Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: ABBA, "wrong or right"
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 9, 2013 15:21

The 70s was full of bad stuff. Abba were not the worst. Glam rock I dislike. Glam rodk was a reaction to what went before, but what went before was good!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 9, 2013 16:15

the blonde girl was one sexy lady.
rumours have it, she dated Jagger.

jeroen

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: February 9, 2013 16:58

John Lydon and Sid Vicious were fans of the band.

[louderthanwar.com]

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: February 9, 2013 17:13

Abba & Kiss were my (under 6) generation's equivalent of The Wiggles in the 70s! Some of their tracks are still good pop music, some are good to listen to for a laugh, some I choose to forget!

But at the same time, other music was being played at the same time. Eg. I'm watching a 'music clip' show in the 70s as a child, waiting for Abba, & also see early AC/DC, Stones, punk clips. Due to distance, OZ played many 'film clip' shows (Sounds, Countdown, GTK). Since Abba always had clips, they were huge here in 1976-77 - & most of their fans were probably kids!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 9, 2013 17:33

Great pop band, they were the best at what they did. And great song writers too, some of their compositions were really advanced and far from an easy throwaway pop stuff. Guilty pleasure? For a Stones' fan? Sure! :-)

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 9, 2013 18:27

Happy24
Great pop band, they were the best at what they did. And great song writers too, some of their compositions were really advanced and far from an easy throwaway pop stuff. Guilty pleasure? For a Stones' fan? Sure! :-)

nothing to feel guilty about. abba rocks. no exceptions.

Date: February 9, 2013 18:37

T&A
Happy24

I'll play 'Rock Me' in your honour T&A - bit of Bjorn for you! grinning smiley
And the first 45 I asked for at age 3.

Date: February 9, 2013 18:41

minorbyrd
T&A
Happy24

honey honey is my pers fave of theirs...play that one, too

Date: February 9, 2013 18:44

T&A
minorbyrd
T&A
Happy24

Yay! Those little 'pants' from Anna & Frida are something else! Sounds like you're an 'early Abba era' fan?

Date: February 9, 2013 18:50

minorbyrd
T&A
minorbyrd
T&A
Happy24

Yay! Those little 'pants' from Anna & Frida are something else! Sounds like you're an 'early Abba era' fan?

abba dabba doo

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 9, 2013 19:52

T&A
minorbyrd
T&A
minorbyrd
T&A
Happy24

abba dabba doo

Thats what Fred said...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-09 19:54 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 9, 2013 20:01

NICOS
Altough I don't have any record of them I did like a lot of ABBA's legs tunes, remember clear when the won the Eurovision Song Contest.

But saying they are in the same row as The Beatles and Elvis nooo.. think it sound a bit dated

I love Abba.

I also love this picture.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 9, 2013 22:28

If you want to become a composer you must have a Beatles and a Stones songbook and should have one of Abba. My favourite is Does your Mama know, sung by one of the guys. Never able to remember who was married to whom.

Date: February 9, 2013 22:31

Pete Townshend said SOS was the best pop song of all time.

Well.. I think they wrote quite a few that are in that league.

Date: February 9, 2013 22:45

GravityBoy

waterloo is awesome...truly awesome. i'm awed by it.

Date: February 9, 2013 22:51

T&A
GravityBoy

Does Your Mother Know...

That bass.

I used to love playing it in the band I was in.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 9, 2013 23:23

Although they lost me with their 1980 hit Pooper Scooper [Super Trouper], there were a lot of memorable quality songs over the years. I remember playing Dancing Queen [great bass lines!] on an 8-track hits package in 1977, and a few others are fondly remembered as well [I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do; Knowing Me, Knowing You; Take A Chance On Me; SOS], and there was certainly more than just a "pop" element to their songwriting, as certainly acclaimed lyricist Tim Rice thought so. How many ABBA fans know that Tim Rice recruited Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson to collaborate on his 1984 musical Chess?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 10, 2013 00:17

Glen Matlock admits to having knicked the opening to Pretty Vacant from SOS.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 10, 2013 00:41

abba were an incredible band, the downside is they wernt hip and trendy so people tend not to admit to liking them. the music they made was toe tapping dance music also some great ballads.

they made some great singles but the hidden album tracks were great too.

the arrival album was in my opinion the best they ever did.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2013 00:57

............................................................... Photos Rockeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Date: February 10, 2013 09:44

I'm disappointed there are not more pictures of Agnetha.

