Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Honky Tonk WOMEN - 81
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 22, 2008 19:25

HTW 81

Saw the film once again yesterday: great vid of probably one of the best tours ever!!!

Now who can tell me more about all the ladies on stage?

Was it Jagger's idea?

I see that on the Hampton version there were no HT girls, was it a special for the film or was it done other times?

Who was on stage? I guess I saw Jarry Hall but am not sure. Who made the casting? Was there an ad on the papers?

Does anyone know any of the girls?

Does anyone of them post on / read IORR?

I think this topic was never discussed here! And, for what matters, topic is the right word. Topa in Italian translates beaver ...

Frank: Nice beaver!
Jane: [producing a stuffed beaver] Thank you. I just had it stuffed.

Does the beaver thread still exist?

C

Re: Honky Tonk WOMEN - 81
Posted by: the juf ()
Date: October 22, 2008 19:35

Shirley Watts is there too...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 22, 2008 19:51

An abolute embarrasment. 78 and 81 were terrible. Give me the 89 to present anyday. Can you imagine Jagger comming out on stage with his Michael Jackson plether yellow jacket and jets Jersey. No those were't the days. Licks and A Bigger Bang are!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-22 19:56 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 22, 2008 19:53

More Hot Rocks
An abolute embarrasment. 78 and 81 were terrible. Give me the 89 to present anyday. can you imagine comming out on stage with his Michael Jackson plether yellow jacket. No those went the days. Licks and A Bigger Bang are!!

That is the most laughable comment I have ever heard! Hahaha!

Date: October 22, 2008 19:54

Paul Kersey
More Hot Rocks
An abolute embarrasment. 78 and 81 were terrible. Give me the 89 to present anyday. can you imagine comming out on stage with his Michael Jackson plether yellow jacket. No those went the days. Licks and A Bigger Bang are!!

The Stones were terrible then. Thank GOD they don't put on shows like that anymore.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 22, 2008 19:56

The scene is from the LSTNT movie, isn't it? Sun Devil Stadium?

I thought the 1981 tour was lots of fun - very sloppy musically, but who cared?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 22, 2008 19:58

Think it was only done for this show, don't know the details though. Loved the 81 tour, probably my favorite. Last tour where the music came from just the Stones, not an entourage of backing musicians. Raw and filled with energy.

Date: October 22, 2008 19:58

More Hot Rocks
Paul Kersey
More Hot Rocks

The Stones were terrible then. Thank GOD they don't put on shows like that anymore.

Each to their own. Completely disagree with you though!

Date: October 22, 2008 20:02

We get tunes like Can't You Hear....Sway..Shine A Light, You Got the Silver, If You can't rock Me, alot of deep cuts now. back then we got Let It Bleed and Time Is on My Side and............ugh.......Neighbors.

Date: October 22, 2008 20:05

Yes but they were played properly back then. What's wrong with Let It Bleed, TIOMS and Neighbours? They've played all these in recent tours and nowhere near as good as the 1981 tour! IYCRM played better in 75 too.

Date: October 22, 2008 20:07

EVERY song that has been played 1989- that has also been played pre 1982 was played better pre 82. Give me an example of when this isn't the case?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-22 20:07 by Paul Kersey.

Date: October 22, 2008 20:08

Elmo Lewis
The scene is from the LSTNT movie, isn't it? Sun Devil Stadium?

Yes!!

C

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 22, 2008 20:14

After 1982 the Stones followed the formula of Mick's solo tours. Try to make the songs sound as much like the studio versions by using loads of backing musicians and no longer have Keith sing much of the backing vocals. Also time songs based on the lighting effects even if the music has to take the back seat. And those 80s synths on so many classic Stones songs in 89/90 were painful.. a keyboard intro to Bitch made me cringe.

Date: October 22, 2008 20:18

"a keyboard intro to Bitch made me cringe"

Couldn't agree more!

Date: October 22, 2008 20:28

Paul Kersey
EVERY song that has been played 1989- that has also been played pre 1982 was played better pre 82. Give me an example of when this isn't the case?

There two many to mention. How about JJF. never sounded better in 94 and 99.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 22, 2008 20:29

Honky Tonk Women hasnt been right SINCE the 81-82 Tour IMHO. The piano solo and xtra chorus ruins the flow of the song. Its meant to be 3 min of shufflin'
down home funk and the xtra frills take that away!

Date: October 22, 2008 20:29

68, 69, 72, 73? JJF with female backing singers? How can that be good?

Date: October 22, 2008 20:30

More Hot Rocks
Paul Kersey

Name some more...

Date: October 22, 2008 20:35

I always thought the 99 version of JJF sure was a big improvement(to strip it down good and dirty) but the 69-71 versions cant be beat!!

Date: October 22, 2008 20:45

Why don't we go back to the girls?

This tour is better than that is a trite subject!

C

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 22, 2008 21:05

More Hot Rocks

Can you really tell the difference between the 1989/1990/1994/1995/1997/1998/1999/2002 [etc.] of that one?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 22, 2008 21:17

my least favourite tour.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 22, 2008 21:23

i want to go back in time to 1978, 1981 tours .killer ,raw , and wild .like a out of control runaway train !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 22, 2008 21:24

When people here slag this tour the things often mentioned are Mick's outfits and the way he sings.. but how about the guitars, Keith played like he had something to prove and he totally controlled the music with his guitar. And Ronnie and Keith's interplay was perhaps at its peak.

Not to mention Ron and Keith did all the backing vocals like the New Barbarian days. And the Stones played so many old songs for the first time in ages and had a hit record that they played with confidence.

Hampton in my opinion is one of the greatest shows the Stones ever put on.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 22, 2008 21:30

More Hot Rocks

thats like your opinion, man.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 22, 2008 21:36

All I can say is I was at the Madison Square Garden November 13th 1981 show and there was never more excitement in the streets and inside Madison Square Garden then that night...it was amazing...and I've seen just about every MSG show since...the best one since then was January 20, 2006...that was close to amazing...I love the 1981 tour for it's "Sloppy Perfection"!

PECMAN

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 22, 2008 21:37

I think the 2 single best versions of JJF that I have ever heard are Ya Yas 1969 and Hampton Roads 1981.

Love the 1981 tour.

Posted by: django ()
Date: October 22, 2008 21:46

More Hot Rocks
An abolute embarrasment. 78 and 81 were terrible. Give me the 89 to present anyday. Can you imagine Jagger comming out on stage with his Michael Jackson plether yellow jacket and jets Jersey. No those were't the days. Licks and A Bigger Bang are!!

Nonsense! The 78/81 tours were the last tours with the Stones as a guitar-driven (Keith's) band. On the following tours they became more and more Mick's band with all that side musicians and background singers. Not that these changes were completely bad but it's a very different band IMO. The 78 tour is my favourite together with 72/73. Unfortunately I can evaluate that only from the well known boots as my first tour was 1982.

Posted by: Jeffer ()
Date: October 22, 2008 22:16

Don't forget that even Leah Wood appears in the end of the song.
She walks towards Ronnie and he hugs her. She's about 2 years old at this time.

Date: October 22, 2008 22:22

I agree,django! Of course I'll never miss a tour but I wish the Stones would just go out by themselves(of course they need a bassist and Bobby Keyes needs to be there) and let the chips fall. I would rather hear Ron and Keith sing b/u off key than a whole chorus! I dont know if the guys have the stamina for it but thats my dream tour. And as long as its a dream tour just take MT along and let him and Ron switch off on lead/bass duties. And of course I dont know this but I suspect More Hot Rocks never saw the Stones on the older tours live!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home