Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Honky Tonk WOMEN - 81
Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 22, 2008 23:09

More Hot Rocks
An abolute embarrasment. 78 and 81 were terrible. Give me the 89 to present anyday. Can you imagine Jagger comming out on stage with his Michael Jackson plether yellow jacket and jets Jersey. No those were't the days. Licks and A Bigger Bang are!!

Hrmm...I'm glad you love the new music, or are you basing your tour preference on fashion?

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 22, 2008 23:53

scottkeef
I agree,django! Of course I'll never miss a tour but I wish the Stones would just go out by themselves(of course they need a bassist and Bobby Keyes needs to be there) and let the chips fall. I would rather hear Ron and Keith sing b/u off key than a whole chorus! I dont know if the guys have the stamina for it but thats my dream tour. And as long as its a dream tour just take MT along and let him and Ron switch off on lead/bass duties. And of course I dont know this but I suspect More Hot Rocks never saw the Stones on the older tours live!

I never saw the stones line pre 1982 but can clearly see this is when were superior live. I grew up on the LLSTNT movie and was hooked. HTW with all the girls from the movie is amazing. Shame most/all the songs are cut cos they were on fire in these performances! Does anyone know exactly why When The Whip Comes Down wasn't included on LSTNT but is on the Rocks Off release?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-22 23:55 by Paul Kersey.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2008 00:50

More Hot Rocks
We get tunes like Can't You Hear....Sway..Shine A Light, You Got the Silver, If You can't rock Me, alot of deep cuts now. back then we got Let It Bleed and Time Is on My Side and............ugh.......Neighbors.

Half the bloody show in 81-82 were songs which hadnt been played before or in some cases for a decade or more. (LSTNT, Under My thumb, Time is on my side, let It Bleed (never played before))

A lot of deep cuts now? Three quarters of the show has barely changed in the last few tours and half of it consists of songs that never get dropped. Youre lucky to get 1 or 2 'deep cuts' per show and its usually stuff they played on recent tours anyway.

Oh, and in 1978 and 1981 they still played new songs.

No contest.

Date: October 23, 2008 00:51

More Hot Rocks
Paul Kersey
EVERY song that has been played 1989- that has also been played pre 1982 was played better pre 82. Give me an example of when this isn't the case?

There two many to mention. How about JJF. never sounded better in 94 and 99.

better than 1969? You must be joking.

Date: October 23, 2008 00:52

Jeffer
Don't forget that even Leah Wood appears in the end of the song.
She walks towards Ronnie and he hugs her. She's about 2 years old at this time.

her singing was better on that tour!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 23, 2008 01:00

Paul Kersey
EVERY song that has been played 1989- that has also been played pre 1982 was played better pre 82. Give me an example of when this isn't the case?

JJF - Best from 94 on. Also good on 1969 tour.
Satisfaction - Best on the VL Tour by a million miles.
Just My Imagination - Equal versions from Hampton '81 and SAL.
Rip This Joint (1995).
Neighbours (Licks).
Respectable (B2cool smiley.

etc. etc. There's many examples of this IMO.

Many examples of pre 1982 also exist of course. Rocks Off was never better than in Sydney 1973 (One of their best live versions of any song ever IMO). LSTNT was great in 81. UMT too (Though there are great versions from B2B and ABcool smiley.

There's also equal examples. Like Brown Sugar. Great in 1972 and 3. Great today.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 23, 2008 01:04

JumpingKentFlash
Paul Kersey

Rip This Joint (1995).
Neighbours (Licks).
Respectable (B2cool smiley

This will cause a riot; Kent; and rightly so.... Please edit, before somebody sees your statements

Date: October 23, 2008 01:09

Erik_Snow
JumpingKentFlash
Paul Kersey

Rip This Joint (1995).
Neighbours (Licks).

This will cause a riot; Kent; and rightly so.... Please edit, before somebody sees your statements

Let 'em bring it if they want to. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 23, 2008 01:37

OK, "Shrub"!! HA HA. Honestly though theres no need to argue the obvious.

Date: October 23, 2008 16:15

Erik_Snow
JumpingKentFlash
Paul Kersey

Rip This Joint (1995).
Neighbours (Licks).

