something similar, archive wise, to the brilliant Who release!

Date: November 20, 2008 13:34

Dear Silver,
I am so intrigued by your posting. I looked on Amazon, and nothing. Any leads you have would be greatly appreciated.... trade?

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: November 23, 2008 03:41

Having just watched this dvd, it really makes me realize how much Keith Moon meant to the rest of the band. Not only was he so uniquely suited to be the drummer for The Who alone but he constantly kept the mood as light as possible. His quips are hilarious and really thought his kissing Entwistle at the 69 gig (at the beginning of a Quick One) was a classic moment. And he so tried to cut the tension at the Kilburn gig that he seemed to get Pete to lighten it up a little by the end of the show. I didnt even think he performed badly at the 77 show.
Personally, I loved this warts and all performance. No sudio touch ups and redubs for sure! How I wish the Stones would do this occasionally. If the Knebworth show is in the can somewhere, PLEASE release it and keep it as wonderfully ragged as it actually was!!

Date: November 23, 2008 07:10

whitem8
Dear Silver,
I am so intrigued by your posting. I looked on Amazon, and nothing. Any leads you have would be greatly appreciated.... trade?

Will try to find one for you. Stay tuned.

Date: November 23, 2008 07:31

Awesome!

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 23, 2008 08:50

Slick
kilburn looks tremendous on blu... it may have been filmed over 30 years ago, but it sure wasnt edited back then... camera cuts to different shots every 3-4 seconds, just horrible, what a damn shame.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3-4 second camera cuts. Frickin annoying. Too many music videos are done that way and they are ruined.

Posted by: woody ()
Date: November 23, 2008 09:20

Hi Does any one want to trade some who stuff, i have a laarge list.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 23, 2008 09:44

Hi Woody,

I don't suppose that list would include a 'Goodbye to Summer:Charlton '74' poster,would it?

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 23, 2008 10:18

A brilliant DVD package this. Kilburn's great. Pete, Keith and John were all wrecked - John said it was the only gig he's played drunk.

Apparently, there are more DVDs in the offing: Maximum R n B/Rockpalast 1981 will be out in the first quarter of 2009, and France 1972 is in the pipeline, probably for a 2010 release.

An expanded Who sell Out is due out early next year too.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home