Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

George Thorogood and the Stones
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 24, 2008 11:04

Seems as if he was some kind of "close" in 81/82 to the Stones.
Pre-shows and the rumours replacing Wood with him leads to this conclusion.

But was that ever reasonable,or was it pure speculation,at least to motivate Ronnie
to get more concentrated ?

Does anyone know something (musically) new about him ?

Still love his first two records,real smashing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-30 00:43 by shortfatfanny.

Re: George Thorogood and the Stones
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 24, 2008 12:19

I don't anything more about those rumours but he makes great music.
I always wondered why he doesn't open for the stones anymore, seems like a perfect fit to me.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 24, 2008 12:21

He was scheduled to open for the Stones in Honolulu 2006, but the show was cancelled.

Posted by: yap is not dead ()
Date: October 24, 2008 12:29

He would not have been a good Rolling Stone.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 24, 2008 13:03

He would have looked too good being a Rolling Stone ...

In those days Ronnie was heavy on Freebase and hardly able to play guitar. But Mick and Keith took him back on the track.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 25, 2008 12:04

erikjjf
He was scheduled to open for the Stones in Honolulu 2006, but the show was cancelled.

Thank´s for the info,erikjjf,didn´t know that.
That means ,he´s still active,good .

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 25, 2008 12:21

shortfatfanny
That means ,he´s still active,good .

He sure is.
[www.georgethorogood.com]

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 25, 2008 15:47

George is VERY good at what he does and I never miss a chance to see him but I dont give much to the rumour about him replacing Ron(its been heard before) simply because he isnt technically capable(IMO)of playing some of the lead required for some Stones songs. I was watching some 1973 footage of Johnny Winter on Don Kirshners Rock Concert the other day with "Silver Train" and "JJF" and thought wouldnt that had been weird to see Winter join the Stones back then!

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 25, 2008 23:09

I met George Thorogood in the keystone palo alto nightclub back in 1981. I went up to chat and he was very friendly and down to earth. I had just seen him open for the stones at candlestick park in SF. His first albums were great and he was a great showman... I saw him play recently in LA with Buddy Guy and was kind of disappointed. He has been very showbizzy and not as real on stage. He did bring out his daughter to play with him which was cool. But Buddy Guy blew him away. He is amazing... see him while you can...

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 26, 2008 05:45

I remember teaching someone how to play guitar and he loved George Thorogood. gave him an open tuning on his guitar, gave him a glass slide and told him to keep sliding 3rd to 5th, 10th back n forth and BAM! He knew most of the Thorogood song book and seemed kind of bummed.

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: October 26, 2008 15:03

what open tunings does george prefer..?

Date: October 26, 2008 20:18

George has admitted that he does not have the greatest repertoire of licks, basically Chuck berry, Bo Diddley and slide shufle. See you tube for his honest discussion of this. But he is a hell of a performer, and who else could cover one bourbon, one scotch like he did... Or play just like Robert Johnson on his last album (Dynaflow Blues)... Give George a break = he is keeping the rock and roll tradition alive... When I met he was friendly, courteouse, did not try to brush me off, was dressed casually and did not give off any airs of a rock star. he was there that night with some friend to see Mink DeVille, as was I, but he did ot jump on stage or try to grab the spotlight. He had oen beer but seemed perfectly friendly with no ego trip. Hardly a good replacement for Ron or Keith in those days...

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 26, 2008 21:05

George is a fairly nice and approachable guy one on one. When his tour manager gets in the picture, the tour manager thinks he's working for a Frank Sinatra type act and starts bossing people where it is kind of sad.

I remember once on a ZZ Top tour when George was opening (1994) the tour manager was going crazy because it a few large beach balls were bopping up and down in the house. He sent venue security after the balls and they were running up and down the aisles shining flash lights in fans faces.

As for the open tuning question, I think I used open G. It's been a while.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 26, 2008 21:31

I was never a huge Thorogood fan, saw him in '81 when he opened in Philly for the Stones. He is repetitive and boring, IMO.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: October 26, 2008 21:38

Boring? Open your ears

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: October 26, 2008 21:39

I tend to agree.. half an hour is good fun but a whole show..

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Date: October 26, 2008 22:40

mickschix
I was never a huge Thorogood fan, saw him in '81 when he opened in Philly for the Stones. He is repetitive and boring, IMO.

I do admit ole George can "go on" a bit, my sweet Debra!(especially on the 81 PPV-I didnt think he ever gonna stop "Reelin and Rockin"). But I do enjoy his smaller shows and think if you saw him in a club style atmosphere you would enjoy it a lot more.

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: October 28, 2008 20:41

i saw him open up those philly shows also...thing that got my attention was the reception he got from the home town while Journey was more or less pushed off by the crowd even though considering they had a top single and album that day...george did go on for a bit longer than he maybe should have that day(s).

Posted by: Neil F ()
Date: October 28, 2008 21:10

I saw him with the Stones in Buffalo '81. It was cloudy and it started to rain. He declared "they would rock the clouds away" and never missed a beat as he cranked out his set. By the time he was done the sun was out. (of course maybe Keith was in the back wagging his rainstick). Journey came out a played a dull 45 minute set. The crowd sat on their hands during their set. Just waiting for them to finish so the Stones could come out.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: October 28, 2008 22:24

I saw GT in a club about seven years ago and he was the king of rock and roll imo. Just a great show.

As far a Stones connections go, I have a pretty much unlistenable bootleg somewhere of what must be a 1982 GT show in a club in Holland with Mick singing on a couple of tracks. I suppose he was opening for the Stones at that time and Mick came down to the club to see his set.

I'm tired, I'm tired of doing what I'm told.
Things are moving way too slow.

Date: October 28, 2008 23:35

Neil F
I saw him with the Stones in Buffalo '81. It was cloudy and it started to rain.

Did ya toot your horn for a passin' lane?!!!!!!!!

Date: October 29, 2008 00:46

george said recently in an interview that he might stop doing records and just do shows from now on... i hope he doesn't...

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 29, 2008 02:58

cbtaco19
I saw GT in a club about seven years ago and he was the king of rock and roll imo. Just a great show.

As far a Stones connections go, I have a pretty much unlistenable bootleg somewhere of what must be a 1982 GT show in a club in Holland with Mick singing on a couple of tracks. I suppose he was opening for the Stones at that time and Mick came down to the club to see his set.

That was the gig in het "Paard" in the Hague. There are some great pictures of that.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 29, 2008 13:52

roundnround
george said recently in an interview that he might stop doing records and just do shows from now on... i hope he doesn't...

I stopped buying his records after MAVERICK (which, at least, in the 80's sounded absolutely awesome). His first three albums are also great and important, but taking the nature of his repertuare, is there really a need for further releases? I mean, has he about said everything he has to say already? (Well, this argument applies to many others as well, starting with AC/DC, but I stick to George. Some people. like Chuck Berry, made the conclusion a long time ago.)

I haven't followed his career since MAVERICK - I remember hearing "If you don't start drinking or I'm gonna leave" (what a line!) or something like that, but please can anyone educate me a bit of his career (catalog) since then.

Never seen the man alive, but I'd love to.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-29 13:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 29, 2008 23:54

cool smileyOh, my ears were OPEN unfortunately!! LOL! I defend my position...BORING, REPETITIVE....DULL,& ANNOYING.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: October 30, 2008 22:40

I have seen George twice and it was amazing! The man rocks the joint! >grinning smiley<

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2049
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home