Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlotte Coliseum
Posted by: Disco Boy ()
Date: October 27, 2008 09:48

I was looking at the *more scans from the attic* thread and noticed the poster from the 72 tour advertising the venues.
I wondered how many still existed ?
I just recently d/l the Charlotte 72 show from the master tape which was on dime and have owned a multi colour vinyl copy of the show titled *Bring It Back Alive* for years.
I googled for *Charlotte Coliseum* as I wanted to see what it looked like.

I'm buggered if it wasn't demolished by implosion in 2007 )-:

Here's a link to the footage.

Re: Charlotte Coliseum
Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 27, 2008 16:05

Actually, that is a different Charlotte Coliseum. The Charlotte Coliseum in which the Stones played in 1972 still stands on Independence Boulevard in Charlotte. It has been renamed Independence Arena.

The Charlotte Coliseum which was imploded, in your video link, was where the Stones played in 1999. It replaced the old Charlotte Coliseum and yet the old one still stands.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 27, 2008 17:03

On a similar note, I've never seen a boot from the 1999 show (some sorry video footage, but no soundboard or audience).

This was a great show - Imagination Route 66, and Rambler on the b-stage, as well as Some Girls, Respectable, Out Of Control, Memory Motel and an ass-kickin' JJF to start thing off!!

If there's a boot, please post it. Thanks!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 27, 2008 18:06

Every 1999 show exists on audio, and as youve stated, theres a video of Charlotte as well.

Posted by: Disco Boy ()
Date: October 27, 2008 21:17

Thanks for that info Lukester,as a humble UK resident it's hard to know stuff with any major accuracy about the US but I thought I had Charlotte covered until your (thankfully) insightful contribution.

So,I'm glad the venue still stands.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 27, 2008 21:32

gotta jump in here

that '99 show (at the now- demolished Coliseum) was truly great.
I didn't get to the '72 show at the old Coliseum (now the only Coliseum)

but it's generally agreed that those are two great Stones shows, and a lot has been said about the Charlotte '72 boot.

The setlist for that '99 show was, for me, the best ever. The performance was one of their best too, but there are so many with them...

Date: October 27, 2008 22:19

Disco Boy
Thanks for that info Lukester,as a humble UK resident it's hard to know stuff with any major accuracy about the US but I thought I had Charlotte covered until your (thankfully) insightful contribution.

So,I'm glad the venue still stands.

My pleasure my disco friend. I am impressed by your interest in coliseums. I have been to many great shows in Charlotte. The last time I attended a show at the old Charlotte Coliseum (now Independence Arena) was a killer Robert Plant show July 17, 1989. There was a motel next door with a swimming pool and a bunch of us stayed there and got sloppy drunk at the pool until show time. Good times, good times.

Date: October 27, 2008 22:21

....there was tequila involved.

Date: October 27, 2008 22:28

theres a picture of Plant with Gus, in Gus' Sir Beef Restaurant, he must have stopped in and got some fried squash and beef tips on rice...the best

Lukester have you been to Gus' Sir Beef? if you get a chance, when in Charlotte, its a good restaurant! Check out the Plant photo..!

Date: October 27, 2008 23:57

Hey duke,
I've never eaten at Gus' Thanks for the tip though (pun intended).....I'll check out the photo.

Go Panthers

Posted by: mdb13 ()
Date: October 28, 2008 00:41

I remember seeing Zappa and the Mothers at the old Coliseum in 1969 (the ill fated Charlotte Jazz Festival)....management cut the power about 15 minutes into the show!! Jimi had been there a few months earlier...is Park Center still around? Some good shows there, small venue too...

Date: October 28, 2008 01:09

mdb13
I remember seeing Zappa and the Mothers at the old Coliseum in 1969 (the ill fated Charlotte Jazz Festival)....management cut the power about 15 minutes into the show!! Jimi had been there a few months earlier...is Park Center still around? Some good shows there, small venue too...

Oh my gosh mdb13, I saw Little Feat with Lowell George at the Park Center September 16,1978. People tell me that venue still stands but it has been renamed. I do not know it's new moniker, maybe duke knows.

