Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Noel Gallagher: 'Oasis In Same League As Rolling Stones'
Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: November 27, 2008 12:32

Courtesy of gigwise.com...

Noel Gallagher: 'Oasis In Same League As Rolling Stones'
He speaks out...

by Jason Gregory
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Photo by: Neil Lupin

More Oasis Watch Oasis - Lyla
Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher has said the band deserve to be regarded as contemporaries to the Rolling Stones.

The guitarist told Rolling Stone magazine that the band had achieved a similar level of global recognition as the veteran group.

“We're not going to turn any new people on to Oasis. Oasis is a band that you either get it or you don't. Everybody knows who we are. You have to see us in league with the Rolling Stones now,” he said.

“Everybody's heard of the Stones, everybody knows what they sound like, everybody knows what they do. You either go because you like it or you don't. It's easy.”

As previously reported on Gigwise, Oasis will play a huge UK stadium tour next summer, which includes dates at London's Wembley stadium.

[www.gigwise.com]

Re: HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Noel Gallagher: 'Oasis In Same League As Rolling Stones'
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 27, 2008 13:19

I really love when somebody gives me advices what shall I think about himself...
That shows clarly that he himself doesn't believe that they are in the same league...

Re: HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Noel Gallagher: 'Oasis In Same League As Rolling Stones'
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 27, 2008 14:25

he's getting very modest in his old age.

Actually, the headline is a bit misleading. He's basically saying that at this stage in their respective careers most people have long ago made their minds up on each act - they're not attracting that many NEW fans.

Which is basically true - although he's talking through his arse if he DOES mean in 'global recognition' terms, which from the way the article is worded, would appear to be the writer's interpretation, not necessarily his.

he's not specifically saying they 'deserve' to be regarded as the Stones' contemporaries either (even if he probably believes it). the writer is twisting it to make it look that way for a headline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-27 14:40 by Gazza.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 27, 2008 14:26

What a load of old shite. Oasis have never had one iota of the integrity or the creativity of the Stones. Tell you what Noel - make an album as good as Let It Bleed and come back and talk.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 27, 2008 14:51

Either Noel or the journalist needs to buy a dictionary;

contemporary (OF SAME PERIOD)
adjective
belonging to the same or a stated period in the past:
Almost all of the contemporary accounts of the event have been lost.
Most of the writers he was contemporary with were interested in the same subjects.

contemporary
noun [C]
1 someone living during the same period as someone else:
Was he a contemporary of Shakespeare's?

2 a person who is of the same age as you:
She didn't mix with her contemporaries, prefering the company of older people.

Date: November 27, 2008 14:53

probably the journalist. it's his quote, after all. And he's merely paraphrasing someone else's interview. Very lazy journalism.

Date: November 27, 2008 15:00

You might be right Gazza, but I can't help myself - I feel a big big ego behing thos quotes, that I don't like. But I might as well be wrong. I always thought that his brother Liam was an expert in talking like that, I thought Noel didn't boast so much.

Date: November 27, 2008 15:13

- We're victims of our own brilliance
Noel Gallagher

Date: November 27, 2008 15:18

Happy24
You might be right Gazza, but I can't help myself - I feel a big big ego behing thos quotes, that I don't like. But I might as well be wrong. I always thought that his brother Liam was an expert in talking like that, I thought Noel didn't boast so much.

Of course he has a big ego, but its hardly his fault in this case that some attention seeking journalist has tried to twist an interview with ANOTHER journalist into a headline, just so that it can piss a few people off.

In which case, he's been successful.

Not the first time this week we've seen a nothing story twisted into a 'quote' to get Stones fans worked up over absolutely nothing.

Date: November 27, 2008 15:20

Gazza
Not the first time this week we've seen a nothing story twisted into a 'quote' to get Stones fans worked up over absolutely nothing.

:-)

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 27, 2008 15:25

Gazza

Brilliant

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: November 27, 2008 15:49

Well I'll see him at the Super Bowl in 30 years!

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Date: November 27, 2008 16:29

It seem Noel is listening to his handlers...it seems so pretentious to EVEN HAVE THE AUDACITY to compare himself and his band to the Stones, doesn't it ? NOT, "if" you have your, proverbial, head in your ARSE !

