Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Anyway You Look At It
Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: October 29, 2008 00:40

I think it's pleasant enough, but it's definitely a B-side song.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 29, 2008 01:19

Big Al
Gazza
One of the few Stones songs that I find absolutely unlistenable. Find it hard to fathom that of all the songs left off BTB, this was the one they chose to release.

Is that the case? Was it a BTB reject, or purposfully recorded as a b-side? Is there even such a thing?

I have often wondered about a bands approach to the flip-side of a single.

It was recorded during the sessions and didnt make the final 13 for the album, so thats what I mean by a song "left off" the album.

I know they specifically cut a few songs with b-sides in mind during Voodoo Lounge. Maybe they have a certain style of song in mind when they come to cutting b-sides, but that doesnt necessarily have to mean the songs are substandard.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 29, 2008 11:41

This song has something special, I like the violoncello on it, the Stones should have done something more in that style!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 29, 2008 15:14

I really doubt The Rolling Stones would use a snythesizer to mimic violins or anything - they get real people to play real instruments for those kind of things.

That would be Guns'N'Roses - not one horn was real on anything they ever did.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 2, 2008 15:01

I guess it should have replaced "Always Suffering" on the album.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 2, 2008 17:31

I don't hate it, it's an unusual mood song for them. By that I mean, played in the right context it can be quite effective. Not something I'd just throw on, but it does have a decent melody, if not a bit sleepy for my own tastes.,

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 22, 2009 00:55

This song could be better apreciated if it was included in the album, instead of, what i think and feel, Keith's crapest songs: Thief in the Night

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 22, 2009 03:35

Oh no way - Thief In The Night blows this tune away.

The Sappy Stones, this tune.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 22, 2009 03:53

KeithNacho
This song could be better apreciated if it was included in the album, instead of, what i think and feel, Keith's crapest songs: Thief in the Night

You must be kidding. Thief In The Night (and How Can I Stop which follows it) are two of the highpoints on the album. A terrific song and a great, soulful performance.

Anyway You look At It is like something I'd expect to hear on a Celine Dion record, only worse.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 22, 2009 04:00

Gazza
KeithNacho

You must be kidding. Thief In The Night (and How Can I Stop which follows it) are two of the highpoints on the album. A terrific song and a great, soulful performance.

Anyway You look At It is like something I'd expect to hear on a Celine Dion record, only worse.

Ditto! Great way of putting it

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 22, 2009 04:35

I am surprised how many people seem to just loath this song. It's seems almost too harmless to me to bother getting worked up about. That said, I like elements of it - lovely guitar, the cello, Charlie on brushes. But like many people have always pointed out, Mick's singing and vocal melody seem to lack focus. But the track had potential, and I'd have rather listened to its more sutble balladry on the B2B album in place of the cheesy heavy-handedness of 'Always Suffering'.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 22, 2009 10:38

Always suffering is a very nice song. Thief in the night is awful, and How can i stop is one of the best keith's song (it reminds me coming down again; very musically), and is the perfect end for a por album like BTB. maybe the best song on it

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 4, 2010 01:02

To me, this track is so weak, so lame, and so boring that I start to sweat when I hear it. What the hell were they thinking?

Drew

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 4, 2010 03:21

you having a nightly ballad review session, drew? In any case, I agree -- this is possibly the Stones' worst track.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 4, 2010 03:29

Songs recorded after Wyman left the band don't count. Or shouldn't.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 4, 2010 06:24

i agree w/ some of the others ... very poor track. extremely boring

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 4, 2010 07:54

One of the highlights of 'Rarities'. Sort of a red wine deepening maturity. It ain't rock and roll, but they've always been more than rock and roll.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 4, 2010 08:19

If you didn't know the date of this pensive tune, you might think it hails from the Stones' mid-1960s psychedelic-pop phase.

-Tom Moon, Rarities 1971-2003 liner notes

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1405
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home