Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

45 years ago today Stones play the Cavern club
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: November 5, 2008 12:41

The Stones play the famous Beatles territory, The Cavern Club in Liverpool for three-quarters of an hour. Hundreds of fans have to be turned away at the door of this prestigious gig. After the gig, the band discovers that Brian was getting 5 pounds more than the rest of the members for being "the leader." The very next morning, a new leadership era dawns

Re: 45 years ago today Stones play the Cavern club
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 5, 2008 13:02

Any photos survive from this occasion?

Date: November 5, 2008 13:54

I've never seen any photo's and as far as I know this was their only gig. Could be wrong, I'm sure someone will soon say.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: November 5, 2008 14:12

anybody here attended the show?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 5, 2008 14:35

Never knew they played the Cavern. Wow - wonder what they went down like?

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 5, 2008 14:49

They even have a brick named after them!

Posted by: stonesmog ()
Date: November 5, 2008 16:01

I stayed long enough just to see them come on stage. Then I had to run to catch the last bus.The place was absolutely packed out I remember. I shouldn't have been there atall because of my age & school had declared the club out of bounds. All these years later & the love affair continues!

Date: November 5, 2008 16:10

I've been to the Cavern club and the surrounding pubs a couple of times and taken in the hisory of it all. Just sitting in the Cavern you can almost feel what went on all those years ago, it's a good place just to say you've been.

I just wish I'd seen the Stones there but alas I was only 11 at the time and didn't really get into any music until around 66, how things have changed now, kids are into music at 5 years old, and fashion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-05 16:16 by pgarof.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 5, 2008 17:30

There are a few photos of them in a hotel in Liverpool and also a couple of pics of them surrounded by fans. They are in some Cavern book, which I think I still might have, but probably not.

pgarof
I've been to the Cavern club and the surrounding pubs a couple of times and taken in the hisory of it all. Just sitting in the Cavern you can almost feel what went on all those years ago, it's a good place just to say you've been.

Problem is the cavern was demolished in the 70's? and the building that is now called the cavern isn't even in the same spot as the previous one. grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 5, 2008 17:58

Why is there a statue of Ronnie outside the Cavern Club? confused smiley

Date: November 5, 2008 19:11

His Majesty
There are a few photos of them in a hotel in Liverpool and also a couple of pics of them surrounded by fans. They are in some Cavern book, which I think I still might have, but probably not.

pgarof

Problem is the cavern was demolished in the 70's? and the building that is now called the cavern isn't even in the same spot as the previous one. grinning smiley

Good point.

However, by existing only a few yards away from the original Cavern Club, the new replicated version still manages to re-create the authenticity and aura of those heady days back in the 60's, especially as all of the other pubs and clubs around it are still in existance; a point to which pgaraf alludes.

Interestingly, my older sister, a regular lunchtime visitor to the Cavern back in the days of the Beatles, still feels such pangs and shivers of nostalgia whenever she a visits the new establishment.

Date: November 5, 2008 19:11

His Majesty

pgarof

I know but it's not far from the origional spot and they replaced the building brick by brick with the origional materials so in reality it IS the same Cavern.

Date: November 5, 2008 19:14

Koen

That's John.

Date: November 5, 2008 19:18

pgarof
Koen

That's John.

...who could actually PLAY.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 5, 2008 19:37

pgarof

I know but it's not far from the origional spot and they replaced the building brick by brick with the origional materials so in reality it IS the same Cavern.

I don't see it that way! I see it as a recreation as a tourist attraction on a different spot using some of the old bricks.

What I think doesn't matter though as you clearly enjoyed visiting the place! thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 5, 2008 19:39

>> That's John. <<

ah so - i've wondered about that before

Posted by: DD ()
Date: November 5, 2008 20:16

The modern Cavern IS in fact on the site of the original - just not the ENTIRE site. When you walk through parts of it now, you are actually walking where the original was. The soundman explained this to me before a gig I played there last year.

Declan

Posted by: stonesmog ()
Date: November 5, 2008 21:11

The modern "Cavern" is absolutely nothing like I remember the original. It's a joke - a very unfunny one!
The real Cavern broke every health & safety rule going, the stairs were lethal, no fire exits, it was smelly & dark, the walls ran with sweat on a good night.It got so packed you couldn't move. In other words, fantastic! Great acoustics and you were so close to the bands. I feel very privileged to have seen the Beatles & the Stones there. But the Beatles were never that special to me and at that time, not as good as some of the other groups in my opinion. Not like the Stones!

Date: November 5, 2008 21:19

His Majesty
pgarof

I don't see it that way! I see it as a recreation as a tourist attraction on a different spot using some of the old bricks.

What I think doesn't matter though as you clearly enjoyed visiting the place! thumbs up

I don't see it as a tourist atraction. Yes tourists will go to see it but it is as it was before as I said, it's part of music history. The City council HAD to rebuild it as accuratly as it was, not to be a tourist attraction but because of the uproar of everyone. At the time Liverpool council were tearing down places and remodernising and not thinking for one minute about the history of the place. soon after it was torn down they thought Oh ***** what have we done , then quickly reconstructed it as it was in nearly the same place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-05 22:25 by pgarof.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home