Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Summer Romance / Where The Boys All Go
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 26, 2008 00:33

Beelyboy
both of those are among my favorite Stones tracks, especially SR; the vitality of the band is immediately apparent. their response to the pistols influence and popularity is full on hot and they sound fierce, casual and in full power on those. summer romance is the full-on gem that got played over and over and over by me when this album was released; it always gets me good.
so true!! I cant help it...im older than you!...Summer Romance is pure R&R hard rock luv it!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 26, 2008 00:56

what came to my mind is that I little bit miss those warm Keith sound... now he's more raw and sharp.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: October 26, 2008 04:20

I find both tracks mediocre. I definetely prefer WTBAG to SR.

<<Somegirls left-overs?>>

From memory; I think SR was started during the SG sessions. I don't think WTBAG was started until after the '78 US Tour, but my memory might well have been failing me here.

<<blah! can't listen to it. dull & uninteresting, simply the worst Keith song.>>

I think All About You is absolutely the best track on the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-26 04:22 by Sohoe.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 26, 2008 04:32

Not to keen on either of the songs. The playing is great, but it deserved much better songs.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 26, 2008 10:18

Sohoe
I find both tracks mediocre. I definetely prefer WTBAG to SR.

<<Somegirls left-overs?>>

From memory; I think SR was started during the SG sessions. I don't think WTBAG was started until after the '78 US Tour, but my memory might well have been failing me here.

<<blah! can't listen to it. dull & uninteresting, simply the worst Keith song.>>

I think All About You is absolutely the best track on the album.

It's a bit unclear. The backing track of SR actually is from the RCA sessions, late August '78, but earlier versions are reported.

Personally, I find SR and WTBAG are the weakest tracks on ER, together with Indian Girl, which actually is the only Stones song I really can't stand.

Mathijs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 26, 2008 10:23

The groove on those rocker numbers in EMOTIONL RESCUE (count "Let Me Go" also in)is absolutely awesome. The vitality, the ancient art of weaving... the way they mixed guitars was awesome at the time... there was so much space in the air, and still tasty guitars everywhere, the playing was so breathing... and Charlie's back beat was more 'late' than even usually.

I remember when I first heard "Rough Justice" I thought of these ER tracks. But that impression didn't last very long. RJ is forced and calculated number compared to naturally rolling ER numbers.

As bare songs I agree with Kent that they aren't any awesome; it is the inspired groove of the band that makes the trick - even though I think Jagger's sleazy and hedonistic lyrics are quite funny - referring to "lying in the swimming pool" and "hanging in the gay bars", etc.

Overall EMOTIONAL RESCUE is an album that gets better and better... They somehow screwed up the potential at the time, but it has been growing up ever since. The whole period from SOME GIRLS to TATTOO YOU, plus the tours 1978, 1981/82 was a great, distinctive period for The Stones - a one great (late) episode in their wonderful saga. They had a special groove and sound then. When Ronnie Wood really contributed to the sound of the band.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-26 10:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 26, 2008 10:35

at the very end of "let me Go" you hear bobby playing sax. It would have been cool to have more of that in the song, maybe a solo in the middle or something like that.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: October 26, 2008 12:16

Love 'em!

Summer Romance:

Where The Boys Go:

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 26, 2008 14:52

T&A
SR is "chuck berry by numbers" song, charming, but a throwawy still. WTBG is an unusually inspired rocker from the lads, odd key giving it a totally different effect. lead guitar handover is brilliant. song ranks among their best ever, imo....

In a nutshell...

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: October 26, 2008 15:31

Elmo Lewis
Like 'em both. "Summer Romance" blasted out of speakers all summer 1980. "Boys Go" was later copied by Rod Stewart on "Tora, Tora, Tora" - the girls and guys background stuff.

P. S. Rod also copied "Rip This Joint" on "Better Off Dead" and "Miss You" on "Jealous".

Like them both too.The same conclusion about Rod Stewart.
Hot Legs after Crazy mama ....

Date: October 26, 2008 17:21

He copied "Miss You" twice then. "Sexy" was a rip on MY just as well.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: October 27, 2008 03:53

<<The backing track of SR actually is from the RCA sessions, late August '78, but earlier versions are reported.>>

I see. Thanks for pointing out, Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-27 04:05 by Sohoe.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 28, 2008 09:25

WTBAG - Reasonable song I guess but terrible lyrics (from Jagger?)
SR - Much better but awful drumming. Did they use a drum machine for this?

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: October 28, 2008 13:16

I like the bass on Indian Girl, typical Bill Wyman playing. (I'm assuming it's him. Someone's probably going to tell me it's not him!...)

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 28, 2008 14:08

Who were the girls singing backup vocals on WTBG ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-28 17:55 by shortfatfanny.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 28, 2008 14:34

WeLoveYou
I like the bass on Indian Girl, typical Bill Wyman playing. (I'm assuming it's him. Someone's probably going to tell me it's not him!...)

Some of my favorite Wyman lines too!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 28, 2008 14:43

In my opinion they are both weak songs. First time I ever really cringed when hearing a Stones tunes was when I heard those female singers at the end of Where The Boys Go. To me both of these songs could be classified under that Lies type of song. I guess if you like the Stones trying to be punk you can enjoy these tunes.

Date: October 28, 2008 14:47

Both are great. WTBG is a tad better imo. But the guitar sound on SR is the best you get.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 28, 2008 14:54

Both great!
I love Emotional Rescue.