The poor buggers of this generation "need" a point of reference, so instead of picking up the REAL THING, they are stuck with listening to this EGOMANIAC, telling them to try the UN COLA, instead !

A case of the Blind Leading The Blind !

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: November 27, 2008 17:48

At least the mouthy monobrowed Manc now realises that the Stones are the ones worth emulating, not the pop band that split up almost 40 years ago.

Date: November 27, 2008 17:52

Tseverin
At least the mouthy monobrowed Manc now realises that the Stones are the ones worth emulating, not the pop band that split up almost 40 years ago.

I guess you're right, I mean who is going to say his band is like...JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE ?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 27, 2008 18:18

I don't think Oasis belongs to the Big league (The Beatles, the Stones,U2, Elvis)They are musicians probably most wellknown in England, but outside of the UK not that much. They are not "icons". Just a popular english rock band.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: November 27, 2008 18:37

stonesmusicfan
It seem Noel is listening to his handlers...it seems so pretentious to EVEN HAVE THE AUDACITY to compare himself and his band to the Stones, doesn't it ? NOT, "if" you have your, proverbial, head in your ARSE !

Missing the point entirely. He's actually talking his own band down (for a change) - saying theyre not attracting new fans at this stage and either you get them or you dont.

Theres nowhere in that quote of his where he's saying they're musically comparable to or better than the Stones. Try re-reading it.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: November 27, 2008 18:44

in rock history: never & will never be
nowadays: unfortunately yes

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 27, 2008 18:55

for once i am not going to bash noel because i dont think he was really comparing his band to the stones as being equal, it was just as far as the not attracting new fans idea is what he meant i think, because if he were really comparing the two i think even he even knows that would be a RIDICULOUS comment and quite foolish on his part

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 27, 2008 21:44

stonesmusicfan

Noel Gallagher: 'Oasis In Same League As Rolling Stones'
He speaks out...

Well at least he didn't say that Oasis were more popular than Jesus.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: November 27, 2008 22:07

oasis are nothing like the stones.

the stones music at its best was creative, imaginative and energetic.

and they have lasted over 46 years.

wonder where oasis will be in the mid to late 2030,s.

wonder if they will write over 350 songs or release over 20 studio albums.

Posted by: vinckske ()
Date: November 27, 2008 22:13

It's very simple actually...

There's The Rolling Stones and then there's all the other bands.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 28, 2008 02:53

wee bobby lennox and Silver Dagger, He is is not comparing Oasis to the stones musicly or the amount of succes they had, he just says that they probably won't attract any new fans and that there fanbase is pretty much set for 95%. The same can indeed be said for the Stones, there fanbase is also pretty much set for 95%. Maybe some new fans will pop up but the it won't make a big impact to the whole number.

So, if you read his comments you see that he isn't attacking the stones or thinking he is just as good he just made a simple and accurate comparison.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: November 28, 2008 03:06

Munichhilton
Gazza

Brilliant

Worked, didn't it?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 28, 2008 03:52

Oasis = Absolutely Nothing.

These guys need to go drive their bus off a cliff. What a couple of losers.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 28, 2008 06:00

'Oasis In Same League As Rolling Stones'

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 28, 2008 06:45

schillid
'Oasis In Same League As Rolling Stones'

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hey friend, dude... can you see me? --- please, step aside, I have THE life saving paddles at work!! ---> step asdide! NO=W!!!!!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 28, 2008 06:58

Do people actually read this interview or just the Subject?
Schillid, what do you think is such a ridiculous about Noel's statement?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-28 06:58 by Wuudy.

Posted by: albop ()
Date: November 28, 2008 08:20

rollmops
I don't think Oasis belongs to the Big league (The Beatles, the Stones,U2, Elvis)They are musicians probably most wellknown in England, but outside of the UK not that much. They are not "icons". Just a popular english rock band.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

I agree

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 28, 2008 09:04

Credit where credit is due though. Definitely Maybe is probably the greatest debut album by any band ever. Similar to if the Beatles released Rubber Soul as their debut album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-28 13:49 by terraplane.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home