You think JJF with female backing singers is good?
Satisfaction? 1969 or 1982-82 are far better.
Imagination - 1981, SAL is ok but not as good as 1981
RIP - Brussels 1973 is better. Go refresh your memory here..
Neighbours - LSTNT version is rock. Listen to Jaggers singing. On the Licks version its too weak. Again its a no no with female backing singing.
Respectable - I take it you haven't heard the 1978 versions?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 23, 2008 16:24

JumpingKentFlash
Rip This Joint (1995).
Neighbours (Licks).

I just don't know what to say...I think you listen to a different band than I do. It's a bit like saying Elvis was more sexy in '77 than in '56, or that you prefer Sinatra's singing in '95 over his singing in '60.

And how can a version with Darryl Jones be any better than with Bil Wyman?

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-23 16:29 by Mathijs.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 23, 2008 16:30

How can a version with Darryl Jones be any better than with Bil Wyman?

-Mathijs-

It's pefectly simpelgrinning smileyarryl Jones is a much better bassplayer?

Date: October 23, 2008 16:31

Mathijs
JumpingKentFlash
Rip This Joint (1995).
Neighbours (Licks).

I just don't know what to say...I think you listen to a different band than I do.

Mathijs

I do listen to a different band than you. I like them today, and you don't. It's a well established fact.

Darryl Jones is way more versatile than Wyman. Agreed Jones don't swing in the Bill way, but he has so many other talents.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 23, 2008 16:58

JumpingKentFlash

but he has so many other talents.

Like?

Mathijs

Date: October 23, 2008 16:59

JumpingKentFlash
Mathijs
JumpingKentFlash
Rip This Joint (1995).
Neighbours (Licks).

I just don't know what to say...I think you listen to a different band than I do.

Mathijs

I do listen to a different band than you. I like them today, and you don't. It's a well established fact.

Darryl Jones is way more versatile than Wyman. Agreed Jones don't swing in the Bill way, but he has so many other talents.

Yeah but you also like them in the pre 82 era and it seriously baffles me how you can prefer 89 onwards versions better. Do you actually like female backing rather than Keith?

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: October 23, 2008 17:57

I was there. Before the show started a guy I was sitting by said something was gonna happen with girls because he knew some of them. I believe they were all girls from the University (except as noted). It was very exciting being there that day. We knew they were filming early on because a helicopter was flying around with a cameraman hanging out the door. We had to wait extra long between Thurogood and the Stones for lighting purposes I believe. Keith and Ron looked great as they were dressed for filming and the mic stands were set up a bit different so the cameras could film the boys all together. I'm sure the girls were a special touch just for the movie and I always thought Mick running into the audience during Let Me Go was just for the movie too, but someone here said he did it in Hampton as well. Is this true? Did he do it in Hampton as part of that filmed event? How many times did he do that? He did not do it earlier in the tour when I saw them in Boulder, CO. Btw, I loved that tour and agree with those who say '89 onwards is Vegas Stones. And relative to that tour they were quite polished by Phoenix as compared to Boulder and I preferred the Boulder shows then and still do after getting boots of them.

Date: October 23, 2008 18:08

Bet it was a great tour to see live thumbprint! Wish I was there to see it. The Phoenix gig, judging by the many boots from the tour was one of the best performance-wise.

Date: October 23, 2008 18:09

Mathijs
JumpingKentFlash

but he has so many other talents.

Like?

Mathijs

Listen to Miles Davis "you'r under arrest"confused smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 23, 2008 18:11

Listen to Miles Davis "you'r under arrest"

The only time I've heard "You're Under arrest" was by The Police! smileys with beer

Date: October 23, 2008 18:18

Elmo Lewis
Listen to Miles Davis "you'r under arrest"

The only time I've heard "You're Under arrest" was by The Police! smileys with beer

Nice joke.
You should check out M.Davis "you'r under arrest".
D.Jones is slightly different than Bill.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 23, 2008 18:23

Paul Kersey

Do you actually like female backing rather than Keith?

It's like comparing apples with oranges.

Keith's backing is essential to certain songs and, as a matter of fact, is still there (who does not sing anymore is Ronnie).

Female backing is essential to others, and is well rooted in the tradition of r'n'b, soul, gospel, which is where the stones music comes from.

So if you ask me if the band sounds better with or without Lisa and Bernard (and BC), well my answer is WITH them all the way.