Date: October 28, 2008 15:00

J-J-Flash
In my opinion they are both weak songs. First time I ever really cringed when hearing a Stones tunes was when I heard those female singers at the end of Where The Boys Go. To me both of these songs could be classified under that Lies type of song. I guess if you like the Stones trying to be punk you can enjoy these tunes.

Well, the girls sounded okay to my ears, but the horrible bunch of drunken, incoherent male voices doing the 'counter part' was too much... But I think you re right when you classify WTBG with "Lies" as 'The Stones trying to be punk" category, and I would emphasize the word "trying", because the results have not much to to do with actual punk music... be it good or not. The natural groove of Keith/Charlie/Bill just doesn't fit to the straightforward punk attack style at all, even no matter how loud Mick tries to shout FASTER FASTER FASTER!!! Only what stylistically is 'punk' is the manouvres Jagger tries to use in his vocals (and lyrics).

I was a young punk fan before I got hooked into Stones, and honestly, I could have not labelled anything in EMOTIONAL RESCUE, nor in SOME GIRLS under the 'punk' category... But seemingly the whole attitude to music the punk had, really kicked the asses of The Stones, which was good.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-28 15:03 by Doxa.

Date: October 28, 2008 15:16

You are not emphasising too much on the american punk scene here? English punk was rooted in rock'n'roll and three chords. They were more primitive - yes, but basically it was rock'n'roll with spit-out-vocals and loud guitars.

To my ears, WTBG, Respectable and When The Whip Comes Down are good, punkish tunes. But the main thing that differs from the younger punk scene at the time is Jagger, actually. He tries too hard. But then again, it always was like this with The Stones. Whether they played the blues, Chuck Berry, soul, funk or disco - it always sounded like The Stones, not like the current trend smiling smiley

Date: October 28, 2008 15:48

DandelionPowderman
You are not emphasising too much on the american punk scene here? English punk was rooted in rock'n'roll and three chords. They were more primitive - yes, but basically it was rock'n'roll with spit-out-vocals and loud guitars.

To my ears, WTBG, Respectable and When The Whip Comes Down are good, punkish tunes. But the main thing that differs from the younger punk scene at the time is Jagger, actually. He tries too hard. But then again, it always was like this with The Stones. Whether they played the blues, Chuck Berry, soul, funk or disco - it always sounded like The Stones, not like the current trend smiling smiley

Well, in fact I am emphasizing the BRITISH punk scene, Sex Pistols, Clash, etc. which was the version of punk that took over here in Finland, and inspired hundreds of little bands to play raw and simple, three chord, rhythm guitar driven angry rock and roll (despite Ramones, the American version of punk never 'clicked' so much here.). Yeah, formally the Stones do the same - get rid of the horn sections etc,and go back to simple, rhythmn guitar driven, three chord and three-minute form with screaming vocals (they never been too far from it, unlike Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin or other dinosaurs, though...), but I think the 'primitive' in the Stones scheme was something different than with the bands like Sex Pistols. I think the Stones were too skillfull, too sophisticated (can you believe that?), too old, and too clever to be honestly 'primitive' in the punk sense. Keith Richards openly hated punk music, and this can be heard in his playing - he goes willingly back to Chuck Berry with a respect to old rock and roll - but with young punk lads they couldn't care less of any chuckberries - they just got the simple three chord formula and play it with 'no respect and no hostages' attitude. They did new miracles with their approach into same simple forms The Stones did miracles a decade or something earlier. I don't think The Stones never really shared that 'true' punk attitude which smashed the whole rock scene. The Stones belonged to the older generation of musicians and revolotionaries. I mean, one can put SOME GIRLS and NEVER MIND THE BULLOCKS on, and compare... The term 'raw' is not something to attribute to the former...

But like said, I don't think it is not a bad thing that The Stones never sounded like a punk band... They just took influences, which was good.

- Doxa

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: October 28, 2008 16:07

Good question....

Who are the girls in WTBG?????

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 28, 2008 16:10

J-J-Flash

must admit too first time I heard those girls chorus i had a little shock

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 28, 2008 16:13

keeffriffhard
Good question....

Who are the girls in WTBG?????

the story as i recall is that jagger asked some random girls he found in nyc to lay down the vocals on this tune. i'm sure others here with a better memory can elaborate....

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 28, 2008 16:41

Not really a fan of either. Guitars sound good in each song but they are trying to hard to be something their not. Give me some of the outtakes like Yellow Cab or Claudine and its makes ER a much stronger album. A friend of mine who is a big Stones fan insists that Where The Boys Go is the worst Stones song ever. Don't know if I'd go that far but he also hates the whole punk thing.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 28, 2008 16:45

It is an interesting era for the band. From GHS through BAB you've got this hazy lazy era.

SG through TY it's very shiny, in general. Shiny and tight. Some of it pretty good, some of it awful and some of it down the middle. TY of course has songs from several album sessions that were mixed accordingly but nonetheless you can still hear the sonic differences from the studios they were done in as well as the difference in the drums.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: October 28, 2008 16:50

I really do like this 1977-1981 era...it reminds me in a way at 1963-1965....

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: October 28, 2008 18:12

i am with mathijs regarding "indian girl", but not regarding WTBAG and SR!

Especially SR is one of my favorites of ER; but neither WTBAG nor SR i would consider a punkish stones song (here i agree with Doxa), they are more or less classical stones-rockers. whip and lies on SG are for me more "punkish", whip being a very good song, but lies being the worst track on an otherwise great album!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: October 28, 2008 18:22

The chorus at the end with the back-up singers on WTBG has always ruined it for me. I get ill when I hear it.

SR is quite nice. One of my favorite Stones albums.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home