Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Did Ronnie or Mick Taylor Ever Meet Brian?
Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: October 23, 2008 12:16

Filip020169
"I find Ronnie's MT "stage fright" story curious. I have never heard anything remotely close to indicating Taylor lacks confidence in his playing. There are many instances in his career that show he does not even find rehearsals a prerequisite to walking on stage. And then there is that teenager approaching Mayall to sit in for EC! Taylor knows he's a great guitarist. If there is any speck truth to this story, I doubt if reluctance by Taylor to play was due to lack of confidence."

I saw Mick T. play a small club in London, somewhere in 1999 or 2000; his stage fright and shyness was absolutely clear i.m.h.o.- I saw him duck behind some amps, a.o., to be out of sight for just a while... the 200 crowd was way to close for his personal wellbeing. (to be clear on this: we all were about 3 to 4 metres away from him...)

"The irony to this story is that I have seen and heard Woody absolutely paralyzed on stage, incapable of producing anything."
That's called: 'being drunk', I guess!?

"Where he gets HIS confidence is beyond me."
That's called: "Rock'n'Roll".

I saw Taylor play a few weeks ago, I was near the front and during the first couple of songs you see his fingers shaking slightly. There was an obvious slight nervousness at the start of the gig which didn't last and overall he appeared confident. I imagine he feels nerves sometimes, but most performers do even the seasoned pros.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2008 12:35

Filip020169

"The irony to this story is that I have seen and heard Woody absolutely paralyzed on stage, incapable of producing anything."
That's called: 'being drunk', I guess!?

"Where he gets HIS confidence is beyond me."
That's called: "Rock'n'Roll".

I would say it is other way round...

- Doxa

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 23, 2008 12:56

WeLoveYou
[www.iorr.org] - 4th paragraph

WeLoveYou
They also discussed Ronnie Wood, and Mick said that he was the first other musician he ever got to know when he was young. He then recounted the well known story about Ronnie standing in for him at one of Mick’s gigs (don’t think it was the Bluesbreakers, probably a previous band, the Gods?). However I never knew what actually happened that night: Mick said that he’d smoked a joint and then drunk a pint of cider…then as his mind started going a bit funny (“I started hallucinating”), he said he realised that he just couldn’t play…he had to get Ronnie to do the gig for him. Ronnie has said that Mick was too nervous to play, but really his mind was screwed up by dope!!

Thanks a lot. I must have missed the thread in may this year. So I didn't know Mick Taylor
himself talked about the matter.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 23, 2008 14:01

I thought that when Mick T joined the Stones, the press release at the time referred to this "clean living vegetarian".
Unlike Mr. Jones of course.
Another myth smashed!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 23, 2008 17:12

Ronnie was at the Camden Theater gig in March 1964. He can be heard yelling "Yea!" with all the teenage girls just after "You Better Move On." Ronnie walked up to the band after they finished their set with "Mona." Ronnie walked straight up to Brian and said, "I'm going to replace you one day." Brian pulled a nanker at Ronnie and then went round to Ronnie's house and pulled his Mom.

If you believe Ronnie was at Hyde Park, you should also believe this story is Truth.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 23, 2008 18:07

Rocky Dijon
Ronnie was at the Camden Theater gig in March 1964. He can be heard yelling "Yea!" with all the teenage girls just after "You Better Move On." Ronnie walked up to the band after they finished their set with "Mona." Ronnie walked straight up to Brian and said, "I'm going to replace you one day." Brian pulled a nanker at Ronnie and then went round to Ronnie's house and pulled his Mom.

If you believe Ronnie was at Hyde Park, you should also believe this story is Truth.

If this story is true "You Better Move On"was rather appropriate, for that moment.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 23, 2008 18:25

Its a joke, my friend. The last line should have tipped you if nothing else.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 23, 2008 21:23

I think in Bill Wyman's book there's a story of Ronnie seeing the Stones in the 60s in some kind of tent, apparently he tripped when trying to approach the band/stage.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 23, 2008 22:13

Wait, remember the Birds had quite a following, and several singles on Decca and (Stigwood's) Reaction labels before Wood split to join the Jeff Beck Group as second GUITARIST at the end of '66. Wood may have filled in for Taylor's Gods, as Nico's site indicates, for he must have known fellow God (well, mere mortal imo) Jon Lord when they recorded w/ Bird Kim Gardner & Twink under the prescient name Santa Barbara Machine Head in the fall of 1966 (3 songs often issued on Immediate comps). Additionally Wood filled in for K. Relf (probably on harp, which Ron used to play a lot in his early bands) at one or more Yardbirds gigs circa '64. So he was in the scene, lived with Hendrix, had a rep (seek out the circa 2000 issue of Ugly Things 'zine with 20-30 or so pages about The Birds - and if you can copy it send it to me, as mine was stolen by one Huck Keys (kids of cool semi-famous people cant be totally nuts? NOT) blah blah even if he did or didn't meet Brian (and what "Ronnie's fantasies"?)
Also has anyone mentioned that of course later Wood and Taylor worked together on the first 2 Wood solo albums (1974 & '75 - 'It's Unholy' is brilliant, one imagines theyd be a fine guitar team if reality wasn't as it was/is). And Ron/MT worked on the mid '70s John Phillips albums produced by MJ/KR. Since Keith and Taylor sound like they were both addicted and somewhat estranged (MT no show at some Munich IORR sessions) by '74 perhaps the fact Taylor was on Wood's albums isn't because Mick or Keith invited him to tag along, but because Taylor had known Wood since the '60s. In terms of Taylor's stagefright, remember he's a year or 2 younger than Wood, a mere 20 or 21 (depending on his correct b'date) when he joined the RS, who were the # 2 group in the world together 7 years by 1969. Brian did play with his friend Hendrix, certainly on the alternate 'All Along The Watchtower' if not the contested instrumentals, and Hendrix guested with the Beck Group on occasion during the same time period, so some sort of RW/MT mtg is possible if hardly certain.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 23, 2008 22:41

A couple of points, re Taylor's 'stagefright'. Having intellectual confidence in his talent as a musician, or for that matter anyone's talent or virtuosity, be s/he a musician/writer/actor etc doesn't rule out 'stagefright' (or writer's block). And many great musicians have fallen into the belief they need to take substances to boost 'confidence', stagefright, or shyness. Taylor has displayed an obvious shyness, discomfort looking at the audience both solo in small clubshows I've attended and in RS footage, especially in '69. He looks down, his hair obscuring his face. That doesn't mean he might already had a rapport with KR and felt obligated/comfortable walking over and offering help to K. This was of course also the first Stones gig - and a one-off - in England in 3 years, which in the 60s was an eternity.
As for Wood's stagefright, anyone seen Faces can't help but recall how relaxed, at-home, connected to the audience, and loose they were, qualities that made me love seeing them. Later on, once addicted to cocaine and later alcohol, Ron like many others may have felt some panic or insecurity without chemical boosters, which is common as one becomes more and more dependent...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 24, 2008 00:12

>> I think in Bill Wyman's book there's a story of Ronnie seeing the Stones in the 60s in some kind of tent <<

in august 1964 at the Richmond Jazz & Blues Festival. Ronnie's talked & written about it numerous times.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: October 27, 2008 20:54

Ronnie did meet Brian shortly, but Brian was in 'another world' during this meeting. [source: Ron Wood's book]

Mick Taylor have never met Brian.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home