Date: October 28, 2008 01:18

I guess I should also say that I saw Neil Young and Bob Dylan at the old Charlotte Coliseum, both concerts within weeks of each other in 1978.

And I saw the Grateful Dead there in 1979. Good times, very, very good times.

Date: October 28, 2008 01:19

....and Rod Stewart in 1975

Date: October 28, 2008 03:29

mdb13 and Lukester, yes Park Center is there, but has been renamed the Grady Cole Center.

Park Center, man there were some great shows there. I saw Pink Floyd there when they were touring Dark Side of the Moon; they performed the whole album I believe. Amazing...
Also saw a great show with the Climax Blues Band, opening for Steve Miller Band

wish I'd seen that Little Feat show. What a great venue! now I think they have some hip hop acts in there every now and then...and it'll be somebody's campaign HQ for the election..

Date: October 28, 2008 05:06

Thanks duke.

Date: October 28, 2008 16:16

Hey duke, it looks like Pink Floyd was at the Park Center in Charlotte on March 23, 1973. Here's a link to their old tour schedule.

[ourworld.compuserve.com]

I remember the Park Center was a very small arena, much smaller than the Charlotte Coliseum. That must have been an awesome show.

Date: October 28, 2008 17:16

THANKS Lukester!! for providing the date! happens to be my wedding date (3-23-96) !!
incredible show it was. I clearly remember among other details that David Gilmour had on a T shirt that said 'didn't we do well' ...!

I still am amazed at the advanced technology they had, for the time, as evidenced by the lights and sound system. the sound was very clear and they manipulated it a lot, swirling it around..

anyone else see that Pink Floyd tour, share your thoughts...?
the 'Great Gig In The Sky' segment had the woman (can't recall her name) who sang the album version I believe. they just went out and did the whole album live.

yeah Park Center (now Grady Cole) is like small- mid size hockey arena
I guess about 3000 folks.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 29, 2008 01:26

So what new building replaced the previous Charlotte Coliseum?

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: October 29, 2008 04:07

Bobcat Arena
The Stones opened the new arena on Oct. 21, 2005.
A great show.
Mick said they were happy to "pop the cherry" on the building.

Posted by: mdb13 ()
Date: October 31, 2008 03:25

I dont know but remember Park Center as even smaller than 3000...floor and ring of seats above, but then again I was a kid...should go see that building some time as it was a cherry poppin place as far as good music for me...Janis (half full), Canned Heat....the Doors were booked and announced and cancelled for lack of ticket sales! and yeh, as time went on into the seventies, lotta good shows there...maybe it will revive one day, nice venue.

Date: October 31, 2008 05:01

nellcote'71
Bobcat Arena
The Stones opened the new arena on Oct. 21, 2005.
A great show.
Mick said they were happy to "pop the cherry" on the building.

A sign of the times, "Bobcat Arena" whose "cherry was popped" in 2005 is now called "Time Warner Cable Arena."

Remember the Carolina Panthers stadium in which the Stones played in 1997? Then it was called "Ericson Stadium." It is now called "Bank Of America Stadium." money money money

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-31 05:03 by Lukester.

Date: October 31, 2008 15:37

Yeah, Lukester, I hate the practice of naming stadiums and arenas for corporations. They should be named for the (to paraphrase Bruce) local hero, sportswise or otherwise.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 31, 2008 15:43

Elmo Lewis
Yeah, Lukester, I hate the practice of naming stadiums and arenas for corporations. They should be named for the (to paraphrase Bruce) local hero, sportswise or otherwise.

Yeah.No shit. The Giants stadium in SF actually had a pretyty decent corporate sponsor name to start with.Pac Bell. Just kinda fit. People nicknamed it the big phone. Then SBC bought out PacBell.Now it's AT&T. Too generic.....Elmo I got a Springsteen boot from the Staples center in LA(the boot's actually called Searching for Mr.Staples) where he goes on for about 5 mins joking about corporate sponsership's.He say's what's next, Miami is just going to be called the swooshspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 31, 2008 18:44

Living in the future and none of this has happened yet!

charmed, how about a copy of the boot? I think you've got my email.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home