C

Date: October 23, 2008 18:26

thumbprint
I was there. Before the show started a guy I was sitting by said something was gonna happen with girls because he knew some of them. I believe they were all girls from the University (except as noted). It was very exciting being there that day. We knew they were filming early on because a helicopter was flying around with a cameraman hanging out the door. We had to wait extra long between Thurogood and the Stones for lighting purposes I believe. Keith and Ron looked great as they were dressed for filming and the mic stands were set up a bit different so the cameras could film the boys all together. I'm sure the girls were a special touch just for the movie and I always thought Mick running into the audience during Let Me Go was just for the movie too, but someone here said he did it in Hampton as well. Is this true? Did he do it in Hampton as part of that filmed event? How many times did he do that? He did not do it earlier in the tour when I saw them in Boulder, CO. Btw, I loved that tour and agree with those who say '89 onwards is Vegas Stones. And relative to that tour they were quite polished by Phoenix as compared to Boulder and I preferred the Boulder shows then and still do after getting boots of them.

At last, someone interested in the girls!

C

Date: October 23, 2008 18:29

I can accept female backing in certain songs. Gospel, soul etc. but what I can't accept is rock songs like JJF. They didn't need all those backing singers in the said pre 1982 live era which is IMO when they sounded best. They have lost their edge. Always play the safe game. No raw power. Every night sounds the same. Every version of every song sounds the same. That's why I can't get into the modern live stones because they NEED all the extra musicians onstage with them.

Date: October 23, 2008 20:00

Paul Kersey
I can accept female backing in certain songs. Gospel, soul etc. but what I can't accept is rock songs like JJF. They didn't need all those backing singers in the said pre 1982 live era which is IMO when they sounded best. They have lost their edge. Always play the safe game. No raw power. Every night sounds the same. Every version of every song sounds the same. That's why I can't get into the modern live stones because they NEED all the extra musicians onstage with them.

The issue is not if they need them or not, but if the music works better with them yes or no. Generally speaking (with exceptions), I do think they DO add to the music, of course as it is arranged today.

Probably the answer would be no for the 78 / 82 period. Those arrangements were just perfect as they were. No need of bu singers, no need of long solos.

But if you go back to the Taylor years, yes, I think that I would have loved to have a Merry Clayton on stage!

C

Date: October 23, 2008 22:13

I thinks its case of agree to disagree. I personally can't see the need for them now or back then. Merry Clayton over Mick Taylor's guitar solo on GS? No thanks!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 24, 2008 00:56

thumbprint

Thank you for your story and to answer your question : it´s true that Mick ran into the audience during Let Me Go in Hampton.

To be a bit more precise,he used left and right wing "catwalks".

What a good show and concert it was...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 24, 2008 01:18

how anyone can prefer the 89-present day tours over 82 and before is beyond me, the raw energy and guitars being in front are unmatched by the later day vegas tours with tons and tons of help in the backround, but hey thats just me

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: October 24, 2008 01:37

when i heard horns during sympathy for the devil during the 99 tour i said uh-oh......turned out to be one of the most rippin' tours....but horns, backup singers, extra guitarists, etc. all go to one purpose: to cover for guitar playing that no longer makes it...for singing that no longer does it....and for guys that are just getting old...of course they were betterin 78-81---------just like fans will say--oh yes they were better in 2002-07 than they are now in 2018........age old argument that will never end but what the hell,....if they do it one more time you will all be there so what does it matter??

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: October 24, 2008 04:55

I am watching "lets Spend the night together" the Ashby film right now on cable....Its okay, but nowhere the power they once had. Good stuff, but drowns in comparison to "T.A.M.I"; "Gimme Shelter" or "Ladies and Gents...."

Never saw the big deal about the 81 tour....average, only, on a good night, and I saw a lot of these shows live.

89, bad guitar sounds.....94 pretty good, 97-99, some superb moments, but alas, some major forshadowing of how bad they would get. Licks, STUNNING, sometimes---Orpheum, Tower, etc. US ABB, phenonmenal, Europe ABB, Horrible, except for maybe the Scotland show....

JR

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 24, 2008 06:22

Ive GOTS A question... was The pheonix show the only show where they had the girls come out like this? I talked to someone who went to the Candlestick Park show and she said they did it there... Im wondering if maybe she's getting her memory confused with this movie, or do they do this at this at the SF show during honkey tonk women as well?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1233
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home