She had a lovely voice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-10 09:46 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 10, 2013 10:24

T&A
GravityBoy

you prolly couldn't escape if you wanted to.

Date: February 10, 2013 15:35

treaclefingers
T&A
GravityBoy

my faith in the board trustees here has been renewed. i fully expected a lotta abba-bashing (ab-ba-shing, if you prefer)...and it's a pleasant detour from the norm that folks refrained from hating anything that's not stonesy. i've informed bv that i will be re-upping my iorr membership for another term.

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: February 10, 2013 15:55

I basically grew up on ABBA, and love them to this day. Some of their later songs like "Knowing Me, Knowing You" or "When All Is Said And Done" had pretty great, deep lyrics too. Anyhow, one of my fave ABBA tunes is this one - an early pop ditty called "Bang-A-Boomerang", which never fails to put a smile on my face:

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 10, 2013 16:50

If I should pick one song, it would be The Winner Takes It All - amazing by all means

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 10, 2013 17:07

T&A
treaclefingers
T&A
GravityBoy

my faith in the board trustees here has been renewed. i fully expected a lotta abba-bashing (ab-ba-shing, if you prefer)...and it's a pleasant detour from the norm that folks refrained from hating anything that's not stonesy. i've informed bv that i will be re-upping my iorr membership for another term.

You better be damn well buying the next round as well! smileys with beer

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 10, 2013 17:10

I hereby nominate this thread for "IORR Zombie thread of the year"... so far.

So what ever happened to this group? Why did ABBA call it quits?

EDIT- FROM WIKI
Breaking up [en.wikipedia.org]

During the band's active years, Fältskog and Ulvaeus were a married couple, as were Lyngstad and Andersson, although both couples later divorced. At the height of their popularity, both relationships were suffering strain which ultimately resulted in the collapse of the Ulvaeus-Fältskog marriage in 1979 and the Andersson-Lyngstad marriage in 1981. These relationship changes were reflected in the group's music[citation needed], with later compositions including more introspective lyrics.

ABBA has never officially announced the end of the group, but it has long been considered dissolved. Their last public performance together as ABBA was on the British TV programme The Late, Late Breakfast Show (live from Stockholm) on 11 December 1982. In January 1983, Fältskog started recording sessions for a solo album, as Lyngstad had successfully released her album Something's Going On some months earlier. Ulvaeus and Andersson, meanwhile, started songwriting sessions for the musical Chess. In interviews at the time, Björn and Benny denied the split of ABBA ("Who are we without our ladies? Initials of Brigitte Bardot?"), and Lyngstad and Fältskog kept claiming in interviews that ABBA would come together for a new album repeatedly during 1983 and 1984. Internal strife between the group and their manager escalated and the band members sold their shares in Polar Music during 1983. Except for a TV appearance in 1986, the foursome did not come together publicly again until they were reunited at the Swedish premiere of the Mamma Mia! movie on 4 July 2008.

In an interview with the Sunday Telegraph, following the premiere, Ulvaeus and Andersson confirmed that there was nothing that could entice them back on stage again. Ulvaeus said: "We will never appear on stage again. [...] There is simply no motivation to re-group. Money is not a factor and we would like people to remember us as we were. Young, exuberant, full of energy and ambition. I remember Robert Plant saying Led Zeppelin were a cover band now because they cover all their own stuff. I think that hit the nail on the head."[33] However, on 3 January 2011, Fältskog, who has been long considered to be the most reclusive member of the group and possibly also the major obstacle to any reunion, raised the possibility of reuniting for a one-off engagement. She admitted that she has not yet brought the idea up to the other three members.

I would never admit to liking this song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-10 17:21 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 10, 2013 17:12

This threadstarter, "Anonymous user", written in black without any link, shouldn`t by chance be BV?

I was quite crazy `bout Agnetha at he time, but as you get older, your eyes become more critical, I guess.

Abba did some really banal and simple song structures that to me always have been unnerving, such as Mamma Mia, "Money, Money, Money", Angeleyes, Does Your Mother Know?. The other of their best known songs are great, plus they have some lesser known, really fine ones.

Date: February 10, 2013 17:12

treaclefingers
T&A
treaclefingers
T&A
GravityBoy

You better be damn well buying the next round as well! smileys with beer

round-tine?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 10, 2013 17:26

It almost feels like a confession, but I like a lot of their songs.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1156
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home