Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones and Rod in the 80s
Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 29, 2008 21:14

Revaluting Rod Stewart work in the eighties. Those are good songs i love from the decade:

Passion
I wish i was home tonight
Young turks
jealous
tora tora tora
just like a woman
guess i'll always love you
what am i gonna do
baby jane
sweet surrender
ready now
infatuation
every beat of my heart
love touch
lost in you
my heart cant tell you no
forever young

Comparing to Rolling Stones work in the 80s, is not that bad. And more, Rod Stewart live tours during the 80s were GREAT, great voice and energy! I'm NOT saying his 80s were better than Stones 80s (i Lthink ER, Tattoo You and Undercover too are great albums), but still i think is wrong to criticize so much his work from that era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-29 21:15 by farawayeyes2.

Re: The Stones and Rod in the 80s
Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 29, 2008 21:19

To me since about 1975 or so Rod has been complete crap. And even then he was just recycling old Faces songs.

Date: October 29, 2008 21:25

this is exactly was i was talking about, lots of people think Rod is "crap since 1975". I kinda was on this position too, then i listened deeply to his late work, and i found lots of good stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-29 21:29 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 29, 2008 22:02

Agreed, fe2, there are some really good songs by Rod from the 80's. Some crap too.
I like most of your list, except "Love Touch".

"Here To Eternity" was a great (and hard to find) song. "Guess I'll Always Love You" isn't on the single disc of Absolutely Live, but I always liked that, as well as his cover of "The Great Pretender". Not sure when it came out,but "Downtown Train" stands with most any music of that era.

Date: October 29, 2008 22:04

Oh yeah, most of the Foolish Behaviour album is good, especially the title cut.

Date: October 29, 2008 22:09

Elmo Lewis
Agreed, fe2, there are some really good songs by Rod from the 80's. Some crap too.
I like most of your list, except "Love Touch".

"Here To Eternity" was a great (and hard to find) song. "Guess I'll Always Love You" isn't on the single disc of Absolutely Live, but I always liked that, as well as his cover of "The Great Pretender". Not sure when it came out,but "Downtown Train" stands with most any music of that era.

elmo love touch is the one i love less in the list smiling smiley
its a shame guess I'll always love you is NOT on the cd version, imo its the best thing on the album. rod writing a great song, and singing what he loves: soul music.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 29, 2008 22:29

You forgot "DOWNTOWN TRAIN" with Jeff Beck and "SOME GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK"

PECMAN

Date: October 29, 2008 22:35

think Downtown Train is from 1991, but still fantastic smiling smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 29, 2008 22:43

I like 'Leave Virginia Alone' from that album he did after his fantastic unplugged album I think (I don't know Rod like I know the Stones).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 29, 2008 22:48

Its rare as hens teeth to find much of Rod 80's onwards worth any cop. I should know my boss owns all of it any plays it regularly.....

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 29, 2008 23:11

Rare to find, but not impossible.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 30, 2008 00:03

Hi Pecman,he did People Get Ready with Jeff Beck (as I'm sure you knew). If I recall, that song was actually on Jeff's album at the time. It, along with Downtown Train were on the Storytellers box set.

Date: October 30, 2008 12:21

I think "Leave Virginia Alone" was written by Tom Petty. Of course, "Some Guys" was a Robert Palmer tune.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 30, 2008 15:44

Rod Stewart in the 1980's = embarrising.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 30, 2008 19:01

Big Al
Rod Stewart in the 1980's = embarrising.

I know something else that is EMBARRASSING.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 30, 2008 19:03

farawayeyes2
Revaluting Rod Stewart work in the eighties. Those are good songs i love from the decade:

Passion
Young turks
jealous
tora tora tora
just like a woman
what am i gonna do
baby jane
sweet surrender
ready now
infatuation
every beat of my heart
love touch
lost in you
forever young

Comparing to Rolling Stones work in the 80s, is not that bad. And more, Rod Stewart live tours during the 80s were GREAT, great voice and energy! I'm NOT saying his 80s were better than Stones 80s (i Lthink ER, Tattoo You and Undercover too are great albums), but still i think is wrong to criticize so much his work from that era.

I don't mind a lot of these songs. I really like I Wish I Was Home Tonight and Stone Cold Sober.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: October 30, 2008 23:11

Elmo Lewis
Oh yeah, most of the Foolish Behaviour album is good, especially the title cut.

The title cut is kind've rod's "midnight rambler."

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: October 31, 2008 00:10

Not so sure about his albums and somngs from 80's but I like most of them.
However his early 80's shows were awesome. Energy, soccer balls and a great band. it was rock n roll.

Then saw him in Atlanta early 90's and it was worse than a Vegas revue. he must of changed clothes no less than 5 times. Crap.

Date: October 31, 2008 01:43

jjflash did you see him in the early 80s? can u share your memories im interested

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 31, 2008 02:17

I am a big Rod fan, not of his recent " covers of oldies" but of his REAL body of music starting with " Gasoline Alley", and " Every Picture Tells A Story". ( Of course I love his Faces stuff!) The 80's were really productive for Rod the Mod with " Foot Loose and Fancy Free",( LOVE his version of "If Lovin You Is Wrong",) A Spanner In The Works, Vagabond Heart (Broken Arrow is an great tune), and Out Of Order. For a ballad collection, I love " If We Fall In Love Tonight", that includes his exceptional version of "Have I Told You Lately", Downtown Train, First Cut is The Deepest, My Heart Can't Tell You No, and Forever Young. And I have yet to find any Stones fan who doesn't LOVE his Unplugged set because Ronnie really shines all the way through this!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 31, 2008 05:22

farawayeyes2

Passion
Young turks
jealous
tora tora tora
just like a woman
what am i gonna do
baby jane
sweet surrender
ready now
infatuation
every beat of my heart
love touch
lost in you
forever young

A more appropriate name would be "farawayEARS"

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 31, 2008 05:29

When I think of Infatuation, I think, "oh no! Not again!"

The man was brilliant with the Jeff Beck Group, Faces and on his first four solo albums, but Rod Stewart post-Never a Dull Moment is pretty much People Get Ready and keep the rest.

His slide started before the Faces split up. Smiler is crap, except for Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-31 05:31 by baxlap.

Date: October 31, 2008 12:19

loog droog[/quote]

A more appropriate name would be "farawayEARS"[/quote]

good one

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-31 12:20 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: October 31, 2008 15:25

To me the problem with Rod the Mod is the creative gap between his 70's and 80's output. If he had started his career in the 80's then sure he was an ok pop singer for the times, but he could be absolutely awe-inspiring in the early 70's. I still get chills when I hear "You Wear it Well" on the radio, not quite the same reaction with "Baby Jane"!

I think he started to get silly with Foot Loose and Fancy Free. Didn't he move to LA around that time?

Date: October 31, 2008 15:31

Moved to LA around the time of A Night On The Town - it shows. Maybe too much Britt Eklund influence.

As much as I like the late 70's stuff - Night, Footloose, Blondes, etc. - it's nothing like the classic London feel of the 1st few albums/Faces days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home